Seventh Doctor
4.3% (1)
4.3% (1)
Eighth Doctor
17.4% (4)
17.4% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Doctor Who: Best "Old" Doctor

To complement the poll of the best Doctor of "NuWho," I've created a poll for the best Doctor of the series's original run. Well, that, and the movie.

I'll be honest, I'm much more of a fan of "NuWho" than "OldWho," and that's not from lack of trying. Yeah, every so often I get an episode like "The Caves of Androzani," but more often than not the episodes are just...'there,' if you catch my drift. Hokey effects, hokey writing, and often a reliance on background music that just keeps playing. Also, I've seen almost every episode of NuWho, while the episodes of the original run are far more eccentric in what I've seen, not to mention that like the War Doctor, Eight suffers from a lack of televised appearances. But, if I had to rank the Doctors here, I'd go:

8) First Doctor
7) Sixth Doctor
6) Eighth Doctor
5) Seventh Doctor
4) Second Doctor
3) Third Doctor
2) Fourth Doctor
1) Fifth Doctor

So, agree, disagree, discuss.

I predict 4th comfortably winning, but there's no easy answer for me.

The first one is very clearly the best one at being old.

I think Tom Baker is 'the' Doctor for many folks, given his time on the show and how good much of this run was.
-Sarah Jane alone would bump him up.

However I think the 7th Doctor is REALLY underrated.
The stories could be dark as fuck, and he felt more like a 'demented Willy Wonka' at times, which was fun.

Tanis:
I think Tom Baker is 'the' Doctor for many folks, given his time on the show and how good much of this run was.

The stories could be dark as fuck, and he felt more like a 'demented Willy Wonka' at times, which was fun.

Oh definitely. Remembrance of the Daleks, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, The Curse of Fenric and heck, unlike most people, I really love Battlefield.

4th is my personal favorite incarnation and really love that.

8th is a great Doctor as well that sadly wish he got an ongoing series in TV. I even say this especially as a fan of his Big Finish audio stories which are really good.

Tanis:

Totally agree. McCoy's first season wasn't so good but oh boy was the second an improvement

I'm personally a fan of Tom Baker (duh), William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton

People who think they dislike Five, Six, Seven, or Eight need to go on to Spotify right now, and listen to stories 1 to 50 of the Big Finish Main Range. That should cure what ails you.

Are we talking 'best' or favorite? Because if it's best, it HAS to be Tom Baker, no question. But for favorite, I'm also in the McCoy camp. I just love the chessmaster style.

And someone else has also brought up the Big Finish Audio Dramas. Yeah, if you feel the effects and plots are Hokey OP, these will give you something a bit more 'modern' but still retain the classic Doctors. (And Colin Baker is amazing in the audios. Shocked me when I first got into them)

Third was the first Doctor I knew, so he remains my favourite

Agent of Fate:
Are we talking 'best' or favorite? Because if it's best, it HAS to be Tom Baker, no question. But for favorite, I'm also in the McCoy camp. I just love the chessmaster style.

And someone else has also brought up the Big Finish Audio Dramas. Yeah, if you feel the effects and plots are Hokey OP, these will give you something a bit more 'modern' but still retain the classic Doctors. (And Colin Baker is amazing in the audios. Shocked me when I first got into them)

Oh absolutely. 6th was my least favorite of the TV Doctors, but when I got into his Big Finish stuff, damn. Those made me love the character.

Seriously The Marian Conspiracy, Jubilee, The Holy Terror, The One Doctor, Doctor Who and the Pirates, Davros, The Fourth Wall, all of the 6th/Charley Pollard ones.

Tom Baker was objectively the best Doctor. He had the scarf and Sarah Jane. Other Doctor's were good, but he was the best and my favorite.

"Affirmative" See, even K-9 agrees and we all know K-9's judgement is impeccable.

Eighth Doctor.

Yeah, I said it!

Also I'm taking this to mean 'favourite' and not 'objective best' because in my mind there is no objectively best Doctor.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here