Designing a Magical Girl

Hey guys, a question: how would you design a magical girl, based on your region/state/oblast/prefecture/etc? What would she wear? What would be her powers? What would be her rivals?

P.S For purposes of this forum, Escapist can also be considered a State!

Odd question. My idea would be some sort of old crone. Witchcraft is best craft.

I'm Israeli, so probably something like this? (with a different uniform and other guns)

My region? Central Texas... So:

Powers:

-Beer manipulation/tolerance.
-Tax evasion.
-Able to summon tornados, hail, lightning, wind, heatwaves, but not control it.
-Barbeque

Personality: Stubborn and independant, but not really hot blooded. Libertarian. Sometimes rides a horse, mostly drives a giant pick-up. While not quite a power, makes dang good tacos.

Rivals: Oklahoma.

Makes me think of this:

brucethemoose:

Did you prefer early Luanne, who knew how to fix trucks, seemed smart and didn't take shit from anybody (especially Cotton), or later Luanne, who cried about anything and wasn't too bright?

I'm from the old Norse Viking countries so I'm thinking some sort of Disir, mainly Valkyries.
I could also go with Elves, Dwarfs (Imagine a Magical Dwarf Girl!!), Skogsr? (forest Nymph) or maybe a v?ttr.

Vendor-Lazarus:
I'm from the old Norse Viking countries so I'm thinking some sort of Disir, mainly Valkyries.
I could also go with Elves, Dwarfs (Imagine a Magical Dwarf Girl!!), Skogsr? (forest Nymph) or maybe a v?ttr.

Valkyrie magical girls are pretty common. Are we talking proper bearded dwarf girls or the "technically legal" variety?

Much as I think the best bard would be a trope-breaking rock-and-roll artist, a break from the standard seems in order.

Scotland's an easy one. Just google image search "Scottish dancer" to get the outfit, and her weapon will be bagpipes that can double as a firearm.

Her rival will be literally every other magical girl.

inu-kun:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Valkyrie magical girls are pretty common. Are we talking proper bearded dwarf girls or the "technically legal" variety?

I couldn't find all that many Magical Girl Valkyries despite looking through TV Tropes.
This Valkyrie would be more true to ancient forms than the Japanized version.
I do enjoy the fact that Japan loves Norse Mythology. Awesome.

Regarding the Magical Girl Dwarf, I'm also going to go with the more elder incarnation and have her be short, stout, thicc and gloriously bearded.
Not that I wouldn't mind the other kind either.. ,)

Ezekiel:

brucethemoose:

Did you prefer early Luanne, who knew how to fix trucks, seemed smart and didn't take shit from anybody (especially Cotton), or later Luanne, who cried about anything and wasn't too bright?

Early, definitely.

I think I need to rewatch KOTH. I never saw them in order (so I didn't get a good sense of progression), plus it's literally a documentary of my home.

Well, they need wings and a horn and to have been a normal unicorn at first.

The escapist would be an old, imaciated corpse begging for water that will never come.

America? I don't, Wonder Woman probably.

I live a considerable amount of miles outside of Philadelphia, so... a Liberty-themed outfit?

OK, I live in Norway.

She would wear a custom, miniskirt version of some traditional 'bunad' (Norwegian festive garb, worn for weddings and national holidays).

This would be complemented by a Viking helmet, complete with impressive horns.

Her main power would consist of being paid a regular heroism-salary by the government despite very rarely doing any actual heroics.

Her main rival, chiefly in terms of bragging contests, would be a similar girl representing Sweden. The Swedish girl would be wearing similar garb and a Viking helmet without horns, and they'd spend hours bickering about which version is correct / more fashionable. (Real Vikings never wore horned helmets, that's just a Hollywood thing.)

Stories / episodes about them would generally consist of one girl claiming to have done something pointless but impressive (climb this or that mountain really fast, etc.), whereupon the other would try to either disprove the claim or beat the record.

Whenever necessary, they would of course set their differences aside and work together to fight any outside threat - such as a more-than-usual corrupt politician or a kaiju awoken by the constant noise from offshore oil drilling.

Fox12:
The escapist would be an old, imaciated corpse begging for water that will never come.

America? I don't, Wonder Woman probably.

