Review: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (multiplayer demo)

Okay so I've been playing this demo for the last 4 hours straight and if one game mode on one level can hold me for that long I think that others should know about it.

Comparison to Battlefield Bad Company 1

In comparison to its predecessor a lot has improved. The gameplay has been tightened up but still retains the battlefield feel, I would suggest turning up the sensitivity to near maximum as other wise it feels as though your character weighs about 20 stone. Vehicles have been weakened so it's not the vehicle whoring fest that the first one was. They are mostly used for transportation and the handling is pretty solid, in fact riding the quad bike is hilarious as you can pull of slides and the like. However the helicopters are horrible to pilot, I've seen it done well so maybe I'm retarded but it's easier to crash than it is in GTA4 as you're given a frustrating first person view.

Comparison to MW2

The pace in Battlefield BC 2 is dramatically slower, running and gunning like a madman is next to impossible thanks to the lack of regenerating health. This may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint but I find it to be great as it makes the game a lot more tactical and levels out the playing field. The sniper scopes zoom in a lot more, there is no idle sway but they are no longer one hit kills unless you shoot a hole through their face and you now have to lead your shots if you're shooting from a long distance. On other guns the recoil is huge compared to MW2, encouraging burst firing if you're shooting from a long range so more skill is needed (yay). Oh and NO KILLSTREAKS which is absolutely awesome.

The Squad System

This is what makes the game (/demo) for me. There are squads of up to four that you can be invited into or you can join them randomly. This obviously makes it pretty hit and miss whether or not your squad will be any good but when it is good it is very good. The squad mates that are alive serve as mobile spawn points for the rest, meaning your squad is usually together, you can issue commands to your squad (not very well admittedly) which tell them which base to attack, you can mark out enemies for you squad, you get bonus points for getting an assist if a squad mate kills him and you get points for accomplishing objectives together.

My experiences with the squads have been varied. Sometimes everyone will be trying to 'lone wolf' it, which you can do easily in the Call of Duty series but you cannot in Battlefield BC 2. There have been games however, where everyone works together and it is a-fucking-mazing when this happens. In one particular match we had two recons (snipers) a medic and an engineer and we worked in two pairs. The other recon and I would take the high ground and littler the road with C4 for the incoming vehicles. The other two would distract the enemy while we shot them from behind. Keep in mind that this was done without the use of headsets so quite how we managed that was staggering.

Overall...

In conclusion I would highly reckomend this game, there's still 5 more days of the multiplayer demo left so there's still time to try it. It may not have the sharpness of most other modern shooters and it may be being paid for by EA but it's the most fun I've had on a multiplayer game since Uncharted 2's co-op mode. And this is only the demo.....

I tried it, and didn't really like it. But that's just me.
I guess I was expecting a pure FPS, and got a strategy game. I would just stick with CoD but the camping is so amazingly bad in that I think I might have a seizure over it...

Need a new FPS, soon...

Anyway, nice review. I agree about the helicopters. GTA got it right, there shouldn't be any shame in taking your cues from that series.
They get a lot right.

Same, i prefer it quite a lot, but i generally will be a recon covering my allies from the hill/constuction block, seeing as i've become what i feel almost-perfect with finding the correct height of firing to combat the gravity.

But sometimes i choose to go as Assault/Engineer for teh lulz and/or boredom

I played the demo for about 3 days until I got bored of the same old objectives and maps being replayed every match. The game will appeal to certain people but it really isn't for everyone. I did enjoy playing as an engineer quite a lot though.

Stranger of Sorts:
Okay so I've been playing this demo for the last 4 hours straight and if one game mode on one level can hold me for that long I think that others should know about it.

Comparison to Battlefield Bad Company 1

In comparison to its predecessor a lot has improved. The gameplay has been tightened up but still retains the battlefield feel, I would suggest turning up the sensitivity to near maximum as other wise it feels as though your character weighs about 20 stone. Vehicles have been weakened so it's not the vehicle whoring fest that the first one was. They are mostly used for transportation and the handling is pretty solid, in fact riding the quad bike is hilarious as you can pull of slides and the like. However the helicopters are horrible to pilot, I've seen it done well so maybe I'm retarded but it's easier to crash than it is in GTA4 as you're given a frustrating first person view.

Comparison to MW2

The pace in Battlefield BC 2 is dramatically slower, running and gunning like a madman is next to impossible thanks to the lack of regenerating health. This may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint but I find it to be great as it makes the game a lot more tactical and levels out the playing field. The sniper scopes zoom in a lot more, there is no idle sway but they are no longer one hit kills unless you shoot a hole through their face and you now have to lead your shots if you're shooting from a long distance. On other guns the recoil is huge compared to MW2, encouraging burst firing if you're shooting from a long range so more skill is needed (yay). Oh and NO KILLSTREAKS which is absolutely awesome.

The Squad System

This is what makes the game (/demo) for me. There are squads of up to four that you can be invited into or you can join them randomly. This obviously makes it pretty hit and miss whether or not your squad will be any good but when it is good it is very good. The squad mates that are alive serve as mobile spawn points for the rest, meaning your squad is usually together, you can issue commands to your squad (not very well admittedly) which tell them which base to attack, you can mark out enemies for you squad, you get bonus points for getting an assist if a squad mate kills him and you get points for accomplishing objectives together.

My experiences with the squads have been varied. Sometimes everyone will be trying to 'lone wolf' it, which you can do easily in the Call of Duty series but you cannot in Battlefield BC 2. There have been games however, where everyone works together and it is a-fucking-mazing when this happens. In one particular match we had two recons (snipers) a medic and an engineer and we worked in two pairs. The other recon and I would take the high ground and littler the road with C4 for the incoming vehicles. The other two would distract the enemy while we shot them from behind. Keep in mind that this was done without the use of headsets so quite how we managed that was staggering.

Overall...

In conclusion I would highly reckomend this game, there's still 5 more days of the multiplayer demo left so there's still time to try it. It may not have the sharpness of most other modern shooters and it may be being paid for by EA but it's the most fun I've had on a multiplayer game since Uncharted 2's co-op mode. And this is only the demo.....

First of all, I agree with a lot of your points. But I would also like to criticize your views if you don't mind.

I actually think that the vehicles are just as strong as before. The difference is that the game puts a lot more emphasis on infantry-based combat. You have so much more at your disposal to take out tanks, it's almost unfair. But by the same token, tanks and vehicles have a lot more counter incentives. For example, what isn't put in the demo is upgraded armor, anti-missile defense systems, etc. You get a suped up tank and the world will burn. Second point about the tanks is that, like everything else in BFBC2, they're more squad based. I've been in numerous matches where a light tank (not the T-90's, but usually the Bradley's) has pwn'd everyone in sight. I myself was in one and pinned the opposing team down, including two tanks, a UAV helicopter, and numerous people with RPG's, for nearly ten minutes before I was finally killed - and I was only killed because one lucky bastard got behind us and took out my mechanics.

The squad system I LOVE, but only because it's an improvement over BFBC1 (where it's arguable that they even had an actual squad system). Any "classic" battlefield player, or a battlefield fanboy (like myself) would tell you that it's still severely lacking. Compare it to the systems in BF1942, BF2, and even the lack-luster BF2142, and it feels completely amiss. Why can't we have 32 player battles at a minimum? Why can't there be commanders? Why can't they take a hint from MAG, who's only real selling point is the command system? Why can't they give their fanbase what they really want! (which is an updated version of BF2 based on the frost bite engine)

As for flying the helicopter's, it's just very different. Every Battlefield game has featured aerial vehicles, and every one of them is difficult to use. They do this on purpose though. Only those good enough deserve the best vehicles. Personally, I don't give a swat about heli's, because I just blow em out of the sky.

Although, I would advice you to learn on the helicopter UAV first. It's not the same, but some of the feel is similar.

However, like anything in Battlefield, it's a bit of a challenge to get used to. Tanks are easy in the demo because no one knows how to be a "tank commander", UAV's - which is arguably the most powerful vehicle in the game - are often overlooked, and those who've found that there are UAV's never use them because it's "boring", and (as you've found) coordination and team-play is essential to being the best soldier. Heck, my friend and I were the only people with mic's one afternoon and for four hours we alone led both teams and single-handed turned the tide in numerous battles.

The best thing about battlefield is that it's an ever evolving game, where the same map is never played the same way twice, and "battlefield moments" are a normality that never grow old. It's simply the best FPS.

Mimsofthedawg:
snip.

Good points, I was late to the Battlefield series so I haven't had a chance to try out the old squad systems. 'Battlefield moments' are indeed the reason I'm still playing the demo.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked