George A. Romero, dead at 77

The progenitor of the modern Zombie Apocalypse has died after a battle with lung cancer. May he not rise up to devour our brains or our lungs, our bowels, our ribs. But he shall always be in our hearts.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

Rest in Peace George Romero for inspiring the Zombie games I enjoyed like Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead, and Dead Rising.

So now we know who patient 0 for the zombie uprising is!

I wrote my farewell elsewhere, but since this is a videogame website I'd like to remind everybody that not only did Romero inspire THE zombie videogame series Resident Evil, he also directed a brief live-action commercial for Resident Evil 2. And in those measly 30 seconds he captured more of the spirit of Resident Evil than Paul W. S. Anderson ever did in all of six feature films.

See you when there's no more room in hell, George.

That sucks.

Even if everyone else is bored with them, I still love me some zombies. It's hard to imagine what the zed genre would look like without him.

Silentpony:

If Romero does turn out the progenitor of the zombie apocalypse, I'm not sure whether that'd be awesomely appropriate or deeply terrifying. Both?

I'll miss him, but Dan O'Bannon did a lot more.

I'll always have my Romero plushie tucked in with me at night!

Silentpony:

So THAT'S who was in that hospital room in the No Mercy campaign!

It makes so much sense now...

Very few people can claim to have the level of impact that he had on society. He invented a genre. He will be missed.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here