Spambots constantly on this forum

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

not gaming related, but can whoever the admins are on this website PLEASE just add a captcha or something that's required to make posts or comments.

seems like literally every single day this place is being spammed like hell by bots, mods then have to delete all the threads. the spam threads disappear for a few hours, just so they can all come right back the next day.

it baffles me why something as simple as a captcha hasn't been added to forums to stop all the spambots like this yet.

Yoshi178:
it baffles me why something as simple as a captcha hasn't been added to forums to stop all the spambots like this yet.

Because there's no one here who can do that. There's literally no one still employed on this site who has the ability/know-how to alter or change any of the site code.

Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's been pointed out countless times just how stupid this whole situation is.

Yoshi178:
not gaming related, but can whoever the admins are on this website PLEASE just add a captcha or something that's required to make posts or comments.

seems like literally every single day this place is being spammed like hell by bots, mods then have to delete all the threads. the spam threads disappear for a few hours, just so they can all come right back the next day.

Yeah, us mods and the staff are working together on a solution for the spam problem. Hold on, it should be under control soon :-)

In the meantime we've added new Moderators who are holding the line against the late night spambots.

I'm delighted to say that they've done a tremendous job in doing so: I was staying up all night dealing with bots but now that they're on board I am managing to actually get some sleep.

...mmmm....soft pillow....mmmm...sleep...

We used to have a captcha, and there were many a fun adventure with it. I don't doubt that the mods are working hard to fix this issue, they are normally very quick to sort this kind of thing out.

I agree; bots plauge this site and especially during the early mornings. To give the bots credit though, at least they make the forum seem more active.

Basement Cat:
In the meantime we've added new Moderators who are holding the line against the late night spambots.

I'm delighted to say that they've done a tremendous job in doing so: I was staying up all night dealing with bots but now that they're on board I am managing to actually get some sleep.

...mmmm....soft pillow....mmmm...sleep...

and we all know how much sleep cats need :P

fear not.. they will fall to my fire hose of justiceness!

I swear when I first joined there was a 48hr wait before I could create my own topics. What happened to that?
Last night there was nearly 7 pages of spam!

Tech team would be best solution...

Redlin5:

Tech team? What's that?

Padwolf:
We used to have a captcha, and there were many a fun adventure with it. I don't doubt that the mods are working hard to fix this issue, they are normally very quick to sort this kind of thing out.

The problem with the previous implementation of the captcha, and I said this at the time, was that it was implemented in the wrong place. It should've been put in account creation, not in the forums themselves. Of course the fact the it only popped up at random didn't help.

Canadamus Prime:
The problem with the previous implementation of the captcha, and I said this at the time, was that it was implemented in the wrong place. It should've been put in account creation, not in the forums themselves. Of course the fact the it only popped up at random didn't help.

Wait, what? How was that a "problem"? That's how it is now, and the spam is relentless.

As things are now, the captcha appears on account creation and then never appears again thereafter. So we get someone making bot accounts (filling out captchas as they go), and then letting the bots loose on the forum where there's absolutely nothing to curtail them.

The captcha should be moved from account creation (or leave it there, whatever) and put back on the forums again, because since it was removed from the forums it's allowed the bots to run rampant.

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all. It seems completely backwards, logically speaking.

SPAM BOTS NEED LOVE TOO!

They have important messages to share with the world and won't stop until black magic voodoo cures for credit card rebate fake baoting lisense call now for you!

IceForce:

Canadamus Prime:

Wait, what? How was that a "problem"? That's how it is now, and the spam is relentless.

As things are now, the captcha appears on account creation and then never appears again thereafter. So we get someone making bot accounts (filling out captchas as they go), and then letting the bots loose on the forum where there's absolutely nothing to curtail them.

The captcha should be moved from account creation (or leave it there, whatever) and put back on the forums again, because since it was removed from the forums it's allowed the bots to run rampant.

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all. It seems completely backwards, logically speaking.

Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while. Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.

Canadamus Prime:
Ok I didn't know that. I haven't had to create an account in a while.

If you log out your account (or just access this website from another browser, Internet Explorer for example), and access the account registration page, there's a captcha on it.

But that's it. There are no more captchas after that. Basically it means that a bot account can be created by someone, and then the 'automated' part takes over and the bot spams dozens or even hundreds of posts very very quickly. - All for the price of entering just one captcha.

It's not a very efficient use of captcha; requiring just one of them to be entered and then allowing unlimited posts to be made thereafter.

Canadamus Prime:
Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.

Yep, now this I absolutely do agree with.

This site is also in dire need of maintenance. It's so slow to load compared to pretty much every other website in history of websites.

shrekfan246:

Redlin5:

Tech team? What's that?

Adam Jensen:
This site is also in dire need of maintenance. It's so slow to load compared to pretty much every other website in history of websites.

Something that existed in the Escapist of yore.

Redlin5:

shrekfan246:

Redlin5:

Tech team? What's that?

Adam Jensen:

No reminiscing about the past!
Now eat your Gruel.

Considering the front page still has shows that have been taken off the site still on the schedule for a month now, I don't think defy really cares at this point.

Dalisclock:
Considering the front page still has shows that have been taken off the site still on the schedule for a month now, I don't think defy really cares at this point.

That happened before Defy, too.

Word is they're looking over potential new content. I think they're working under a tight budget partly because the proceeds from ads are a trifle compared to just a few years ago. They are working through a lot of submissions for new content for the site.

Time will tell if things work out.

Annnd, right on cue, there's a bunch of spam threads in Gaming Discussion.

bastardofmelbourne:
Annnd, right on cue, there's a bunch of spam threads in Gaming Discussion.

They were banned and eliminated over 15 minutes ago. The system is so slow they're just sitting there. *rolls eyes*

Personally I'm just confused as to who they're even targeted at - it's not like the Escapist has the most robust of membership or foot-traffic these days, and the threads aren't around long enough to really contribute to any google search metrics.

Just seems like a wasted effort, really. Unless it's a troll/disgruntled ex-member/someone just taking advantage of the lack of tech team.

The fact that they advertise for freakin' black magic and shit is downright hilarious, though.

Wrex Brogan:
Personally I'm just confused as to who they're even targeted at - it's not like the Escapist has the most robust of membership or foot-traffic these days, and the threads aren't around long enough to really contribute to any google search metrics.

Just seems like a wasted effort, really.

Logically speaking, I'd think that a website which has been hemorrhaging for a year or two would be the perfect target for bots. It means that it's active enough for someone to see them, but not so active that they would be removed instantly.

And I'm not really informed on the way spambots work, but I don't believe they're a particularly high amount of effort to unleash. People made bots to play Hearthstone for them; that seems like far more effort for less return to me (since if you don't like the game enough to play it yourself, then why would you care about doing anything in it? and if you've got time to create a bot to play the game for you, I find it hard to believe you just wouldn't have the time to play it yourself).

IceForce:

Canadamus Prime:

If you log out your account (or just access this website from another browser, Internet Explorer for example), and access the account registration page, there's a captcha on it.

But that's it. There are no more captchas after that. Basically it means that a bot account can be created by someone, and then the 'automated' part takes over and the bot spams dozens or even hundreds of posts very very quickly. - All for the price of entering just one captcha.

It's not a very efficient use of captcha; requiring just one of them to be entered and then allowing unlimited posts to be made thereafter.

Given that we've always had spambots, it seems like neither permutation of the captcha has worked.

Adam Jensen:

I have had to set my IP address to the US the past few days just to access the site. Been like this for a while, I even get "perma-banned" from time to time. Oh well, part of the charm I guess.

IceForce:

Canadamus Prime:

Canadamus Prime:
Regardless even if we have the captcha for posting it should be there all the time instead of only showing up at random like it was before.

Yep, now this I absolutely do agree with.

Well it's not as easy as having bots that can create accounts, but yeah I see your point.

Dr.Susse:

Redlin5:

shrekfan246:

Tech team? What's that?

Adam Jensen:

No reminiscing about the past!
Now eat your Gruel.

Its criminal to make Aussies mods!

Oh wait, was that the general idea?

Uh oh.

Here's an idea for the Captcha: No Captcha at account creation; but for the first 48 hours after account creation, ALL new threads and posts must go through the Captcha first.

To really confound those spambots, make it one of those "identify X object in these pictures" kind.

Basement Cat:

Dalisclock:

That happened before Defy, too.

Word is they're looking over potential new content. I think they're working under a tight budget partly because the proceeds from ads are a trifle compared to just a few years ago. They are working through a lot of submissions for new content for the site.

Time will tell if things work out.

Okay, I can buy the idea they're looking for new content(though my faith isn't really there anymore).

I don't understand why they haven't updated the schedule to remove the shows that aren't hosted here anymore? Critical Miss's last strip was April 14. It's been two months and apparently no one can be bothered to even so much as mention "Hey, all of these things will no longer have new content. We're revising the schedule to reflect this". I haven't done web coding for years, but I'm pretty sure that this is something that could easily be accomplished in 30 minutes by someone who actually gives a damn.

Hell, someone has to link the new Yathzee videos every week. Presumably they could clean up page a little at the same time?

Unless they really are trying to distract people from the fact they pretty much have nothing but Yathzee at this point.

Dalisclock:

Okay, I can buy the idea they're looking for new content(though my faith isn't really there anymore.

I don't understand why they haven't updated the schedule to remove the shows that aren't hosted here anymore? Critical Miss's last strip was April 14. It's been two months and apparently no one can be bothered to even so much as mention "Hey, all of these things will no longer have new content. We're revising the schedule to reflect his". I haven't done web coding for years, but I'm pretty sure this is something that could easily be accomplished in 30 minutes by someone who actually gives a damn.

Hell, someone has to link the new Yathzee videos every week. Presumably they could clean up page a little at the same time?

Maybe it's simply a matter of wanting to maintain appearances. "Please come visit our site and when you see the frontpage you'll see that we have...practically no regular content to speak of. Wait! Where are you going?!?"

*shrugs*

The problem is this guy/group are very persistent and are hard to deal with. This exact same spam and group showed up on the Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm forums, and even with their professional teams working on it, the only way Blizzard was able to put the fire out was to require you to play a certain number of games of Hearthstone and Heroes before posting, like they do with having an account/copy of the game for WoW/SC/Diablo/Overwatch.

What about a minimum badge number, which would require doing at least one quiz or more?

Bots can't do quizzes yet right?
Even if they can, they won't write that into the bots for just a single site.

Vendor-Lazarus:
What about a minimum badge number, which would require doing at least one quiz or more?

Bots can't do quizzes yet right?
Even if they can, they won't write that into the bots for just a single site.

Not a bad filter to consider. Even have that quiz PM'd to a new user so they get one that's just the 'Prove you're a human' quiz, comes complete with a 'Human' badge.

Given they seem to exclusively create new threads, maybe have a post limit before you can create new threads? Or a time limit between created threads?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here