Sassafrass Reviews: Black Sheep (2007)

Note: Any TL;DR posts shall be, as usual, dealt with a click of the 'Report' button. Also, I shall try my best to refrain from putting the words 'sheep' and any variation of the word 'intercourse' together. If I follow that up by including the word 'Welsh' I swear to my God, David Tennant, it wasn't intentional. Well, it was a little. For I'm a baa-stard like that.

Black Sheep. What can I say about this movie? It has pretty much everything a teenager wants from a movie. Gore, humour, zombie type creatures, slight hints towards bestiality and an ridiculous amount of set-ups for jokes that I shall have to sidestep in this review due to the offensive nature of them. So if that's what you wanted to see in this review, you shall have to make up you own ones while reading, I'm sorry to say. But does what I point out above make it any good? Let us find out.

*Insert The Imperial March music from the Star Wars movies here*

Now, first things first, sheep jokes involving the Welsh the plot of the film.
It focuses on Henry Oldfield (played by Nathan Meister), his brother Angus Oldfield (Peter Feeney) and the farm that they grew up on as children. After a horrible prank that Angus plays on Henry when they are kids, which involves killing a sheep and wearing it's skin, Henry develops a phobia of sheep or to give it it's proper name, ovinophobia. Many years later, Henry returns to the farm to sell his share of the farm to Angus. Meanwhile, two hippies called Grant (Oliver Driver) and Experience (Danielle Mason) are trying to steal some thing from a top secret lab. They succeed but unwittingly unleash a mutant lamb, which has been genetically modified to turn anything it bites into a blood thirsty creature. And of course, someone, Grant, get's bitten by this lamb.

Ah, hippies. Always fooling around with animals. No, wait! Not that type of fooling.

Meanwhile, Henry meets Tucker ( Tammy Davis) who is a worker on the farm. Together, they get taken 'hostage' by Experience, who meets them after they try to move a single sheep for their path. They eventually get along and head back to the farm after seeing smoke pouring from the building. This is where the fun begins and leads to the revelations that I cannot put here for they shall spoil the movie for you. And I don't really want to have spoilers for anything in any reviews I write. Just a personal thing. I shall say however that the story is actually a good idea. Taking sheep, natures least likely animal to go mad and attack people and turning them into zombie type creatures is a good and pretty original idea for me. It is a nice twist on the usual 'OMG ZOMBIES!!!' movies and is a pretty entertaining and solid plot, albeit with a few fleas.

Now, we shall review the movies comedic nature without resorting to using the words 'Wales', 'sheep' or any variation of the word 'intercourse' at all. If I do, you may all kick me in the e-unmentionables. Or more then likely, giggle at them. Like the last time someone saw them. I'll find you, Steve. Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes. The comedy of the film. Now, the comedy in this movie is highly dependant on hints of bestiality and your basic but 'funny for a teen' jokes like say, a character pretending to be a sheep then a sheep tries to do the 'horizontal monster mash'[1] If you get my meaning. If not, it means smex, m'kay?

Introducing Ewey Boll. I'll go now.

Now, looking at the non sheep based humour, I feel that the jokes are, well, tame to be honest with you. Nothing memorable jumps out at me at the time of writing this and to be honest, looking back the only thing I can remember that I found funny was the use of the 'Oh no, I stumbled and groped your boob by mistake' joke and when Grant tries to remove the genetically enhanced mutant lamb from his ear-lobe by head-butting a tree a few times. Oh, and the flying, not literally of course, killer sheep that appears towards the end of the movie and the sheep that can drive a truck. It will amuse you but it has nothing remarkable to write home or tell you friends about. Except for the flying sheep. That's just funnier then anything I have watched in the past year or so. Makes me wanna yell 'Banzai!' when I see it.

It's exactly what it looks like. Really. It is. He really is that sheep's boy friend.

Now, one of the stand out parts of the film for me. The costumes and Special FX, from hereon in known as SFX. Now, the outfits for the main characters are nothing special really, just your casual everyday work wear and for Angus, your normal everyday, casual, work suit. Where the outfits and SFX come into their own is when people start turning into giant mutant sheep and the sheep after they have gone zombie. The outfits themselves aren't the greatest thing to look at but this is what makes them so good and, to contradict my earlier statement, awesome looking. The ragged around the edge style just goes well with the nature of the film and adds to the comedy of it all.

Yeah, you see? Sheep: Not as innocent as you think.

Also, note must go out to the gory SFX. As you can see from the above picture, it is not as well done as most films and it seems a bit hashed but for this type of film, it just works. Anything more and the entire film would just feel and look like they focused on the gore and ignored the story and characters in favour of 'Look what we can do with twelve gallons of fake blood and a thingy that can squirt it everywhere!' which is what seems to happen in most movies of this type. Towards the end of the film, you can see the amount of work that has gone into making these gory FX and you can see that the special effect makers tried hard to make it seem realistic, yet as silly as possible, which fits in with the movie.

And onto my recommendation.

