When will the Comic Book Movie fatigue hit the majority of fans? Or has it already begun/happened?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm curious why you think people who would most frequent these movies would experience fatigue.

Some of us have been reading comics for decades and buy issues of series we like every single week, only occasionally stopping if the story arc gets terrible or they pull some decision that should not be (Hydra Steve Rogers, anyone?.

Plus, that's 4 movies in one year. Assuming you watch all of them, and assuming that we get another 2 or 3, that's at most 14 hours a year dedicated to watching the movies. That's at most a long Netflix binge spread out over a YEAR.

I skipped a couple movies so the fatigue aint too bad.

hypin for black panther and thor ragnarok tho. they seem to be the most genre shaking

I wouldn't say I've got "comic movie fatigue" (Logan and Wonder Woman were two of my favourites from this year) but I am starting to get MCU fatigue. Film Crit Hulk published an article about Civil War which does a great job of summing up my feeling. Namely that they've become so good at creating a "likeable" tone, they forgo drama and brush off lasting consequences. Character development has become shallow because we know the characters have to be present and correct in their most marketable incarnation for Avengers 4 or whatever.

I think it was Doctor Strange that really did it in for me. A lot of people liked that movie, but I just saw it as a weaker 'Iron Man'. The same basic theme and premise with half the effort. They even had the same ending where the hero supposedly sacrifices himself to stop the threat, which is a fairly standard way for these redemption arc narratives to go. But where Iron Man played it straight, Dr Strange played it for a gag ("Dormammu, I've come to bargain"). An inventive gag, but a gag nonetheless. The difference is they were still trying to tell stories during Iron Man, whereas by Dr Strange they were committed to the idea that story doesn't matter because only the Avengers movies are (theoretically, anyway) allowed to have stakes.

Comic book movie fatigue? No. Valerian & Amelie is a comic book movie, but clearly in a different genre than stuff like Logan or Wonder Woman.

"Superhero movie fatigue though? Well, kind of. Thing is, my ability to see movies is limited a lot by circumstance. Last year, I was working at a library about 10 minutes drive from a cinema. Nowadays, I don't have that luxury. So there's only a few movies I'm able to see by myself. If it's a family outing, rest assurred that we're never going to see a superhero or even action movie, because that's not in their realm of interest. And while seeing such films this year has given me gems like Hidden Figures (#3 movie of the year for me), it's also led to me seeing films like A Quiet Passion and Jackie (#3 & #1 worst films of the year).

But, back to the subject. I guess I'm more indifferent than anything, but I feel that of the "big three" superhero universes (which I think is what this thread is really getting at more than anything), they each have their share of problems for me.

-XCU: Well, on one hand, it gave me Logan, which is the #4 movie I've seen this year, and probably my #3 superhero movie if I made such a list. On the other hand, this universe also gave me drek like Deadpool and Apocalypse. I think the XCU is to superhero movies what DreamWorks is to animated movies. They're clearly capable of doing great work, but their output is very uneven, and often flawed, but at least flawed in different ways.

-DCEU: The DCEU is kind of the 'wild child' in this race. I've seen its first three films, and while I like Man of Steel and Suicide Squad, I can't in good faith call either of them "good." BvS is very flawed, but at least flawed in interesting ways. Thing is, while the DCEU movies I've seen haven't been that good, they've at least been interesting, in both their strengths and failures. But even so, I just really don't care what happens beyond Justice League, because it seems like this universe is struggling to stay afloat. Yes, Wonder Woman did great, and is all but confirmed to get a sequel because of it, but the DCEU feels reactionary. Interesting, but reactionary. And again, for me, without a single "good" film yet (haven't seen WW, so that could change).

-MCU: More than anything else, this is the primary source for superhero fatigue for me. And more than anything, I don't get why this damn thing keeps going. I mean, okay, I've never seen a "bad" MCU film, and it's given me three genuinely good ones, but by god, almost every film in this damn universe feels the same. Same tone, same characters, same arcs, same everything. It's got the opposite problem to the DCEU for me - the DCEU is interesting, but flawed. The MCU is solid, but boring. And, look, I'm not going to hate on people loving what they love, but how do people keep going to see this stuff?

-Sonyverse: Is this still a thing? Is the Venom movie actually happening? Well, whatever. It gave me Amazing Spider-Man. Bleh.

Here's the thing. If I had to rank my top 3 superhero movies off the top of my head, they'd probably be The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Logan. The first two aren't part of any cinematic universe, and the third feels self-contained. As things become franchises, they start to blend together for me.

So, concerning what other people have said:

Squilookle:
Comic book movies are fine. It's superhero stories I'm sick to death of.

Basically this.

DaCosta:
(No funeral scenes! Can you believe it?).

Well, yeah. It's an MCU film. We can't have consequences or anything like that.

DaCosta:
My thoughts exactly.

Except that I would add that Homecoming isn't another Spider-Man movie, it's pretty different from the previous ones, mainly on being not nearly as dour (No funeral scenes! Can you believe it?). Sure, they could have achieved that with the usual MCU sarcastic bent, but they kept Peter wide-eyed and optmistic, for which my glad.

I haven't actually gotten around to seeing it so I couldn't really comment on it.

shrekfan246:

I take it you're one of the people who isn't getting tired of comic book superhero films, then.

No I'm not. Though I also haven't been watching everything that comes out (which is an option crazy). I hadn't actually seen BVS or Suicidie Squad until they turned up on my Netflix. I did miss Wonder Woman, I was planning to see it but time slipped away from me.

WolfThomas:
Though I also haven't been watching everything that comes out (which is an option crazy).

Not saying that it isn't an option, but surely you can understand how it's still tiring for some people to constantly be seeing and hearing about things they just don't care that much about as if they're the greatest things happening in the world of cinema?

I mean, it's not like the phenomenon is even exclusive to films, hype burnout happens with bands, games, comics, TV shows, and all sorts of other things. How many threads has this website alone had about how "overrated" Final Fantasy VII is over the years?

shrekfan246:
Not saying that it isn't an option, but surely you can understand how it's still tiring for some people to constantly be seeing and hearing about things they just don't care that much about as if they're the greatest things happening in the world of cinema?

I guess if you care that much about what other people are saying. I mean I just switch off. There's things I enjoy, if other people enjoy other things cool. I enjoy the MCU. And as you say below

I mean, it's not like the phenomenon is even exclusive to films, hype burnout happens with bands, games, comics, TV shows, and all sorts of other things. How many threads has this website alone had about how "overrated" Final Fantasy VII is over the years?

Everyone is doing this about everything. It's not just superhero films. How many oscar award winning films do you watch? And so on and so on. People have strong opinions on movies, videogames, tv, cars, clothing, particular firearms and so forth.

Just like with a lot of people, my fatigue started with Age of Ultron and has continued down from there. At least for the MCU. I was pretty hyped for Logan and wasn't disappointed. As for the MCU, I have seen every one of them opening night since Iron Man 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming was the first one I didn't. And as of writing this, I still haven't seen it. I watched the trailers and just felt absolutely nothing for them. No positive or negative feelings. It's so odd to just stop caring about something over time, but it happens. It started off as a "I can't wait to see them all together!" and now they don't really have a unique buzz to get me excited. They've been teasing Thanos forever, but given that MCU villains come and go in the blink of an eye, I don't find myself too enthralled to finally see him. Eh, we'll see. There's always a chance for some crazy thing to emerge and catch my interest again.

Well, to be honest, I feel we overdid it on Spidey, and I haven't really watched a DC movie in years. Marvel will probably continue to catch my eye, though, sorry.

Bat Vader:
Just curious but what did you dislike about Civil War?

The formula is getting too predictable. Also Bruhl, an actor I really like, seemed lost playing that dumbass of a character. And it's too long. It's still a decent flick, but still just more of the same.

I imagine you would fatigue hard and fast if you watched every genre film that they're releasing, since they're really trying to cash in.

Personally, whilst they have lost their novelty, I still enjoy watching the films, I just do it at my own pace. I watch one when I have a hankering to watch one, not when one is released. The times that those things line up and I end up at the cinema instead of watching at home are pretty nice.

I'm not tired yet of the MCU movies, but that's because I either watch movies for free or use them as an excuse to hang out with friends. I can definitely see that they are getting too formulaic, but the good thing about that is when they inevitably shake things up, whatever tone they decide to use will be instantly fresh in our minds. By the time Tom Holland hangs up his webs I think people will be hungry for dark and edgy superhero movies again.

DCEU movies are also still really exciting, because it's always fun to kick someone when he's down. And all it's shitty decisions and movies make an average movie like Wonder Woman feel like so much more.

The X-men movies... Why do they even make them anymore? I like the individual characters but by God are the X-men dumb. I have never liked their comics and I've only ever enjoyed their movies because of certain performances.

