Sassafrass Reviews: Hot Fuzz

Hot Fuzz. From the same guys that brought you Shaun of The Dead and the short lived but very funny TV show Spaced, Hot Fuzz is a British comedy film from Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg and the plot revolves around two policemen trying to solve the apparently accidental, but brutal, deaths of the Sanford citizens. It is also the second part of what has been named The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy by Wright and Pegg themselves, which started with Shaun of the Dead and will finish with The World's End, an upcoming movie due for release in 2010.

If I see one bad word, I'll get Pegg to shoot you

The plot of this film is very simple but at the same time, very, very effective. It focuses on a Sergeant Nicholas Angel (played by Simon Pegg) who patrols the streets of London. Unfortunately for him, his superiors (played by Martin Freeman, Steve Coogan and Bill Nighy respectively) decide he has been embarrassing his fellow officers and decide to bounce him out of London and to a rural village called Sanford, Gloucestershire. Here, he meets a Constable Danny Butterman (played by Nick Frost) and the rest of the Sanford police service who, apart from Frank Butterman and his son Danny, who is in awe of his previous career in London and of all the stuff he has done. At first, Angel is irritated by the lack of apparent interest in doing any police work shown by all of them, who, as a collective, seems to be more interested in eating ice cream instead of looking out for potential crime/criminal activities. However, the entire team work together towards the end and solve the mystery of the deaths.

Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air? No!
You liar, Angel.

Now, enough about the plot before I spoil it!
Time to talk about the humour and chemistry between Pegg, Frost and the rest of the supporting cast A full list of cast and crew can be found here. The humour in this film is one of the best things about it. The cast work very well together and even later on in the film, when the accidents are revealed to be something so much, much more sinister, the chemistry between them is astounding. The scenes involving Pegg and Frost are some of the best scenes in the movie, as they exchange lines with each other and share a close bond on screen and off screen, which of course adds to the comedic value of this film. The supporting cast of Timothy Dalton, Jim Broadbent, Edward Woodward, Billie Whitelaw and many more that would take too long to list here, are at their acting and comedic best, even if some of the actors aren't well known for their comedic talents. Special mentions go out to Jim Broadbent as Insp. Frank Butterman and the on screen relationship he has with Frost, who is playing his son. The two work well together and act like they've been working together for a long, long time. Special mentions also go out to Billie Whitelaw as Joyce Cooper, the owner/manager of The Swan hotel, who has a relatively small part but always shines when she's on screen, Timothy Dalton as Simon Skinner is marvellous in his role and has amazing chemistry with Pegg in their one to one scenes. I could carry on doing this for each supporting cast member but if I did, I'd be here for another 30 minutes so I shall move on to the next part of the review. And, before I forget, a special mention goes out to Rafe Spall and Paddy Considine who play The Andys. These two are without doubt, the funniest characters in the movie. They have amazing chemistry and the way they deliver their lines are point perfect and are always in the exact tone of voice (for tone of voice, read sarcasm and dry wit) that matches the current situation. They also react with Pegg and Frost's characters superbly, making the scenes where all four of them are on the screen the funniest parts of the movie. It's just a shame they don't get any more scenes between them then they do.

Quick! He's dropped a bit of litter!!!

Now, time to talk about the other part of this action comedy, which would be the action. Obviously.
Now, many films of this genre can't do one and the other. It's either good comedy, poor action or good action, poor comedy. Here, I am happy to say, it does both the comedy and action extremely well. It all kicks off about halfway, nearly three quarters of the way into the movie. To describe how this happens, I shall now try and explain how without giving away much plot. Angel is attacked by an assailant and after the assault, he discovers that his attacker has a radio. To not attract any suspicion, Angel adopts the attackers voice and successfully bluffs his way through the conversation with the person at the other end. This then leads him to a castle where a plot twist is introduced and he is forced to leave Sanford. But, after seeing a rack of action movies, he decides to head back and kick some buttock![1] Now, this leads to the best part of the movie for me. Lots and lots of GUNS! Yes, it is truly a shed load of guns that appear later on. Rifles, shotguns, even a World War 2 machine gun, the range of weapons here is quite big. And of course, this leads to amazing action. The gunfights are very dramatic, well done and even have a bit of humour involved. I can't say much about the people involved in the gunfights as if I do, I'll reveal the plot and spoil it for the people who haven't seen this movie.[2] And, unlike most action movies, the main actor does actually take a few hits now and again. The action, as I said above, also includes a bit of humour. For example, there is a gun fight in a pub later on and has all sorts of sound effects, one of which includes the extra life sound from a game which I cannot remember. There is also several small references to various movies in the latter scenes which you may be able to pick up on. And before I forget, the stunt work during the final chase scene, which involves two Vauxhall Astra diesels which Pegg described as "A chase between the irresistible force and the unmoveable object", is very good. Lot's of high speed, gun shooting, sliding action (OK, only one slide) which is all pulled off smoothly, slickly and will keep your attention firmly on the screen.

What do you mean "We're not getting paid for this?!"

As you could no doubt have figured out from the above, I love this movie. However, I have a little gripe with it. That gripe is the plot holes which occur on at least three occasions. I cannot go into much detail here for, once again, fear of spoiling the plot but when you watch the movie, you may notice three glaring plot holes. This disrupts the flow of the story not one jot but if you are like me, you will be left scratching your head as to why they didn't explain how that guy did that thing they did.[3] Apart from that small gripe, I cannot find anything wrong with it myself.

So, should you watch this movie? Yes, you should. If you have already watched this, should you do so again? Yes. If you watch this movie at least once a day, should you watch it more then once a day? God yes. A fantastic movie from fantastic writers and a fantastic director.

Thanks for reading my review, hope you liked it.

All images acquired from Google.
I take no responsibility for my actions towards posters who post TL;DR.
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and help writing the review.
This is my first proper review so criticism and pointers will be welcomed. Unless you are just being really harsh then I shall go cry over in the corner.

[1] If the plot twist part seems vague, it's because it was meant to be.
[2] Which if The Escapist is an example to use here, not that many.
[3] Once again, vagueness for the sake of not revealing spoilers.

Hey, I'm off suspension.

Great review by the way Sas, really concise.

This review sucked! *gets shot by Pegg*

Damn you British people and your accuracy...

Furburt:
Hey, I'm off suspension.

And you're on the record. Congratulations man.

I love this film.

Pegg's films usually are good.

I didn't like this movie to much. It was okay and it had some cool scenes, but it went a little to much for cheap laughs, in my opinion. Then again, maybe I'm compairing it to much to Shaun of The Dead wich was fucking brilliant.

I've heard some great stuff about this film, and your review seems to back it up, although right around the middle it got a little too wall of text-y, which is odd, because usually I don't have any problems with that. But it didn't really detract in the end.

Furburt:
Hey, I'm off suspension.

Welcome back, you Fuzzy Irish guy.
And thanks.

I can't wait until the third movie is released and they release a box set of all three

The suspense is what makes this movie. It's totally NOT an action movie, more a giant headfuck, until it all comes together at the end in a way you did not see coming, and then it kicks into action for the finale. Fantastic film.

Nice job. Read it through for the first time and found no obvious criticisms. I'll read it again later and see if I can scrutinize it some more.

Average review. While you've got a fairly nice grip on image placement, you have to separate paragraphs more readily; a review starts trudging towards the bowels of Review Hell when the reviewer goes off on a tangent. For example, there are a few points where you should have started new paragraphs (from a grammatical point of view) - try to do so in the future. This helps with coherency. You also tend to fly all over the place in terms of point placement, which detracts from the overall appeal of the review.

All-in-all, I think you've got a style better suited for video reviewing, though this is still decent. I apologize if I'm overly critical, but I mean to be so in a constructive fashion.

HUBILUB:
This review sucked! *gets shot by Pegg*

Damn you British people and your accuracy...

Oh, yes. We like shooting people.

CuddlyCombine:
Average review. While you've got a fairly nice grip on image placement, you have to separate paragraphs more readily; a review starts trudging towards the bowels of Review Hell when the reviewer goes off on a tangent. For example, there are a few points where you should have started new paragraphs (from a grammatical point of view) - try to do so in the future. This helps with coherency. You also tend to fly all over the place in terms of point placement, which detracts from the overall appeal of the review.

All-in-all, I think you've got a style better suited for video reviewing, though this is still decent. I apologize if I'm overly critical, but I mean to be so in a constructive fashion.

Hey, any criticism is good criticism, unless it's just something along the lines of "You suckz"
Thanks for the criticism.

Sasquatch99:
Hey, any criticism is good criticism, unless it's just something along the lines of "You suckz"
Thanks for the criticism.

No problem. Also, your lede (the lead paragraph) could use some work; try taking a route similar to this one (I'm not trying to shamelessly plug that old thing, but I can't be bothered to search for any others that are an accurate representation of what I mean).

Great review.

I love this movie so much!

Edward Woodward, as Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry said: "The letter 'd' in his name functions as a structural joist. Without it, his name would plunge into the spongy mass of 'Ewar Woowar'."

Sorry, I just remembered that and had to say it.

The review!, oh yes..I knew I clicked this thread for a reason:

It's brilliant actually. I am not a professional reviewer so my words don't count for much but for what it's worth, the presentation and delivery is spot on. And in my humble opinion I would like to add that I agree with your conclusion; it's a fantastic movie.

Hopefully this means more people will watch this movie. It's my favorite of all time and I have a huge poster on my wall. Nice review, and you did a good enough job stepping around spoilers.

I love this movie, i did it for an english task on the heroes journey a while back: a great escuse to watch it 7 times.

Great review

CAN YOU NOT POST IN THIS, PLEASE!
LET OTHER, NEWER REVIEWS HAVE THE LIMELIGHT. PM ME IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS ONE. THANKS.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked