Escapism UK: Summer 2017 - Manchester Report

Hello everyone! Revelo here and once again I bring you the report from...

Escapism UK: Summer 2017 - Manchester

7th of July to the 9th of July

So for the 8th year in succession we meet up for the summer for the usual hijinks and hilarity, this time saw us return to Manchester for the first time since Christmas in 2014, 20 Escapists descended on the home of Britpop and a couple of Football teams that I hear are popular. Stuff began as it usually does on a sunney Friday morning as I drove a carpool with Atsu91, Evrant, MortifiedPengiun and Terratina up the M5 and M6 to Manchester, while razer17 took Trivun and Cavan up with him, while the Andalusa Curse didn't strike anyone too hard, we had to battle a double delay on the M6, razer somehow got himself lost twice and we all somehow wound up at the same service station just south of Manchester, MortifiedPengium turned tratior and went into razers car so she could have some more leg room, and thankfully both cars were in Manchester by 2pm, my group rendezvoused with DragonsAteMyMarbles at his house and took the bus in, because city centre driving is haaaaard D:.

A few of the group were already there such as Binnsyboy, Watson and Aerosteam. Trivun checked us in and the alcohol had already started flowing. There was time for a couple of board games courtesy of Penguins magic bag. We then took in Adventure Golf, where overpriced alcohol and free pina coladas (if you were fast enough) were the norm. In my group, it fell to Trivun to show us who was the less rubbish at golf, when we not getting balls stuck in holes of course! ;D We returned to the hostel for more games, including the ever so hilarious Secret Hitler. Where thankfully we changed history by preventing Zykon The Lich as Hitler from rising to power in Germany (You're welcome Europe!) sadly no assassinations were had, damn laws. We even found a casual Wetherspoons to sit in as well. By that time the late arrivals had turned up, including Andalusa, KiwiShizz and Abyssalin.

Come to Escapism. You'll have a... ball!

Saturday was a slow start, especially for those who had a little too much to drink the night before (hangs head in shame) Luckily we had a gaming store called Fanboy 3 right across the street so not much walking was needed. Penguin wound up getting Mascerade following a rather fun experience of it back in Birmingham last year, while a few of us fell back on spending our money on Magic the Gathering cards. Trivun had led another group off to paintball, making it's return to Escapism after quite a few years away. it proved... rather one sided, with his team running out 4-1 winners, the highlight being Evrant getting the money shot in terms of a paintball to the mouth.

Those that remained after exploring the shops went to Breakout Manchester, where we were going to qualify as spies by escaping from a room filled with brain teasers to make MI6 blush. We were split into two teams, one included myself, Atsu, Binnsy and Penguin, the other was Andalusa, Terratine, Dragons, and Theminimanx, who had decided to leave the confines of The Netherlands to spend time with us nerds for a few days. Despite a strong start our team felt the pressure of a job with flash cards, cool gadgets and sex with beautiful people and while we broke out, we still lost and now play secretary to the others. We all returned to the Hostel for Mascerade, where those upstart peasants kept trying to take the hard earned money of the elite, I kept ending up as the Witch and people generally acted like dicks to each other!

I spy with my little eye...

Afterwards we all sampled some Vietnamese food, and Pho'sure it was really nice! At least most of us thought so. The karaoke group of myself, Dragons, Atsu, Abyssalin, Trivun, Binnsy and Aerosteam wound up there, where we did battle with a dodgy touch screen, songs that mysteriously kept being deleted and we wound up causing a shelf to collapse. Pengiun took another group to go see a movie about some man with Spider powers starring Robert Downey Jr. Wasn't he the Iron Giant once? Otherwise a few more drinks,a Connect 4 competition that I still don't know who won, a bit of Magic and a funny conversation with the guy working reception at the Hostel and it was off to bed, unless you were those that stayed up till 4:30am drinking cider :P by that point Shizz and FrostyCoolSlug had departed for home.

Somehow 6 of us managed to roll out of bed to go visit the local Cat Cafe and a chance to wind down playing with fluffy kitties, while everyone else decided that a late night made it impossible to get up in good time. Atsu spent the entire time losing IQ points as she fussed over the cats, although we all did that to some degree. Then it was off to the Manchester Museum via a 30 minute walk, where we saw a rather small Bee exhibit, including 8 gold plated Bees (and one Wasp!) plus plenty of tiny poisonous frogs, giant crabs and various fossilized or preserved underwater creatures. Following that it was time to say goodbye, many hugs were had and promises to keep in touch.

Not edible, or good looking either

It was a wonderful weekend that went off without a hitch, as well as being great to see loads of familiar faces and friends, and even some new faces from the Escapist who decided to join our merry group. I'd like to thank razer17 and Trivun for getting the weekend organised, and also Andalusa, DragonsAteMyMarbles and MortifiedPengiun for their support with organising in the run up to the event or during the event itself! Finally, big thanks to everyone who could attend as well!

Escapism UK will return on the 1st of December to the 3rd of December for the Christmas event. Look out for an announcement on this at the end of August. To find out more about us join the group, the facebook or follow the twitter and drop the group a message!

This is Revelo, signing off!

Bullshit, you fuckers cheated, there's no way you saw through my poker face.

I think I've caught up with all the sleep I didn't get this weekend. Twice in as many days did I wake up thinking "oh sweet Bahamut why do I do these things to myself".
Old people problems - they'll happen to you.

Other than that, though, it was a spectaculous weekend, bring on Xmas!

Revelo:

Those that remained after exploring the shops went to Breakout Manchester, where we were going to qualify as spies by escaping from a room filled with brain teasers to make MI6 blush. We were split into two teams, one included myself, Atsu, Binnsy and Penguin, the other was Andalusa, Terratine, Dragons, and Theminimanx, who had decided to leave the confines of The Netherlands to spend time with us nerds for a few days. Despite a strong start our team felt the pressure of a job with flash cars, cool gadgets and sex with beautiful people and while we broke out, we still lost and now play secretary to the others.

personal aura of smug intensifies

For almost 5 or 6 years now I've been thinking I should join one of these...
I am just too damn lazy or something to make it happen :(

Guffe:
For almost 5 or 6 years now I've been thinking I should join one of these...
I am just too damn lazy or something to make it happen :(

Just join up to the groups and you'll get the updates and reminders when stuff happens! :)

Thanks everyone who came along and made it a great weekend as always, and thanks to Revelo for not only passing the baton (hopefully successfully) to myself and razer17 but also for the report - as amusing and spot-on as ever! :D

#Scotland2018

Aaw man, I was in Manchester on the 8th for a stag do! The party were all video and tabletop gamers too, this would've given us something to do after the Crystal Maze! :(

Grouchy Imp:
Aaw man, I was in Manchester on the 8th for a stag do! The party were all video and tabletop gamers too, this would've given us something to do after the Crystal Maze! :(

Again, join the group and PM me if you want to join the FB page and you never have to miss an update again! :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here