M1911A1 or a new gaming PC?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I have around $700 to spend. Now, I could get a sexy Springfield Mil-Spec M1911, which I've wanted for a very long time, or I could go the more practical route and get a mid-range gaming PC and join the modern world. What do you guys think?

I dont know what answer besides 'buy the PC' you expect to get on a gaming website.

I personally have neither any firearms nor gaming computers, though I would like both someday. So I would say whichever you think will give you more enjoyment. That simple.

What mods can you have on that gun?

Get the .45 and as much ammo as you can afford.

Aerosteam:
What mods can you have on that gun?

The M1911 is an incredibly versatile platform and parts can easily be mixed and matched. Perhaps the biggest problem though (although even this doesn't apply to all models of the M1911) is that there is no rail the bottom of the barrel to mount attachments with. While you can still mount attachments to the pistol, they'll have to clip to the trigger guard.

American Tanker:
Get the .45 and as much ammo as you can afford.

Roger that.

TheVampwizimp:
I dont know what answer besides 'buy the PC' you expect to get on a gaming website

^THIS

OT: I never understood the appeal of guns. They just seem like kind of a waste unless you're a hunter or have an actual use for it but just collecting or using them at the range just seems like a waste of money.

So clearly I am on the PC side but...

TheVampwizimp:
So I would say whichever you think will give you more enjoyment. That simple.

^THIS 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Buy a gaming PC, play video games, become violent, buy the gun anyway.

Seriously though, I'd go with the gaming PC. Then again, I don't understand guns and their appeal either.

Well, over the next few years do you expect to spend more time playing video games or shooting people?

I mean, that's how I decide on what to purchase.

the pc.. it both plays games and its practical enough to beat someone to death with in the case of home defence

I thought this was funny when it was pointed out to me, but it's true; the majority of the US gun owner market are just adults with cool, expensive toys.

I'm not judging you! I collect(ed) Warhammer, for Christ's sake. But I think it's important that the gun control debate recognise that a large portion of gun sales are marketed at people who don't need them for self-defence but do need something cool and flashy and expensive that has a laser sight on it or whatever.

You have to ask yourself which will be more fun.

Well, from what little I know of firearms, the one you're describing is considerably rare. So if they're both things you want then as crazy as this sounds I'd get the gun now. Unless something catastrophic happens, you're never not going to be able to get a gaming PC.

Think of it as one investment protecting the other. How long would it take you to have $700 to throw around again? I'd say gun first, gaming PC after, because you can't enjoy the sexy vidya if you're dead in a home invasion because someone was passing by and thought they'd quite enjoy dem graffics too.

Then again, I don't know the area you live in, the actual state you live in, or your commitment to training with your firearm after you purchase it, so the gaming PC might just be the better option if the gun is more of a hobby, moreso if you already have firearms, even moreso if you already have a firearm you're able to carry concealed. That and, .45acp isn't cheap. tying into the second point.

MrCalavera:
You have to ask yourself which will be more fun.

This is also an important consideration in general.

bastardofmelbourne:
I thought this was funny when it was pointed out to me, but it's true; the majority of the US gun owner market are just adults with cool, expensive toys.

I'm not judging you! I collect(ed) Warhammer, for Christ's sake. But I think it's important that the gun control debate recognise that a large portion of gun sales are marketed at people who don't need them for self-defence but do need something cool and flashy and expensive that has a laser sight on it or whatever.

The thing is, the debate does to an extent recognize that, but a certain side does not recognize that with it being a right, they don't need a reason. AKA "Bill of Rights, not Bill of Needs".

If you are talking about joining the modern world, it sounds like you'd want to replace the computer after a few years when it becomes obsolete (from a next gen gaming PoV). The 1911 has been round for a hundred or so years, it's not going to have that issue.

Short term, I'd advise the computer. Long term, I'd advise the 1911 (unless you have 11 or so and want the full dozen, cause 1 more isn't going to be that exciting), unless you don't mind still playing games from now in a few years time.

Do you already own any firearms?

If yes, get the gaming PC, if not go with the 1911.

As someone who owns both, I'd be inclined to lean towards a gaming PC, myself.

A thing designed to kill human beings or a thing designed to be both practical and to provide countless hours of safe fun where nobody really dies. It's a tough one so I'll have to think on it some more.

You can't defend your home with a PC. Look at all those gun-wielding lunatics out there now. Play it safe, get an assault rifle, it'll last for someone's lifetime. Plus it does not devalue as hard as computers.

Save for a PC or choose a Glock. As a shooter myself, I can say that, while the 1911 is stylish, Glocks are much better for plinking. (Or other modern handguns, see if can try out an FN if ur committed to a Browning design.)

Which one has the more prohibitive use, both need time. But the 1911 needs ammo, and range time if you are not lucky enough to have access to private land, your own or friend's or family's.

Worst case scenarios: buy games at full price, lets average it out to $40 combining new and old/cheaper titles, vs a box of ammo from Cabela's which seems to hover around $20 for a box of 50. Raw price the gun seems like the better deal, though if 50 for a day of shooting is not enough for you, then that keeps creeping up. Also a game is reusable, and bullets are not. Well not unless you cheapen the price by hand-loading but that is a deep enthusiasts pursuit with a crap ton of upfront. The gun equivalent of building a mega pc, price and effort in one.

I was in the same boat considering buying a gun over upgrading my pc. My personal situation is that time and ammo and range costs will add up to be unsustainable, and my other laptop being old I wanted to keep up with new games and playing with my friends. Though if you have already narrowed down the 1911 and maybe see a deal, go for it. It will also last more that 5 years, which is what my last high mid pc was able to keep up with in terms of gaming.

TheVampwizimp:
I dont know what answer besides 'buy the PC' you expect to get on a gaming website.

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty much this. Buy the PC

Buy the gun, rob a bank, buy a better PC than you had intended originally.

Or

Buy the PC, hack a bank, buy a tank

To answer some people's questions, yes, I technically already have a gun. A Glock to be specific. But I'm selling that and was gonna get a 1911 instead. But then I thought how outdated my laptop is and how tired I was of not being able to run most modern games.

Don't get me wrong. The laptop I have is probably the BEST PC for any sort of legacy gaming. But regardless, it's just simply too damn old for the new stuff.

Buying the PC though and not a weapon will leave me without any firepower whatsoever until I finally buy a weapon again. (And who knows how long that's gonna be.) But buying the 1911 will mean I'll have to sit in the Dark Ages for longer. I mean, it's great down here, but one wants a change.

As to what the hell I'm gonna use an M1911 for, I plan it to be a workhorse gun. For both target practice and self-defense. I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives. And also, I highly appreciate the M1911 from an aesthetic perspective. Hands down one of the more beautiful pieces of engineering I've seen.

And finally, why I asked you guys. Games aren't someone's whole personality. Just because they post on a gaming website doesn't automatically mean they're a nerdy shut-in who's never fired a weapon before.

I'd say whichever option allows you to install and play Salt & Sanctuary.

I'd say that the 1911A1 would be better from a practical standpoint. With technological advancements your gaming PC might lose power/become borderline obsolete in only a handful of years. Whereas with the gun, provided we don't suddenly get laser/blaster/phaser/plasma weapons anytime this century, you won't have to worry about upgrades suddenly making it obsolete. Plus with proper maintenance and care the gun can probably has a much, much longer lifespan.

Wintermute:
I don't understand guns and their appeal either.

All I know is that they are (or can be) shiny, and make loud noises.

OT; Get a PC. Then you can play games with the guns you like in them.

I'd get the PC but I don't see any use for the gun, don't get me wrong I'm sure it'll be fun to use but your likely to use it less than the computer, though then again I'm from a third world country so the sheer idea of wasting money on a gun for it to be used for target practice every now and then sounds absolutely ridiculous and when you've been caught in shoot-outs they seem a lot less fun and a lot more dangerous, so, to be honest, I'm biased against the gun.

EDIT: Woah my first warning since like 2010 or something, impressive in any case perhaps my language was strong, but that line of thinking is irresponsible and dangerous, I can understand wanting to own a gun for personal protection, but for a shoot-out? Well you've clearly never been to one so like I said you are just likely to cause more trouble, and worse yet if you turn out to be one of those people that go into a catatonic state when they panic you could simply be providing more firearms to the shooters, but like I said more bullets just increase the risk of collateral damage and let me tell you, I've never in my life killed anyone but once when I was 13 I almost did and just thinking about it still makes me feel like shit, so you could wind up really bad if you did that to an innocent person by accident, because I almost killed some drug dealing scum and I assure that feels positively awful and he was neither killed or innocent.

