Happy Superman Day!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/SupermanRoss.png

So 79 years of a great superhero. I'm actually curious: what do you guys think of the character and do you think his legacy has a solid purpose to many?

Natemans:

Fixed that for you. No need to thank me; I'm just awesome like that.

Everyone always plays the John Williams score of the Movie, but I prefer the music score that played in the Animated Series better:

Samtemdo8:
Everyone always plays the John Williams score of the Movie, but I prefer the music score that played in the Animated Series better:

I'd say they are both equally amazing!

Personally? No idea. I didn't grow up with any superhero comics and the only superhero cartoon I could be said to have 'grown up with' would be the 90s Spider-Man series. And if the superhero genre if your thing, there seem to be more interesting alternatives (Batman, Spider-Man, etc.)

I suppose Superman could be made interesting (powerful being akin to a god, how much power should he use), and I enjoyed Man of Steel, warts and all, but if you're going to critique it about being true to the character or not, that kind of stuff goes over my head.

I grew up with the DCAU Superman, and one thing that always confused me was why nobody could ever figure out that Clark Kent was Superman.

Holy corrective vision, Batman! With the glasses on it's like he's a different person! *eyeroll* This incarnation is practically the poster child of paper thin disguises and led me to have a very low opinion of that element of Superman.

Then I saw what Christopher Reeve did with the character. Say what you will of the movies (heck, I'll probably echo a good bit of it), but the man made the disguise work.

For Reeve's character, the glasses are almost incidental. What sells the disguise is all the acting involved. He hunches his shoulders forward, raises his voice an octave or two, changes his speech pattern, stammers, and subtly slouches so Superman looks taller than Clark. It's a lot of small things, but it all adds up to Reeve's Superman just not looking enough like Clark to make it an obvious connection.

It's perhaps even more apparent in some of the screen tests for Superman II.

I remember seeing one comment a while back that perfectly summed it up. Up to 3:43, we see Clark Kent. At 3:44, it's Superman wearing glasses.

I honestly didnt know it was international superman day until today.. happy day supers :)

yeah no one working out he was clark kent has left me scratching my head many times

*EDIT*
unless everyone knows he's clark kent and is just humoring the person with god like powers

I saw a kids shirt for sale the other day with a picture of Superman and the caption "above the rest" and I felt sad that the designer completely did not understand the point of superman.

I will never understand the "Superman is unrelatable" crowd.
He's a guy who's superior to those around him, and feels this gives him a responsibility to help them.
I totally relate to that.
Contrast the least relatable superhero: Batman. He's a psychotic billionaire. How can anyone relate to that?

What are the odds? I just rewatched Kill Bill Vol. 2 and thought Bill's monologue on Superman was every bit as good as I remembered.

Souplex:
He's a guy who's superior to those around him, and feels this gives him a responsibility to help them.
Contrast the least relatable superhero: Batman. He's a psychotic billionaire. How can anyone relate to that?

For some reason people relate more to the Billionare who is master of every martial art is a genius in every science, engineering field and the worlds greatest detective but people can't relate to a guy with a 9-5 job.

PapaGreg096:

Souplex:

For some reason people relate more to the Billionare who is master of every martial art is a genius in every science, engineering field and the worlds greatest detective but people can't relate to a guy with a 9-5 job.

Probably because Batman is in a bit more of a grounded world than Supes most of the time. Take away the powers, and Superman is a farmboy with fantastically good intentions, but still a farmboy with a 9-5 that he's "adequate" at. Take away the powers in Batman(say, most of his more outlandish gadgets, some of his martial art mastery, and villains), and he's still a heart/psychologically-broken kid surrounded by a long-corrupt city filled with broken psyches and shattered dreams kicking and clawing to reach a pinnacle of idealism.

Also Bruce Wayne is who most people actually want to be like when they get money(or at least think about), he's a philanthropist, has enough pull to actually get shit done politically every once in a while for the important things, has the time to do what really interests him, and the drive to always become better while still being comfortable enough to never have to worry about money(anyone that says they've never had that wish cross their minds has never had to worry about money in the first place).

Superman struggles with falling from grace in most of his big, acclaimed stories, Batman is about dealing with grief in your own way, creating a more ideal world than what you're born into, and to continually be improving yourself because in a world filled with monstrous aliens, galactic threats, powersuited supergeniuses, and ancient legends, everyone keeps an eye on a human with a bat phobia/fetish. An exceptional human, no doubt, but something that can be reached(at least in that universe), provided you have the will and drive to attain it.

In contrast with Superman, you've got a guy that has basically been gifted his powers and while he does do extraordinary things with little and often no thought to himself, he's still a guy that nobody can reach in any form but in his empathy.

OT: Happy Printday Supes

Redryhno:

PapaGreg096:
[quote="Souplex" post="18.962035.24001074"]I will never understand the "Superman is unrelatable" crowd.

Superman struggles with falling from grace in most of his big, acclaimed stories, Batman is about dealing with grief in your own way, creating a more ideal world than what you're born into, and to continually be improving yourself because in a world filled with monstrous aliens, galactic threats, powersuited supergeniuses, and ancient legends, everyone keeps an eye on a human with a bat phobia/fetish. An exceptional human, no doubt, but something that can be reached(at least in that universe), provided you have the will and drive to attain it.

I

I don't know at least in the DC universe you probably have a better chance of being a metahuman than having genius level intellect and master of all martial arts.

The superman intro song you say?

I don't know what all you young people are on about, but this is the thing that immediately leapt to my mind

Elijin:

I don't know what all you young people are on about, but this is the thing that immediately leapt to my mind

Hey, the Fleischer shorts: I had those on VHS (remember that shit, kids?) and my recollection is that they were fucking awesome.

I will never get how an emotionally-stunted billionaire who is literally the best at everything ever is more relatable than a guy who holds down a normal job and is raising a family.

Elijin:

I used to love watching those shorts as a kid

I don't think either Superman or Batman are relatable or particularly interesting.

I do like Batman in that the Bat-Family is more interesting when they have to put up with his nonsense.

Redryhno:

PapaGreg096:

Souplex:

Probably because Batman is in a bit more of a grounded world than Supes most of the time. Take away the powers, and Superman is a farmboy with fantastically good intentions, but still a farmboy with a 9-5 that he's "adequate" at. Take away the powers in Batman(say, most of his more outlandish gadgets, some of his martial art mastery, and villains), and he's still a heart/psychologically-broken kid surrounded by a long-corrupt city filled with broken psyches and shattered dreams kicking and clawing to reach a pinnacle of idealism.

See, to me, this proves the exact opposite of what you said. Most people are (I think) people in normal jobs who are fundamentally nice and try to do what they think is the right thing, even as they may not have the means to do so. Most people aren't psychologicaly broken and in a rdiculously corrupt city infested with some of the most psychotic villians imaginable.

Asita:
For Reeve's character, the glasses are almost incidental. What sells the disguise is all the acting involved. He hunches his shoulders forward, raises his voice an octave or two, changes his speech pattern, stammers, and subtly slouches so Superman looks taller than Clark.

Wow. You just made me realized why I didn't like the Clark Kent parts of the Superman movies when I was a kid. That guy was nothing like Superman - and I wanted to see Superman, not some regular guy. He played the part so well distancing himself that he truly seemed like a different guy. I didn't want to see this whimpy, subservient, nerdy, stammering guy - I wanted to see Superman. I'm going to have to go back and watch those movies.

PapaGreg096:

I don't know at least in the DC universe you probably have a better chance of being a metahuman than having genius level intellect and master of all martial arts.

There you go focusing on powers again like everyone that talks about how OP Superman is instead of what makes the character who they are.

Look, you want to say you don't like Batman, that's fine. I don't like Superman all that much, but I know and understand why people like him, he's just not my thing when he's off doing his own thing or having a minor crossover.(Justice League he provides a balance not many other DC characters can, so I like him there from time to time)

TrulyBritish:

See, to me, this proves the exact opposite of what you said. Most people are (I think) people in normal jobs who are fundamentally nice and try to do what they think is the right thing, even as they may not have the means to do so. Most people aren't psychologicaly broken and in a rdiculously corrupt city infested with some of the most psychotic villians imaginable.

So you're going to tell me you don't have childhood trauma(or "trauma" as the case may be)? That you don't have something you're interested in improving in yourself? That you don't have any friends or family that have experienced some amount of loss to change from who or what they used to be? That you don't have any desire to make things better around you?

Doing the best you can is at least a third of what Batman is to alot of people. As much as people like Superman, he's still something you cannot attain purely on the basis of him being not human. He may have grown up and practically been born here, but the guy's on another level that DC humans and even most metahumans can't attain. Batman, on the other hand, is. You may not be as rich as he is or as deductive. You may never be as fit or as experienced. You probably will never feel anywhere near as guilty as he does or anywhere near as in need of treatment.

But it's about self-improvement and wanting yourself and things to be better through your own efforts. The majority of his powers are because he worked his ass off, not because the sun shines yellow. He got to where he is through effort. Superman is about maintenance and pulling from the ideal that's already been realized. Batman is about constant work to reach an ideal that may need to be tweaked the further along you are.

I just find working towards something more interesting than something that is already around.

Asita:

It's perhaps even more apparent in some of the screen tests for Superman II.

I remember seeing one comment a while back that perfectly summed it up. Up to 4:33, we see Clark Kent. At 4:34, it's Superman wearing glasses.

See now, THIS is how you write a Lois Lane scene.

Redryhno:

There you go focusing on powers again like everyone that talks about how OP Superman is instead of what makes the character who they are.

Look, you want to say you don't like Batman, that's fine. I don't like Superman all that much, but I know and understand why people like him, he's just not my thing when he's off doing his own thing or having a minor crossover.(Justice League he provides a balance not many other DC characters can, so I like him there from time to time)/quote]

Calm your tits

1. I wasn't really focusing on powers but how having superpowers in the DC universe is more common than being whatever Batman is.

2.I already know what makes Superman Superman and Batman Batman so I don't know where this "not talking about the character comes from".

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here