Sassafrass, VaudeVillianVeteran and pimppeter2: 'Their Scrubs Review' now with Season 9

Note: This review is a team effort between myself and VaudevillianVeteran. I shall review Seasons 6-8 while Vaude will do 1-5 as I have not seen the majority of them.pimppeter has added Season 9 for us. Any TL;DR post will result in a report. I'm not joking, either.

Welcome to the only review of Scrubs to be found on the Escapist thus far. Which is surprising as this show is generally well liked around here.
The way this will work is Vaude and I will sum up each season then at the end, tell you guys what we think of that season and recommend you the best episodes from that season. Yes, it is a bit long but it is needed. You can't review this show as a whole easily.

'Is there anyway you can annoy me today by being nowhere near me?' J.D to the Janitor, who respects that wish.

Scrubs follows the life of one Doctor John Dorian (or J.D) around the fictional hospital of Sacred Heart and his life inside and outside of the hospital. The show features a lot of comedy over it's 8 seasons but also features drama that has made me on occasions tear up and nearly cry. Yes, I am a man, shut up! It balances the comedy and drama amazingly well for a show of this type. Many shows cock up either the comedy, drama or both at the same time massively, like some mime who is miming the killing of a small puppy using a real sledge hammer and a kitten. Scrubs however, seems to balance it just right. For an example of this is the episode "My Last Words" which made me tear up.

Man tears?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Now, onto the individual seasons reviews. Here is VaudeVillianVeteran with Seasons 1 to 5.

That's okay Sas. Let out those man-tears.
And now, for the less charismatic, reviewer of the duo to take over:

Season One

The first season of Scrubs opens with Jonathan 'J.D' Dorian, Elliot Reid and Christopher 'Turk's first year as interns at Sacred Heart Hospital. The series will mainly focus on J.D however. The fresh-faced interns are introduced to life in the hectic and often interesting hospital. This season is mainly about the three coming to terms with working in a real hospital and dealing with the new found issues that come with being in charge of lives.
We're also introduced to the other staff of Sacred Heart:
We have level-headed Latina Head Nurse, and almost mother figure, Carla Espinosa,
The sarcastic and bitter Sr. Attending Physician Perry Cox who unwillingly becomes appointed as J.D's mentor,
The Janitor, who takes great joy at making J.D's life miserable, and has traumatized him against pennies,
And who can forget Dr. Bob Kelso? Chief of Medicine and if I may quote him- 'What has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Bob Kelso! How ya doin'.'
Also worth a mention is, Jordan, Dr. Cox's ex-wife who is as sarcastic and harsh as he is, Down-spirited lawyer Ted Buckland, and sexual deviant, scalpel-jockey Todd Quinland.

J.D is a typical conscientious and nerdy guy who has best intentions at heart even though he's thrown back at the drastic environment at first. The first recurring joke we see is J.D's imaginative and often hilarious fantasies and we see his take on whatever situation they're in.

From the moment he tilts his head, you know that he's gone- "HOLY INFERIORITY COMPLEX, BATMAN!"

By the end of the year, All three interns come to terms with the fact that all of their patients will die when they each treat charismatic patients who end up passing away (My old lady) They also learn that they won't be able to make everybody in the hospital happy at the same time, especially Dr.Kelso's strict financial rules and Dr.Cox's responsibility to the patients' health.
They leave their internship ready for anything.

Season Two

No longer interns J.D, Turk and Elliot feel more confident in their abilities as doctors. Still reluctantly helping them through their problems is Dr.Cox, as the Janitor and Dr. Kelso make things difficult for them, as usual. Relationships come and go for some characters, but the relationship between Turk and Carla grows stronger, while the possible relationship between J.D and Elliot that started in the first season is shaky and always changing.

Notable episodes from this season include 'His Story', which is the first of many to take the limelight away from J.D and fixate on one of the main cast, this time around is a better look inside the mind of Dr. Cox. This episode included Turk's public proposal to Carla. It's truly heart-warming.

'Honk for Love!'

Also 'My Dream Job' should be noted, purely because we finally see Dr. Cox punch Kelso in face.
This season was an excellent build up on characters established from the first series and rarely lacked comedically nor dramatically.

Season Three

It's a whole new year for the staff of Sacred Heart Hospital as neurotic Elliot undergoes a complete makeover in an attempt to change her luck. She and J.D test the waters again to see if they have a future being together, while Turk and Carla get married. All the while, Dr.Cox must deal with everyone around him including Kelso and Jordan and the Janitor keeps up his old habit of making J.D.'s life tough.
Notable episodes this time around are 'My Dirty Secret' which includes the amusing problem involving Elliot and her incapability to say medical terms for her patients' *ahem*, 'bajingos and peeps'.
'My Porcelain God' involves gurney surfing. All I will say, is that it is bitchin'.
Also, Turk gets his own focused episode in 'His Story II', where he's coming to terms with almost getting married.
But through this season we also see the man-tear bringing episode 'My Screw Up', proving that although Scrubs does well at comedy, it's also extremely successful at being dramatic.

'Drama five!'

Season Four

When Turk and Carla return from their honeymoon, things are still rough between J.D and Elliot, whom he recently embarrassingly dumped. A new doctor, Molly Clock, arrives at Sacred Heart for a short time and everybody likes her. J.D and Elliot compete for the title of Chief Resident and are both named Co-Chiefs.
Notable episodes include 'My First Kill' where J.D and the other staff consider all the patients that have passed under their care.
The episode 'My Cake' involves J.D getting over the death of his father which involves the rare moments where Janitor and Dr. Cox are nice to him.
'My Quarantine' entails the staff being stuck in the hospital in lock-down.
'Her Story' which fixates on Elliot as she takes Molly Clock as her mentor.
This season has a few episodes involving reminiscence between the characters as they look over their best moments and worst moments at one point. We also see J.D getting back into the dating scene after breaking up with Elliot again. This season is focused on relationships and that J.D and the others are finally getting some authority as they begin teaching interns.

Season Five

J.D's, Elliot's and Turk's fifth year brings exciting events and original people. New interns arrive, one of whom becomes the love interest of Elliot, and the rival of J.D. Emotions must be separated if professional relationships are to be sustained. The existence of a urologist at Sacred Heart becomes very important to J.D, as his relationships with mentors get put into perspective. Additionally Turk and Carla try for a baby and Elliot begins to work at a free clinic after moving to another hospital.
Notable episodes include 'My Day at the Races' where J.D believes he has not accomplished much with his life and chooses to run a triathlon, this culminates badly as J.D hadn't done any training before hand.
'My Way Home' simply because of this scene:

'...Did you eat my mango body butter?'

Also, we have Her Story II, which focuses on Carla's want to be pregnant. A recurring theme this time around seems to be about maturity. Turk is getting used to the idea that he will soon be a father while J.D is trying to find a way to affirm his really-non-existent maturity and Elliot is trying to find stability in her life as she moves from job to job.

Thank you Vaude for that. Now, onto my reviews of Seasons 6-8.

Season 6

J.D, Elliot's and Turks sixth year at Sacred Heart sees them mature to fill the rolls that are required off them. Turk and Carla are become parents after Carla gives birth to a baby girl named Izzy and Carla struggles to cope with the added pressure . Elliot's relationship with Keith Dudemeister, the intern she met in Season 5, takes moves up to a whole new level as marriage is mentioned between them. Dr.Cox struggles with family life as he struggles to stop his foul disposition affecting his parenting. J.D finds love with a new Doctor, one Dr. Kim Briggs. J.D also has a bombshell dropped on him when Kim reveals she is pregnant with his child pretty soon after meeting him.

'Your conscience: It will never be as funny looking as J.D's.

Episodes to take note of include 'My Best Friend's Baby's Baby and My Baby's Baby' which focuses on Turk and Carla as baby Izzy comes into the world.
'My Musical' is also a good episode where the entire cast break into song in the second half of the episode which brings something new to the show and showcases their talents.
''My No Good Reason' and 'My Long Goodbye' are another example of the mixture of comedy and drama. The first episode of a two parter shows us Dr.Cox and Laverne, a fellow nurse, arguing over whether everything happens for a reason. At the end of the episode, Dr.Cox lets the group know that Laverne is in a coma after a car crash and non-responsive. The second episode then shows us how the group come to terms with the fact she may never come out of the coma. Needless to say, more man tears flowed.

Season 7

J.D's, Elloit and Turks seventh year begins and the focus here is that they need to grow up now they have responsibilities. J.D now has to focus more on his parental responsibilities now as Kim has given birth to Sam, his son. Turk grows closer to Carla over the season, Dr.Cox gets a temporary promotion, Dr. Kelso has to come with terms with his forced retirement and The Janitor gets himself a girlfriend.

The notable episodes for me is 'My Inconvenient Truth' which shows J.D's childish side when he breaks a cars windshield. The car was bought for him by his brother who J.D believes is supposed to be the 'The family screw up' and this prompts his brother to tell him he needs to 'Grow up'. J.D does later on and then takes his brother to see his son. And 'My Princess' which passes narration over to Dr.Cox who is telling his son a bed time story. It focuses on his day at Sacred Heart but he makes it into a fairy tale about J.D and Elliot's romance.

'My name is Percival Cox. You're killing my friend. Prepare to die.

Season 8

J.D, Elliot and Turk enter their eight year. J.D is entering his last year at Sacred Heart, as is Elliot. J.D and Elliot have got back together and are moving in together and moving to be closer to J.D's son. Dr Kelso's replacement arrives and makes big sweeping changes, ruffling Dr.Cox's feathers. The Janitor and his girlfriend get married, Turk is promoted to Head of Surgery and Dr.Cox gets another promotion later on in the season. Oh and Ted finally gets himself a girlfriend. We also get introduced to new characters Denise, Sunny and
Notable episodes include 'My Last Words' in which J.D and Turk cancel their 'bro-mance' night and comfort an old man and help him face up to death. It is another example of how Scrubs can do emotional scenes and comedy at the same time.
'My Finale' shows us J.D as he leaves Sacred Heart for the last time. He worries that must of his expectations will not match up on the final day. He does, however, get the thing he's always craved. A hug from Dr.Cox.

'Elliot, I love you more then Turk.' 'Wow.'

Now onto the recommendations! By both me and Vaude, obviously.

Season One: What can I say? I liked this season mainly because it was the first season I watched. It introduced me to the characters, you got to know them by the end of the first season and it was difficult to say that you didn't at least know them a little bit. Of course, In hindsight after watching later seasons, you appreciate seeing where it all began. When you saw J.D enter the hospital for the first time, it was the first time you entered too. I have to say that watching the first season or at least the first episode is a good idea, because it's important to see where it all began. My recommended episodes from this season is: My First Day, My Fifteen Minutes and My Tuscaloosa Heart. All of which are most memorable to me.

Season Two: The season starts off on a tense note between the characters but smoothes into what I believe to be one of the funnier seasons. You get to know more and more about the three 'main' characters but also the rest of the staff. The music involved with this season is awesome, and I believe that it deserves a mention. Well, often the music involved with Scrubs is good, but i'm getting off subject. It follows on from what had happened through out of the first season and had some genuinely funny episodes. No qualms from me here!
My recommendations: My Overkill, His Story (Yes, I know I mentioned it again, what can I say? I like this one), and My Big Mouth (Want a reason? Involves the Janitors famous words- Fork! Me can't eat soup!)

Season Three:
I'm not too sure why, but I didn't like this season too much. Not as much as the others at least, sure it was funny and a few of the episodes really got me, but nothing all that interesting sticks in my mind apart from a few select episodes. By all means this is as I said before a 'season which demonstrates that Scrubs does well with comedy and excels at drama too', although I do not have a particular fondness for this season, I think that remains one of the reasons to watch this season.
My recommended: My Dirty Secret, My Butterfly and My Porcelain God.

Season Four:
Truthfully, I believe not too much happens in this season. We get a brief visit from Molly Clock in this season who becomes Elliot's mentor, Turk and Carla return from their honeymoon and Janitor gains a crush on Elliot. All while J.D dabbles with relationships. There is however a drunken accident that shakes things up momentarily towards the end of the season, but I shan't spill any more details than that.
My recommendations: My Cake, My Unicorn and My Lips Are Sealed.

Season Five:
This is probably my favourite season because it has many hilarious episodes. I whole-heartedly recommend this season as we see such things as- J.D and Turk being attacked by ostriches, Janitor demonstrating the Drill-Fork, Knife-Wrench and The Ink-straw, Dr. Cox issuing man cards to J.D and Elliot's mango body butter being eaten. Although drama is not too plentiful this time around, there are still serious moments as always.
My Recommendations: My Big Bird, My intern's Eyes and My Fallen Idol

Season 6:
Out of all the seasons I have seen fully, I feel this was the best I've seen as it mixes in comedy and drama into one big cauldron of funniness. We get Keith Dudemeister, whose last name is just awesome and apparently means 'Master of Dudes' as Elliot's new love interest. We also get to see how well J.D copes with being a potential father as well and all appearances by the supporting staff are good and not too 'tacked on' meaning they actually are there for a reason.
My Recommendations: 'My Long Goodbye', 'My No Good Reason' and 'My Musical'

Season 7:
This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the worst season of Scrubs. It doesn't have many great comedy moments, nothing at all memorable to remember it by, except Dr.Coxs line "My name is Percival Cox. And you are killing my friend. Prepare to die." This can be blamed, in part, on a writers strike that happened during the filming of that season but that cannot be used to justify the reason it flopped. Some of the acting was poor and the cast just didn't seem all that into it. A poor showing.
My Recommendations: My Inconvenient Truth and My Princess

Season 8:
Billed as the last season, they had to make sure, if it was, it went out on a high. And they succeeded. The cast were back on form after the travesty of Season 7 and were back to their best. The drama and comedy mix came back stronger then the last season but it wasn't as good as Season 6, even though it did make me have another man cry this time.
My Recommendations: My Finale and My Last Words.

And now, as an added bonus, pimppeter has gladly done a review of Season 9 for me and Vaude.
We shall thank him later.

Season 9

(Almost Half way through?)

Even though Scrubs had officially ended at season 8, the show continued from the sheer determination of the Broadcasters not to let their new Golden gal out of the play pen. Season 9 shifts from the hospital to the classroom and make med-school professors of Dr. Cox and Turk. Much of the old cast drops out due to prior commitments, and it hits hard on the show. Especially the drop of Zach Braff's "JD", the aforementioned protagonist of the show. However the real only cast member that never makes an appearance and is only mentioned in passing is Carla. Still, getting over that initial bump we find the same old heart warming scrubs.

The season begins with J.D returning to a new and improved Sacred Heart. Which has been remolded into a Medical School, but still retains its hospital facility. J.D comes to teach a few classes, and at the same time transition the whole show into its new format. With him join the Dr. Cox and Dr. Turk, the now Chief of Medicine and Chief of Surgery, as well as Bob Kelso.

You can't expect me to give up scrubs Cole turkey

Denise returns (one of the old interns) as a faculty advisor, and with her own fresh new batch of Med Students. Our 'new' star is Kerry Bishé playing Lucy, a golden hearted and naïve girl, who quickly becomes friends with JD as he passes on his role to her. Even though Lucy is the narrator of the show, she is divided in screen time with Michael Mosley as Drew, a 30-year old med student trying to get a second chance after flipping titties and dropping out. Along with Dave Franco as Cole, a charming, confidently stupid and incredibly entitled medical student, 'frat boy esque' one could say. (Probably my favorite new character) As well as the rest of their non important class. A worth mention goes to 'Australian girl' who "too pretty to be a doctor" and is constantly ridiculed by Cox for her looks and accent.

As I mentioned before Cox (Doctor Professor Cox that is) and Turk show up as the new mentors of the show. They play a big role in guiding the newbies in their first year as med students. Just for reference, they kind of play the role that Cox did in the original 8 series, meaning they aren't on screen at all times, but still have a heck load of time.

Scrubs has definitely gone back to its roots, and people smart enough to get over that initial "its not exactly the same" will find themselves rewarded with the same old Scrubs they know and love. With that said, I leave with "Dr. Coxies extra Foxy" and "Toot toot tootie, Dr Turks a cutie" which some of you will find out the meaning of later.

Recommendations: Our Mysteries, Our White Coats, Our Couples

Noteworthy: Elliot is 7 month pregnant. (Not a spoiler because it's the first line of the first episode)

Pimp out.

Overall, if you have never watched Scrubs, at least give it a try. Yes, you may dislike but you will never know till you try it. If you are unsure on it, look up the episodes me, Vaude and pipmpeter2 recommended and watch them to see if they can swing you. And if you like/love like we two do, you'll not care as this review will probably be as much help to you as a kitten rescuing you from a fire.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it.
Criticism is welcomed again.
Huge thanks to VaudeVillianVeteren for the help she gave me. It would still being written now if it wasn't for her.
Thanks to pimppeter2 for Season 9.
Please forgive any BBCode muck ups, if any are seen, quote it or PM me with the part that has gone wrong and I'll fix it as soon as.

A truly great review. Thank you, Sasquatch99 and VaudevillianVeteran.

EDIT: And thank you, pimppeter2.

Well you got me hooked on it already
now to figure out what channel it is on

Great review. I will come back tomorrow to post of any of the smaller mistakes.

And I fucking love the show.

Very impressive! I think you nailed the essence of the show perfectly! I wish you could've spent more time with the 'secondary' characters but I understand the desire (paranoia?) to stay out of tl;dr territory. Good job, sport(s)!

Great job. I liked the way SAS kind of did a synopsis while VV did more critique.

Also, I changed my avatar to match your review. (Actually I just thought it looked badass)

But no mention of Season 9?" I know its not out yet in your region but still, its pretty fucken good!

EDIT:

Any TL;DR post will result in a report. I'm not joking, either.

Hmm... That would work better than my 'If you post Tl:DR I will flip tities'

pimppeter2:
Great job. I liked the way SAS kind of did a synopsis while VV did more critique.

Also, I changed my avatar to match your review. (Actually I just thought it looked badass)

But no mention of Season 9?" I know its not out yet in your region but still, its pretty fucken good!

Well, would you like to add it?
And then I can drag in more people seeing as your name is on it.

Sasquatch99:

pimppeter2:

Well, would you like to add it?
And then I can drag in more people seeing as your name is on it.

Heh, sure. I'll write it up now. (No more than 30 mins top)

Great review, although I picked up a mistake.

thereview:
Season 8:
Billed as the last season, they had to make sure, if it was, it went out on a high. And they succeeded. The cast were back on form after the travesty of Season 8 and were back to their best.

Wizzie:
Great review, although I picked up a mistake.

thereview:
Season 8:
Billed as the last season, they had to make sure, if it was, it went out on a high. And they succeeded. The cast were back on form after the travesty of Season 8 and were back to their best.

Ah. Thanks for that. To the edit mobile! *Batman scene change music*

I think I did something I wasn't expecting.

Note* Yeah, it's passé. Sue me.

Anyway, I liked the review. I'm trying to find the Scrubs dvds...If only it wasn't midnight!

By the way, how could we tl:dr on that review? It's simple and well divided.

Is good yes?

Anyway, very much enjoyed the trifecta of reviews on display here, heres to more in the future!

I'd been wondering how Season 9 would turn out...

Random Argument Man:
I think I did something I wasn't expecting.

Note* Yeah, it's passé. Sue me.

Anyway, I liked the review. I'm trying to find the Scrubs dvds...If only it wasn't midnight!

By the way, how could we tl:dr on that review? It's simple and well divided.

Thank you for the strange compliment. I'll pass it on.
And the TL;DR thing will be on any of my reviews over 4 Word pages long. I hate it when you spend ages writing stuff and someone pops up and goes 'TL;DR'. I've seen it a few times on older reviews when I joined.

Great review. I agree for the most part but I found series 6 to be pretty lacklustre. I'm also disappointed at the lack of a mention for My Lunch but meh, it's your opinions.

Wow, really great review, guys!

I still have 3 Seasons to go, still at Season 5 which I have mashed up feelings for because sometimes I laughed my ass of while other times, I was searching for the jokes..
Well, I will see what I will think about Season 7.

Didn't really had an favourite by the way, I though the first four were good. (Even though Cox punching Kelso was pure win!)

Btw: Noob Question: What means TL;DR?

Dr. Wily III:
Wow, really great review, man!

I still have 3 Seasons to go, still at Season 5 which I have mashed up feelings for because sometimes I laughed my ass of while other times, I was searching for the jokes..

Didn't really had an favourite by the way, I though the first four were good. (Even though Cox punching Kelso was pure win!)

It means Too Long; Didn't Read.
And don't forget to thank VaudeVillianVeteren and pimppeter2 as well. They helped a lot.

Sasquatch99:

Dr. Wily III:
Wow, really great review, man!

It means Too Long; Didn't Read.
And don't forget to thank VaudeVillianVeteren and pimppeter2 as well. They helped a lot.

Yeah, right, sorry.

Great review all of you!

I honestly wasn't expecting a review like this until Season 9 was over. Even so, I'd say you three did a good job. The only complaint I might have (if you could call it that) is that there could have been more Janitor mentions in it (especially the "Evil Eye"). Then again, it's not too vital to the overall story. I'll say it again; good review.

Nice I will always love scrubs and have never met someone who did'nt like this show.

My brother got me season 7 on DVD for christmas and I have to agree it is the worst season except I liked the space invaders part.

BTW thanks for telling me about season 9.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked