Ideas to help Make the Escapist Great Again

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This site isn't what it used to be, one need only look at the content release table on the first page to see that. So this thread is yet another one where we discuss ideas on how to save this place despite the fact we aren't being paid and that isn't our job.

Here's my two cents: get four or five YouTubers on here.

Here are some ideas.

First is Digibro. He makes decent anime analysis/discussion content, with a consistant release scehdual and a user base that's large and loyal enough that he has a secondary vloging/shitposting/ranting/mixtape channel large enough that one could theoretically make a living off that alone pre-adpocolypse.

His content isn't like anything this site has had in years, and his fanbase is one that a few new users would be showing up if they knew a video each week from him was being posted here a week before his channel. He's in the range where I'd say he's large enough to be worth it for the site, but small enough that he'd possibly be open to the idea (though that really goes for all the people I'm mentioning).

Next is Super Bunnyhop, a rising name in gaming due to his interesting content. He wouldn't really be at odds with Yahtzee since his content, while game related, is different enough that they'd not really be doing the same type of videos even if they covered the same game. George doesn't tend to do new releases for a good month until after they've launched anyway so they wouldn't be likely to even post on the same game in the same week anyway.

After that is SF Debris, maker of long form episode reviews of Star Trek that branched out into other franchises. With his main attraction being his Saturday Trek episode reviews, he's not only be a good addition to this place but his schedule would leave a day of the workweek open for more featured content. He has a small but very dedicated fanbase, so having his Trek videos posted here a week earlier then his site would get a noteworthy boost from that. The fact he once had his content hosted on Channel Awesome also means he's the one I think would be most open to coming here out of all those I've listed.

Then there's Razorfist, the Rageaholic. His content is all over the place, from video games, to comics, to metal, to movies, to politics, news of any of these things and much more. His work is entertaining if nothing else, and it would be great to see him get an excuse to do a weekly gaming retrospective (give us Civilization already!).

Now one that seems out of left field is my last idea: Isaac Athur. A man who discusses science fiction ideas that are not only possible, but likely to occur or are at least within the realm of the physical laws of our universe, his content is one that makes you wonder how he doesn't have his own television series given that his channel, which is a hobby, manages to have better quality then most television series that try to do something similar. He is the most radical departure from anything this site has ever had, even taking Reel Physics into account, but that's not a negative given just how good his content is and how well it fits in with this place if you think about it.

That's just my two cents, how do you rest of you think we can Make the Escapist Great Again?

We DID get a Youtuber in here. His name is Yahtzee. The Escapist may need more content providers, but technical staff is needed, as well.

FalloutJack:
We DID get a Youtuber in here. His name is Yahtzee. The Escapist may need more content providers, but technical staff is needed, as well.

Yes and we also have Cecil, but the two of them can't carry this site alone. We need at least one person per weekday just for content's sake.

And yeah, this place needs technical staff too, but if there's no content then it doesn't matter how much technical staff you have.

I think that it's painfully obvious that they don't have the money to afford anything new. What little they have probably goes to current content creators, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're not being payed on time either. Isn't that what has already happened once a few years back when a bunch of content creators left?

It really doesn't sound like they care much at this point. When the content schedule hasn't been updated in 2 months despite the fact pretty much everyone but yathzee was let go, it kinda gives the impression no one gives a damn. Hell, nobody on staff even bothered to announce they were letting the CM/EDA and the Good Bad Flicks guys go. Because apparently it's really difficult to type up a quick news article saying "These content creators are no longer going to producing new content for us". Nope. Nothing.

It's really starting to feel like this place has been abandoned and nobody on staff cared enough to lock the doors before they left on their last day. The rest of us are hanging out until the utilities get shut off because nobody is paying the bill.

Go back in time to August 2014.

Shut down a certain thread, and don't allow the people who drove away the vast majority of the sites traffic to get toehold on the site and create the atmosphere that drove the vast majority of the sites traffic away.

Windknight:

Shut down a certain thread, and don't allow the people who drove away the vast majority of the sites traffic to get toehold on the site and create the atmosphere that drove the vast majority of the sites traffic away.

So basically do what they wanted to do, realized it would destroy their public image so bad they'd end up like Kotaku, but instead of banning half the gamer userbase instead ban the half that pretended everything was okay in the industry?

I'm sorry, but the myth that GG is what killed this site despite what had already been years of a downward trend in both it and the industry needs to got away. Especially given how the people who drove away traffic are constantly ignored since they are "on the right side of history".

A site is only as good as its admins. It is an extension of who they are. You can't fix a site you don't own unless the admins are communicative. If the admins were communicative, I can almost guarantee this site would not be at the point it presently is. But they have chosen this route for us. The most we can all hope for is they sell the site to a competent group of administrators that genuinely care and are open to communication. Otherwise, you're all fucked.

Epyc Wynn:
Otherwise, you're all fucked.

Didn't you literally post how to destroy this site a few months back?

Why are you so intent on saving this place? I thought you hated it.

/pol/ not working out?

The Community would have to stop pretending like they aren't a large part of the reason for this.

I'll give some actual pointers later or tomarrow. But for now, just know that it is as much the fault of the community as it is the actual owners.

'two cents' is an appropriate phrase, because I think that's the budget the Escapist/Defy Media is working with around here. I mean, there's been a couple attempts at getting more content here, but given everyone keeps getting let go shortly after getting hired... yeah.

And, hell, it's been mentioned before but... still no tech team. What kind of budget would they have for content when they can't even hire a tech team? Shit, the solution to the spam problem lately has been 'recruit more unpaid mods to ban the threads' instead of hiring someone with some tech experience to patch the hole. I feel there's... little money to hire creators like SFDebris given that, honestly.

There's nothing that can be done. Defy is fucked. They need to let Yahtzee go so they can afford to pay a wider pool of contributors, but if they let Yahtzee go nobody would stick around to see it happen. We're all just waiting for the day either the money runs out or Mr Croshaw finally decides he can strike out on his own.

You really think Razorfist would fly with the people here?

He's not exactly liberal.

anthony87:
You really think Razorfist would fly with the people here?

He's not exactly liberal.

Hey, I've not made it a secret that I've been working to set up a /pol/ack colony on this site. He'd definitely help.

If great means highly profitable, you would probably need to find a gap in the massively over saturated games journalism market. Possibly a Trump supporting, alt right video games journalism site? Or you could change Escapist into Separatist and go for New World Order opposing doomsday prepper militia video games journalism market.

DEFY is certainly not confident in the escapiest operations anymore, by showing the way they have cut content so rapidly. It is a very good sign that not only things not going well. But also a future shut down is going to happen sooner than later,It is a shame but that is business.

Breakdown:
If great means highly profitable, you would probably need to find a gap in the massively over saturated games journalism market. Possibly a Trump supporting, alt right video games journalism site? Or you could change Escapist into Separatist and go for New World Order opposing doomsday prepper militia video games journalism market.

There was already an alt right gaming site called reaxxion

It failed in 9 months

Breakdown:

You know I think an idea that has legs would be to have the same game reviewed by two reviewers at complete opposite poles in a panel like environment. To save money it could be an audio only affair with gameplay footage in similar principal to a LetsPlay. Maybe get a Twitch channel and have a third party play it while they provide commentary or something.

Gordon_4:

Breakdown:

You know I think an idea that has legs would be to have the same game reviewed by two reviewers at complete opposite poles in a panel like environment. To save money it could be an audio only affair with gameplay footage in similar principal to a LetsPlay. Maybe get a Twitch channel and have a third party play it while they provide commentary or something.

The problem with that, and this is one that exists in not just gaming but much of the media in general, is that most works can't really be analysed from the perspective of a political ideology. Not without it being the analysts' projection of their views onto the subject-matter in question.

For every Call of Duty 4 with its nuke scene and commentary on the war on terror (as lowbrow as it is) there are dozens of completely apolitical management games, sports games, racing games and the like.

You could make a weekly show out of it, but you couldn't make it be the driving force behind what you're doing.

undeadsuitor:

Breakdown:

It failed in 9 months

Let's bear in mind what Winston Churchill said, "success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts".

Zontar:
First is Digibro. He makes decent anime analysis/discussion content, with a consistant release scehdual and a user base that's large and loyal enough that he has a secondary vloging/shitposting/ranting/mixtape channel large enough that one could theoretically make a living off that alone pre-adpocolypse.

Since Digi has had it in mind for years to set up a sort of enclave of affiliated content creators, im pretty certain he has no interest in working for a publication.

gigastar:

Zontar:

Since Digi has had it in mind for years to set up a sort of enclave of affiliated content creators, im pretty certain he has no interest in working for a publication.

Yeah and look where that's got him: not one food closer to anything, and a not particularly amicable (but not outright hostile) relationship with the rest of the content creators he'd once hoped to do that with.

There's a reason he's absent from the near constant streams these guys do.

Zontar:

gigastar:

Zontar:

Yeah and look where that's got him: not one food closer to anything, and a not particularly amicable (but not outright hostile) relationship with the rest of the content creators he'd once hoped to do that with.

Actually the reason hes absent most of the time is because hes currently bumming around the country looking for a better place to set up his enclave again.

Do you actually follow him? You should know this.

gigastar:

Zontar:

gigastar:

Actually the reason hes absent most of the time is because hes currently bumming around the country looking for a better place to set up his enclave again.

That's a recent development, and isn't the reason why he's been in that type of relationship with the rest of the community's creators for years now.

I think the Pedantic Romantic is the only one he's on good terms with who makes videos instead of just writing articles. Except maybe Dave, but Dave doesn't count.

Zontar:

gigastar:

Zontar:

That's a recent development, and isn't the reason why he's been in that type of relationship with the rest of the community's creators for years now.

I think the Pedantic Romantic is the only one he's on good terms with who makes videos instead of just writing articles. Except maybe Dave, but Dave doesn't count.

Then you clearly dont follow him.

He, in fact, hates most of the other anime youtubers.

Breakdown:

undeadsuitor:

Breakdown:

It failed in 9 months

Let's bear in mind what Winston Churchill said, "success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts".

Considering it failed 2 years ago and there hasn't been an alt right gaming site since, I'd say that failure was fatal

Truthfully, there isn't just a market for right wing gaming stuff (or else it would have succeeded or had a successor)

Since the site will not pay for the videos either way(if they could afford them, they wouldn't have canceled Rob Rath's and Shamus Young's weekly columns, nor Critical Miss) getting them on the site would be nothing more than the Escapist agreeing to co-post the videos, and meanwhile providing a forum to discuss the videos.

With this in mind, I know of someone who is remarkably consistent in delivering videos on a weekly basis, his content would fit within this site's demographics and I am sure none of his videos would violate whatever standards the Escapist has.

His name is Moviebob, and he makes weekly videos of pop culture analysis. I have a feeling his content would be right up the Escapist community's alley; I frequently see comments on his videos that has the same user name and avatar as members on these forums.

Failing that, there is a quite prominent video game consumer activist, who holds weekly videos where he berates the video game industry's most dirty practices, and ethics was apparently an important issue for the Escapist, so he ought to fit in well. The show is called The Jimquisition, and I honestly think it does not need any further introduction, it is quite famous on its own.

There is also another show that seems to have more of scholarly vibe, but it still uses cute animations to illustrate the points they are making. They also tackle the issues from more of a developer's perspective, which I think is an important perspective to keep in mind. The show is called Extra Credits and apart from some hiccups they manage to put out one video a week.

I can point out additional shows that tackle similar material, but these are the ones that I'd argue fit the best with the original post's description of making the Escapist Great Again.

gigastar:

Zontar:

gigastar:

That's... kind of my point? I'm pretty sure I stated that Pedantic Romantic and Dave are the only one's he's on good terms with. Which, in Dave's case, I should hope given he's his brother and editor.

undeadsuitor:

Truthfully, there isn't just a market for right wing gaming stuff (or else it would have succeeded or had a successor)

Given the general state of the industry, I'd say it's safe to bet that no ideology, one way or the other, can reach the critical mass needed to garner an audience in itself. It's just too small, too niche, to cut off half or more of your potential audience.

Bedinsis:

I can point out additional shows that tackle similar material, but these are the ones that I'd argue fit the best with the original post's description of making the Escapist Great Again.

Jim may make decent content, but Extra Credits has gone downhill worst then the Simpsons or Family Guy (wasn't too long after they left that happened, now that I think about it), and Bob got himself fired for good reason (plus his content was never that good to begin with).

We this site needs first and foremost is a tech team. Also since most YouTubers can now make a living off of YouTube (ContentID notwithstanding) there is no need for them to sign on with the Escapist.

Zontar:

gigastar:

Zontar:

That's... kind of my point? I'm pretty sure I stated that Pedantic Romantic and Dave are the only one's he's on good terms with. Which, in Dave's case, I should hope given he's his brother and editor.

You do know about Pro Crastinators, dont you?

Those are the people hes friends with, and wants to work with in his enclave project.

Canadamus Prime:
We this site needs first and foremost is a tech team. Also since most YouTubers can now make a living off of YouTube (ContentID notwithstanding) there is no need for them to sign on with the Escapist.

Actually most youtubers make money through Patreon, GoFuindMe and superchat donations during streams.

Ad revenue was never reliable, and in recent months since the PewDiePie incident, its outright unsustainable.

gigastar:

You do know about Pro Crastinators, dont you?

Those are the people hes friends with, and wants to work with in his enclave project.

I was not aware of that, and given the number of subscribers it has coupled with how many views its videos have neither is the vast majority of the audiences of each of those creators.

His secondary channel does better then that.

Canadamus Prime:

Cecil seemed to be more then happy to do it, and that was before the advent of the adpocalypse.

Dammit, I swore my 1,337th post would be my last.

Of the two fat SJWs, I think Bob would be the only one that would really benefit from coming back. The Escapist somehow kept his content grounded and he was alot more watchable back then.

Escapist can't afford Jim, and Extra Credits we're just games industry shills/apologists, a low rent Penny Arcade but without the edge.

At this point the Escapist is like the Imperium of Man, Yahtzee traffic keeps the servers going, and the forums are just active enough for me to get a feel for what the young'uns are talking about without me needing to bother with creating Twatter/Tumbler/Readit accounts. The stagnation is an equilibrium, more effort and they can't afford to keep the site up, less and it dies due to apathy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here