So, apparently WW is pretty good.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Just saw this on msn

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/wonder-woman-here-are-the-first-reactions/ar-BBBi4KY

Apparently early chatter is that it's genuinely good. Not sure if this is simply in reaction to the other movies and how bad they were, but it seems to be relatively positive from early critics/viewers. That's optimistic at least, hopefully it will maintain the positive reaction, and be genuinely good.

Uh, you could blame me for not keeping up to date with movies, I guess, but when I first read the title, I thought you meant that you think highly of the World War. I assumed the first one. Then I thought it over and decided it doesn't really make sense. Especially since you didn't specify whether you meant the first or the second one (I doubt you're THAT old fashioned), so my next thought was "White Wolf". To which I agree, but then it seemed a bit odd somebody would just post a thread about them - didn't think they did something noteworthy recently. I finally had to check and see it's actually about Wonder Woman.

I am looking forward to it, cause it looks genuinely interesting.

DoPo:
Uh, you could blame me for not keeping up to date with movies, I guess, but when I first read the title, I thought you meant that you think highly of the World War. I assumed the first one. Then I thought it over and decided it doesn't really make sense. Especially since you didn't specify whether you meant the first or the second one (I doubt you're THAT old fashioned), so my next thought was "White Wolf". To which I agree, but then it seemed a bit odd somebody would just post a thread about them - didn't think they did something noteworthy recently. I finally had to check and see it's actually about Wonder Woman.

I thought Wild West, ie the forum here.

DoPo:

Heh, kudos on defaulting (eventually) to White Wolf. :D I approve Light For a Face Sir!

'True north hero without too much angst or cynicism'? Did I read that right? Could it be that they have actually learned from BvS?

In any case, of all the DC films this is the one I was really, really hoping to be good, because it could A) convince DC that viewers don't want to see just Batman 24/7, and B) lift the stigma and open the door for other female superheroes to get their time in the spotlight.

I wrote an origin story for this set in the present day with Ares as the main villain. That's how badly I hope this is well-received. If this movie isn't at least as good as my scribblings, I'll mail it to them.

I'll believe it when I see it. And I currently have no intention to see it whatsoever.

Sorry, but after MoS and BvS, I have absolutely no faith in DC.

Wasn't there similar positive buzz for BvS and Suicide Squad before it was opened up to wider reviews?

Hawki:
Wasn't there similar positive buzz for BvS and Suicide Squad before it was opened up to wider reviews?

Let's wait for the full reviews, folks. Early press is often not quite indicative of how a movie's going to be received by the masses (both audiences and critics).

WhiteFangofWhoa:

In any case, of all the DC films this is the one I was really, really hoping to be good, because it could A) convince DC that viewers don't want to see just Batman 24/7, and B) lift the stigma and open the door for other female superheroes to get their time in the spotlight.

Despite the asinine re-naming, I am looking forward to the Ms. Marvel movie thats...eventually coming.

Saelune:

Despite the asinine re-naming, I am looking forward to the Ms. Marvel movie thats...eventually coming.

You mean Captain Marvel?

I can't really comment, but "Captain" sounds a more impressive title than "Ms." And before I'm accused of sexism or whatnot, I'll specify that the same holds true for Captain America (vs. "Mr America").

Hawki:

Saelune:

You mean Captain Marvel?

I can't really comment, but "Captain" sounds a more impressive title than "Ms." And before I'm accused of sexism or whatnot, I'll specify that the same holds true for Captain America (vs. "Mr America").

Ironically, Ms. Marvel was called that to appeal to feminists, since at the time Ms was a relatively new alternative that does not denote marital status for women.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. When Batman vs Superman was first screened for people, they came out singing it's praises. Same with Suicide Squad. People at early showings tend to be friends and company people getting to see it early, so of course they are going to say good things. I'm waiting until it comes out to a wider audience. I'm really hoping this turns out at least decent but given all of DC's other offerings I have low expectations

Marter:

Hawki:

Let's wait for the full reviews, folks. Early press is often not quite indicative of how a movie's going to be received by the masses (both audiences and critics).

This.

About 1000xThis.

While I didn't think BvS and MoS were too terrible (they were pretty cool, if only as a spectacle), I don't exactly have a lot of faith in DC's ability to make a good film.

So. We'll see.

I agree with the Wild West forum is pretty good.

What's that? This is about Wonder Woman.

OK.

I'm looking forward to this movie. Even though, it does seem like a ripoff of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Also, the DC movies haven't been that bad. It's just people who wanted Superman to be a complete fantasy and not grounded in reality. I think Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice did a really good job of portraying how people would react to a god-like creature running rampant around the world, and there is nothing we can do to stop him. If he decides to take over the world.

As has been pointed out: I'll give a damn when I see it/early buzz is never an overly reliable barometer of actual quality.

I want it to be good, but after the first pretty decent trailer none of the marketing - including the subsequent iffy trailers - have given me positive vibes.

KissingSunlight:
I'm looking forward to this movie. Even though, it does seem like a ripoff of Captain America: The First Avenger.

I'd say the Hollywood pitch would've been 'The First Avenger meets Titanic Thor!'.

Also, the DC movies haven't been that bad. It's just people who wanted Superman to be a complete fantasy and not grounded in reality.

If by "grounded in reality" you mean the reality of a dimwitted angsty 13-year-old boy, then I guess so...

Darth Rosenberg:

Also, the DC movies haven't been that bad. It's just people who wanted Superman to be a complete fantasy and not grounded in reality.

If by "grounded in reality" you mean the reality of a dimwitted angsty 13-year-old boy, then I guess so...

It would be easier to accept your opinion. If you haven't snipped out my explanation of why I thought those movies made Superman more grounded in reality.

Tell me why you think that people wouldn't behave the way it was portrayed in those movies.

Wonder woman will have a big impact on the film industry no matter what. If it succeeds it could make executives more open on making Sci-fi and fantasy movies with women starring in them like how deadpool did with R-rated movies. But if it fails it could make executives more paranoid of green lighting female lead movies.

I hope it's good but it will be interesting to see it play out no matter what.

Wait, it's coming out? I thought it was one of those end of year movies.

I can't keep up with these Marvel movies... DC... Star Wars? Which one is Wonder Woman again?

Either I'm not keeping up with movies or this has had fuck all marketing.

Darth Rosenberg:
I want it to be good, but after the first pretty decent trailer none of the marketing - including the subsequent iffy trailers - have given me positive vibes.

They recently put out a bunch of clips.

I'm mostly liking what I see. Action doesn't look amazing, but there are a lot of cool shots in there.

I just wish it wasn't doing that incredibly ugly blue-grey lighting thing. The other DC movies all did it too and it was a large part of why they all looked like drab, eyeball-repellent turds.

Say what you will about the Marvel movies, at least the people making them have figured out that lighting and colours are pleasant to the eye.

I hope all the praise isn't just being cherry picked. The DCEU needs this bolster shot before Zach Snyder gets in its system again.

Please abbreviate responsibly.
WW means Wild West here.
GoW is Gears of War, not God of War.
WWF is the World Wrestling Federation not Wildlife foundation.
NAMBLA is the National Association of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes.

I am willing to give Wonder Woman a chance. Man of Steel I liked, BvS was ok, and Suicide Squad had many problems. Honestly, Joker should have been the main villain, because Enchantress comes off as to generic.

I have been deliberately avoiding trailers so I can come in with a clean opinion. Plus, I did not want to spoil myself.

Souplex:
Please abbreviate responsibly.
WW means Wild West here.
GoW is Gears of War, not God of War.
WWF is the World Wrestling Federation not Wildlife foundation.
NAMBLA is the National Association of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes.

That's a South Park joke I have not heard in a long time. Funny thing, before Gears even came out, GoW meant God of War at the time. Now it's GOW, but some people still get that mixed up. And to me, the WWF will always be the Wrestling Federation, not that WWE crap. Fucking bullshit copyright.

Yeah, I don't believe it. Same people said Suicide Squad and Ghostbusters were good. At this point its healthier and easier to assume all DC movies are terrible until they can prove otherwise.

CoCage:
Fucking bullshit copyright.

It's trademark.

Silentpony:
Yeah, I don't believe it. Same people said Suicide Squad and Ghostbusters were good. At this point its healthier and easier to assume all DC movies are terrible until they can prove otherwise.

Quite a cynical as fuck statement now isn't it?

I know people that still likes Suicide Squad now.

DoPo:

CoCage:
Fucking bullshit copyright.

It's trademark.

Oh...Fucking bullshit trademark!

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Is it really cynical to assume the people who've been making terrible movie after terrible movie are going to make another terrible movie?
Or is it simple insane to do the same thing over and over, ie making DC movies, expecting different results, one that doesn't suck?

After Suicide Squad any good will DC has with its fans should have evaporated. DC has dropped the ball too many times to get the benefit of the doubt. Especially considering all the leaks during production that Wonder Woman was a hot mess, with re-writes, cuts, edits, re-shoots, etc all over the place. It looks just as hacked and stitched together as Suicide Squad.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Is it really cynical to assume the people who've been making terrible movie after terrible movie are going to make another terrible movie?
Or is it simple insane to do the same thing over and over, ie making DC movies, expecting different results, one that doesn't suck?

To add to this, it's not cynical to assume it'll be shlock when it's given history of shlock time and time again. That's not to say being pleasantly surprised is out of the question. Recent example, Split, made by famous trash fire M Night Shamandong. Rented in and went in expecting an add on to his series of trash fires and was genuine happy to be taken aback by how competent it was. I'll give him a small benefit of the doubt from now on, but will always remember that he's the idiot that made Lady in the Water/The Happening.

Which is not to say that if WW is good we should sing it's praise. Just that they need to try Really. Damn. Hard. to win back people who left due to their inability to learn that they're amateurs when it comes to cobbling up a decent film.

As for my opinion on WW... the editing might kill it. It always does.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

After Suicide Squad any good will DC has with its fans should have evaporated. DC has dropped the ball too many times to get the benefit of the doubt. Especially considering all the leaks during production that Wonder Woman was a hot mess, with re-writes, cuts, edits, re-shoots, etc all over the place. It looks just as hacked and stitched together as Suicide Squad.

Those were rumors. They hadn't even shown the uncut version to outsiders at that time.

Do any of these reports say if this movie treats war in a respectful manner?

Agent_Z:
Do any of these reports say if this movie treats war in a respectful manner?

BAH, I wanna know if its treats its warfare as epic and glorious as possible!!!

KissingSunlight:
[quote="Darth Rosenberg" post="18.950630.23975213"]
Tell me why you think that people wouldn't behave the way it was portrayed in those movies.

But movies are escapism, not reminders of how shitty the real world is.

I don't care how 'real' it is, I want to see Clark's dad love and support him. Not emotionally abuse him and tell him that he should have let his friends and classmates die to preserve his secret.

Or commit suicide in front of him to preserve his secret.

Or gaslight him by twisting his ideas around about how he's going to change the world

but shouldn't

Superman's parents are infuriatingly awful in MoS. I dont care if a real person would think that, it's just hard to watch.

undeadsuitor:

KissingSunlight:

I don't care how 'real' it is, I want to see Clark's dad love and support him. Not emotionally abuse him and tell him that he should have let his friends and classmates die to preserve his secret.

Or gaslight him by twisting his ideas around about how he's going to change the world

but shouldn't

Superman's parents are infuriatingly awful in MoS. I dont care if a real person would think that, it's just hard to watch.

Well the Escapism would be ruined anyway considering Superheroes do their thing in Modern day cities. Especially when you deal with non superhero characters.

I did not felt Escapism watching The Increadibles.

undeadsuitor:

KissingSunlight:

but shouldn't

Yeah, I watch and read Superman-related stuff for the heroism; if I want to see how shit the world is, there's the Lifetime Movie of the Week.

So far Wonder Woman is the only DC film that has keep my interest and kept me thinking "okay, yeah, I can see this working" even after all the trailers and clips and promo shots have been released. So fingers crossed it lives up to the early hype

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here