Introducing the new Doctor

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jodie Whittaker congrats on being announced as the new Doctor in the long running Doctor Who series. Hey, she even worked with my favourite Doctor on that other BBC show.

The Daily Mail and it's comment section are about to lose their fucking minds.

Thoughts?

Oh and here is her IMDB page so you can have a look at her previous work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2092886/

Oh, and no Steven Moffat. He is ggggggggggggggggggggggonnnnnne. I miss Russell T. Davis.

I watched Broadchurch but I don't remember her all too much to be honest. Hopefully she has the chops to pull the role off. I don't care about her gender, they've been building up to that for a while. I can certainly see it causing controversy in certain quarters, though.

just came here to post this

The 'new Doctor meltdown' that always happens is going to be extra-stupid this time around.

Because in some folks' minds, a female lead character is propaganda and enough to destroy a show that's been around for over 50 years and become a national institution.

Aaaaah shit.... this is going to bring the SJW and anti-SJW groups out in full force, isn't it? Ugh, time to go hide again...

Uh oh. There is a disturbance brewing in the winds methinks. *Leaps to cower heroically behind the fridge*

Broadchurch was pretty good, we shall see how this turns out. No doubt eyes will be extra meticulous in their criticism of future shows.

I'm outraged by the racist decision of not casting Idris Elba as the next doctor, as well as every other fictional character out there.[1]

[1] Real talk, good for her, but i don't care about Doctor Who at all. And, yes, i'm one of those Elba for Bond dudes.

On one hand, there will be outrage at having a female Doctor, the Feminists/Communists/Papists are taking over.

On the other, I don't care about nuWho anymore.

New Doctor, Moffat leaving...might be time to dip my toes in again.

altnameJag:

its been steadily improving since they got rid of Clara. Maybe with Moffat leaving for realz it can be good again.

I can see the internet rage already.

Many will claim they want to watch Dr Who just because of this (though I doubt they will), and many will swear off the show because of it (sadly I think more will follow up on that).

It's all just nonsense.

I think this is a bad fucking idea. I would have preferred a non-white or non-british doctor over a lady one any day. Mainly because I don't trust the writers not to turn the Doctor regenerating into a women into the most cringey, insufferable [1] thing ever. I mean, the show hasn't been good for at least 5 years now, but this is not going to save it. :\

[1] okay, more cringey and insufferable than current Doctor Who already is

I haven't watched Doctor Who since Capaldi started, I'm not about to start doing either.

So, take that, I guess?

I wouldn't have watched even if it was a white guy, but, god damn it, there's an outrage to cash in on.

Here's the trailer-

Either way, I don't really care as I lost interests in the franchise years ago. Still I wonder if they means we would see a female James Bond (Jane Bond?) anytime soon?

She's a good choice! I watched Series 10 and surprisingly the quality improved imo.

Appropriate that this is the 13th doctor. Good lord!

Hopefully they play it straight and don't give the gender swap too much attention past the initial episode. I'm just interested to see how this Doctor comes off personality wise. Capaldi's been my favorite out of New Who in spite of the material he's given.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! The outrage to this has been delicious to behold. I've even had a text from a friend saying that he was done with Doctor Who.

I mean, who didn't see this coming, ever since it was revealed that Time Lords can swap gender? And then The Master turned into Missy and was generally well received. So I don't see The Doctor being a woman as being a problem myself, it is certainly going to add a new dimension to a character that has been an endless parade of men for the last 50 years.

Well, Moffat's work there is done.

She's a decent actor, and all the best and that, but I think it is bullshit to have gender-changing doctors (especially after 12/13 regenerations). Have a series based around a female doctor, by all means, but this just smacks of gimmickism. Then again, after the wreckage that was a number of series of Steven Moffat's writing, they probably need to raise viewing figures somehow.

Not that I've been watching it since the Clara series anywho. So my opinion is largely irrelevant.

I have no stakes in this, so imma just sit back, eat some popcorn, and watch the inevitable shit show.

I've never seen Doctor Who. I was about to watch a season on Hulu, but... I have no idea what happened, I just didn't end up watching it.

undeadsuitor:

altnameJag:

its been steadily improving since they got rid of Clara. Maybe with Moffat leaving for realz it can be good again.

That got rid of her? Wow. Capaldi's first season was my first and currently only experience with Nu-Who, as it annoyed me that she felt like the main character instead of the Doctor. Didn't help the writing and story was absolutely awful too.

As for the casting choice, Eeeh... Seems like changing a character's gender for PC's sake, but I guess they need to do something to shake up and refresh Doctor Who if the season I watched is any indication.

To be honest, I was hoping for Judi Dench.

I like the actress. It's a shame she's going to have to work under Chibnall, who I have very low expectations for as showrunner.

MrCalavera:
i'm one of those Elba for Bond dudes.

It's at least ten years too late for that. If he was ever going to be Bond it should have been instead of Daniel Craig, not after him.

The Bond franchise has this bad habit of casting actors older than they should and/or keeping them on for far too long.

Bah, I was hoping for Olivia Coleman

Chessrook44:
Aaaaah shit.... this is going to bring the SJW and anti-SJW groups out in full force, isn't it? Ugh, time to go hide again...

No, stay, grab a seat and watch the internet burn.

Please be well written. Please be well written. Please be well written.

BreakfastMan:
I think this is a bad fucking idea. I would have preferred a non-white or non-british doctor over a lady one any day. Mainly because I don't trust the writers not to turn the Doctor regenerating into a women into the most cringey, insufferable [1] thing ever. I mean, the show hasn't been good for at least 5 years now, but this is not going to save it. :\

On one hand, we've got Missy who... wasn't my cup of tea honestly but wasn't bad. On the other, we had the General who made a cringey sexist joke three seconds after regenerating so... coin flip?

MiskWisk:

BreakfastMan:

On one hand, we've got Missy who... wasn't my cup of tea honestly but wasn't bad. On the other, we had the General who made a cringey sexist joke three seconds after regenerating so... coin flip?

I am placing my bets on 13 groping her breasts and making some stupid comment about having a vag in the first 10 seconds she is on screen. Followed by Bill falling head over heels for 13 and them making out 4 episodes later. Also betting on a "Girl Power!" comment some time during 13's first episode.

BreakfastMan:

MiskWisk:

BreakfastMan:

I am placing my bets on 13 groping her breasts and making some stupid comment about having a vag in the first 10 seconds she is on screen. Followed by Bill falling head over heels for 13 and them making out 4 episodes later. Also betting on a "Girl Power!" comment some time during 13's first episode.

hoo boy you didn't watch the season finale did you?

Im just disappointed its not Richard Ayoade.

I hope her doctor is very unlucky and has bad luck sense shes 13

I cannot help but to think its going to be a mistake. I get its built into the lore that the 13th would be a woman. However following up what Missy did with the master, there is no way this is going to measure up.

Serious question to any old-Who buffs. Is this whole 'timelords can regenerate as either gender, regardless of previous incarnation' something with an established canon pedigree, or something that has arisen purely in the tragically awful Moffat era (because I don't seem to recall it ever appearing in the RTD era)?

Im just disappointed its not Richard Ayoade.

He's to busy being a shit version of Richard O'Brian on the new Crystal Maze.

Haven't watched Dr Who now for, I dunno when did Matt Smith take over? No real issue with a women Dr, hopefully they will do a decent job with her and that she was selected because they actually wanted to do some good stuff rather than as a side ways attempt at getting people to watch the show because, you know, controversial new Dr.

Shadowstar38:
Appropriate that this is the 13th doctor. Good lord!

Hopefully they play it straight and don't give the gender swap too much attention past the initial episode. I'm just interested to see how this Doctor comes off personality wise. Capaldi's been my favorite out of New Who in spite of the material he's given.

I'm hoping for the opposite or what's the point of the gender flip. If it doesn't change anything about the show then it is a pointless act.

I'm totally open to a lady Doctor, but casting Jodie Whittaker specifically makes me uncomfortable because all I can think about her was her appearance in one of Black Mirror's most painful episodes.

I'm sure she'll do a good job; it's not her fault that Charlie Brooker has such a keen sense of what buttons to press to transform a human being into a sobbing pile of boneless meat.

I'm gonna make a sexist argument for why this is a good thing and why no one should bitch: It's everything you love about the Doctor only now you can fuck the Doctor and have it not be gay.

I mean for years female whovians have been able to pine after the Doctor and make him their husbando, damn it I want a turn to whistfully wish I can be rescued away by a madwoman with a box!

Really my only complaint on the casting choice is she's not ginger.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here