Demented Teddy reviews FairyTale Fights

Fairytale Fights is a fun hack and slash, platform, adventure game by Play Logic.

The Story

The story's about how Red Riding Hood, Snow White, The Naked Emperor and Jack from Jack and the beanstalk are losing their fame and you set out on a quest to reclaim it, this involves mainly killing everything in a fanatical frenzy of attacks to reach your goal, you can choose to play as any of the 4 above characters.
In the above picture you're beating the crap out of a lumberjack for stealing porridge

The Fighting

The fighting is pretty simple, move the right stick to swing your weapon in the direction you moved it in, you can get a fast combo going by just swinging it like a madman.
Guns and wands work in a similar way but with limited ammo and they fire in the direction you swing so no need to move the right stick like a crazy person.
With potions you can either drink them or throw them, they're thrown with the right stick and drank with the action button. (X for the Xbox)

The Levels

The levels are very colourful, nice to look at and fun to play through, although the levels do seem a bit repetitive but still very replayable.
The levels range from the forest, a castle made of candy, a bit of country side and some smaller castles, jack's beanstalk and the Giant's house in the clouds.
They are all the same thing in the end, pass the level by killing things and avoid traps but how it's done is rather fun.

Boss Fights

The boss fights are fun but they are very repetitive, dodge attacks, kill any enemies that are helping the boss and then attack the weak spot, repeat until it's dead.
The boss fights were creative and how they die is humorous but the above cycle I mentioned just sucked the fun out of them.

Tools OF Death

The game has over 140 different weapons ranging from a rolled up newspaper, a candy cane, chainsaw, watering can and even the wooden Spoon Of Destruction. Some of the weapons are humorous and you know how badass the next fight will be when you pick up a scythe.

The Camera

The camera angles sometimes make it hard to keep track of your character but then again, you're fanatically ripping people to shreds so you don't really need to sometimes.
However, sometimes when you slash an enemy in half the game uses the other side of the screen to do a close up, which to be honest is more annoying then cool especially in co-op when the other player(s) can't see where they are because of it.

The Multiplayer

Which leads me to the co-op / versus.
The co-op is a great way to make the game more fun, pushing your "friends" into traps or off ledges and friendly trash talking in general is a good laugh.
For example in one of the early levels there's this bridge that you can raise to reach a ledge, what me and this other guy would do was raise it so the 3rd player couldn't get across!

The Versus mode is pretty simple too, kill the other guy(s) like you would any other enemy.

BLOOD!

You're able to spill a lot of blood in the game and even slide through it!
There are 3 achievements associated with the blood spilling: Spill 10,000 gallons of it, Slide through X amount of feet through it and slide continuously for 3 minutes.
Sliding through the blood is fun and a humorous way to circle enemies but the last achievement I mentioned (slide for 3 minutes) made it a chore and sucked the fun out of it for a while.

Death And Riches

You have unlimited lives but you lose money when you die.
Money is used to make wishes at wishing wells and to upgrade your statue.

My opinion

I think the game is very good but not perfect.
But then again, what game is perfect?
It's repetitive but replayable at the same time. (I have no idea either)
The multiplayer is a great laugh!
The cut scenes can be very humurous.

Good review, but I have a couple of complaints:

It is not flowing enough. Instead of dividing it up into really short sections with only a couple of sentences, try to make the review in one single section. Write it more like you would write a story.

Also, pictures with funny text, or just pictures in general, is always a good thing. It shows of graphics and how the game looks when you play it.

Don't give a number-score. This is of course up to you, but it's kinda tacky, and all it does is it makes people compare your score on this to another game. Your own opinion on it will be fine, you don't have to put it in numbers.

Other than that, it was a good read.

EDIT: Ah, now you have pictures. It makes the review more colorful. I like it better now.

HUBILUB:
Good review, but I have a couple of complaints:

It is not flowing enough. Instead of dividing it up into really short sections with only a couple of sentences, try to make the review in one single section. Write it more like you would write a story.

Also, pictures with funny text, or just pictures in general, is always a good thing. It shows of graphics and how the game looks when you play it.

Don't give a number-score. This is of course up to you, but it's kinda tacky, and all it does is it makes people compare your score on this to another game. Your own opinion on it will be fine, you don't have to put it in numbers.

Other than that, it was a good read.

Good idea on the score thing.
I'll probably put up pictures in a second if I can find good ones.

I must partly agree with HUBILUB's assessment.
Your review is concise: Short and sweet, kept to the point. It could to with a few more pictures, and some elaboration would be nice, perhaps throwing in a few more examples of your points.
Overall, a good review. Well done Teddy :P

Greyfox105:
I must partly agree with HUBILUB's assessment.
Your review is concise: Short and sweet, kept to the point. It could to with a few more pictures, and some elaboration would be nice, perhaps throwing in a few more examples of your points.
Overall, a good review. Well done Teddy :P

;_______; But you must fully agree!

HUBILUB:

Why would I do that? :P
You have no power over me!

I only partly agree. I don't think Teddy should do it as one big block of text, it is good divided up as it is, it just needs a bit more explanation on the points.

Greyfox105:

HUBILUB:

You have no power over me!

Good review i liked it.

I think you might need to put alittle more in some of the sections.

Such as "Levels". There is a huge picture and a small sentence. Work on things like that

IdealistCommi:

Such as "Levels". There is a huge picture and a small sentence. Work on things like that

There isn't really much more to say, I suppose I'll mention the variety in them.

Demented Teddy:

IdealistCommi:

There isn't really much more to say, I suppose I'll mention the variety in them.

Yes, that would work. Maybe mention how some of them are repetitive.

Demented Teddy:

IdealistCommi:

Yeah, see, now I have a problem with that section.

You say something positive about the levels, then something negative, and then positive, all in the same sentence. Maybe I'm just a picky prick, but that is a little bothersome. If you write like this instead:

The game have very colorful levels, nice to look at and fun to play through. They can get a little repetitive, but they still have replayability after you complete them.

Something like that anyway.

HUBILUB:

Demented Teddy:

IdealistCommi:

Yeah, see, now I have a problem with that section.

You say something positive about the levels, then something negative, and then positive, all in the same sentence. Maybe I'm just a picky prick, but that is a little bothersome. If you write like this instead:

The game have very colorful levels, nice to look at and fun to play through. They can get a little repetitive, but they still have replayability after you complete them.

Something like that anyway.

The thing is, they are fun but they are all very similer, that's what I mean.

I might pick this up now. Looks like the kind of thing that gets priced down quite quickly. You didn't mention the story and dialogue, though. I'm not even sure whether the characters speak normally or in Animal Crossing-ese. Is the story good? Well-written? I e level aesthetic?

Good review, though. Your first? I must get around to reviewing something.

samaritan.squirrel:
I might pick this up now. Looks like the kind of thing that gets priced down quite quickly. You didn't mention the story and dialogue, though. I'm not even sure whether the characters speak normally or in Animal Crossing-ese. Is the story good? Well-written? I e level aesthetic?

The characters don't talk, no one does in the game.
The story is simple as I've said: "Kill lots and lots and lots of stuff on your quest to regain fame.
and yes, my first review.

samaritan.squirrel:

I picked mine up for 14 quid off GAME after being forced painfully by Teddy >.>

Neosage:

samaritan.squirrel:

Did you notice I did what I mentioned in the multiplayer section?

Demented Teddy:

Neosage:

samaritan.squirrel:

Hur hur hur, very funny. Pick on Neosage cos he only just got the game, and stop him from getting across the bridge. ;_;

Me like. A bit short, but good.

Keep it up.

Neosage:

Demented Teddy:

Neosage:

samaritan.squirrel:

Hur hur hur, very funny. Pick on Neosage cos he only just got the game, and stop him from getting across the bridge. ;_;

Ok, I shall. ^^

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked