BoS Takes A Look At : Sonic The Hedgehog Comics

BoS Review:Sonic the Hedgehog Comics

Part 2 of 2. Link to part 1 is below.

"I am the eggman. They are the Eggman. I am the Walrus!!! Goo Goo G'joob!"-John Lennon

A Sonic Group Character Photo! (Image 80% cropped)<br />
A Sonic Group Character Photo! (Image 80% cropped)

Now let me make the oddest comparison between this comic and KtE. Think of StH as Ella Fitzgerald and KtE as Billie Holliday. Ella came first and got a huge fan base through her brilliance. Billie Holiday related through genre, started later and became one of the best of her craft as a singer of the history of the Universe. But sadly Billie Holliday died young, while Ella lived much longer, crooning until the end. (In this case she's still alive) The reason I said that whole little anecdote is because these two comics are like Ella and Billie. As much as Ella the Hedgehog is still around and still good, Bille the Echidna made much more of an impression, in much of a smaller time-span. But then again we're not here for me to type 3(MS Word) more pages of praise to Knuckles the Echidna, we're here because I decided to follow it up with the series that made that gem possible (Wow that last sentence sounds like Ella and Billie again. Somehow.)

Sonic The Hedgehog, also made through Archie Comics, is another series that I must say is good. Not Watchmen or KtE, but good. The main reason that it's good is that it as much as it has the SEGA ball and chain around it's legs, it doesn't mean that it's story has to share those GOD-AWFUL GAMES. It was smart to use the characters of the renowned Sonic SatAM cartoon, and work from there. After I got KtE, I got a few of StH, so I wouldn't go into the series like a lost tourist, and found that I could actually like it. (Even if it may whore itself for SEGA a bit) As much as It's too long for an overview, I'll just cut to the part that's most important, from two names well known to fans (and fanboys) of the series, ENDGAME to Home.

Short History

The Series had it's start as a miniseries like KtE running from February 1993 to May 1993, then a regular series that's been running from June 1993. Along it's run they have had 23 non-related specials that used to come 4 times a year from 1995 to 2001. The story started like anything by Archie. Foolish and no continuity. But something happened where the writers either got switched, or the writer gained 100 IQ points, by having the story have a sense of continuity which has been running since maybe... 1997? Now there is a new series separate from the main series called Sonic Universe, but has the marketing gimmick of, "If you don't read this as well, you wont know what the fuck is going on sucker." But that's a diffrent series, and let's focus on the topic at hand.

Yes, there is a walrus. And he will kill you if you're not listening to  'I Am the Walrus' right now.
Yes, there is a walrus. And he will kill you if you're not listening to 'I Am the Walrus' right now.

Overview

Starting from ENDGAME (Roughly around the time I started reading the series), the story starts with a flashback 10 years before the present during the "Great War of Mobius" between the "Kingdom of Acorn" (Think of every anthromorphic species you can except for Echidnas. All armed with Gatling crossbows, knives, tanks and planes that have been disarmed and tricked out swords, because guns have been banned by it's king.(Dumbass) That's the general population.) and the Overlanders(Think humans with 3 fingers and a thumb wearing Vault-Tec Jumpsuits. Armed with Tanks, Hovercrafts, AC130's and shitloads of Laser beams.) Two soldiers with their old US Army motorcycle, Jules and Charles Hedgehog find an Overlander left for dead called Ivo Kintobor (Yea, it's a pretty weak disguise)and bring him to the Kingdom of Acorn. With his help they're able to defeat the Overlanders, who flee in a 40k style space craft to the distant stars (IF THEY HAVE 40K SPACE CRAFTS, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY NOT MAKE SPESS MEHREENS AND DREADNOUGHTS?), at the cost of giving birth to Robotnik. Returning back to present day, we find Sonic fleeing from Acorn's own army, due to the fact that he's wanted for the attempted murder of Princess Sally Acorn. After 60 pages of the comic, showing his run from the law, we find out it was all a retarded/ingenious setup, where this abusive mercenary forced his girlfriend to dress up like Sonic, with eyes that made any person she saw look like Robotnik. In the end Robotnik dies, the mercenary gets sent to Devil's Gulag Prison, the princess survives and Sonic gets the girl (Princess Sally) in as much cliche's as possible. (I could have just stopped reading right there, because even as an 8 year old SEGA fan, I thought at that point, "What sort of bullshit is this?") The series does not end there surprisingly, and started 15 issues of "filler" in harshest terms, where the Kingdom of Acorn starts fighting mercenary gangs that are following the lead of Robotnik's nephew Snivley, and travelling around the world of Mobius, all the while having 2 stories that at least kept my interest, one of a satellite station being formed in space, and a story of the decade long Great War, which is epic enough for me to kidnap some programmer and make him start working on a C&C mod for it.

This does deserve a C&C mod. Do Not say otherwise.
This does deserve a C&C mod. Do Not say otherwise.

The lull of peace in the filler ends with Snivley being captured and sent to the satellite, where it turns out Robo-Robotnik (This series just loves using minor characters to appear 60 issues after they were last seen) is forming this satellite that can mess up all sense of reality on Mobius. Because of this the Freedom Fighters (Sonic, Tails, Rotor Walrus, Antoine D'C- No I will not write his last name, Sally Acorn, Tommy Turtle, Bunnie Ra-No I will not write HER last name, and plenty of other random characters throughout the series) hijack one of the old Space shuttles left over from Robotnik's old regime to fly to the satellite. There they find out that it's Robo-Robotnik (*gasps*) and that he's going to robotocize everyone, and turn them into slaves, imprison the freedom fighters and is in the process of sending shitloads of robots to destroy the Kingdom of Acorn. (Because the other guy certainly didn't try that) However Robo Robotnik (I'll just start calling him Eggman from now on) is successful in taking over Acorn's capital of Mobotropolis, in a style worthy of a C&C mod. However he's still not successful of killing Sonic and his friends because Snivley fears his own life and wants protection from Eggman. They accept and flee the satellite and destroy it. Then for the next 20 FUCKING issues we get more "filler" (I'm starting to wonder if this series is actually good now) because now the Kingdom is reduced to the city of Knothole, try to convince the last recently discovered Human city (Station Square) to fight with them, and now the Kingdom and Eggman are fighting over The mystical sword of Acorns. Oooooooooooooh.... Shiny and mystical....... Wooooooow..... I think this was during the year that Sonic Team lost all of it's credibility in one flush (2001) and that had an effect on the comic too, because their careers where in the hands of these people, and they wanted to keep it that way. Anyways, quelle supris... they get the sword back, Snivley joins Eggman out of... anger, the comic never really says, but the prince of Acorn, Elias Acorn, flees the Kingdom secretly, believing that he isn't fit to rule. Zut Alors!

Dammit! You're not Commander Kerrigan!
Dammit! You're not Commander Kerrigan!

So, then we get A few issues about the Overlanders returning to Mobius, and trying to live with Eggman, believeing he's human and that the commander of the Overlanders Colin, believes that Eggman, is his brother Julian. It turns out that all of the Overlanders are slowly becoming irradiated and can survive only trough Roboticization. They refuse and instead follow Sonic who takes them to Station Square, where they agree to fight a.... Dragon. So Station Square will accept the Overlanders. I shit you not. Then guess what... Filler! But it's Ken Penders/ Knuckles filler! So it's the best damn filler the comic gets, revolving around Knuckles daughter from the future, the Dark Legion trying to come to an alliance with the EST, with assassination plots flying around. YES! VISCERAL ACTION! Plus it shows us Julie-Su from the future in the end, and...... I won't lie. Coming from a non-furry, she does look hot. And her daughter (Knuckles and Julie-Su's) too. WHAT? I'm honest! So after those 4 issues of pure WIN on paper, I think they got 2 new writers, (Ian Flynn, and Karl Bollers) who got shit done. Well. But not before the last writer fucked up by making another 10 issues of filler. Fuck... WHY!!! This batch of filler starts with Station Square blowing up Eggman's city. However because he was a machine, and turned snivley into one too, they just get robots to rebuild them. But of course. So then the Freedom Fighters blow up the factory in ruined New York (Yet no one knows that they're on Earth.) making Robotnik and Snivley, so they just USE THE FUCKING INTERNET TO CREATE THEMSELVES AGAIN and then Aliens (Oh god, Kerrigan and the Zerg can't come quick enough to finish this planet) decide to see which should be the dominant species on the planet. The robots, or flesh and blood. After 1 pointless issue, they decide that all people on the planet should be flesh and blood, turning all robots (Eggman and Snivley) into humans.

I. Am. Pissed. That. My. Series. Was. Cancelled. For. This.
I. Am. Pissed. That. My. Series. Was. Cancelled. For. This.

Then Mr. Flynn and Bollers came in, saw the mess, and thought, that in order to clean everything up, they would have to make a bit more of a mess. (This is the start of Home. So we're almost done here.) It starts with a new group of ailens called the Xorda, who come back to finish off Earth because their last attempt to destroy it 12 000 years ago failed. The mobians, confused, because that they think that their planet is Mobius, (EVEN THOUGH THE RUINS OF NEW YORK WERE SHOWN 5 FUCKING ISSUES AGO), but all records indicate that it's Earth. So after repelling the first wave, the Xorda put their last-ditch weapon on Earth called the Quantum Dial, to destroy Earth and it's solar system. Sonic is able to destroy it, but the blast from it, plus the fact that there is no corpse, makes everyone think he's dead. But he's not. He's 890,000 light years away. It works here... So for the next few issues, he goes from planet to planet, trying to make his way home. After landing on the planet that has the aliens that deroboticized everyone on Earth, he makes friends with the scientist in charge, who helps him get back to Earth. After landing on Earth, he frees a few of Acorn's Secret Service who tell him that Eggman has finished constructing two atomic warheads, able to destroy Acorn and Station Square. After returning to Knothole, Sonic finds out that he's been space for a year and that the war, has turned from skirmishes to Full Scale World War. After a short reunion Eggman reveals his plan in full, to launch his nukes and to destroy the shield around an old irradiated city, able to cause the population of Knothole to die from radiation poisoning. (If the nukes somehow don't.) The armies of Station Square and Knothole are split into two fronts to stop Eggman from destroying the shield and prevent the launch. To wrap those up, they repel the attack on the irradiated city, and prevent the launch. The final issue of Home ends with a huge celebration in Knothole, for the victory and Sonic's return, but ends with him in soul crushing depression, where Sally punches him on a stage in front of all of Knothole, and breaks up with him. Then the series starts getting better.

Dialogue

Lets just say my praise from the KtE review does not carry over to here. All the characters shout bravado and one liners, and Sonic is still a foolhardy dumbass. However most scenes that don't have Sonic before Flynn and Bollers (15%) are all good and well put together, and after Flynn and Bollers, all bravado and stupidity seemed to be needed, in order to make everything more rounded. But, expect better dialogue from a Dr.Seuss book than this until issue #100.

Art

Well, like KtE different artists worked on the series, but there was one artist that stood out. Jeff Axer. I mean.... shit. If Dave Gibbons had an illegitimate child, it's him. Then I started wondering about Ken Penders. Is he Alan Moore's illegitimate son? I mean, if Ken and Jeff made their own comic, something in my brain says, that we'd have a second Watchmen! No.No. Ten thousand times no......... Maybe...

Final Comments

StH is OK. My whole anecdote that it's like Ella Fitzgerald, is waaaaaaaaaaay overboard (until Home). But where it lacked (WRITING), it had an artist that makes all of KtE looks like a crayon drawing. (Yea, it's not Jesus who did the art for StH, but still.) But after all of the review, I realized some major things.

Everything degrades in quality, (Except Billie Holiday, The Beatles, KtE, Battlefield 2142, Watchmen and South Park)
Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons may have cloned themselves, and that if Tails gets off his lazy techno ass, and builds the Nirvash Type 0 the series would be over.

[/series]
[/series]

Now if you excuse me, I have to listen to "Easy Living", because I love Billie Holliday.

For more of BoS's sensical ramblings:

BoS Takes A Look At Knuckles The Echidna

Great review man. Very in depth.

Also, aren't the lines I am the eggman, woooooooooooo, you are the eggman, woooooooooo. I am the Walrus, Goo Goo G'Joob.

My first proper comic addiction.

I had the luck to start around the 'Mecha-Sonic' saga, the artwork in the later books never reached that level again unfortunately :(

Well like the first part it's a great review but unlike the first part I found some more stuff to complain!(In a sort of a good way.)

The first problem is right at the start, when you jump right into the use of acronyms, and comparing the comics to two people who for alot of people I would say are abit obscure.

I get it that it's part 2 of Sonic related comics review but jumping to acronyms right at the start is jarring, worst! You start using the acronym StH at the begining and in the next paragraph is now Sonic the Hedgehog.

The other...well I knew who were Lady Ella and Lady Day ,(Unless theres two Fitzgerald and Holliday) but I'm not to sure that everyone likes Jazz around here so...BUT! it does give a certain charm to the review. But either so, they somewhat obscure(they big jazz icons and maybe American icons...not to sure on the rest of the world...then again I could be wrong) and makes the comparision kinda hard to understand.

Also...Ella Fitzgeral has been dead for 13 years you fool!

I did say on the Knuckles comic review that the overview section could have used some editing, but this one could have used some mighty scissors on the middle of the ranting, rambling and plot overview. Finally some of the pictures could be resized me thinks. And that cover is beyond horrible...You should have made a small review to the cover like Linkara does in his videos.

But anyway...It's a great review, keep on the good work. The only major complain is really how long it got in the middle, besides that is great!

oliveira8:
Well like the first part it's a great review but unlike the first part I found some more stuff to complain!(In a sort of a good way.)

The first problem is right at the start, when you jump right into the use of acronyms, and comparing the comics to two people who for alot of people I would say are abit obscure.

I get it that it's part 2 of Sonic related comics review but jumping to acronyms right at the start is jarring, worst! You start using the acronym StH at the begining and in the next paragraph is now Sonic the Hedgehog.

The other...well I knew who were Lady Ella and Lady Day ,(Unless theres two Fitzgerald and Holliday) but I'm not to sure that everyone likes Jazz around here so...BUT! it does give a certain charm to the review. But either so, they somewhat obscure(they big jazz icons and maybe American icons...not to sure on the rest of the world...then again I could be wrong) and makes the comparision kinda hard to understand.

Also...Ella Fitzgeral has been dead for 13 years you fool!

I did say on the Knuckles comic review that the overview section could have used some editing, but this one could have used some mighty scissors on the middle of the ranting, rambling and plot overview. Finally some of the pictures could be resized me thinks. And that cover is beyond horrible...You should have made a small review to the cover like Linkara does in his videos.

But anyway...It's a great review, keep on the good work. The only major complain is really how long it got in the middle, besides that is great!

Heh. Thanks for the help. I did go a little long, but then again these are really just prototypes, so I had no real idea where I should cut off for the overview.

I know Ella has been dead for 13 years!

The cover I chose was to show how many characters there are. And that 80% cropped thing isn't an over statment, that's probably 1/5 of all the characters in that series.

I couldn't find any smaller pictures.

And my bad for the acronyms.

Thanks for the help man!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked