M1911A1 or a new gaming PC?

Pages PREV 1 2

Buy the gun, though I'd personally go with a different gun than the M1911 or having a separate gun for CC or self defense. Don't get me wrong, I love my own, but it's expensive to shoot and a bit inconvenient to carry around.

But god damn, even if the .45 is expensive it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Leg End:

Yeah...that's not a great mindset, you aren't an action hero.

Better than nothing certainly.[/quote]

More likely it is the other way around. If someone who isn't used to handling a weapon under extreme pressure tries to do it in a live firefight they are more likely to hurt a bystander then the actual criminal that they want to stop. If someone tries to be a hero in a shoot out, they are more likely to get innocent people and themselves hurt or killed. This morbid fascination of having a gun to save the day that's prevalent in some gun owner circles in the USA is actively dangerous to the people around them because no matter how much you practice "tactical shooting" or how efficient you are at shooting deer or duck, it can never prepare you for an actual firefight.

Think about how many shootings have been in public areas in the USA the last decade, despite prevalent concealed carry laws. Now think about how many of them were stopped by a heroic bystander pulling their concealed (or open carried) firearm and taking the criminal shooters out. That'd be about zero, no? People who carried guns in the vicinity of these shootings have come forward afterwards. It turns out that when the shooting started they either got scared, fumbled too much or simply didn't know what to do. Which is still better then being rash and getting someone else killed.

My take? If you badly want a 1911 and think you'd get more out of it then a computer, go for it. Personally, I'd settle for a gun with a smaller, less expensive caliber of bullets, so that I could get more shooting done with it. But I also understand the attraction that some guns have.

Do you already own a gun? Do you just want the gun to own the gun? If you answer these questions with yes, I would definitely say don't buy the gun.
Do you want it to protect yourself in case someone breaks into your home? Then get better locks/doors/windows, most will give up if it takes to long to get inside (at least in my country, not sure how it is in other countries).

In my opinion a gun is unnecessary and I don't understand how someone can ask the question.

Final advice, if you have a credit card debt, try to pay it off with your money. That would be comparable to investing the money somewhere with, I think, 10 or more % interest

Arnoxthe1:
I have around $700 to spend. Now, I could get a sexy Springfield Mil-Spec M1911, which I've wanted for a very long time, or I could go the more practical route and get a mid-range gaming PC and join the modern world. What do you guys think?

Get the .45 now, since that's a pretty good price.

Get the PC through financing on either Amazon or Newegg. Paypal also has a credit system.

All of the above options offer at least 6 months to pay without interest, then ya get hit with whatever has accrued over that time...so, yeah. Effectively 0 if you have the sense to manage it.

Arnoxthe1:
I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives.

I want you to envision two scenarios.

1: A shooting happens near you; you draw your weapon and approach the scene. Police arrive, see you, think "concerned citizen" and politely ask you to holster your weapon and leave the scene.

2: A shooting happens near you; you draw your weapon and approach the scene. Police arrive, see you, think "armed perp" and shoot you to death on the spot.

Which seems more likely in this day and age? Anyone who carries a concealed firearm needs to understand all possible ramifications.

Kaleion:
I'd get the PC but I don't see any use for the gun, don't get me wrong I'm sure it'll be fun to use but your likely to use it less than the computer, though then again I'm from a third world country so the sheer idea of wasting money on a gun for it to be used for target practice every now and then sounds absolutely ridiculous and when you've been caught in shoot-outs they seem a lot less fun and a lot more dangerous, so, to be honest, I'm biased against the gun.

EDIT: Woah my first warning since like 2010 or something, impressive in any case perhaps my language was strong, but that line of thinking is irresponsible and dangerous, I can understand wanting to own a gun for personal protection, but for a shoot-out? Well you've clearly never been to one so like I said you are just likely to cause more trouble, and worse yet if you turn out to be one of those people that go into a catatonic state when they panic you could simply be providing more firearms to the shooters, but like I said more bullets just increase the risk of collateral damage and let me tell you, I've never in my life killed anyone but once when I was 13 I almost did and just thinking about it still makes me feel like shit, so you could wind up really bad if you did that to an innocent person by accident, because I almost killed some drug dealing scum and I assure that feels positively awful and he was neither killed or innocent.

Anyway, I've said my piece I don't care about the gun I care about your irresponsible way of thinking and the fact that people like that probably shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Thaluikhain:
Oh, and have you had qualified instruction on handgun use?

Yeah...that's not a great mindset, you aren't an action hero.

OK, so I think I need to explain myself better. It's very understandable that some might think I just wanna be Captain America here. And there are indeed some people like that. They'll carry a gun because they think it'll make them invincible. They think it's not a HUGE responsibility and even a liability in some cases. I understand that. I also understand collateral damage and the tendency for some bullets to overpenetrate and hit innocent bystanders. I understand that I probably (and hopefully) will never have to use my weapon. And I understand that police might take me as suspicious or even think that I might be the shooter in a dangerous situation.

I understand that concealed carrying means that the weapon needs to be hidden at ALL times for obvious reasons and it should only be used on an EMERGENCY basis. NEVER for my own personal gratification. I understand that one needs to practice with their chosen weapon so they can be proficient enough with it to actually be of use in an emergency situation and to not accidentally shoot themselves or someone else. I understand that people who conceal carry must be on the level at all times. They do not anymore have the freedom to provoke confrontations or be sloppy in their dealings with people. That despite whatever a person may say or do to provoke, the responsibility is now PURELY on you to walk away, now matter how mad you feel or how unjustified it all is.

I'm sorry if I came off as some idiot who's trying to be tacticool. And I totally get that the avatar and badges don't exactly help my case right now. But I do understand all this and I accept these responsibilities and the things that I must keep in mind. I'm taking this decision to conceal carry VERY seriously.

As to why... I'm not one of those people who can just sit around and watch horrible things be done before my eyes. Especially to other people. And if having the ability to protect not just myself but other people means that I must carry a lot more responsibility and liability than most others then so be it. I accept it. Better I go through this than another person get away with murdering and/or torturing who knows how many people just because they have a firearm and others do not.

And BTW, there have actually been COUNTLESS situations where people who conceal carry have stopped crimes dead in their tracks. (no pun intended) See for yourself: http://crimeresearch.org/2016/09/uber-driver-in-chicago-stops-mass-public-shooting/ (There's a lot more than one story in there despite the URL. I believe they're now using that page to post any such related stories they find.)

And no, not everyone who conceal carries is fit for it. But some are. And they DO save lives.

Arnoxthe1:

As to what the hell I'm gonna use an M1911 for, I plan it to be a workhorse gun. For both target practice and self-defense. I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives. And also, I highly appreciate the M1911 from an aesthetic perspective. Hands down one of the more beautiful pieces of engineering I've seen.

You're not going to conceal carry a 1911. You'll try for a month or 2, but then you'll realize that you hate it because it's too big, too heavy, and too annoying to conceal properly.

If you want a CC pistol go for a glock 43. I'm not even a big fan of glocks, but that's pretty much the gold standard for concealed carry.

Dirty Hipsters:

Arnoxthe1:

As to what the hell I'm gonna use an M1911 for, I plan it to be a workhorse gun. For both target practice and self-defense. I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives. And also, I highly appreciate the M1911 from an aesthetic perspective. Hands down one of the more beautiful pieces of engineering I've seen.

You're not going to conceal carry a 1911. You'll try for a month or 2, but then you'll realize that you hate it because it's too big, too heavy, and too annoying to conceal properly.

If you want a CC pistol go for a glock 43. I'm not even a big fan of glocks, but that's pretty much the gold standard for concealed carry.

I can't stand Glocks. I think they are a piece of crap gun. Personally my CC Pistol is my Ruger LC9S. Not that I particularly carry very much. Usually just when I go down to the city. Though I do fully agree on the 1911 point. It is a fantastic gun. The 1911 shoots like a dream and is fun to shoot, but it is an awful choice as a concealed weapon. If someone wants a range toy, I'd recommend the 1911 any day of the week. If what they want is a CC Pistol, then I'd have to point them to either the LC9S, The Springfield XDS, the S&W Shield, or a Glock. As for which of those is best, that comes down to personal preference and which one your hand best.

Dirty Hipsters:

Arnoxthe1:

And not to mention, a low magazine capacity. In a panicky situation like self defense, you're likely to miss a great deal even with training and practice. Having those extra shots can make all the difference.

I'm not really much into guns, but I've read up on m1911 some time ago (it is an iconic gun after all) and iirc most of the guns of this type on the market are mass produced and suffer from low build quality, resulting in significant spread. Not to mention, it's a pretty hefty piece, concealed carry would be a pain, as folks have pointed out before. If you need a gun for practical use, I'd probably suggest sticking with your Glock or picking an another wondernine. This changes a bit if you're talking about a high quality m1911 variant, but even so - it's big and it's heavy. Gaming PC sounds like a hoot, but if you live in the sort of neighborhood you wouldn't feel safe in without a gun, I suppose I'd put it off until later especially since technology moves on, the later you buy a new PC, the more bang you'll get for your buck, most likely.

Get the gun, and a Raspberry Pi, and Drone, in which to create the best home defence droid ever. Seriously though, do what makes you happy, stay safe, and don't get married if you're happy enough with a pet cat, and a dildo.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here