Furburts "Well, that's just your opinon, man." reviews: Grind Madness at the BBC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

NOTE: If you don't want to read it, at least listen to the youtube videos

Oooooooookay, this is my first 'proper' review.

I say that because my last two reviews (reviewing IdealistCommi and Sasquatch99 respectively)
got locked and I got put on probation for them.

Needless to say, I didn't do any more of them.

Anyway, I'm here today to review a gramaphone record (Okay, CD) that I was given as a present not 2 days ago.

That CD was:

Grind Madness At The BBC: The Earache Peel Sessions

In short, GMATBBC (I shall call it Grind for short)

is a 118 (!) track compilation of grindcore and other forms of Extreme metal, recorded in different sessions by the legendary John Peel in the late 80's.
It's could easily be described as the antithesis of everything the BBC was supposed to stand for.
And it's great.
No, I'm serious, it's actually really good if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway, the album starts of with The Kill by
Napalm Death and HOLY FUCK SHIT JESUS WOW!

This is barely fucking music! This is just anger put down on tape!

Okay, I suppose I'd better explain what Grindcore is for the untainted.

Grindcore is a form of Extreme Metal (some might say the first form of it) wherein the emphasis is based totally on anger and speed.
The drums pound furiously, unconstrained by any tempo known to man, pushing the boundaries of what is music.

The guitar and bass attempt to keep up, playing their own punishing riffs at almost the same speed as the drums, flailing furiously up the neck of the guitar.

The vocals are shouted and incomprehensible, but you know one thing, they're Pissed off.

It sounds like metal, but in form it's closer to experimental jazz (in fact, check out John Zorns Naked City for an...interesting combination of the two)

Perhaps the best exponent of this is Napalm Death, formed in 1981 but only really hitting their stride in 1985, with the addition of legendary guitarist Justin Broaderick, who we'll see more of.

If my description fails to accurately describe it, just listen to it in action.

Yeah.

Thankfully for everyone except your parents, Napalm Death are very well represented on this Compact Disk, garnering 34 of the 118 tracks on this album.
The Deaths tracks are quite short (in fact they hold the record for shortest "conventional" song, with You Suffer off their first LP Scum clocking in at 1.5 seconds)
so they don't outstay their welcome.

Other artists on the album include:

Extreme Noise Terror

Similar musically to Napalm Death, but with longer songs and a greater emphasis on riffs.

Infamous for their performance during the 1992 Brit awards with the KLF, where they caused a national scandal by firing blanks from a machine gun into the audience.
This was later rated #4 on NME's 'Top 100 rock moments'

Carcass

Famed for never really taking themselves seriously and releasing albums called 'Reek of Putrefaction' and having utterly revolting cover art. In their early days (when this was recorded) they were more grindcore (or goregrind, as they liked to call it) but in their later days they became more akin to death metal.
A vital precursor to things like the later work of Cannibal Corpse.
They disbanded in 2008

Bolt Thrower

Taking their lyrics and name from Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, this band is not as heavy as the others, but shows much greater use of texture and style, making their impact just as hard.

Heresy

A very interesting mix of hardcore punk a la Minor Threat and standard Grindcore.
They disbanded soon after making this recording, sadly.

Intense Degree

Probably the least known of all the bands on this compilation.
A lot more traditional metal and punk then the others, though that's not saying much.

Unseen Terror

A short lived band, who's most notable achievement was this recording.
Very good overall, but too similar to the others to make an impact.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, all of these are very good generally, but the absolute standout on this compilation is none other then Justin Broadericks legendary:

Godflesh

Yes, Godflesh. Always lumped in with Grindcore crowd despite being closer
]image

to industrial metal, they were perhaps one of the best bands of the late 80's in my opinion, and their 1990 debut album, Streetcleaner, is widely regarded as legendary. And rightly so.

They contribute only a measly 4 tracks to the compilation, but each of these hits so hard that any more would be impossible to stomach.

All of their tracks are brilliant, but the two that imprint on your memory are the absolutely brutal Pulp and Like Rats.
Pulp is a slow burner, but by the middle of the song with the deranged saxophone work by Kevin Martin and Justin Broaderick shouting 'DISCIPLINE!' it's impossible to be anything other than blown away.

If you must do one thing reading this review, listen to these songs.

VOLUME UP!!

The TL:DR

In short, Grind is one of the best compilations I've ever had the privilege to listen to.
I would recommend it to any seasoned grindcore fans, but they probably have it already.

However, if any of you are tired of Lady Ga Ga and The Arctic Monkeys and want to jump straight into extreme music at the deep end, this is a hell of a good place to start.

Grind is available on iTunes store for 11.99 and can be found in most reasonably alternative music stores.

Yes.... iTunes, that's where I'll head right away... NOT

Hubilub:

I wouldn't have thought of you as the grindcore type.

I guess you're joking.

Furburt:

Hubilub:

I guess you're joking.

Are you kidding me? Incoherent yelling and beating on things is what defines my life!

Hubilub:

Are you kidding me? Incoherent yelling and beating on things is what defines my life!

Oh. Good!

They wouldn't have it around here unfortunately. Like most of the stuff I like I'd have to order it online :[

Good review though. I'm not a huge fan of 80's metal with a few exceptions like Savatage and Slayer.

If I can remind myself at some point I'll definitely pick this up.

Hardly need to say that John Peel was a legend. I was listening to some of his old festive fifty shows and it surprised me how bad they were as a sample of his shows. Not so much of this stuff at all. I think that a lot of his listeners just rolled their eyes and said "oh john, there he goes, at it again" when he played the latest underground metal or techno tracks and waited patiently for the next wedding present single.

More Fun To Compute:
I think that a lot of his listeners just rolled their eyes and said "oh john, there he goes, at it again" when he played the latest underground metal or techno tracks and waited patiently for the next wedding present single.

Yeah, but for underground music lovers before the internet, it was a godsend.

I liked the review although I'm not into metal that is that Heavy and angry sounding I'm more of a casual listener of that ti=ype but I'll defintely look up some of the bands.

Good review everything wasn't lumped into a single paragraph, use of picture and videos, colour also making it easy and nice to read.

'MULTI- NATIONAL - CORPOR- ATIONS!

FEEDING - ON THE - STARVING - NATIONS!'

Napalm death make me feel goooood. Man those crash cymbals are a bit loud in the mix though...

Great review my man, great review.

The Death, Bolt Thrower, Godflesh and mother fucking godly Carcass all on the one CD...

I want.

Furburt:

Hubilub:

I guess you're joking.

If you highlight over what he said he says NOT! at the end :)

More Fun To Compute:
Hardly need to say that John Peel was a legend. I was listening to some of his old festive fifty shows and it surprised me how bad they were as a sample of his shows. Not so much of this stuff at all. I think that a lot of his listeners just rolled their eyes and said "oh john, there he goes, at it again" when he played the latest underground metal or techno tracks and waited patiently for the next wedding present single.

Yeah, good thing he wasn't a music snob like them then.

Glademaster:

Good review everything wasn't lumped into a single paragraph, use of picture and videos, colour also making it easy and nice to read.

Yeah, the first draft was a bit wall of texty.

miracleofsound:

I want.

And it can be your right now for the low low price of 11.99!

Terms and conditions may apply all transactions are regulated by the financial regulator

Furburt:

miracleofsound:

I want.

Terms and conditions may apply all transactions are regulated by the financial regulator

It's funny listening to the early Carcass stuff and seeing how far Michael Amott changed musically by the time Arch Enemy rolled along.

I prefer Carcass a lot, though Angela Gossow is a badass (and kinda hot)

miracleofsound:

Furburt:

miracleofsound:

I want.

It's funny listening to the early Carcass stuff and seeing how far Michael Amott changed musically by the time Arch Enemy rolled along.

I prefer Carcass a lot, though Angela Gossow is a badass (and kinda hot)

I don't really like late Carcass much.

I don't really like Death Metal, much more of a grindcore type.

Furburt:
[

Does you Pig Destroyer? Or does you Cephalic Carnage?

miracleofsound:

Furburt:
[

Does you Pig Destroyer? Or does you Cephalic Carnage?

Not really. I dunno why, but you can pretty much pin my grindcore likings down to the artists on this CD.

I just prefer the early stuff.
Although John Zorns stuff is amazing as well.

I like my Metal...

But this, good sir, sounds like shit.

<_<;

That first track was as if someone took 3 different metal albums, played them all simultaneously through a wall of speakers, ate those speakers, and then shat them out at high velocity. Though if you like that sort of thing then who am I to judge?

Saw an article on this in Metal Hammer. Looks like John Peel was even more of a legend than I thought!

miracleofsound:

More Fun To Compute:

Yeah, good thing he wasn't a music snob like them then.

Maybe not in the same way. One thing about the festive fifties that the listeners voted for is that he would often comment about how he didn't remember playing some particular track or how he had to borrow it from someone else as he didn't have a copy.

Tears of Blood:
I like my Metal...

But this, good sir, sounds like shit.

<_<;

Yes. And that is why it is brilliant.

a very intresting insight into a genre and culture I would never have dared to look into myself

Kudos

I do not like this stuff, however. I prefer Swing and stuff. I guess I'm just far too happy.

But thanks for letting me know what the hell was going on with these folks

Anaal Nathrak's a pretty decent band too.

also koldbrann owns black metal:

God listen at that bad ass drummin'!

Meh, its alright I guess. Not my style. Still, nice review.

AWAR:

Pretty good track, but the drums almost sound like a semantron. Though I guess that just adds to the irony.

AWAR:
Anaal Nathrak's a pretty decent band too.

also koldbrann owns black metal:

Dayam. That some good music.

AbundantRedundancy:

AWAR:

The drums sound like a semantron.

But they are awesome

AWAR:
But they are awesome

That they are.

Nice review. Its been a good while since i listened to this kind of stuff and now i think i'm going to see if there's anything good been released in the last few years

Solid review. A bit off structure wise that made it look a bit odd, but the writing was engaging and in a familiar tone.

Alright, I'll buy that for a dollar.

Tears of Blood:
Alright, I'll buy that for a dollar.

11.99 actually.

I wouldn't pay tha tmuch for even a handjob.

Tears of Blood:
I wouldn't pay tha tmuch for even a handjob.

You're the reason the economies in tatters!

Damn. I haven't heard any grindcore in a long time. I'm gonna go dig up my copy of Scum

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked