Anyone watched Spider-Man Homecoming? (spoilers inside)

Pages PREV 1 2

Saelune:
I dont want Miles. I dont like him. Plus he means Peter is dead, fuck that. Goblin is important to Spider-Man and The Avengers. I'd like them to build him up in Spider-Man then eventually have him become a big Marvel baddie, especially since we might never get Dr. Doom.

They killed off the Shocker just to replace him with a black guy, cause they really want to be blatant about turning everyone they can into another ethnicity.

I like classic Flash better, especially cause he is supposed to be "stronger" than Peter, but actually isnt. I'd be fine with him turning hero later though, cause he usually does. This Flash is just annoying though.

I don't know much about Miles. Like his suit though. Considering that Spider-man is leading the charge into the new MCU, I'd say one of his villains being the big bad for the next generation of Avengers is highly probable. That's something new they could do, since villains don't seem to be getting killed off anymore Osborn could form his some variation on the Dark Avengers. We've already seen superheroes fighting other super-heroes, now we can see superheroes fighting other superheroes' villains.

And the Shocker who was killed is actually some nobody in the comics, the guy they replaced him with is the real Shocker from the comics. The comic Shocker is white though.

Saelune:
I dont want Miles. I dont like him. Plus he means Peter is dead, fuck that. Goblin is important to Spider-Man and The Avengers. I'd like them to build him up in Spider-Man then eventually have him become a big Marvel baddie, especially since we might never get Dr. Doom.

They killed off the Shocker just to replace him with a black guy, cause they really want to be blatant about turning everyone they can into another ethnicity.

I like classic Flash better, especially cause he is supposed to be "stronger" than Peter, but actually isnt. I'd be fine with him turning hero later though, cause he usually does. This Flash is just annoying though.

I heard a theory that Norman Osborn could be who Tony Stark sold the Avengers Tower to and that it will become the Oscorp Tower in the Spiderman sequel.

I enjoyed it. I liked the cast and the Vulture is absolutely one of Marvel's best villains. The car scene with Keaton and Holland is one of my favorites in the MCU in general and that reveal caused a collective "Oh, shit" from everyone. I saw the ares reveal coming from a mile away, but this one somehow slipped right past me. And when the credits started rolling everyone in the theater applauded! First time I'd ever seen it.

MJ was a wierd entity. She went through a lot of character development considering the amount of screen time dedicated to her. It's like she had her own movie going on in the background that we didn't get to see.

jklinders:
One thing I hated was the whole "no one is listening to the kid" element. I've had a hate on for that trope since I was over exposed to it from 80s and movies. In fact, the whole subplot where Tony Stark was watching and simultaneously ignoring Peter was a real drag on the story. It might have been good if handled well but as it was I simply annoyed with it.

Wasn't it revealed that Tony was actually not ignoring Peter? That not only did Tony receive most, if not all the messages Peter left, but also called the FBI to handle the Vulture problem. Tony only stopped listening after the suit was taken away, which meant losing the tracking device and recordings. The only time Peter is actually ignored is when Happy hangs up on Ned.

Saelune:

They don't necessarily have to kill Peter. Miles' origin story was changed since he joined the 616, right? And, if they like the killing Peter angle, they can always go the Spider-verse route.

As for the MCU's doctor doom, I was actually kind of hoping Mandarin would fill that role.

Yes it's an origin story about him getting used to the new suit and his powers, but Spiderman fails at LITERALLY EVERYTHING he does in the movie in some way. Even when he wins he loses, all for laughs.

See you need to keep in check that term 'all for laughs' because it changes the context of the statement he 'fails at LITERALLY EVERYTHING. It changes the entire meaning in to the reason he fails is NOT because he is new, young, a bit arrogant, desperate to impress, impulsive and prone to poor decision making, the stuff that all young people tend to be to a degree or another let alone one given an effective super suit by an Avenger who happens to be strong enough to lift cars and instead makes it seem like the only reason he fails IS to get the laughs, which I firmly believe is not what was intended.

Yes Marvel could have opted to play down the comic quips on some of the fails (then again what's a Marvel movie without a quip here and there) but end of the day their were plenty of situations in which he did fail where their was no comic intention or overtone being used, the ferry incident when Tony ends up taking the suit back, the underground parking lot when Vulture crushes him under debris, the fact he loses the girl despite doing what many would say is the right thing.

I definitely agree though that his collateral damage was just for laughs. He was tearing so much shit up I expected them to make it part of the story

Well to be fair he is trying to be part of The Avengers and so far as a team their count includes a significant part of an international Airport, a large part of down town New York, a large part of whatever city the Hulk and Hulk Buster went toe to toe in and oh yeah an entire fucking city being dropped out of the sky.

Captain Marvelous:

jklinders:
One thing I hated was the whole "no one is listening to the kid" element. I've had a hate on for that trope since I was over exposed to it from 80s and movies. In fact, the whole subplot where Tony Stark was watching and simultaneously ignoring Peter was a real drag on the story. It might have been good if handled well but as it was I simply annoyed with it.

Wasn't it revealed that Tony was actually not ignoring Peter? That not only did Tony receive most, if not all the messages Peter left, but also called the FBI to handle the Vulture problem. Tony only stopped listening after the suit was taken away, which meant losing the tracking device and recordings. The only time Peter is actually ignored is when Happy hangs up on Ned.

They made it pretty obvious too. Tony remembered the churro that some foreign lady gave Peter, he remembered that Peter left the school band, etc. Unfortunately the idea that Tony is actually paying attention to Peter was totally ruined by the trailer. It was a great idea, I even noticed that when he saves Peter from drowning, the animation on the suit seemed a little stiff, and boom it turned out that he wasn't in the suit at all. Leave it to Sony to screw something like this up.

Bob_McMillan:

Captain Marvelous:

jklinders:

They made it pretty obvious too. Tony remembered the churro that some foreign lady gave Peter, he remembered that Peter left the school band, etc. Unfortunately the idea that Tony is actually paying attention to Peter was totally ruined by the trailer. It was a great idea, I even noticed that when he saves Peter from drowning, the animation on the suit seemed a little stiff, and boom it turned out that he wasn't in the suit at all. Leave it to Sony to screw something like this up.

My problem with the film is that I found it very lacking in finding an emotional investment or hook to the character. It felt like a very safe and bland movie just so Sony and Marvel can shake hands with not pissing each other off. If you want to do that, fine, but take some risks if you want to go small scale. Spider-Man isn't a safe character.

Saelune:
Best version of Spider-Man, which is enough to make up for all my other issues with it.

No Harry, which may mean no Norman, aka Green Goblin, who not only is the most important Spider-Man villain, but an important Marvel villain.

They ruined The Shocker in a way that felt like a personal "fuck you" to me.

Flash...wow, Flash. I thought I was going to be upset with MJ, but they didnt even try with Flash. That character is not Flash, not one bit.

Also, thats 2 references to Ferris Bueller's Day Off in 2 Marvel movies.

Im glad Vulture survived. Good to see they do intend to set up the Sinister Six.

Honestly I thought the Ferris Bueller reference in Homecoming was terrible. I liked it when he was running across the yard and that was a decent homage, but they kinda ruined their own homage since the next backyard had a pool party and they are playing that exact same scene they are referencing. Added with Peter saying, "Great movie!" That's kinda explaining your joke.

Shocker was mainly just a reference to Spectacular Spider-Man. The first Shocker was named after Montana, one of the Enforcers. The second Shocker was Herman Schultz. I'm not defending it though. It was still lame.

