Poll: The Master of all Masters! (Yeah, another Doctor Who topic.)

Since we've got up topics about the Doctor - new and old - in two threads, and because I'm evil, I open up conversation about the renegade timelord known as The Master, new and old.

I am the Master, and you will obey me.

They are known thus...

Original Master (Roger Delgado)
Nearly Dead Master (from The Deadly Assassin - Peter Pratt, The Keeper of Traken - Geoffrey Beevers)
Regenerated Master (Anthony Ainley)
TV-Movie Master (Eric Roberts)
Parody Master (Jonathan Pryce)
Saxon Master (John Simm)
Missy Master (Michelle Gomez)

Right, there you are. Who's your best? Discuss.

I think Missy was really fantastic, the best of the current lot.
-Also, did you forgot the 'old Master' that was just before John Simm?

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for 'baddies trying to be good', but, yeah..

I think Roger Delgado is 'the' Master to me, he just did such a damn fine job at it.
Maybe not 'the best', but nostalgia beacons me.

FalloutJack:
and because I'm evil,

Oh so THAT's why you have an Enclave trooper as an avatar.

But on the subject, I'd rank them as such:

7) TV-Movie Master (bleh)
6) Nearly Dead Master (I know I've seen the episodes he's in, but I barely remember him - I always equated him with the Original Master)
5) Regenerated Master (okay, but felt like a Delgado knockoff)
4) Yana Master (you forgot him)
3) Missy Master (great character, but I really don't like the idea of gender flipping Time Lords. I'd much rather Missy have been her own character)
2) Original Master (can't beat the original...)
1) Saxon Master (...unless you're John Simm, who admittedly has the advantage of being my first Master bar Yana)

I'm surprised Missy is getting support. Because I never felt she was the Master. She felt more like River Song pretending to be the Master.

But then, I am sorta more a fan of Classic Who than NuWho, so I guess I have to support the origonal.

Hawki:

FalloutJack:
and because I'm evil,

Oh so THAT's why you have an Enclave trooper as an avatar.

This is about that cyberzombie thing, isn't it?

There was no cyberzombie thing. Number One is above reproach.

Tanis:

-Also, did you forgot the 'old Master' that was just before John Simm?

But to answer you both...

Do not question my judgement.

No, I didn't forget him. I excluded him because he didn't know who he was, and then he had only a few moments of being The Master before regenerating. Also, not enough votey slots.

Agent of Fate:
I'm surprised Missy is getting support. Because I never felt she was the Master. She felt more like River Song pretending to be the Master.

But then, I am sorta more a fan of Classic Who than NuWho, so I guess I have to support the original.

I am, admittedly, undecided on my best. If you had to ask me favorite classic Doctor, that's easy. It's Baker. But for the Master or even the newer Doctors? That's not easy at all. When I find enough of an appeal, it's hard to play favorites.

Love the Master. Fear the Master. Believe in the Master. Vote Saxon.

FalloutJack:

No, I didn't forget him. I excluded him because he didn't know who he was, and then he had only a few moments of being The Master before regenerating. Also, not enough votey slots.

Shame. TBH, I'd have loved to see more of him. Derek Jacobi looked like he really enjoyed his 30 seconds of being the Master.

Agent of Fate:

FalloutJack:

Shame. TBH, I'd have loved to see more of him. Derek Jacobi looked like he really enjoyed his 30 seconds of being the Master.

Almost certainly, but I couldn't give it to him unless he'd been only playing as Professor Yana as a cunning disguise, perfectly aware of his fooling the Doctor and everyone else at the end of time.

FalloutJack:

Almost certainly, but I couldn't give it to him unless he'd been only playing as Professor Yana as a cunning disguise, perfectly aware of his fooling the Doctor and everyone else at the end of time.

That would have been far more in character for the Master than what they went with. Not that it was bad, but it would have been a nice shoutout to the old show with 'Oh my dear Doctor....'

I really disliked the John Simm Master for most of his time on screen, it felt like he was trying too hard to be zany and wacky. He never felt like the Master.

Derek Jacobi gave more menace with his "I am the Master" line than Simm did during his entire time in the role.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here