Supergirl
49.1% (27)
49.1% (27)
I can't decide
5.5% (3)
5.5% (3)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Superman or Supergirl?

Title says it all. Of the two most famous Kryptonian superheroes in DC comics, whom do you prefer as a character? The iconic man of steel? Or his upbeat and energetic cousin?

Kinda depends on what version we're talking about.

While the action in most superman stories is boring, 'cause he's basically God(didn't he fight and beat Death at one point?) I fully admit his arcs are less about the struggle, and more about the morality of the struggle. He can literally change time on a whim and is more than capable of destroying the Galaxy in a few seconds(again, depending on which version...) yet all he seems to want is a few close friends, a quiet-ish life and some Lois Lane poon. Legit, if boring.

Supergirl I can mostly tolerate, especially when teamed up with Batgirl, but oh god save me from Valley Girl fashion Bubbles Supergirl. I can't tolerate a 'serious' heroine who's greatest weakness is hunky boys with blonde bangs, and cuddly kittens name Bojangles. I like her when she's a more earnest, naive, but charismatic superman. Save the world first, then ask questions about the morality of not letting the humans save themselves for alien space scorpions with nanobot guns and laser balls second.

Superman. I've read comics about both of them (yes, I'm only going by the actual comic books), and Supergirl's nice, but Kal-El will always be Kal-El.

I personally don't care for either, if I'm entirely honest.

That being said, I voted for Superman, and that's only because the animated series was amazing.

As a character in the comics, Superman. Supergirl always struck me as the unimaginative "lets take something that is popular, and make a few alterations to it. We have Superman, let's have Supergirl and Superdog and Superbaby and Superguy and Supermouse and Superbrat", and that is before they decided to make her more adult and put a cleavage window on her chest.

In terms of adaptations, it really depends on the material:
DCAU Superman > DCAU Supergirl > Reeve's Superman > Cain's Superman > Benoist's Supergirl > Routh's Superman > Hoechlin's Superman > Slater's Supergirl > Cavill's Superman

Aren't they identical, except for the boobs? Escape dying planet, come to Earth, "Last X of Krypton", yellow sun, powers, Kryptonite weakens them, reporter secret identity with glasses?

Powergirl thank you.

Supergirl is well... a girl. Powergirl, despite the name, is all woman.

Although All Star Superman is one of my favourite comic books ever, so I should probably pick that.

KingsGambit:
Aren't they identical, except for the boobs? Escape dying planet, come to Earth, "Last X of Krypton", yellow sun, powers, Kryptonite weakens them, reporter secret identity with glasses?

As far as powers..Yeah? But we're talking about their characterization and stories.

It's like saying that hal Jordan and guy gardener are the same character because they both have green Lantern powers

I voted Supergirl because I'm a hetero guy and if I'm gonna look at comic book characters I'd prefer characters to be attractive.

This is the same reason I prefer to play female characters in Mass Effect and Dragon Age; if I'm going to stare at an avatar's behind for 30 to 110 hours it'd better be a nice one. ^_^

Superman is pretty consistent, whereas Supergirl has had a LOT of reboots and deaths over the years so there's not been much of an iconic image of her at least until recently what with the TV show and all. I like the story of Kara Zor-El, and I'm glad she's the one who seems to be getting set in stone. But given the total history of the characters, Superman sticks out for me much more.

Supergirl, I guess. But that's mostly coming from recently having played through Injustice 2 where she was the most endearing character.

I also kinda like the Bruce Timm version of her. There's a sense of fun to that design.

Basement Cat:
I voted Supergirl because I'm a hetero guy and if I'm gonna look at comic book characters I'd prefer characters to be attractive.

This is the same reason I prefer to play female characters in Mass Effect and Dragon Age; if I'm going to stare at an avatar's behind for 30 to 110 hours it'd better be a nice one. ^_^

You sayin' Superman ain't got a nice ass?

SirSullymore:

Basement Cat:

It's not to my taste. No doubt others find it quite pleasing to gaze upon. :D

Basement Cat:

SirSullymore:

Basement Cat:

It's not to my taste. No doubt others find it quite pleasing to gaze upon. :D

SirSullymore:

I like that clip. It's a wonderful example of "Getting Crap Past the Censors".

Supergirl, for me. I tend to like the hangers on rather than the main character. The Batfamily is more interesting than Batman to me as well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here