Castlevania on Netflix

Pages PREV 1 2

Id like to watch it but my hatred for konami makes me not want to watch it because then it supports them.

I just find it fitting how the first good game adaptation to come out of the West is NOT based on recent games that frequently tout cinematic storytelling, but a series that has lasted for over thirty years that has more focus on gameplay rather than conventional narrative, takes cues from Gothic horror, the Universal and Hammer Horror films aesthetic, with a dash of 80s and 90s anime/manga like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Vampire Hunter D, then throws in wild anachronisms, and whose history has created a bizarre timeline that reads like a multi-generational epic spanning nearly 1000 years.

Seriously, this adaptation should not exist, it should not work, but somehow it did. It is a unicorn the production team somehow managed to catch. I really have to analyze why this managed to click and not all the other failed attempts at adapting games (not counting obvious ones like Street Fighter and Mario). The team really hit it out of the park and I can't wait to see what they do with Season 2

Game-to-movie translations have never fared well, I think the 4 eps were "testing the waters." Since it seems to have gotten positive reviews, the subsequent seasons are likely to be longer. Overall, I quite enjoyed it.

I thought it was pretty good.

It's way too short though, but I assume that the reason they did that was that they were wary of doing a video game show (since those almost always suck) and only commissioned a few episodes as a test, but at this point the next two seasons (which apparently will each be eight episodes long) are confirmed.

The only parts that I didn't like was there was no music from the game series and the dialogue with the "Speakers" was sometimes a bit corny. Like...I wanted them to shut up. The "Speakers" just annoyed me in general, especially when

Dalisclock:

Maybe they'll just remake the first game yet again....this time as a pachinko machine.

Didn't something like that actually happen, or is my brain not working right now?

I liked it.

It showed Dracula at his highest level and why he went crazy.

And the way that blue eyed demon told off and then took out that jerk Bishop was part cruel, part nasty and part awesome.

Can't wait to see season 2 if this season was just testing out the waters.

I Liked this series, and made me interested in playing a castlevania game (I've never done so) What is the best castlevania game in your opinion? What is the best 2D castlevania, and what is the best 3D one?

I like that it actually feels like its adapting a video game.

Also it makes me think of The Boondocks, in animation style and like, that whole tavern inn conversation about the goat fucker and complaining about the nobility.

I'm really liking it, but every time I watch it all I can think about is how the Berserk anime should be ashamed of its own existence.

The Americans did a better Berserk with Castlevania than Japan has managed to do with the actual Berserk. Shame on you Japan. Shame.

Scarytown:

Get some nudity going. Dudity. Lewdity. Doesn't really matter, but American animation is sorely lacking in good ol' fashioned nakedness.

I mean, they don't show dong, but the end of the Trevor/Alucard fight's launched a thousand ships.

I liked it but I thought the gore part was kinda overrated. I mean some people mention about it and I wasn't exactly shocked upon seeing it.

Also man, past Christianity has a bad rep these days. First Bersek and now this (yes I know there are more examples of it but other than Paranorman and maybe Secret of Kells, I have not seen many of it).

I'm hoping they expand on it, but it was a good touch that there was a non-asshole aligned priest just hanging around town who could make holy water.

Let's you make a case that only certain over-zealous factions of the Church are the problem, not the Church as a whole.

What little I've seen of the show looks pretty okay. Only one thing bugs me, the setting is in Romania, right? The priests look Catholic, but if this really is Romania, then shouldn't the dominant religion be Christian Orthodoxy?

Beards are hard to animate while keeping the character looking like a bastard, and Ellis hates the Catholic hierarchy.

On the other hand, high lord frog-throat is an Archbishop, not a Pope, with would be consistent with the Orthodox Church at the time.

Given how much Ellis I've read, I figure he got "bad guys look like Catholic douchbags" and "extended intro about sheep-f*cking" in exchange for not being too Ellis-y the rest of the series. Considering what he writes when he's got full control, they needed to throw him a bone so the Blue Fangs and his fellow demons wouldn't literally love that insane bishop dude, ifyouknowwhatImean. Netflix will put up with a lot, but guro probably isn't on the list.

I thought it was crap.

Trevor is a generic, too-cool-for-school, anti-hero, super-badass, but we are stuck with him for a season which is paradoxically too short to tell a full story, yet also long enough to require lots of padding in the form of stretched scenes of redundant dialogue. The sound and the animation is poor for the most part, lacking any real dynamics or visual story telling: once some characters start talking, they'll stand around and keep talking for ages. Even the villains are boring. Look, an evil priest! Or how about this other evil priest? Yes, lets introduce yet another, even more evil priest! Blah.

Jute88:
What little I've seen of the show looks pretty okay. Only one thing bugs me, the setting is in Romania, right? The priests look Catholic, but if this really is Romania, then shouldn't the dominant religion be Christian Orthodoxy?

I dont think historical accuracy was ever Castlevania's intent.

ScorpionPrince:
I Liked this series, and made me interested in playing a castlevania game (I've never done so) What is the best castlevania game in your opinion? What is the best 2D castlevania, and what is the best 3D one?

That's not the question that you should be asking as 3D Castlevanias are all spin-offs and mostly unimportant, what you should be asking is what is the best Classic Castlevania and what is the best Metroidvania?

And to both of which the answers are dubious, classic I'd recommend the very first one or it's remake Castlevania Chronicles on PS1 and well the one they chose to adapt, Castlevania 3 is also fantastic, just keep in mind that classic Castlevania games are really hard, like they are part of the reason the term NES hard exists.

As for Metroidvania, well there's much to be argued here and it'll be impossible to escape without a recommendation for Symphony of the Night, although I think Aria of Sorrow is just as good.

Alternatively, if you want a good mix of the 2, get Dracula X Chronicles, it's a Remake of the last classic Castlevania game that includes the classic TurboGrafx CD game Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, it's for PSP though.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here