Black Sheep is a decent comedy/horror film but if you are looking for something that you want to scare the living daylights out of you, this is not the film for you. The horror is just too comedic and the zombie sheep are just too likeable to get scared about. If you are looking for a laugh and wish to go back to the times when you were immature and also aged 12, this film is the best bet for that. It's better then any of the Scary Movie films due to the fact it's, well, funny which Scary Movie isn't. Black Sheep is a decent attempt at a comedy/horror which is let down by the jokes not being memorable and forgettable but the idea behind the plot is pretty good and makes it worth a watch.

Thanks for reading.

As usual, friendly criticism is welcome.

[1] Sorry, Lambi. Just too good a phrase to not use. I'll send you money when I have some.

Was the horror element of Black Sheep meant to be taken seriously at all?

Anyway, great review. I loved this movie when I first saw it but I can't really remember more than one line from it looking back now. And don't forget to give Lambi that money. Your horrible puns are no match for mine.

A great review. And I'll be waiting patiently for that money.

Ready the torture devices if he doesn't bring it soon.

Freebird.:

Anyway, great review. I loved this movie when I first saw it but I can't really remember more than one line from it looking back now. And don't forget to give Lambi that money. Your horrible puns are no match for mine.

I doubt it very much.

And I'm glad someone else has seen this film.
And I'll remember to do that. And I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing that my bad puns aren't a match for yours.

Sounds like one of those B-movies that they try to do well, start failing, and then go towards comedy. If I ever get bored and feel like watching something Unusual i shall check it out, awaiting the flying sheep the entier movie.

If you need another weird movie to review, try Thankskilling, It's about some kind of Demonic Turkey.

Here's hoping your review of Guitar Gamer doesn't get you spammed with requests for reviews again.

Good job. I haven't actually seen this movie. To the interwebs!

FF XIII and Viva Pinata? You spoil us!

Pimppeter2:
Good job. I haven't actually seen this movie. To the interwebs!

FF XIII and Viva Pinata? You spoil us!

I know, I'm awful, aren't I?
The FF XIII review will probably kill me though. 4 discs? Dear God...But it will be worth it, I feel.

Sass, that was awesome. You really gave a good description of the feel of the movie. Very detailed without leaking spoilers, and a relatable writing style. Plus the humor (as always). You're getting pretty good at this. Be proud.

Nice review.

I also reccomend The Cottage with Reech Shearsmith and Andy Serkis.

I've seen this movie on tv, yet never bothered to sit down and watch it i may have to change that just to attempt to understand how this movie even works.

On a related note, what do you mean be TL;DR?

Demon ID:
I've seen this movie on tv, yet never bothered to sit down and watch it i may have to change that just to attempt to understand how this movie even works.

On a related note, what do you mean be TL;DR?

Too long, didn't read. I'm putting that warning on all my reviews as I don't want to put in hard work for a 5 character post.

Sassafrass:

Too long, didn't read. I'm putting that warning on all my reviews as I don't want to put in hard work for a 5 character post.

Ahhh thank you for informing me, and people actually post that?

It sounds like douchebaggery of the highest caliber.

I usually never read user reviews but this one was good. Great choice in movie to review too.

Demon ID:

Sassafrass:

When I first joined, it was rife in this section. Nearly every review had a TL;DR in it. Hence my warning up top.

quiet_samurai:
I usually never read user reviews but this one was good. Great choice in movie to review too.

Thanks.
And I'm surprised someone else has seen this movie. I thought it was a pretty obscure film and not many people knew of it but I have been proven wrong.

Sassafrass:

Demon ID:

Sassafrass:

When I first joined, it was rife in this section. Nearly every review had a TL;DR in it. Hence my warning up top.

quiet_samurai:

Thanks.
And I'm surprised someone else has seen this movie. I thought it was a pretty obscure film and not many people knew of it but I have been proven wrong.

I know, and when you tell someone about it they look at you like you're retarded or something. It's about sheep that eat people....come on....SHEEP THAT EAT PEOPLE! I actually own it.

quiet_samurai:

Sassafrass:

Demon ID:

Sassafrass:

quiet_samurai:

Thanks.

I know, and when you tell someone about it they look at you like you're retarded or something. It's about sheep that eat people....come on....SHEEP THAT EAT PEOPLE! I actually own it.

I didn't know I had it 'til I found it in a drawer. It was quite a good find, actually.
And my friends were all the same.

Freebird.:

no it isnt supposed to be scary. but this film is one of the reasons I am ashamed proud to be a new zealander.

Sassafrass:

quiet_samurai:

Sassafrass:

Demon ID:

Sassafrass:

quiet_samurai:

Thanks.

I didn't know I had it 'til I found it in a drawer. It was quite a good find, actually.
And my friends were all the same.

I live in new zealand. here it has been on tv 3 times (that I know of) and it had a big thing on the news. Oh and the actors in this movie are really great. the guy that plays tucker is in a tv series called outrageous fortune. if you can find it, try it out. its funny and serious at the same time.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked