I want to live in a world without cars

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No cars = Everything closer together. Cities are more village-like. No streets and parking lots wasting HUGE spaces. Practically anything you would need is within walking distance. No noise 24/7. No crosswalks. Clean air.

Listen to this lady who's lived in the wilderness for seventy years talk about smog.

Begins at 20 minutes: https://youtu.be/tt2AYafET68?t=20m23s

My society would have only public transports, making the streets thinner and less numerous. Taxis would only be available for situations in which they're absolutely necessary.

I don't wanna live in a world without cars, but I don't DRIVE them because I won't get to do all the things I'd WANT to do in them!

Exactly! When my dad has a stroke, I wanna know the doctor is within walking distance! So he can walk over, and then we can all walk to the hospital!
And while we're at it, I wanna live within walking distance of all Amazon warehouses, which of course are within walking distance of Chinese slave factories!
And while we're at it, I think we all want to live within walking distance of the local prison, coal factory, slaughter house, or the plate of David Lee Roth!

Without cars, sure. Without some super efficient transportation system to replace it, no thanks.

Without cars, what would it be then? The good ol' horse drawn carriages? That s sound like a lovely idea up to the point where you want to call an ambulance.

Our whole infrastructure is built around cars and I see why, in some ways, it's a compelling idea to get rid of them but if we do we better have something to replace them with. Now, limiting the use of cars for private citizens might be an idea but as of now our infrastructure couldn't handle that either. As much as those public transportation hippies like to talk about the benefits of taking the bus or the train, try living in a rural area for a while and then tell me again that it's a viable alternative. I've lived my entire live in Middle of Nowhere, Lower Bavaria and if I had to use the bus whenever I wanted to get somewhere farther away than the local supermarket I'd be going insane.

Let's just hope that we live to see the day when electric cars replace the regular kind. And Saudi Arabia goes right to hell.

People in the middle of nowhere can have permits, since they're not polluting the air with congested CO2, creating so much noise pollution and using up big parking lots. You can also make cities smaller by making lawns smaller. People don't need huge plots of grass. As for ambulances, well, the pedestrian streets would be just wide enough for them to drive through. People would be required to step aside when they hear the siren, just like drivers. If they don't, they get a ticket.

I agree, cars are shit ... motorcycles on the otherhand. I'd probably go mad if I didn't have machines to work on. Something about having a precision piece of industrial design, weighted perfectly, flesh and machine working in tandem on a level of intimacy with the natural world. Where with a slight shift of weight leads to immediate, felt responsiveness in handling.

Cars on the otherhand... meh, you're sitting in a box. Sure it's a comfortable box but it's still a box. You can pretend like it's fun pulling into a corner .... but frankly is boring next to a motorbike you have to bring closer to the bitumen.

No cars means everything HAS to be closer together. Which means that you can say byebye to nature. There are so many humans these days that even towns would have to start building flats, or maybe even skyscrapers. And there would be no room for any nature any more within town/city limits.

Some other points:
-You do realise that a TON of transport is done through trucks right? Roads would still be needed or you'd get shortages of everything everywhere.
-I don't want to use a bicycle to get to family in other cities. Sure, there's public transport but with the sheer number of people using it, it would be even more cramped and less on time than it is now.
-Parking lots would have to make way for bicycle lots. As instead of 1 car for every X people on average, you'd have at LEAST one bike for every single person out there.
-What about times when it rains a lot? I doubt most people like cycling/walking through the rain. Or waiting on a bus in the rain. Not to mention storms or freezing cold. (plus cycling is more dangerous when there's snow/ice everywhere.)

I would personally hate any kind of travel in a world like that. I would make sure to stay at home as much as possible. So no thanks. I do wish more funding went to electric or at least hybrid cars to reduce the noise and smog. But that's about it.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I agree, cars are shit ... motorcycles on the otherhand. I'd probably go mad if I didn't have machines to work on. Something about having a precision piece of industrial design, weighted perfectly, flesh and machine working in tandem on a level of intimacy with the natural world. Where with a slight shift of weight leads to immediate, felt responsiveness in handling.