Yeah, Flash's character was pretty lame and not that threatening either. Not funny either. Penis Parker? Really? -_-

Captain Marvelous:
I enjoyed it. I liked the cast and the Vulture is absolutely one of Marvel's best villains. The car scene with Keaton and Holland is one of my favorites in the MCU in general and that reveal caused a collective "Oh, shit" from everyone. I saw the ares reveal coming from a mile away, but this one somehow slipped right past me. And when the credits started rolling everyone in the theater applauded! First time I'd ever seen it.

MJ was a wierd entity. She went through a lot of character development considering the amount of screen time dedicated to her. It's like she had her own movie going on in the background that we didn't get to see.

jklinders:

Saelune:

They don't necessarily have to kill Peter. Miles' origin story was changed since he joined the 616, right? And, if they like the killing Peter angle, they can always go the Spider-verse route.

As for the MCU's doctor doom, I was actually kind of hoping Mandarin would fill that role.

Honestly I found no arc for MJ. Michele was a decent character, but the name drop at the end felt like just pandering to the fans. Also I kinda feel like Peter not being Spider-Man without the high tech suit was kinda dumb since oh yeah, you have a homemade suit.

Saelune:
No Harry, which may mean no Norman, aka Green Goblin, who not only is the most important Spider-Man villain, but an important Marvel villain.

No reason Harry can't still show up later on. MCU Peter is still in high school, and comic Peter didn't meet Harry there. That didn't happen till college (and by extension, Norman, although he had already appeared as the Goblin by then).

Beside, they've already done the Goblin three times, two of which felt pretty damn rushed. If they do him again, I'd they take the time to properly build up what is arguably THE Spidey nemesis. They're also taking MCU Spidey along a different route from his main comic universe counterpart (the whole future Avenger in training mentored by a main member is reminiscent of Ultimate Spidey), so I'd say they still have some leeway.

Chimpzy:

Saelune:

No reason Harry can't still show up later on. MCU Peter is still in high school, and comic Peter didn't meet Harry there. That didn't happen till college (and by extension, Norman, although he had already appeared as the Goblin by then).

Beside, they've already done the Goblin three times, two of which felt pretty damn rushed. If they do him again, I'd they take the time to properly build up what is arguably THE Spidey nemesis. They're also taking MCU Spidey along a different route from his main comic universe counterpart (the whole future Avenger in training mentored by a main member is reminiscent of Ultimate Spidey), so I'd say they still have some leeway.

Im so used to versions where he is friends with him by default and in Highschool, I was apparently unaware of that. Good to know.

As for Green Goblin, I wasnt hoping for him to show up, just to be set up. That Harry Osbourne is around and thus his father exists. I want MCU Green Goblin to not only live, but become an antagonist beyond just Spider-Man.

What Civil War showed was that you dont need cosmic threats for these movies. Though if they ever do Osborn's Thunderbolt Avengers, that would be sweet.

Saelune:
Im so used to versions where he is friends with him by default and in Highschool, I was apparently unaware of that. Good to know.

Same goes for Mary Jane, actually. Peter didn't meet her until after he'd already met Harry and Gwen Stacy in college. Many other versions introduce her a lot earlier too. I can get why they tend to do it tho. The college era supporting cast is frankly a lot more interesting than the high school one, but high school did have the benefit of the ever popular Loser Parker/Heroic Spidey dynamic. Combining offers the best of both worlds.

As for Green Goblin, I wasnt hoping for him to show up, just to be set up. That Harry Osbourne is around and thus his father exists. I want MCU Green Goblin to not only live, but become an antagonist beyond just Spider-Man.

Agreed, but I suppose only time will tell if we'll get a proper magnificent bastard Gobbo. And that they don't kill him off quickly, like pretty much every other villain in the MCU save for Loki (and Thanos, but he's only just got off his chair).

What Civil War showed was that you dont need cosmic threats for these movies. Though if they ever do Osborn's Thunderbolt Avengers, that would be sweet.

Yes, yes it would be.

I was super offended that they saved some random Manhattan buildings, only to destroy the Coney Island Parachute Jump.
That's a New York icon!
Lousy Queens kid has no respect.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook