So, apparently WW is pretty good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Is it weird I find Dr. Poison more memorable than any Marvel villain (except Loki)?

Just the cool mask design, the mannerism and some scenes like her laughing with the general about the gas mask.

inu-kun:
Is it weird I find Dr. Poison more memorable than any Marvel villain (except Loki)?

Just the cool mask design, the mannerism and some scenes like her laughing with the general about the gas mask.

Not really. Marvel has always had the weakest villains.

But personally I think she was a boring villain. All of them were.

Seen the movie, it was good......but it was WAY too safe like it feels like anyother Superhero movie. And I think it could have been alot better if it was in WW2.

At the very least this movie make me love Gal Gadot Wonder Woman.

Samtemdo8:
Seen the movie, it was good......but it was WAY too safe like it feels like anyother Superhero movie. And I think it could have been alot better if it was in WW2.

I think safe is what DC needed right now. The last three films have all been relatively risky, and it obviously backfired on them based on the critical reception.

WW2 is debatable. I mean, yeah, Captain America basically got there first, but it's more than that. WWI had a sense of both moral ambiguity - neither side was really morally justified - and just brutal pointlessness; the war ended with nothing that could rationally be called a victory. The film deliberately exploited that to make the point that war is kind of pointless and destructive. That point would've been blunted if it was set during WW2, because we were fighting the fucking Nazis, like...the definition of "bad guy." They were racist shitheads in all-black uniforms with skulls on their fucking helmets, for Christ's sake. It's hard to justify not fighting guys like that! How the hell would Wonder Woman have been able to say "I SEE NOW THAT VIOLENCE IS NOT THE ANSWER" in that context?

And anyway, it's still possible that a later Wonder Woman sequel will take place in the mid-century rather than the modern day. Wait, I just realised: if they do that, people will refer to the Wonder Woman sequel as WW2. That's hilarious, and must happen.

bastardofmelbourne:

Samtemdo8:

I think safe is what DC needed right now. The last three films have all been relatively risky, and it obviously backfired on them based on the critical reception.

WW2 is debatable. I mean, yeah, Captain America basically got there first, but it's more than that. WWI had a sense of both moral ambiguity - neither side was really morally justified - and just brutal pointlessness; the war ended with nothing that could rationally be called a victory. The film deliberately exploited that to make the point that war is kind of pointless and destructive. That point would've been blunted if it was set during WW2, because we were fighting the fucking Nazis, like...the definition of "bad guy." They were racist shitheads in all-black uniforms with skulls on their fucking helmets, for Christ's sake. It's hard to justify not fighting guys like that! How the hell would Wonder Woman have been able to say "I SEE NOW THAT VIOLENCE IS NOT THE ANSWER" in that context?

And anyway, it's still possible that a later Wonder Woman sequel will take place in the mid-century rather than the modern day. Wait, I just realised: if they do that, people will refer to the Wonder Woman sequel as WW2. That's hilarious, and must happen.

I think it was also set in WW 1 so that the Amazon beach scene wouldn't be so one sided. In WW 1, there were still people using cavalry and swords. So the idea of mounted archers taking on a group of soldiers with WW 1 era guns, is a bit more evenly matched. Or at least not so one sided that it would be a slaughter.

Happyninja42:

bastardofmelbourne:

Samtemdo8:

I think it was also set in WW 1 so that the Amazon beach scene wouldn't be so one sided. In WW 1, there were still people using cavalry and swords. So the idea of mounted archers taking on a group of soldiers with WW 1 era guns, is a bit more evenly matched. Or at least not so one sided that it would be a slaughter.

Not to mention they got to use the phrase "the war to end all wars"

Happyninja42:

Even World War II or Vietnam War-era soldiers could be fought with bows. It wasn't until the advent of Kevlar that modern soldiers were regularly equipped with significant body protection from arrows and even today few soldiers have face protection. The Amazons' main failing was their doctrine of advancing openly en masse (which is a bit strange given their emphasis on individual combat), not their weaponry. Which isn't to say that it wouldn't benefit them to upgrade.

Samtemdo8:

I'm still on the fence about her, she was good when she was being naive, but when she tried to be serious it just fell flat.

Movie was still alright though, a solid 7/10.

inu-kun:

I think that was the actress trying her damnedest, because there couldn't have been much on the page.

Samtemdo8:

Honestly most of the DCEU films have been safe, but the way this film is done, I prefer this. Also the film does a better job of the WWI aesthetic than WWII. The only time it doesn't work with that setting is with the evil German. Not Dr. Poison, her C.O. who apparently is using something that is like a precursor to the Venom stuff for Bane.

And yeah, I really dug Gal Gadot. I found her dull in BvS and the trailers, but she was fantastic in WW. Also most underrated bit: the ice cream scene.

Just saw it yesterday.

It's wonderful. You should be very proud.

Great Hera, this one actually has a good sense of humour. Not quite able to dethrone my top three CBMs, but I'm reminded of how I felt coming out of the first Iron Man film; a solid origin story for a previously snubbed hero that hits all the right bases without trying for anything beyond that and risking overreaching or getting too pretentious. If this had been the first DCEU film to come out I'd be psyched for more instead of pleasantly surprised.

WhiteFangofWhoa:
Just saw it yesterday.

It's wonderful. You should be very proud.

Great Hera, this one actually has a good sense of humour. Not quite able to dethrone my top three CBMs, but I'm reminded of how I felt coming out of the first Iron Man film; a solid origin story for a previously snubbed hero that hits all the right bases without trying for anything beyond that and risking overreaching or getting too pretentious. If this had been the first DCEU film to come out I'd be psyched for more instead of pleasantly surprised.

I'll never understand how cinemas in the States (or wherever you live) manage to keep showing movies for so long. They stopped having WW showings in my country weeks ago.

Bob_McMillan:

WhiteFangofWhoa:
snip

I'll never understand how cinemas in the States (or wherever you live) manage to keep showing movies for so long. They stopped having WW showings in my country weeks ago.

I'm Canadian and the usual rule is 1 month. It started showing 2 weeks ago, though I did notice that it only showed during the evening instead of multiple showings.

One thing I found amusing when checking the credits for a stinger (there isn't one, which I rather like after the deluge of cheap sequel hooks we've grown accustomed to) is an extra (she plays an Amazon civilian) whose first name is Ooooota Adepo. With 5 Os.

WhiteFangofWhoa:

Bob_McMillan:

WhiteFangofWhoa:
snip

I'm Canadian and the usual rule is 1 month. It started showing 2 weeks ago, though I did notice that it only showed during the evening instead of multiple showings.

One thing I found amusing when checking the credits for a stinger (there isn't one, which I rather like after the deluge of cheap sequel hooks we've grown accustomed to) is an extra (she plays an Amazon civilian) whose first name is Ooooota Adepo. With 5 Os.

Ugh that was annoying. I told my whole family to wait and see if there would be one and it sure was embarrassing when there wasn't. I don't even particularly want one, they just need to be fucking consistent. Suicide Squad had one, and I missed that.

Bob_McMillan:

I think it simply boils down to "is it bringing in enough money to keep making us sick stacks of cash? Yes? Ok keep it rolling then."

Happyninja42:

Bob_McMillan:

I think it simply boils down to "is it bringing in enough money to keep making us sick stacks of cash? Yes? Ok keep it rolling then."

Yeah, but what about new movies and stuff? Do ya'll really have that many theaters?

Bob_McMillan:

Happyninja42:

Bob_McMillan:

Yeah, but what about new movies and stuff? Do ya'll really have that many theaters?

Yes, actually. I can think of 3 theaters within 4 miles of my house, and they each have at least 16 screens. I don't even live in a heavily populated area, pretty much just a suburb.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here