Black Lagoon - A Review

I've actually heard about Black Lagoon a long time ago when it was mentioned to me as a good show to watch coming out of Cowboy Bebop, but I never got around to actually watching it at all and kinda forgot about it after that. Then I saw it again in a Recommended Anime list and, since I got absolutely nothing better to do right now, and since I like realistic (or at least semi-realistic) animes, I gave it a shot and I binge watched all 29 episodes of the english dub of it. So hold on to your ass, my bitches, because we're gonna review this damn fucker.

Black Lagoon opens with a Japanese businessman named Rokuro (abbreviated to Rock from here on out) getting constantly kicked around by his higher-ups. But this very quickly ends as, on a business trip to the south pacific, he gets captured and held for ransom by a group of pirates labelled simply as the "Lagoon Company" composed of a black Vietnam vet, Bob Hackerman, and an edgy teenager's wet dream of a girl called Revy, who is responsible for the decision to hold Rock for ransom to get some extra cash.

Unfortunately for the Company, this doesn't work out so well as the business that Rock worked for decides instead that the disk the pirates first stole from the ship Rock was on is much more valuable than he is, sending out a merc team to "deal" with them all and get the disk back. At the end of this short beginning arc, Rock realizes the thrill of being a part of the Company and decides to abandon his former life completely in favor of joining the Lagoon Company for good.

Now, at the end of the day, would I recommend this show? I mean... I actually don't know. It crosses a lot of moral boundaries (depends on whether you consider that a good or bad thing) and even putting that aside, it commits some dialogue and combat sins, but I still liked it in a pretty dark visceral kind of way and it's good moments really do stand out. I guess I would, as long as you know what you're getting into. Cowboy Bebop, this is not. Although at first glance, they seem similar, they tackle very different themes and do things in very different ways. If that's alright with you and you can accept it's problems, then absolutely. Watch it, and don't forget your Hawaiian shirt. But if not, you probably should look somewhere else.

Final Score: 7.8/10

if only there were an entire section dedicated to user reviews

that sure would be swell

if only

:)

Marter:
if only there were an entire section dedicated to user reviews

that sure would be swell

if only

:)

Whoops. Forgot about that. Did you already review this series though?

No, I didn't review it. I think I did, like, one or two TV series. (And none of them were animated.)

Just wanted to throwback to the days when User Review was used. And when people knew it was a thing. (Didn't really meant to pick on you; hardly anyone goes there now so it gets forgotten by everyone.)

Them's were the days.

I rather enjoyed the show but one thing that always sticks out in my mind about that first episode(Other then the "Blowing up a helicopter with a torpedo" thing), is that when Rock is captured one of the first things he starts freaking out about is how this is gonna be a black mark on his company record.

Yes, Rock, you've been captured by pirates who threatened to kill you. Obviously your employer looking down on you for this unfortunate event is the biggest thing you should be worried about. How very stereotypically Japanese of you.

However, I don't blame him for telling his boss to shove it at the end of the first arc.

Dalisclock:
I rather enjoyed the show but one thing that always sticks out in my mind about that first episode(Other then the "Blowing up a helicopter with a torpedo" thing), is that when Rock is captured one of the first things he starts freaking out about is how this is gonna be a black mark on his company record.

Yeah, as i said, the dialogue in the beginning episodes can be really clunky and some parts just need some editing really bad.

I never liked Black Lagoon, it's too cynical and too try hard. And I hate Revy. Nothing against you or your user icon.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here