I don't own a car. Instead I own a Honda Shadow VT1100. And I've never regretted that decision. Sure it's great that friends and family do have cars when I need to move a lot of stuff, but for general getting from point A to B it's great. :)

sanquin:

I don't own a car. Instead I own a Honda Shadow VT1100. And I've never regretted that decision. Sure it's great that friends and family do have cars when I need to move a lot of stuff, but for general getting from point A to B it's great. :)

Barring parts, motorcycles are also a hell of a lot cheaper and you'll never go spare looking for parking or get stuck too much in traffic (depending on how wide lanes are where you live). Moving stuff is difficult, but when I'm just moving myself I'll still pick the bike even when it's wet. Plus I don't mind riding in the rain. It's kind of therapeutic feeling wet and hitting 120KM+ wind chill. Clears your head and helps you focus on the moment.

Mind you there's moments when you realize it's dumbto pit yourself against the elements in certain situations, but you do it anyways. I live in Australia and it is a majestic country to take a bike around ... good roads, majestic scenery ... but there's moments like duststorms just off Coolgardie I just knew I was pushing my luck pressing on but did it anyways.

But OT: Frankly I couldn't bring myself to be vehicle-less. And I live in the middle of Sydney. I take buses someplaces simply because it's more convenient ...or I just walk. I mean I live about a kilometer away from Town Hall. I'd probably spend more time getting my gear on, warming up the bike, struggling to get it to a motorcycle bay, securing my gear, than it would take me to just walk someplace I want to go like the QVB. But when I'm travelling out of town I'll use the bike ... also if I'm going to someplace like Melbourne I'll probably ride there rather than taking a plane.

Because 45 minutes pre-board, buying a train ticket, waiting for late boarders, flying, waiting for luggage, waiting for vehicle rental/another bloody train ticket ... no thanks. I'd rather spend the 8 hours on a motorbike.

I already live in a small country village, the points you raise might seem like a utopia to you but would all be reversed for people like me.

I much rather be surrounded by green and pleasant land than everyday conveniences on my door step.

I have a phobia of cars and literally nosebleed every time I take the drivers seat, but at the same time I do recognise that cars are important...it would be good, however, if we could have some sort of restrictions on their number, because all drivers are dicks by default and street racers are waking me up every summer night.

Ezekiel:
Taxis would only be available for situations in which they're absolutely necessary.

Oh so what youre saying is you want to live in a world without private transportation.

Yeah me too, that movie sucked so hard! They even made two sequels.

That's great for you if you live in walking distance of what you need.

For those us in the boonies, not so good. I'll keep my automobiles, thank you.

I think people should be encouraged to work from home more and only drive small and eco-friendly cars(most people drive alone or with just one passenger anyway). Really, who wants to waste hours of their time in traffic every day? Building a city like a village actually means you can't accomodate the amount of people you didn't calculate for. This is a huge issue with European cities. They were built for an amount of people and traffic that is a fraction of what it is now. In the U.S. cities seems to be made more around the roads(instead of the other way around) which I think reduces the pressure(simply for having way more open space). Cities built like villages run a high risk of collapsing under their own weight. City centers should have more hop on/off buses but other than that public transport really sucks. So yeah, I would prefer a more efficient use of space(not everything concentrated on one square milimeter), tiny cars and tax incentives for employers if they let their employees work at home.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Motorcycles are scary. One small mistake and you're a clump of red meat. I agree driving is potentially dangerous as well but I still feel safer in that little box. :p

A world without cars? That's a terrible idea. Can you think of an even worse idea, that will not only prove to be expensive but also damage the environment?

Ezekiel:
You can also make cities smaller by making lawns smaller. People don't need huge plots of grass.

Thanks, I knew you had it in you.

Maybe this is news to some people, but there's a think called "Rain". It's like when the sky gets sad and starts to cry.
And, all the water has to go somewhere.

So, if your genius plan is to get rid of green space, such as lawns. That means you have that much more paved area. You have that much more stormwater run off. You have that much more water in your sewer systems that has to be treated at your expense. You have that much more flooding.

madwarper:
A world without cars? That's a terrible idea. Can you think of an even worse idea, that will not only prove to be expensive but also damage the environment?

Ezekiel:
You can also make cities smaller by making lawns smaller. People don't need huge plots of grass.

Maybe this is news to some people, but there's a think called "Rain". It's like when the sky gets sad and starts to cry.

So, if your genius plan is to get rid of green space, such as lawns. That means you have that much more paved area. You have that much more stormwater run off. You have that much more water in your sewer systems that has to be treated at your expense. You have that much more flooding.

It's also kinda funny because it doesn't consider that many proper cities these days already have vast amounts of lands that... don't have much in the way of lawns in the first place.

I was born and raised in a state that basically is OP's utopia (Vermont), where you can literally drive from one end of the state to the other in about five hours and if you live in the Chittenden County area you can walk between four different towns in the space of about three, and you know, it's still just not cost-effective in the long run to not have actual transportation. Especially because when the infrastructure of a place is that rural... wait for it... public transportation tends to really suck. Like, really suck. Like, "I can't do anything today because the bus just isn't coming by my place today" levels of suck. And that ain't something that would change just through sheer force of will.

EDIT: Plus, the amount of variety in the job market would shrivel up to practically nothing and everyone would have to do tons of menial labor for minimal reward. Contrary to what certain groups on the internet apparently believe, the quality of life wasn't actually so much better back in the good ole' days when everyone spent twenty hours a day down in the coal mines or slaving under the summer sun (yes, I'm exaggerating slightly). Media as a whole would be severely diminished; films, television, music, and video games would all be fringe entertainment at best, and communities would be incredibly insular. I think the US is already insular enough, I shudder to think of how it could become even more so.

And it doesn't consider population. Like, there's just so much that wouldn't be sustainable under this world model, and we have historic evidence of it not being the ideal and people actively striving to move away from that sort of civilization.

cars and its sequels were pixars worst movies so I agree....wait...

Rise up comarades! We have been opressed by the car-wielding class for too long! It is time for us to seize the means of transportation! It has been too long that car-wielding classes have been supported, at the expense of those that many have labelled as 'others'. But no more! With enough pressure, we can email the devs to send out balance patches, so that the likes of jet-wielding and portal-wielding classes can find use!

More OT: I honestly have no strong opinion on the matter, and would rather leave such decisions to those properly trained and educated to make them.

Unless you have some sort of magical replacement vehicle for the rest of us to use, I'm good still using my car. I live about a fifteen minute drive(so about 6.5 miles) away from where I currently work with several very large hills between me and said work place. Biking would be hard enough under normal circumstances and even worse in any kind of extreme weather(like how we've been having a heat wave for the last two weeks or so) and you can forget walking, and that's just me. There are people who have to drive upwards of over an hour to get to work every day through all kinds of terrain. By simply getting rid of cars you easily eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs just in the realms of building and maintaining them and then cause even more to lose their jobs because they can no longer even get to their jobs in some for of timely manner, if at all. Sure you're still allowing public transport like buses, but you'd still need to drastically increase the number of those to even try and meet the demand from people needing transport, and even then you can't guarantee that said public transports will always be able to get you where you close enough to where you need to go. As others have said, you strait up can't just get rim of cars in our current society and expect it to work how you want it to.

Err you do know land transport existed before cars right aka horse carriage.

Sure I don't liked cars myself perticular when it became a thing that you GOT to drive but hey, long journey time is a bitch or is train is still ok?

madwarper:

Ezekiel:

That... makes no sense. The cost for runoff would actually be less per household, since you pack a lot more houses in smaller spaces. People here are also wasting a ton of money just keeping their lawns green in the summer, so they have little reason to complain.

I would also build more apartment buildings. They're a better use of land. You can even build multilevel suites.

Ezekiel:
The cost for runoff would actually be less per household, since you pack a lot more houses in smaller spaces.

It's not a matter of how much it costs per household, it's a matter of the ratio of green space to not.
It's how much the ground is open to absorbing the stormwater as it comes down, and thus alleviating the amount of runoff.

If you want to live in a community like the one in your first image, then that's on you. But, it is BAD for the environment, regardless of whether or not it makes sense to you. It's just one of those truths, that aren't convenient.

People here are also wasting a ton of money just keeping their lawns green in the summer,

I can't help but notice that you never said where "here" is. But, if they have to constantly watering their lawn, they should switch to a different type of grass that better suits their climate, or simply not use grass at all. There are plenty of alternatives.

I wouldn't say I would want a world without cars, but I certainly wish they would be used less.

There are too many instances of cars being driven by just a single person. Which is a huge waste of resources.

In an ideal world:

There would be a lot more carpooling. Perhaps an uber-like app where people can get together to drive to similar destinations.

More motorcycles/scooters being used. Either that, or just use a bike, you lazy asshole.

Bigger emphasis on public transport.

Perhaps this just in the UK, but a lot of the roads would be efficient if roadside parking was removed. Which would significantly reduce car usage and speed up the lanes.

madwarper:

Your city treats it's stormwater runoff? That's seems kind of like a waste of money. Here we have a separate system for stormwater than sewage. The sewage is treated, but the stormwater is just dumped into the river because it's just rainwater.

But without cars and trucks everybody has to live within walking distance of the iron mine used to build all those apartments. And somehow, at the same time, right next to the natural gas well or solar field or nuke plant. And then within walking distance of the waste from all that. Not gonna be very quiet. There is a reason we were happy to spread ourselves out.

Also it would all mean I can't drive or watch racing and I simply can't have that. Obviously people have different tastes but I just love driving. Would trade that ability for anything.

The thought of having everything so jam packed together doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

No thanks. I like my car, I like the freedom it brings to my life, and living in a world without one does not sound appealing to me at all.

Then I hope you plan to make every area equally viable in terms of jobs, commutable distance without a car is hellish.

Canadamus Prime:
The thought of having everything so jam packed together doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

Then build more apartment buildings. I've lived in apartments my whole life. I don't see the big deal. Some suites even have multiple floors.

You can also plant more trees and create more parks when you don't have to accommodate cars everywhere.

Drathnoxis:

madwarper:

Your city treats it's stormwater runoff? That's seems kind of like a waste of money. Here we have a separate system for stormwater than sewage. The sewage is treated, but the stormwater is just dumped into the river because it's just rainwater.

I think that's how it's done almost everywhere. Why would you treat rainwater?

Sounds like a terrible idea. There are situations where they're just the most convenient thing.

On the other hand I think there should be a larger emphasis on public transportation making cars less necessary, not just outright getting rid of them

I want to live in a world where Christina Hendricks wakes me up with milk and cookies every morning, you don't see me making a thread about it.

Ezekiel:

Canadamus Prime:

Then build more apartment buildings. I've lived in apartments my whole life. I don't see the big deal. Some suites even have multiple floors.

You can also plant more trees and create more parks when you don't have to accommodate cars everywhere.

That only compounds my problem. Also what you suggest doesn't leave much room for parks.

Drathnoxis:
The sewage is treated, but the stormwater is just dumped into the river because it's just rainwater.

Ezekiel:
I think that's how it's done almost everywhere. Why would you treat rainwater?

The two of you are wrong. It's rainwater plus all the pollution you have on the ground.

Stormwater Pollution Facts
Stormwater innovations mean cities don't just flush rainwater down the drain

madwarper:

The two of you are wrong. It's rainwater plus all the pollution you have on the ground.

Stormwater Pollution Facts
Stormwater innovations mean cities don?t just flush rainwater down the drain

Your links don't say how commonplace stormwater treatment is or to what extent it's treated, I've seen the storm sewer outlets here and they don't go to the treatment plant, they just dump into the river. Obviously I know that whatever's on the road when it rains is going down the drain too, which is why you shouldn't wash your car on the street, but I think the concentrations are still low enough that most places aren't wasting their money treating it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here