Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I went to watch Wonder Woman yesterday and of all the trailers they shown off this one caught my eye.

Its like I can't decide whether this looks like a good movie or a bad one, what do you guys think?

never heard of it before this trailer and it looks batshit bonkers and very french.. ah luc besson.. that explains alot

I've always got time for wacky sci-fi space opera and if it turns out anything like the Fifth Element it'll be worth a watch. I want it to be good, but it has Cara Delevigne, whom as far as I'm aware, has never starred in a good movie.

I'm a huge fan of the graphic novels it's based on, and have been for most of my life. But this trailer doesn't have the same feeling as they do, so to me this is just another SF flick. One that might be fun, though.

Looks like CGI overload. I know it's by the director of 'The Fifth Element' (not a good film per se, but a memorable one), but if anything, I'm reminded more of 'Jupiter Ascending'.

I can only hope it's more of the former, less of the latter.

Its a movie that looks super interesting to me, and I think I'll enjoy it.

From this feeling I conjecture that the movie will be a total flop.

It looks like it's made for the YA audience so I'm not very optimistic.

It actually had an animated adaption on Israeli TV which I recall was pretty great:

I'll give it a look. Why not?

Ehhhh. I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm really having trouble taking that guy seriously as a leading man though. Maybe that says something bad about me or perhaps about the movie industry in general, but something about him just seems off.

As others have said, it's awfully heavy on the CGI, but I can deal with that.

I remember watching the trailer months ago and it looked uninteresting. Still does. I liked the main guy in a "superhero" movie I saw but I don't remember what's called right now. Also so many different aliens and creatures that they look different and at the same time I get the impression I've seen them before somewhere else.

Just make Leon 2: The Mathildaning already.

The guy is from Chronicle, I'm not worried about him, I'm more concerned that Lucy wasn't just a hiccup, and Luc Besson lost his mojo.

Looks beautiful and i like that the trailer isn't trying to imitate other trailers.
Besson apparently wanted to make this movie since he was a little kid, The 5th Element was the closest thing he could do in the past.
Now, he finally got the budget and the technology is there to recreate all the crazy images from the comic book.
I'll definitely see it, I hope it will be more than just pretty.

Looks like there's too much happening. So many different scenes and places. Such movies typically bore me. They're impatient.

This might be either the next Fifth Element or Jupiter Ascending. I'm hoping for the first option.

Zhukov:
Ehhhh. I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm really having trouble taking that guy seriously as a leading man though. Maybe that says something bad about me or perhaps about the movie industry in general, but something about him just seems off.

As others have said, it's awfully heavy on the CGI, but I can deal with that.

My thoughts were on watching the trailer:

I really, really want to punch the lead in the face. Can think of no other word beyond "douche" for him and his partner. Definitely looks built for the YA crowd, so I can see where they're going. Too old to like them, but not old enough that I can view them with detachment yet, I suppose.

The CGI looks fun though. Does remind me of The Fifth Element. Doesn't have to be good, per say, but it does look like the good kind of inspiring and interesting design. Reminds me a little of Jupiter Ascending of recent note, but more grounded. Hard to resist a good space showing and art.

The plot? hahahahahahaha. Certainly a YA plotline: something evil is coming, and only you, the young adults can save us all! Terrible idea, but at least simple and not bad enough that it ruins things. If it gets the plot moving between multiple gorgeous set pieces and has some action attached, then it has done the job it needed to do.

I could certainly see this being a movie I'd like to see. If I can resist hating the leads enough.

Between the exotic visuals/ideas present and the probably high budget/low return ratio, it's safe to say I need this movie and this movie needs me.

In this way, it is this year's Kubo and the Two Strings.

Xeorm:
The plot? hahahahahahaha. Certainly a YA plotline: something evil is coming, and only you, the young adults can save us all!

Dane Dehaan, the lead actor, is 31. Bruce Willis was 33 when Die Hard was made (a story about how something evil is happening, and only you, Bruce Willis, can save us all!)

TIL the difference between an action hero and a YA hero is 2 years.

Xeorm:

The plot? hahahahahahaha. Certainly a YA plotline: something evil is coming, and only you, the young adults can save us all! Terrible idea, but at least simple and not bad enough that it ruins things.

That's an incredibly basic plot. It has shown up in Sleepy Hollow, The Lord of the Rings, Princess Mononoke, most of the Star Wars saga and The Matrix. And that's not even getting into anime/ western animation and video games while avoiding specifically YA material.

Well it's Luc Besson, so yeah I'm cautiously optimistic if it's anything like 5th Element is going to be a bit dopey and silly but a lot of fun.

inu-kun:
It looks like it's made for the YA audience so I'm not very optimistic.

It actually had an animated adaption on Israeli TV which I recall was pretty great:

That looks a whole lot more faithful to the graphics novels than the film does

Luc Besson is mostly awesome, I want to start reading the comics. I'm a little disappointed that Lauraline's name isn't in the title, since they are a team.

And Fifth Element is Phantasy Star: The Movie, and its one of the most amazingly rewatchable things ever, next to Shawshank, Princess Bride, and Zodiac. You could catch it at any point and not mind having it on til the end.

pookie101:
never heard of it before this trailer and it looks batshit bonkers and very french.. ah luc besson.. that explains alot

Gah! For the last time, its... pardon my French, BELGIAN!

I don't think I've ever seen a movie trailer before that was so successful in both drawing me in and pushing me away at the same time. It's an interesting premise, but I'm worried that this plot may be too big for this movie's britches.

Also, warning lights started going off when I heard Miss Exposition Voice in the trailer. Ever since Lord of the Rings ended, that voice has always struck me as saying "We're trying to be as epic as Lord of the Rings, but we probably don't have the budget for it."

I think it's going to be a box office bomb.

RedRockRun:

pookie101:

Gah! For the last time, its... pardon my French, BELGIAN!

oops.. my mistake i beg forgiveness and throw myself on your mercy

I knew this gave me franco-belgian comic vibe for a reason. Well, the lightning doesn't strike twice etc., but here's hope it'll have some of that Fifth Element thunder.

twistedmic:
That's an incredibly basic plot. It has shown up in Sleepy Hollow, The Lord of the Rings, Princess Mononoke, most of the Star Wars saga and The Matrix. And that's not even getting into anime/ western animation and video games while avoiding specifically YA material.

Hmm. Not really I'd argue. Not familiar with Sleepy Hollow or Princess Mononoke, but the others have the protagonists being chosen because something about them is special, or more commonly because they're swept up in circumstance (and then maybe turn out special).

This is them being told to go save the world/universe as the initial bit that drives the entire plot. The Matrix starts with Neo learning that the world is instead the Matrix, and then being brought out of it. Only after is anything about being the one mentioned.

undeadsuitor:
Dane Dehaan, the lead actor, is 31. Bruce Willis was 33 when Die Hard was made (a story about how something evil is happening, and only you, Bruce Willis, can save us all!)

TIL the difference between an action hero and a YA hero is 2 years.

Age for actors is relative due to makeup and general outfit choices. Die hard was working hard to make their lead appear his age, and that's what it appeared. This new movie has them looking younger, and so they look like young adults to me. Actual age is irrelevant.

Xeorm:

Age for actors is relative due to makeup and general outfit choices. Die hard was working hard to make their lead appear his age, and that's what it appeared. This new movie has them looking younger, and so they look like young adults to me. Actual age is irrelevant.

what are they doing to make him look younger than he actually looks.

and what other YA tropes does the movie have

Have read some of the comic though never in any order and far from it all. Never would've thought it would be picked for a movie, but find it as a pleasant surprise. Will most likely see it if reviews come out decent.

I find it odd that some of the most influential comics have come out of Belgium of all places. What is it about Belgium that's so conducive to that medium of storytelling?

RedRockRun:
I find it odd that some of the most influential comics have come out of Belgium of all places. What is it about Belgium that's so conducive to that medium of storytelling?

Maybe it has something to do with the waffles. Their waffles seem to be very popular.

Yea saw this trailer at the cinema the other day myself I kept thinking that it would be cool if they just got rid of the kids and got some less annoying actors as the mains.

Too bad it's not called, "Valerian and Laureline." They had to go with some capeshit name to get people to the theaters.

Most of Star Wars was directly ripped off from Valerian and Laureline:

"In Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction, contributor Matt Bielby details some of the designs and concepts in the Star Wars films that are similar to elements that first appeared in the French comic: "The slave-girl outfit that Laureline wore in a 1972 adventure appears to have inspired Princess Leia Organa's costume in The Return of the Jedi (1983). Other elements of Star Wars that seem indebted to the French strip include the Millennium Falcon, Luke falling from Cloud City, Han in carbonite, Darth Vader's scarred face and the concept of clone armies - indeed, on first seeing the George Lucas film, M?zi?res was said to have been 'furious.'"

Full article can be read here: https://nothingbutcomics.net/2015/12/14/valerian/

I saw this trailer the other day. I don't know what to say. It looks so terrible. Like Jon Carter on Mars terrible, queen of the damned terrible. I think sitting through this movie in a theater would give me some degenerative brain disorder. Also the lead actress's eybrows upset me for some reason.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here