Poll: Doctor Who - Your favourite "new" Doctor

Ever since its revival in 2005, Doctor Who has gone from strength to strength, ushering in whole new generations to take part in and love the time-travelling escapades of the title character. But above all else, the most praise has always gone to the actors playing the Time Lord himself. Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi are all fantastic (pardon the reference) actors who deserve every accolade they've gotten from this show. But, which one, if possible, deserves the title of "best" Doctor? Which actor and incarnation of this character, in your view, truly stands above the rest?

You may have forgotten John Hurt's War Doctor.

I think Eccleston is my favorite overall. I really like Tennant and Capaldi as well. I think Matt Smith was just too similar to Tennant to standout so-to-speak and Smith also had by far the weakest writing, his last season was just so bad.

Parasondox:

This.

But, on the subject, for me, it goes 10>9>12>11. In fairness, I'm not sure how I could really fit the War Doctor in, because like the Eighth Doctor, there's so little actual screentime. But, if I really had to go out on a limb, I'd say the order would then go 10>9>12>War>11.

Yeah, I was never much of a Matt Smith fan.

Tennant remains my favorite Doctor.

Hunt doesnt really rank for me at all due to sheer lack of relative characterization and screentime.

Eccleston. He was the first Doctor I watched, he had the best stories (I really hate this recent "The Doctor is the most important person in the universe" bullshit) and the best outfit. I know Tennant is a fan favourite, but he's a bit too childish and silly for me (also those fucking sneakers are ridiculous).

I may get hate for this, but to be honest, I can't stand the 10th Doctor. David Tennant's a great actor, but I find his Doctor incredibly annoying and a bit too melodramatic.

Tennant by a large margin.

Once Smith became the Doctor, the show went into decline. Which Capaldi only made worse imo.

I love Capaldi. It took a while before he was given anything really good to work with (though there was some fun to be had with season 8's "Doctor House") but I liked how understated and raw his acting in the heavier scenes was. The war speech in the Zygon two-parter was the feather in the cap for me.

Add another one to Tennant. I just found him the most enjoyable to watch. Christopher Eccleston could probably have trumped him but he didn't hang around long enough to do so. Matt Smith had some difficulty fitting into the role but he did grow into it. However, he had some bad luck with his writing and companions so while he was often able to pull off good performances he was hamstrung by the script or his support. Capaldi meanwhile was... he tried. The scripts Capaldi got were atrocious and since he spent most of his screen time with Clara, who I personally feel was a terribly written character attempting to ape previously popular companions without understanding why they were popular, mean that I rarely found his stories enjoyable. I've had no interest in the current series as my patience had been fully drained by the last season and the first episode failed to make me excited.

Eccleston. Tennant's portrayal was terrible, Smith was basically copying him, and Capaldi was only inconsistently good.

Honestly can't pick. Too many highs and lows for each one

Tennant-Eccleston-Smith-Capaldi.

I think Ecceston would be higher if he was around longer and Smith could have been good if there was a decent writer, there were a couple of episodes where Smith's Doctor was good but so many bad episodes overshadowed it. Same I think with Capaldi, but to a lesser extent.

Hawki:

Parasondox:

This.

But, on the subject, for me, it goes 10>9>12>11. In fairness, I'm not sure how I could really fit the War Doctor in, because like the Eighth Doctor, there's so little actual screentime. But, if I really had to go out on a limb, I'd say the order would then go 10>9>12>War>11.

You already won the thread. Matt Smith was aggravating. Too familiar with his travel companions, hugging and kissing them often. Too cute. One thing that was not his fault: the weeping angels became infinitely less frightening during his run. 10>9>12>War>11 I do like 12 a lot, though that last episode had him using his sonic screw driver like a phaser. Part of the Doc's charm is that he is largly unarmed. But let him start talking, and you're done.

Gorfias:

Hawki:

Parasondox:

This.

You already won the thread. Matt Smith was aggravating. Too familiar with his travel companions, hugging and kissing them often. Too cute. One thing that was not his fault: the weeping angels became infinitely less frightening during his run. 10>9>12>War>11 I do like 12 a lot, though that last episode had him using his sonic screw driver like a phaser. Part of the Doc's charm is that he is largly unarmed. But let him start talking, and you're done.

What about the 3rd Doctor he beat the shit outa people

OT: For me its 9>12>10>War>11

Id rate matt smith as my least like doctor of all the doctors to.

Eccleston, such a shame we only got one season of him. Tennant was solid if annoying sometimes, Smith felt like I would've liked him more had his run not been so god-awfully written, and I fell off watching New Who by the time Capaldi showed up.

I also liked John Hurt's War Doctor a lot, but that was a movie-only thing so doesn't really count.

So, pretty much 9>10>11 with 12 as an N/A.

Tennant, in that if I squint he sorta seems like the Doctor, rather than some annoying tosser I want to slap.

I like Tennant over Eccleston.

I can't tell whether Tennant and Eccleston were simply better at playing the Doctor than Smith or Capaldi, or they simply had better writing. Though, it can't be ignored that when Moffat took over as showrunner, the quality took a nose dive and has yet to recover.

There must be something wrong with me. I think 11 is my favorite, and his first season is my favorite single season of Dr. Who.

Now, I know that the show has steadily declined since then, and that Moffat has turned out to be a terrible show runner. But he had one great story to tell, that being the story of the 11th Doctor and River Song. Once that had run its course he had nothing worth while to put on tv.

Tenant was great but he had so many lame or goofy episodes, and Russel Davies has a bad habit of stretching ideas too far, turning a story that would fill half an hour into a full episode, and a one-episode idea into a two-parter.

I do love Peter Capaldi and he has honestly done his damndest to make the show watchable, but Clara was a wretched companion and, with a few exceptions, the scripts have been terrible, somehow being both too rushed and really boring.

And Eccleston always got the crap end of the stick. He was terrific but one season of terrific can't stack up against three seasons, even of up and down quality.

I really liked Capaldi but fuck me Clara dragged the show down. Bleh.

Post Clara capaldi isbmy favorite.

The season with Bill got me back into Who after the horrible end of Smith and awkward start of capaldi

Veldie:
What about the 3rd Doctor he beat the shit outa people

I know very little about the old series but this sounds interesting. I did watch a retrospective about the doctors and one was accused of actually assaulting his companion. It's been a bumpy ride.

I do think, after Capaldi, we'll be watching the "1st" doctor for a while. He will be in the Xmas special this year.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here