Made in Abyss-Probably the best anime this season

Not a lot of interesting anime this season but damn this anime is great, it looks beautiful and unique compared to other anime, the setting and characters are fantastic while having a lot of dark elements hiding beneath the surface. I've heard someone equate it to ICO and I can definitely see the similarities. Also it's manga based which fills me with optimism about it continuing with the quality.

The plot is basically a darker Etrian Odyssey with a huge chasm where exotic monsters and artifacts are with a girl finding a robot boy and them (probably) going to explore the depths of it with the world feeling very real.

Bonus recommendation: Aho Girl. It's a bit of a one trick pony but with a very good trick.

I'll give a pass to Aho Girl as I really can't stand Social Drama, Soap Opera's and Slice of Life shows.
To me, Escapism is all about getting away from those things. ,)

Made in Abyss sounds real nice though. I'll probably check it out.
Thanks!

As someone who read the manga, so far, they've done a really good job with it which makes me excited to "certain events" that will happen soon and how they adapt it. Although whether or not it's AOTS will depend on how they adapt the arc with this wonderful gentleman.

Took one look at it, it has tiny big-headed children, I immediately hate it.

"Unique".

Or is that Japanese for "my head is wider than my shoulders"?

Vendor-Lazarus:
I'll give a pass to Aho Girl as I really can't stand Social Drama, Soap Opera's and Slice of Life shows.

Actually it's a rapid fire comedy with escapism to the max:

Zhukov:
"Unique".

Definitely different than the usual, more in line with Madoka Magicka.

Though I think this is a more appropriate image:

inu-kun:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Actually it's a rapid fire comedy with escapism to the max:

...That was not how wikipedia described it. At all.
TV Tropes did a better job. My fault for just doing a quick look and see.

From little what I seen I personally really like it, it feels like if Bastion and Breath of the wild had a baby

I want to say that not only Made in abyss is the best anime of the season but the elevator scene rivals the Chimera scene from FMA

=glances at TV Tropes page=

Oh yeah, this looks right up my alley.

I remember dropping the first episode of Made in Abyss. It certainly struck my interest, but I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. Although I did get spoiled on certain things on social media.

I'd say this was a pretty strong season for anime:

- Owarimonogatari Season 2

Personal favorite, although I love everything Monogatari so I am biased. A powerful arc made even more effective by the recent prequel movie releases.

- Princess Principal

A pleasant surprise that prioritized the characters first and the plot second. I prefer this approach since I liked watching the team dynamic and their backstories elaborated on. The actual meat and potatoes might be somewhat lacking, but I can forgive that.

- Zaregoto

This might be cheating, since it only very recently finished after being released over the course over the year and more. Probably the weakest work I've seen from Nisioisin and Shaft didn't really bring their A-game. Still, I enjoyed the style and it felt very much like a prototype to Monogatari.

- New Game!!

Cute girls making cute games at one of the most pleasant gaming companies. It was an adorable, feel-good show that helped bring some levity among the more serious entries. A little weaker than the first season, but it has a great finale that feels like a great send-off.

- Classroom of the Elite

I went up and down with this one. I loved the little observations made about individual behavior and group mentality. The classroom politics overlapped and the protagonist was refreshingly competent. I'd say it has a strong first-half and a weaker second-half. In dire need of a second season though.

- Kakegurui

Initially I loved the absurdity of it all. And I while I purely value it as a spectacle and a very stylish affair, I can't help but feel like the ball was dropped due to a tension that never rose.

- Aho Girl

Short. Ridiculous. Relentless. Comedy.
Class president was best girl. Yoshiko's mom is...special. Yoshiko is...a walking disaster.
It was fun!

---

Bottom of the barrel: Re:Creators

Such wasted potential. Oh well, at least this train-wreck had a decent soundtrack.

Zhukov:

It's not cool to make fun of people with Cranial Elephantiasis.

The more people recommend me anime the more I realize I don't like it at all.

Yeah, I heard it was "Basically a darker Etrian Odyssey" type anime, and since I adored the darker Etrian Odyssey 3 I immediately got all hyped about it, as the EO games are possibly my favourite long-running RPG series.

...Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a way to watch it legally / with professional subs up here in Canada. :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here