tippy2k2 tells you what to think; Bright

Humans and Elves and Orcs Oh My!

While Netflix has made quite a number of original TV Shows and movies, Bright is easily the biggest movie they've made. This is the kind of movie that you wouldn't have blinked at if it had showed up in your local movie theater but is exclusive to the streaming service. Did the gamble pay off? Well...depends on what you want.

The story takes place in an alternate universe. The movie doesn't specify when it exactly takes place but it seems like it is modern Los Angeles but with a number of mythical creatures/races being around with the most prominent the Elves, Humans, and Orcs. The beginning credits does a wonderful job of showing what you need to know through LA Street Art with some clear allegories to today's race relations with the Elves being the rich one percenters and the Orcs being the poor ghetto dwellers.

Daryl Ward (Will Smith) is a human cop who is not very happy that he got to be partnered with the first Orc Cop Nick Jakoby (Joel Edgerton). The first half hour or so is just establishing the world and their relationship together until the fireworks begin as the pair runs into the elf Tikka (Lucy Fry) who has in their possession a magic wand (which is described pretty accurately by one character as a nuclear weapon that grants wishes). It's basically the magic item that everyone wants but no one should have due to how powerful it is. The bad guys want it to summon the Ultimate Evil, the (maybe?) good guy Feds want it to seal it away, the gangs in the area want it to gain control of everything, the orcs in the area want it for...I'm not sure what they wanted it for but it probably wasn't good; basically everyone wants this wand that our two cops and one civilian have and are chasing them throughout the film.

This is one of the toughest reviews I've written as the movie is very entertaining but I don't know if I could call it a good movie. The movie is all over the place with what it wants to do. For one, Ward is not happy at all about being partnered with Jakoby and lets everyone know how much he hates the assignment and how he wants to get rid of him. He then talks to his daughter about how all the races are equal and there is nothing wrong with the races but freaks out on Jakoby for coming to his house and talks about how much he hates being stuck with an Orc. It's like they wanted Ward to be a bad guy (or maybe antihero) who learns the error of his ways but they don't embrace that at all as he protects Jakoby and is very buddy-buddy with the Orc. The abilities of the bad guys also jump around as in one scene, the bad elves tear apart multiple opponents at once but have a ton of trouble taking out the two normal street cops. Essentially, whether it is the story, the characters, or the actions in the movie; everything is just crazy inconsistent. The movie could also have used a little bit of trimming with just under a two hour runtime as I was ready for it to be over with about twenty minutes before it ended.

With all that said though, it is a very entertaining movie. While the inconsistencies bugged me, Ward and Jakoby's relationship in the beginning is very fun to watch as the two actors have great chemistry with one another. These two clearly care about each other and have fun with one another. The action, though again it is annoying how the abilities of the bad guys is so inconsistent, is very entertaining. There are quite a few gun and fist fights, all of which are entertaining and exciting as a lot of different groups go after our two cops and go after each other trying to get to our two cops. The action could stand to be clearer (the movie's camera work is similar to the directors prior movie "End of Watch" with the shaky cam vibe) but it is plenty clear enough that you know who is fighting who and what is going on. The unique setting really helps as well as the fights can have a lot of interesting and unique styles with the mystical creatures in play.

Overall, the movie isn't a great movie but it is a fun movie. This is a popcorn blockbuster that was put on by Netflix that could have appeared in the summer blockbuster season and would have belonged. The movie could have been a lot better quality wise but the movie is entertaining and ultimately, that might be the most important thing.

7/10; It's not a great movie but it is an entertaining movie. If you want a fun way to burn two hours that doesn't make you think too much, you could do worse.

Last Review: Get Out

Actually, I just saw this on my Netflix list last night but didn't watch it yet. Looks like my initial thoughts are confirmed. Good if flawed movie.

I thought it was a remake of Alien Nation, from 1988. Even then much of what you described is exactly the same plot as that series.The only thing was it was space aliens that were refugees which lived side by side with humans. The two main characters were polar opposites and cops. Their existed a degree of racism that existed between both until later on.Strange enough, it seems from the way you described it, the move had fallen into the same problems as A.N and its TV series. Having plot inconsistencies and appearing to fall more later on into heavy action. Losing at least some of its charm later on actually is kinda of a bummer.

Still i might give it a watch,although it sounds just as deeply flawed as the A.N. TV series was it might be fun like those two, i enjoyed them.

Highly recommend if anyone did enjoy Bright to look at Alien Nation. Its a little old, but it was a lot more darker edge then Bright is. It doesn't hold back on the what racism exist might between aliens and humans. Something Hollywood likes to normally sugar coats over a lot of the time, the film will make you think. Cult Classic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nation_(film)

Long time between drinks. Get Out was, like, 8 mths ago. My only criticism is...

tippy2k2:
The abilities of the bad guys also jump around as in one scene, the bad elves tear apart multiple opponents at once but have a ton of trouble taking out the two normal street cops.

as it leaves me to wonder what movie review credentials you have. Have you ever seen a movie? This is pretty much how most of them work.

Take Star Wars for example. Somehow a group of idiots stumble onto a princess and break her out of prison in what has to be one of the most secure bases in the galaxy. Stormtroopers 0 Rebel 30. No wonder the Death Star was blown up. Darth Vader is an incompetent boob in ANH and all his troubles could have been defeated if he just put a little effort in. But no - he's way too lazy for that. Put Deadpool to shame.

trunkage:
Long time between drinks. Get Out was, like, 8 mths ago. My only criticism is...

tippy2k2:
The abilities of the bad guys also jump around as in one scene, the bad elves tear apart multiple opponents at once but have a ton of trouble taking out the two normal street cops.

as it leaves me to wonder what movie review credentials you have. Have you ever seen a movie? This is pretty much how most of them work.

Take Star Wars for example. Somehow a group of idiots stumble onto a princess and break her out of prison in what has to be one of the most secure bases in the galaxy. Stormtroopers 0 Rebel 30. No wonder the Death Star was blown up. Darth Vader is an incompetent boob in ANH and all his troubles could have been defeated if he just put a little effort in. But no - he's way too lazy for that. Put Deadpool to shame.

They specifically mention that the intention was to let the rebels and the princess escape. They had a tracker on the ship for that very reason since the princess wasn't giving up the information they wanted.

If the torpedoes had been like 2 seconds late the empire woulda got exactly what they wanted.

Warhound:

trunkage:

tippy2k2:

They specifically mention that the intention was to let the rebels and the princess escape. They had a tracker on the ship for that very reason since the princess wasn't giving up the information they wanted.

If the torpedoes had been like 2 seconds late the empire woulda got exactly what they wanted.

Well, this bunch of silliness really worked out well, didn't it.

I would have liked it, but there were no dwarves, so 0/10. Would be a 7/10 if not for their blatant anti-dwarf bias.
Stupid knife-ears.

Wow...I don't know if I've had six responses TOTAL in all my reviews...

Arnoxthe1:
Actually, I just saw this on my Netflix list last night but didn't watch it yet. Looks like my initial thoughts are confirmed. Good if flawed movie.

Pretty much; I was thoroughly entertained by the movie but it's not a great movie if that makes sense...

RobertEHouse:
Highly recommend if anyone did enjoy Bright to look at Alien Nation. Its a little old, but it was a lot more darker edge then Bright is. It doesn't hold back on the what racism exist might between aliens and humans. Something Hollywood likes to normally sugar coats over a lot of the time, the film will make you think. Cult Classic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nation_(film)

That sounds promising and the lack of sugar coating the racist aspect (something this film felt like it did) might make it interesting...

trunkage:

tippy2k2:

For the first part, I just haven't seen many movies worth writing about. I generally only write about movies that have just come out (so people have a reason to read it) or if I REALLY liked it or if I REALLY hated it. For the second part...

The problem is how just plain blatant it is here. So I'll give a spoiled example from a fight in the movie but I'll give a non-Bright example too unspoiled if you want to go into Bright blind like I prefer my movies

For a non-spoiler example and to keep with Star Wars, think if Anakin Skywalker that fought Count Dooku (so blades whirling, force powers, the "Spectacle Fight" of the prequels) and then immediately went and fought in A New Hope form where he barely moves and doesn't really do anything. That is essentially what happens in the movie as bad guy goes from super awesome "kill everything that can move" to incompetent henchmen when he fist fights the good guys in the same shot.

I get it happens in a lot of movies but this was so damn jarring that it's hard not to have it bug you.

Souplex:
I would have liked it, but there were no dwarves, so 0/10. Would be a 7/10 if not for their blatant anti-dwarf bias.
Stupid knife-ears.

The Orcs mention the Dwarves at one point; sequel bait? :D

tippy2k2:

Souplex:
Stupid knife-ears.

The Orcs mention the Dwarves at one point; sequel bait? :D

From my understanding (havent had a chance to watch it yet) it is like generic brand Shadowrun, so eventually they have to have dorfs, trolls, etc. :P

Yeah, I quite liked it, could have done with more world building. Seems like there was just the minimum for the plot.

It was okay - it didn't light my world on fire, but I think it was the closest I'm going to get to a Shadowrun movie. I enjoyed it well enough.

I didn't like it. I thought the initial racial elements were cack-handed and super on the nose, but what makes it a bad movie is the amount of dreary action scenes in the second half; everything takes place over one night, with the characters stumbling around alleyways for most of the movie.

maninahat:
I didn't like it. I thought the initial racial elements were cack-handed and super on the nose, but what makes it a bad movie is the amount of dreary action scenes in the second half; everything takes place over one night, with the characters stumbling around alleyways for most of the movie.

To answer your question as to why Orcs aren't the middle class instead of humans: The Orcs sided with the Dark Lord in the past, chances are most of them were put to the blade and the majority of their population was wiped out (Pretty much what happens to orc tribes in 90% of pen and paper RPGs when they come up against the GoodGuys?) or possibly exiled to whatever passes for third world hellholes in the Bright universe. You also missed that it seems that Centaurs also exist in the middle class as well, you see several of them in the film and they are considered on par with humans, so its not just humans that are in the middle.

Wanna talk about Racial disparity, in one scene we see a DRAGON flying over LA, that fucker would be the actual top of the social foodchain most likely.

Edit: I rather liked the movie, and I really hope we get more entries (Either show or movies) in the world, since it is quite fresh and interesting.

Warhound:

Wanna talk about Racial disparity, in one scene we see a DRAGON flying over LA, that fucker would be the actual top of the social foodchain most likely.

If they do a sequel I will be so pissed if they do not team up with a dragon Temeraire style.

Warhound:

maninahat:

To answer your question as to why Orcs aren't the middle class instead of humans: The Orcs sided with the Dark Lord in the past, chances are most of them were put to the blade and the majority of their population was wiped out (Pretty much what happens to orc tribes in 90% of pen and paper RPGs when they come up against the GoodGuys?) or possibly exiled to whatever passes for third world hellholes in the Bright universe. You also missed that it seems that Centaurs also exist in the middle class as well, you see several of them in the film and they are considered on par with humans, so its not just humans that are in the middle.

Edit: I rather liked the movie, and I really hope we get more entries (Either show or movies) in the world, since it is quite fresh and interesting.

That seems like conjecture, considering we see bloody loads of orcs in the show, Also, you're talking about events that happened thousands of years ago, and according to reality, people tend to bounce back even if they followed history's bad guy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here