Hawki:

DaCosta:
(No funeral scenes! Can you believe it?).

Well, yeah. It's an MCU film. We can't have consequences or anything like that.

I'm not.

Mostly because I was never hyped for the MCU or its ilk to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I've not saying I hate them. They're like the movie equivalent of a muesli bar. It'll fill your stomach and it'll taste alright, but it's nothing to write home about. It's adequate. It's all it needs to be.

So yeah, I could happily enough watch MCU films for the next five movies in the same way I could happily enough snack on the occasional muesli bar for same.

Oh look, another more or less copy-paste speculative thread about ye olde 'comicbook film fatigue' that's just an excuse for whining.

How many threads and articles have ruminated on this subject over the years? With films like Logan and Wonder Woman (the start of a series of female led superhero narratives, hopefully/finally?) still being created, I hope the trend continues for many years to come. I don't believe we've ever had it so good. I'd rather Joss Whedon was making a Batwoman film as opposed to -girl, but it's still a big budget female superhero film directed by him, which has frankly been a very long time coming.

Marvel Studios need to stick their neck out a bit more after Logan - not to try and ape it, but to be more distinct with individual MCU entries - but the MCU's still something I never thought I'd see as a kid, a teen, or a young adult; faithful interconnected comicbook adaptations centre stage in pop culture, and done by people who genuinely care about the characters and stories (typically boasting superb casts). Nerd culture seems to be particularly ungrateful, perhaps more than ever.

Kingjackl:
I think it was Doctor Strange that really did it in for me. A lot of people liked that movie, but I just saw it as a weaker 'Iron Man'. The same basic theme and premise with half the effort.

Quite. I hated when Iron Man used dimension warping magic to reverse citywide destruction in a narrative ultimately about the rejection of materialism and Western oriented ego.

..oh wait, none of that happened.

Isn't the devil in the details with larger than life characters and narratives? 'Heroic' struggles always tend to tread the same eternally engaging territory, after all. I found a certain death scene in Doctor Strange more profound and affecting than anything in any Iron Man, and his abilities were superbly realised. As I often say, pure spectacle's been hardwired into the medium since the very beginning, and so there will always be worth - and a need - for spectacle. Simply judged on some of its visuals, Doctor Strange was a worthy MCU entry.

(nothing is perfect, of course, and I certainly wanted the film to be even weirder)

But where Iron Man played it straight, Dr Strange played it for a gag ("Dormammu, I've come to bargain"). An inventive gag, but a gag nonetheless.

Erm, a gag's bad since when? Do you just want grimdark? Did Star Lord's dance off jar with you as well, then? I'd have preferred a more somber Doctor Strange, actually, and was initially a little disappointed with the MCU version. But judged on its own merits - and Cumberbatch's performance - it's still pretty damn good, and it's still a heartfelt iteration of a character I never thought would get their own tentpole feature.

The difference is they were still trying to tell stories during Iron Man, whereas by Dr Strange they were committed to the idea that story doesn't matter because only the Avengers movies are (theoretically, anyway) allowed to have stakes.

I'd say Scott Derrickson would heartily disagree with that (as would the writers of even Ant-Man, which is so often derided or dismissed simply for not being an Edgar Wright film).

Darth Rosenberg:
Oh look, another more or less copy-paste speculative thread about ye olde 'comicbook film fatigue' that's just an excuse for whining.

How many threads and articles have ruminated on this subject over the years? With films like Logan and Wonder Woman (the start of a series of female led superhero narratives, hopefully/finally?) still being created, I hope the trend continues for many years to come. I don't believe we've ever had it so good. I'd rather Joss Whedon was making a Batwoman film as opposed to -girl, but it's still a big budget female superhero film directed by him, which has frankly been a very long time coming.

Marvel Studios need to stick their neck out a bit more after Logan - not to try and ape it, but to be more distinct with individual MCU entries - but the MCU's still something I never thought I'd see as a kid, a teen, or a young adult; faithful interconnected comicbook adaptations centre stage in pop culture, and done by people who genuinely care about the characters and stories (typically boasting superb casts). Nerd culture seems to be particularly ungrateful, perhaps more than ever.

Kingjackl:
I think it was Doctor Strange that really did it in for me. A lot of people liked that movie, but I just saw it as a weaker 'Iron Man'. The same basic theme and premise with half the effort.

Quite. I hated when Iron Man used dimension warping magic to reverse citywide destruction in a narrative ultimately about the rejection of materialism and Western oriented ego.

..oh wait, none of that happened.

Isn't the devil in the details with larger than life characters and narratives? 'Heroic' struggles always tend to tread the same eternally engaging territory, after all. I found a certain death scene in Doctor Strange more profound and affecting than anything in any Iron Man, and his abilities were superbly realised. As I often say, pure spectacle's been hardwired into the medium since the very beginning, and so there will always be worth - and a need - for spectacle. Simply judged on some of its visuals, Doctor Strange was a worthy MCU entry.

(nothing is perfect, of course, and I certainly wanted the film to be even weirder)

But where Iron Man played it straight, Dr Strange played it for a gag ("Dormammu, I've come to bargain"). An inventive gag, but a gag nonetheless.

Erm, a gag's bad since when? Do you just want grimdark? Did Star Lord's dance off jar with you as well, then? I'd have preferred a more somber Doctor Strange, actually, and was initially a little disappointed with the MCU version. But judged on its own merits - and Cumberbatch's performance - it's still pretty damn good, and it's still a heartfelt iteration of a character I never thought would get their own tentpole feature.

The difference is they were still trying to tell stories during Iron Man, whereas by Dr Strange they were committed to the idea that story doesn't matter because only the Avengers movies are (theoretically, anyway) allowed to have stakes.

I'd say Scott Derrickson would heartily disagree with that (as would the writers of even Ant-Man, which is so often derided or dismissed simply for not being an Edgar Wright film).

Want to no be so condescending? It's tiring when people do it. Not everyone here goes to every nerd site to see this topic pop up and not everyone come here everyday either.

Either way, thank you for your contribution.

Parasondox:
Want to no be so condescending? It's tiring when people do it. Not everyone here goes to every nerd site to see this topic pop up and not everyone come here everyday either.

Oh c'mon, you've honestly not been aware of the tiresomely repetitive 'when will people get sick of comicbook movies' line over the past few years? It's surely as old as the MCU, at least... Perhaps your take on it is more nuanced (you didn't go into much detail, but it seems so), but frankly the sentiment typically translates as 'why do people like things I don't', ergo it's often disingenuously selfish.

You're pondering about fatigue, yet - apparently - paid or went along to see those four films. Maybe it's not them, it's you... ? (I've only seen Logan of those four, so far, just this week. there is no rush)

And snark aside I actually did answer your question, briefly touching on some of the flaws of the increasingly diverse genre (particularly where the MCU's concerned, despite my affection and respect/admiration for it), before stating I feel nerds and comicbook fans have never had it so good.

If an endless parade of comicbook or/and superhero narratives gives us a Logan - or an Avengers or The Winter Soldier (or a Daredevil and Jessica Jones to go to the small screen. I gather Legion's excellent, too) - every now and then, isn't it worth it? It's not as if everyone's being forced to watch the damn things... and their presence has, clearly, not somehow wiped out all other forms of cinematic [or televisual] expression as some of the snobbier naysayers have been alluding to.

Darth Rosenberg:

Parasondox:

Oh c'mon, you've honestly not been aware of the tiresomely repetitive 'when will people get sick of comicbook movies' line over the past few years? It's surely as old as the MCU, at least... Perhaps your take on it is more nuanced (you didn't go into much detail, but it seems so), but frankly the sentiment typically translates as 'why do people like things I don't', ergo it's often disingenuously selfish.

You're pondering about fatigue, yet - apparently - paid or went along to see those four films. Maybe it's not them, it's you... ? (I've only seen Logan of those four, so far, just this week. there is no rush)

And snark aside I actually did answer your question, briefly touching on some of the flaws of the increasingly diverse genre (particularly where the MCU's concerned, despite my affection and respect/admiration for it), before stating I feel nerds and comicbook fans have never had it so good.

If an endless parade of comicbook or/and superhero narratives gives us a Logan - or an Avengers or The Winter Soldier (or a Daredevil and Jessica Jones to go to the small screen. I gather Legion's excellent, too) - every now and then, isn't it worth it? It's not as if everyone's being forced to watch the damn things... and their presence has, clearly, not somehow wiped out all other forms of cinematic [or televisual] expression as some of the snobbier naysayers have been alluding to.

Nah I've been aware but that was several years ago. You know you can ask the same question again a few years later because peoples taste changes.

Also of course it's me. I did state its'd my opinion by saying, "well that's just me". I also wanted to know other users thoughts too because I wish to hear their thoughts.

I didn't pay individually. I have a monthly cinema pass so unlimited movies for me. I love the Cinema experience minus the price of popcorn.

Just like everyone else here, I appreciate your opinion. Condescending snark or no condescending snark.

This, this right here is the annoying argument that a lot of people use when describing MCU movies, their are no stakes, okay can ANYONE tell me a Superhero movie in which the main focus hero of said movie dies in their first iteration because from what I am seeing unless the Superhero dies during the movie then their are no stakes, no risks, nothing happened.

As for the general public getting burned out, well Spiderman and GOG2 box office taking would suggest the answer to that is no and the chances of it burning out are highly unlikely now that the Infinity War wagon has started to roll. What's more likely to happen is that people will stay invested until the end of Infinity War and then will start to loose interest in what comes after by virtue of the supposed rumour that a fair number of the main stays of the MCU will be hanging up their respective shield, hammer, powered armour after wards.

Anyway these topics are utter arse anyway, they usually descend in to the same old MCU bashing, usually using the same old tired and boring arguments that all revolve around the same arguments and statements, no stakes, formulaic, just setting up the next movie / event, all the same.

I am not fatigued in the slightest. Each new Marvel movie is an immense joy for me that I look forward to each season. Sure, I bitch about this inaccuracy or that, how they changed this character, ruined that, but ultimately, I love them and hope they dont ever stop.

I find the people most "tired" of the Marvel movies dont like them to begin with and just want to ruin my fun. That pisses me off. Dont like it? Dont watch it.

Saelune:
I find the people most "tired" of the Marvel movies dont like them to begin with and just want to ruin my fun. That pisses me off. Dont like it? Dont watch it.

If they weren't making superhero movies, they'd make other kinds of action, adventure and sci-fi movies. So excuse me while I keep complaining.

Ezekiel:

Saelune:

If they weren't making superhero movies, they'd make other kinds of action, adventure and sci-fi movies. So excuse me while I keep complaining.

No, they would make the same generic drivel they have been making for years. Forgive me if we dont get Expendables 4, or Jason Statham as Jason Statham.

How about we stop with The Fast and the Furious?

You complain about one "overdone" thing using something even more generic and tedious as a defense? Yeah ok.

One thing I like about X-Men not being in the MCU? They can do their own thing and not have to link it to a bigger picture. I like the fact we have DC and Vertigo and other Graphic Novels to show on the big and small screen. So you may be bored with MCU, you have the right to complain, just remember other studios are working on alternatives. So much material to play with. Justice League Dark/Dark Justice should be full on horror. Fox may do the same with an X-Men movie but that was a rumour.

Not every CBM will be a Dark Knight or Avengers. Let's play around some more.

My problem isn't that I'm tired of comic book movies, it's that I don't have money to go see them anymore.

I've been done for a while. I just find them boring now.

Between all the comic book movies that all feel the same and then the cartoons that people tell me "are much better than the movies, so if you didn't like the movie just watch the cartoon it's way better" I'm about 10000% done with superhero movies and tv shows for now.

I am personally tired of superhero films, but as long as they do well in China. Hollywood is not ever going to stop making them, as they are the easiest thing to get hassle free by the countries censoring.Just look at a box office listing next time for a superhero film. They make $$million here but over seas in China it will be $$$million, needless to say its not going to stop.

Bat Vader:

McElroy:
Yeah, AoU was boring and Civil War burned me for good. I guess the DC stuff or even Deadpool can keep me on board, but I'm not paying for any MCU release anymore.

Just curious but what did you dislike about Civil War?

If they're anything like me, it was the complete and utter lack of anything resembling character development beyond Black Panther's 5 minute arc of "I need vengeance! But that's not the way of a king".

The icing on the cake was how utterly fucking curbstomped Team Captain should've been against Team Iron Man, but they can't, because we have to pretend the guy who can punch people really hard is equal to the nigh indestructible iron suit that flies and has the same payload as a destroyer.

Everybody and his mother has been saying superhero movies will die any moment now since way back with the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies really set off the whole thing. It's been more than a decade now, I think it's time we can admit that superhero movies have become a genre unto themselves and not just some passing fad that's going to die at any time.

As long as Marvel keeps making decent superhero movies we'll be fine, and all of them thus far whatever their flaws have overall been good.

Parasondox:
I even saw Ant-Man recently and I felt more bored of the MCU.

Thor and Black Panther better change things up.

That was the beginning of the end for me. There was nothing wrong with Antma. Not the way things were wrong with 2nd Thor movie. Yet it was only OK. Nothing I'd go out of my way for or even re-watch.

Doc Strange was a little better. Good conclusion and non stop eye candy.

But I've skipped Wonderwoman and Spiderman. I'll catch them, I'm sure. But odd for a fanboy like me to sit anything out.

I am excited about Thor. As written before: looks like it is taking chances. Amazing trailer. I think it will be the best of the 3 Thor movies.

Bought Logan on Bluray. Not sure that counts as a super hero movie anymore than Legion and Preacher are Super Hero TV shows.

Saelune:

Ezekiel:

Saelune:

No, they would make the same generic drivel they have been making for years. Forgive me if we dont get Expendables 4, or Jason Statham as Jason Statham.

I honestly had more fun with stupid Transporter 2 than I could with most of these superhero movies. Shoot 'Em Up was also stupid, but entertaining. I'd even take the Bourne movies over Universal's Kick-Ass, Hulk and Hellboy, and 300 over WB's DCEU movies.

For sci-fi, you had Children of Men, Moon, District 9 and Avatar. I'd take any of those over the majority of superhero movies.

A few of these movies are still getting sequels, but would the originals have even been made if the superhero genre were so huge back then? Star Wars and Indiana Jones are still massively popular and still getting sequels, but if a young George Lucas came up with their concepts now, the studios would show him the door because they don't have any caped crusaders. A studio can only produce so many movies a year.

You're speaking of a small period in American cinema. There were decades of good action, adventure and sci-fi movies before superheroes became so big.

Phoenixmgs:
I don't think I could ever get tired of superhero/comic book movies. I grew up on superhero cartoons like Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, TMNT. Thus, that subject matter will always interest me. With that said, there's probably like only 5 of the MCU movies that I really really like/love. You're going to get a lot of just OK to bad movies regardless of genre, you don't have to see them all. What always keeps me from getting tired is when a really great movie comes out like this year's Logan or Lego Batman. I also think superhero movies have a higher potential than the action hero movies that were big when I was a kid. I remember when seeing the first X-Men movie in high school and just being relieved that it didn't suck. Actually getting a superhero movie as good as The Dark Knight, Logan, Avengers when I was kid/teenager was unfathomable. I wouldn't mind seeing "the supply" of superhero movies dropping off with less emphasis on the universes.

^ This.

I grew up with this kinda content as a kid, I can't imagine I'll ever get sick of it.

Although from the onset, I haven't liked the Marvel movies all that much, except for Hulk... because I am an adult now, I want to watch superhero shows with a bit of an edge.

Ezekiel:

Saelune:

Ezekiel:

I honestly had more fun with stupid Transporter 2 than I could with most of these superhero movies. Shoot 'Em Up was also stupid, but entertaining. I'd even take the Bourne movies over Universal's Kick-Ass, Hulk and Hellboy, and 300 over WB's DCEU movies.

For sci-fi, you had Children of Men, Moon, District 9 and Avatar. I'd take any of those over the majority of superhero movies.

A few of these movies are still getting sequels, but would the originals have even been made if the superhero genre were so huge back then? Star Wars and Indiana Jones are still massively popular and still getting sequels, but if a young George Lucas came up with their concepts now, the studios would show him the door because they don't have any caped crusaders. A studio can only produce so many movies a year.

You're speaking of a small period in American cinema. There were decades of good action, adventure and sci-fi movies before superheroes became so big.

"If and then". People need to get over their Marvel hating.

Fast and the Furious is probably more damning for action movies than any Marvel movie.

Ezekiel:
Star Wars and Indiana Jones are still massively popular and still getting sequels,

Indie's getting a sequel, true, but "massively popular?" Indiana Jones seems to be pretty tepid in the cultural zeitgeist right now. I mean, sure, everyone and their mother knows who Indie is, but I've never got the sense of it being one of the pillars of popular culture so to speak. Certainly not on the level of Star Wars.

I've always been picky about which superhero movies I see on the big screen. The first Marvel movie on the big screen I saw Cap 2 and that only becuase it seemed linked Agents of Shield. After AoU, I became picky about what I saw. Skipped Antman. Probs going to skip Spider-Man and Black Panther. Thor may be interesting but I'm waiting for reviews.

So I have spent $20 on each and thus I feel I got my money's worth and am not fatigued

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here