The inspiration of your username

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

My username comes from my profile picture. Some time ago, The Escapist posted an article about an artist, Christie Cox, who had drawn pictures for Doctor Who, depicting each of the Doctor's regenerations as various breeds of dog. Since my favorite Doctor has been David Tennant, I chose the subsequent Dogtor Who picture for my profile and used a variation of his catchphrase "Allons-y" to incorporate a dog theme, hence "Howllons-y."

My username comes from my profile picture. Some time ago, The Escapist posted an article about an artist, Christie Cox, who had drawn pictures for Doctor Who, depicting each of the Doctor's regenerations as various breeds of dog. Since my favorite Doctor has been David Tennant, I chose the subsequent Dogtor Who picture for my profile and used a variation of his catchphrase "Allons-y" to incorporate a dog theme, hence "Howllons-y."

Zydrate comes in a little glass vial.
It also comes from a moderately obscure movie, Repo! The Genetic Opera, which sort of laid the groundwork for the higher budget movie "Repo Men".
Has some good music, even though I've heard some skeevy things about the main writer Terrance Zdunich.

Samtemdo8:
My name has nothing to do with Nintendo, Each letter in the name correspond with with a Thrash Metal band

Mine's pretty simple actually:

Ranga: Because I'm ginger and Australian (ranga is slang for ginger down here).
Man: Because I like Mega Man and really couldn't think of anything better to use.

Samtemdo8:
My name has nothing to do with Nintendo, Each letter in the name correspond with with a Thrash Metal bad:

It's from Neuromancer, a book that should have its own movie by now.

I did the dumb thing and used the Facebook sign in (back when I still used it) for account creation when it was introduced to the Escapist and didn't know that there wasn't going to be an option for entering a Username. Yay me. Now I just haven't bothered to change it.

It's a username I've used for a bunch of sites since the glory days of MSN. I once upon a time wore a hat, but because of the negative associations with trilbies/fedoras, I've since had to burn it. I should be "manwhoownsbutwontwearhats".

I once wrote a story about twelve sorcerous beings that claimed the months as theirs. For some reason, I thought the name for the month of December, the December King, rolled off the tongue the best. There was the Sultan of September, the Duke of January... the Caliphate of October... I had them all worked out, once, but the story just kind of fell flat.

Happyninja42 is a bit of an homage to Dr. McNinja, and a particular story arc. Where an army of Faceless Mook Ninjas, were fighting a Badass Hero. Which of course meant they all died, because that's how movie logic goes. But as the other members of the army died, eventually number 42 was the only one left, which meant he got upgraded to The Lone Survivor Ninja, again, using movie trope logic. And thus was able to beat the shit out of the Badass Hero.

The number 42 is for obvious reasons to anyone who knows about it.

I've been using it for decades on various website where you have to come up with a username. Invariably, the name you pick is taken, but every time I add 42 at the end, it's accepted. Which is why 42 is the Ultimate Answer.

I'm a guy. And i played Grim Fandango around that time. I don't really put much thinking into usernames /shrug

Mine is just a word that I made up that I've been using as an online handle for years. I think I had it as my old AOL screen name... In like the nineties. It's never been taken. If you see a "Cycloptomese" in a game or on a board, it's probably yours truly.

This guy

i used to use lionlord... because of 8 year old reasons. but that's taken everywhere so when i was 10 i had to change it so i added a random thing to lion. not my finest decision.

nowadays i mostly name myself after a Fictional city by HP lovecraft.

From GW's Eldar/Elf language. "Thalui" meaning vengeance or hatred and "Khaine", one of their deities. There's the "Ienh-Khain", the hand of Khaine, so I guessed dropping the "e" at the end was a grammar thing.

I've always loved Hollywood. The mystique of it. The way it looks. The way it sounds. The way it smells. It's paradise to me, and it's what made me want to become a (struggling) actor.

Bedinsis:

Samtemdo8:
My name has nothing to do with Nintendo, Each letter in the name correspond with with a Thrash Metal band:

S-layer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg
A-nthrax:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VtFJ0eMTw
M-egadeth:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oU2xlViRQ
T-estament:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEFBxDGRw8
E-xodus:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDEEIv1mHSU
M-etallica:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI
D-eath Angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwoViEuEYY
O-verkill:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvHxM6D3csg

That's awesome! What about the 8?

8 bands, 8 letters.

My username is what I came up with when trying to imagine what a Canadian Transformer would be like (or rather a Transformer that landed in Canada I guess). Incidentally he transforms into a snowmobile.

My username on here is the same name I used in the mmorpg Guild Wars 1 and 2.

Scarim Coral was my character in GW1 but not so much in 2 (Thief is different from Assassin).

Canadamus Prime:
My username is what I came up with when trying to imagine what a Canadian Transformer would be like (or rather a Transformer that landed in Canada I guess). Incidentally he transforms into a snowmobile.

Would the Canadian equivalent of the Dinobots be a bunch of robot moose running around?

Silvanus is a Roman god of the woods, sometimes thought to be roughly equivalent to the Greek Silenus, though the comparison isn't perfect.

I generally much prefer Greek names and consider the Roman mythologists to be plagiarists, but liked the word 'Silvanus' enough to let that pass.

long story short: akytalusia was the personification of my ideal self created to seal my original self. the resulting shell was nameless until akytalusia [advanced] and i adopted the name for myself. etymologically it's a phonetic interpretation of 'a key to illusia', illusia meaning 'land of illusion' or 'the dream world', and can coincidentally refer to the avatar permitting my interaction with virtual space.

Happyninja42:

Canadamus Prime:

Would the Canadian equivalent of the Dinobots be a bunch of robot moose running around?

It'd probably be Canadian dinosaurs, like Albertosaurus or Edmontosaurus.

They'd look cool, but, you know, not nearly as cool as the american Dinobots, way too polite and fairly passive. But, they'd be less polarizing among the other transformers.

the December King:

Happyninja42:

Canadamus Prime:

They'd look cool, but, you know, not nearly as cool as the american Dinobots, way too polite and fairly passive. But, they'd be less polarizing among the other transformers.

Have you SEEN a Canadian during a Hockey game?? Nothing polite or passive there.

Canadamus Prime:

the December King:

Happyninja42:

Have you SEEN a Canadian during a Hockey game?? Nothing polite or passive there.

Oh, granted - you should have told me they were at a hockey game! Even worse if their robo-children are actually on the ice.

pookie101:
slugger? SLUGGER???? its the m36 jackson !!!!

seriously though good choices.. ive always had a soft spot for the shermans and collected them all :D ah man i havent played in a long time and didnt know they moved the t18 and t82.. they were awesome fun

Look, I started playing WoT back when the Soviet T-28 Medium had the 85mm F-30 cannon that's now the top weapon on the Tier 5 version of the KV-1 Heavy Tank. Oh, and Matchmaking spread was wider too, back then. I don't think T4s saw T8s(unless they were Lights or Arty), but 4s definitely saw 7s back then. And the Type 59 could sometimes face Tier 5s that had effectively no chance of hurting it.

So I always knew the M36 Tank Destroyer as the Slugger. That's never changing.

the December King:

Canadamus Prime:

the December King:

Oh, granted - you should have told me they were at a hockey game! Even worse if their robo-children are actually on the ice.

Oh if their robo-children are playing... that's a nightmare that'd have Satan himself screaming in terror.

'Fiz' is a nickname that I got from a bar/restaurant that I used to frequent before it closed down. The one of the bartenders and bar manager were pretty chill, and the bar manager had quirky ways of remembering people's drinks. So, he came up with a saying for mine and it involved the word 'Fiz', so that was my nickname at the bar.

I miss that place. :/

And 'toaster' due to an inside joke with a few friends, and a certain shitty Silent Hill game.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
'Fiz' is a nickname that I got from a bar/restaurant that I used to frequent before it closed down. The one of the bartenders and bar manager were pretty chill, and the bar manager had quirky ways of remembering people's drinks. So, he came up with a saying for mine and it involved the word 'Fiz', so that was my nickname at the bar.

And 'toaster' due to an inside joke with a few friends, and a certain shitty Silent Hill game.

I just Mandella effected...I always read it as "Fitz", like Fitzgerald.

Saelune:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

And my brain immediately assumed "Ella Fitzgerald".

I'm pretty okay with that jump in silly brain fuckery.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Saelune:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

And my brain immediately assumed "Ella Fitzgerald".

I'm pretty okay with that jump in silly brain fuckery.

Middle school hubris, and laziness were my inspirations.

I was on a philosophy kick in middle school over 20 years ago. I remember proudly embracing the "profound" idea that I should be open to ideas and information, even if it's not information I want to be true, something most of us consider common sense nowadays.

Anyway, it was then that I started using "Sageoftruth" as my screenname in everything. My father saw it on my screen and expressed his approval, which made me grow even more attached to it.

Since then, over the years, the name just grew on me, and it seemed like too much trouble to change to something new. I often worry that it makes me sound smug, but this screenname and I have too much history together.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here