This is America we're talking about, Fox12. We'd probably get something closer to Black Lagoon than Wonder Woman. Observe:

Foul Mouthed? Check. Booze? Check. Guns? Check. Religious trappings contrasted by an overwhelmingly condescending and irreverent attitude and a hair trigger temper? That's a big check. They're practically American stereotypes.

I'm in Indiana.

So. Um. Guns are a must...corn is yellow...uh.

Yellow...blonde...er.

That works.

I live in Sydney... so I imagine a magical girl wearing a bank clerk outfit that has amazing powers of creating 25 year long 'geas' on her enemies guaranteeing they spend a lifetime of wage slave-esque labour in her name.

Coupled with the ability to a determine the origin of the coffee beans in any one of 5000 variations of overpriced coffee. Which, I've been told, is a life skill by the youth now. Like how an intern reporter wrote an OP-ed about how shameful it is that the nation's capital doesn't have decent cafeterias.

It's enough to make a liberal rethink the merits of conscription... maybe young millenials do have a warped sense of priorities? It's gotten to the point where I don't think Australians will survive climate change, not simply because it is catastrophic... just because things might get hard for the poor dears. Then again... most of the youth don't actually live that soft... in fact they work bloody hard in comparison. Just the noisy ones complaining about coffee that you hear most frequently from.

As far as I can tell life hasn't gotten do easy or problems so lacking overpriced coffee actually matters. But maybe I'm just slowly becoming one of those old fucks?

Australia here, so Lab coat, serious looking glasses and expression to match, probably shoulder length hair but in a bun or short ponytail.

Accessories include Bunsen burner and polished wood clipboard able to collate data.

Magical powers include logic, deductive reasoning, and ability to refute the existence of magic.

I mean I'm in New York, so she'd be a hipster looking.... like Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim. Dyed hair.

Powers would probably something about Taxes.

Well, since I'm British I'd go with time travel (because apparently that is something we're known for) and go with a blue dress. Basically, the Tardis if it was an anime girl.

Squilookle:
Australia here, so Lab coat, serious looking glasses and expression to match, probably shoulder length hair but in a bun or short ponytail.

Accessories include Bunsen burner and polished wood clipboard able to collate data.

Magical powers include logic, deductive reasoning, and ability to refute the existence of magic.

...you live in a very different Australia to the one I do. My magical Australia girl has a staff made out of VB cans and an empty Goon carton.

There're two ways I would make my magical girls.
1- A regal like girl with a staff whose is serious but can mellow out when needed.

2- A gothic lolita with an attitude like she liked to smoke and has enough of your shit attitude.

Also no, the two are not related. More like from different backgrounds.

Wrex Brogan:

Squilookle:

...you live in a very different Australia to the one I do. My magical Australia girl has a staff made out of VB cans and an empty Goon carton.

Not at all. They're sisters. Or even the same person, just with a weekend/weekday split

I'm from Jersey. I guess my Magical Girl would have big hair, a spray tan, and be tough as balls.

Hull! Basically a 55 year old with a Majorca tan, short, spiky hair, and vague haphazard tattoos of birds and dead relatives' names. Wears Yorkshire clogs. Buffs her powers by complaining about Polish people.

Squilookle:

Not at all. They're sisters. Or even the same person, just with a weekend/weekday split

VB Magical girl sounds more fun to be around, however.

Can I relegate my viewing time to simply those moments? I imagine a lengthy, over the top transformation scene that results in copious amounts of Berocca and day-long pajama wearing after 10 hours of defeating the evils of sobriety and boredom. Assuming they're a happy drunk-type at least ... pretty much the only fun type of drunk.

Some people shouldn't drink. Or maybe if VB magical girl is the angry drunk type, maybe they're an evil twin separated at birth? But then it becomes moralistic trash and Australians aren't the puritanical types to begin with.

On U.S. tv heroes drinking in a pub are painted as depressed and liquor equals an escape, on Australian tv it's about heightening the entertainment. Of course the culture of drinking we have inevitably takes that as an excuse and it becomes an excess of bad life choices and ridiculous numbers of ER patients.

Maybe we might have a complex and nuanced VB magical girl that tells a story of how successful Research Girl has a darkside of VB girl that results from latent depression and alcoholism that is hidden from her colleague, Lab Coat Boy and Cleanroom Robot?

This topic, dammit. Well, I'm from Kansas. And unfortunately all anybody not from my state knows about Kansas... is that we already have one.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here