Anyway, I've said my piece I don't care about the gun I care about your irresponsible way of thinking and the fact that people like that probably shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Ehh, the gun would be a fun 'toy' but really how often would you get to use it? Plus if you are a regular shooter, the cost of ammo can really add up, granted the cost of games can add up too but there are enough free games on steam to have years of fun without spending any cash on games.

Arnoxthe1:
To answer some people's questions, yes, I technically already have a gun. A Glock to be specific. But I'm selling that and was gonna get a 1911 instead.

Out of interest, why sell the Glock to get a 1911?

Oh, and have you had qualified instruction on handgun use?

Arnoxthe1:
I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives.

Yeah...that's not a great mindset, you aren't an action hero.

Considering this isn't the movies, there's no point in buying a gun for self-defense because there's only a 0,01% chance you will use it, and a higher chance that you will just end up hurting yourself or someone else, either trying to be the hero or just by being drunk or something. Buy the PC instead because it will actually serve a purpose.

Arnoxthe1:

And finally, why I asked you guys. Games aren't someone's whole personality. Just because they post on a gaming website doesn't automatically mean they're a nerdy shut-in who's never fired a weapon before.

Thing is though, a lot of the userbase aren't really fans of firearms. For the rest of the post, I'd definitely say the 1911 then. Plenty of games out there that you haven't played that you'd love and would hold you until you get a solid PC.

Thaluikhain:

Out of interest, why sell the Glock to get a 1911?

Probably wants to keep his hands The 1911 is a sexy firearm.

Yeah...that's not a great mindset, you aren't an action hero.

Better than nothing certainly.

Ya know, I keep seeing the argument "I don't see any use in owning a gun" come up, and I just want to say I don't understand this point of view. Are you people telling me that everything you own is 100% practical? You've never bought a leisure item that you enjoy? Listen, guns can be a great hobby. Target shooting is a lot of fun. Honing your skills and getting better at it is a fun pass time. There is also hunting which can be a great time. While not relevant to handguns, shooting skeet and trap with a shotgun is some of the most fun I've had. I go out and do that every so often.

Now I will admit that I don't buy into the whole hero mind set of using your gun to stop a shoot out or something. For 99% of us that is pure fantasy. Now owning a gun as a home defense item, not a completely bad idea. In that regard I view the gun in a similar way to a fire extinguisher. It is something you hope you never have to use, but you'll likely be thankful you had it should the need arise.

To use a little comparison, owning a gun is honestly not much different from owning a a game console. A PS4 or Xbox or whatever serves little practical purpose beyond being an entertainment box. In many cases we own things because we get enjoyment out of them. Now I'm not saying anyone needs to change their mind and suddenly start loving guns. If you don't like em, that is perfectly fine. You are entitled to your opinion, but to claim there is literally no reason to own one is dumb. I'm quite certain everyone here owns something they don't need, but happen to find a degree of enjoyment from owning and using.

Randomosity:
Ya know, I keep seeing the argument "I don't see any use in owning a gun" come up, and I just want to say I don't understand this point of view. Are you people telling me that everything you own is 100% practical? You've never bought a leisure item that you enjoy? Listen, guns can be a great hobby. Target shooting is a lot of fun. Honing your skills and getting better at it is a fun pass time. There is also hunting which can be a great time. While not relevant to handguns, shooting skeet and trap with a shotgun is some of the most fun I've had. I go out and do that every so often.

I can't speak for others (there are clearly people who feel more strongly in the thread about gun ownership than I do) but I gave that line to let the OP know my line of thinking.

It's like my golf clubs; if I said "What should I buy, a gaming PC or a new set of clubs?", someone who doesn't golf is going to wonder why in the world I would consider dropping 4 figures on a set of funny shaped sticks. If a bunch of people said "Buy the PC" but none of them were interested in golf period, I'd want to know that when taking their advice.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here