Cajun Dance Party: A Stranger's Music Review

The Colourful Life

By Cajun Dance Party

A Note from the Reviewer

Hello there, This is my third music review (I'll link the other two at the end of the post) Anyway I'm really enjoying this music reviewing habit of mine. It doesn't force you to be as critical as you can be with games so it allows me to waffle on about anything that is slightly relevant.

What will you get out of reading this? Well hopefully it will introduce you to some new music and also keep you entertained at the same time (isn't that lovely).

What's with all this formatting malarky? Well I simply pilfered the idea without permission from someone who goes by the name of domble.

On with the reviewing

Cajun Dance Party are a pretty much unheard of indie[1] band from London. I will not tell you their back story, ambitions or names because these things do not matter. What does matter is the music.

The tune towards the left is Amylase, possibly the most popular song on the album but definitely not the best. I posted the video to give you a taste of what sort of band Cajun Dance Party are. What they are to me is a band with a distinct[2] sound that play upbeat songs with a mix of the traditional band sound but with a ton of effects and other stuff like orchestras layered over the top. The whole album is pretty easy listening and is very good at making you relaxed and content with the world. These are feelings that are rarely felt by your average gamer, which is a shame.

Not all their songs are the same of course, they all retain that easy going feel but the band have been quite experimental with many of their songs. Especially with the last song on the album 'The Hill, The View & The Lights' in which they get a quest women singer who changes the mood of the song completely. Another notable mention would be the 'sad' song of the album 'No Joanna' which rejects the general format that Cajun Dance Party use for their other songs.

'General Format'? you say. Well yes that is one of my main gripes with this album. Many of the songs follow the same, although rather good, template. Start off slow or quiet but have a loud and upbeat chorus. And while this precedent is definitely noticeable and is quite frustrating form my point of view, it does help the songs that are completely individual stand out. But what makes the similarities of the songs worse is the singers voice. While I like the guys singing it isn't very diverse, although not quite as bad as Kings of Leon. All their singer manages to muster is the same croaky moan in every song.

Another little dig I have to make is the lyrics. While I am into some really surreal songs these lyrics are just too weird at points. For example 'Lets save this game for never, well you know it could be just forever, I'll take your piece and you'll take mine...' See what I mean. But thankfully this only pops up in a few songs.

But do not get me wrong, this is not a bad album. In fact I think it's quite good, although I've been told that as music is subjective I shouldn't enforce my opinions on you. But somebody has to. And put it this way, I have 4000 plus songs on this here computer of mine and I regularly pick out songs from this album to listen to. This probably begs the question 'What is your favourite song on the album Mr Reviewer Person?' and the reply would be the Race. So here it is for your express enjoyment.

Quite Spanish sounding at the beginning isn't it. I don't know why, maybe they've put the Phrygian Mode [3] in there somewhere. So what makes me like this song is the variety, there is no verse-chorus structure here it is mostly in sections. It mixes the frantic start with a rather mellow middle part and then ending even more frantically than it began. And Cajun Dance Party like to do this, by this I mean to surprise you. I've said before that many of the songs sound similar but there are always individual parts that catch you off guard. Annoyingly some of these parts are so good you end up fast forwarding the rest of the song just to get to them.

Winding down now

I guess the reason I chose to share this band with you is that they stand out. While many will cast a curious glance at them at denounce them as generic I feel that they've defined their own sound, which is a very good one at that. The elements of jazz and the general feel good nature of their songs really attracted me to them as a band. Make your own opinions on them, I've already told you mine.

Thanks for your time, all feedback (however pointless) is valued.

Now let me waste even more of your time...

[1] Maybe one day I will review a band that is not indie, but for now I shall carry on going in the same direction as before
[2] In a good way this time
[3] That's a scale for those who didn't know

Would really love me some feedback....

Not a bad review. I checked the bloc party one out before this one as I know them and wanted your opinions on that first (will comment there after this.

Interesting style of writing and while you did try and explain what you meant at times I felt that you dropped too many statements without qualification. i.e.

Stranger of Sorts:
What they are to me is a band with a distinct[2] sound that play upbeat songs with a mix of the traditional band sound but with a ton of effects and other stuff like orchestras layered over the top.

Traditional band sounds?

there is potential here but i woul dlike some more idea of your feelings 'mellowing' doesnt help unless I know what mellows you. admittedly I cannot access Youtube at work so I'm missing out on the vids and that could make all the difference

keep it up though hopefully you will get some more traffic and recognition

crotalidian:
Not a bad review. I checked the bloc party one out before this one as I know them and wanted your opinions on that first (will comment there after this.

Interesting style of writing and while you did try and explain what you meant at times I felt that you dropped too many statements without qualification. i.e.

Stranger of Sorts:
What they are to me is a band with a distinct[2] sound that play upbeat songs with a mix of the traditional band sound but with a ton of effects and other stuff like orchestras layered over the top.

Traditional band sounds?

there is potential here but i woul dlike some more idea of your feelings 'mellowing' doesnt help unless I know what mellows you. admittedly I cannot access Youtube at work so I'm missing out on the vids and that could make all the difference

keep it up though hopefully you will get some more traffic and recognition

Yeh I'll keep that in mind, though it will probably be a while before I try another one. Thanks.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked