A Review of Sorts :: The Butterfly Effect

The end is before the beginning.

The Butterfly Effect

oooooh i get it.... this is highlighted

I can't imagine what you all think of me by now, unlike many other reviewers that grace this site with their presence I do not restrain myself by means of a schedule[1]. On the contrary, I sit behind my laptop and compose you a review at the point when it takes my fancy and I do it all in one long, self-inflicted stint. Proof reading is usually minimal and so is the amount of thought put into the reviews before hand, in fact I do not actually know what I'm going to write on the subject of The Butterfly Effect yet, but I hope the ideas will start pouring in once I begin proper.[2]

The Butterfly Effect is a film that was recommended to me by a friend on the grounds that it was both disturbing but extremely good. And since said friend's favourite film is Crank I thought that if a psychological film such as this grabbed his attention then it was definitely something special.

The film shows us Evan, a man who has had blackouts throughout his life, usually when something catastrophic happened, where he cannot remember anything that occurred in a short space of time. Later on in his life, Evan finds a way to go back to the times where he blacked out and control what he does in them. i.e. He tries to stop bad things from happening. This, obviously, brings in the title of the film and all the chaos that ensues along side it. While there are certainly things that aren't explained in this film and many things are left down to "just because" the story does tie together extremely well. You are immediately pulled in to the twisted world that Evan inhabits and I even found myself glued to the screen way into the early hours of the morning having planned to only watch half an hour.

That being said this film is twisted, along side Evan's slowly deteriorating mind you have a whole host of characters and experiences which seem to exist for the express purpose of freaking you out. One in particular stands out, Tommy is the brother of Evan's childhood sweetheart, he is violent and sadistic in every possible way and certainly holds most of the attention when he is on screen. You can't help but feel uneasy when he appears and almost everything he says is chilling in one way or another.

By far the best thing about The Butterfly Effect is the way that the different realities allow you to see every side of the key characters. You find out that Tommy isn't all that he's shown to be and Evan's childhood friend Lenny is everything from a bubbly 20-something to a shadow of a man, strapped to a bed in a mental hospital. The effect really helps you to properly understand these characters and their motivations and is essentially the thing that is really interesting in this film. It also allows more characters than normal to be explored in a decent amount of detail to such an extent that I am hard pressed to find a key character that lacked any amount of depth. All the characters are unique in the way that they do not adhere to the templates that many films adopt nowadays, even the love interest has a profound amount of traits that are unseen in films today.

Not the worst place to wake up in the world.

The interesting use of cinematography is very prevalent in this film, since the beginning centres around Evan's blackouts there are many moments when the film will unexpectedly skip forward in time. It's shocking, very powerful and leaves you wondering exactly what happened between, say, Evan going to visit his mentally ill dad and his dad trying to kill him while screaming "He has to die!". All of these gaps are filled in later on in the movie so we, as viewers, never feel we don't quite know what is going on.

It is amazing that in a movie such as this where the time frame skips around all over the place you don't feel confused as to what is going on. It retains a forward momentum and every action still seems to have a point to it, every trip back in time is to fix one thing or another and each time Evan returns to a world where he has no idea what is going on.

The Butterfly Effect is an extremely dark, twisted and ultimately clever film which will hold your attention for it's duration and bring up some rather complex issues while it does it. While it may not be up in the giddy heights of Fight Club it is a remarkably good film and is well worth anyone's time. This review may seem rather short but the best thing I can do is to just point you towards watching it. Seriously... go do that.

So there is my first proper movie review, I realise it's quite different from doing games or music so I'd quite like some fairly constructive criticism. Though random comments are always welcome, I can never get enough of those.

Previous Review: Resistance 2

[1] For the 5 odd people that I offended with that statement: firstly, hi! and secondly, 'ts only a joke! Now read the rest of the review rather than scrolling all the way down here
[2] And they did! Hurrah!

Very good review and I just watched the movie on youtube since I never saw the second half due to dance class and TV schedules not lining up.

Not to spoil anything, I prefer the alternate endings because it means a lot more in terms of food for thought.

As I have never done a movie review either I will let domble and the many other movie critics here talk to that, but on a whole it was a good review. Kept my attention, read well, and made me want to go see this movie. Cheers, another review well done.

-Keep them coming

darth jacen:
As I have never done a movie review either I will let domble and the many other movie critics here talk to that, but on a whole it was a good review. Kept my attention, read well, and made me want to go see this movie. Cheers, another review well done.

-Keep them coming

You can find it all on youtube if you'd like, just search it up. ;)

First off, HA! You think I have a schedule.

Secondly, this is an excellent review, with a very good writing style. You explain what points you make in detail and backed them up very well, and that's always a big plus for me. I can very clearly see that you enjoyed the film, and may actually watch it when I next get the chance. Nice work.

Cleril:
Very good review and I just watched the movie on youtube since I never saw the second half due to dance class and TV schedules not lining up.

Not to spoil anything, I prefer the alternate endings because it means a lot more in terms of food for thought.

Alternate endings ey? I will have to watch them, thanks as well.

darth jacen:

-Keep them coming

Thanks, but dammit! That's my line!

T-Bone24:

Secondly, this is an excellent review, with a very good writing style. You explain what points you make in detail and backed them up very well, and that's always a big plus for me. I can very clearly see that you enjoyed the film, and may actually watch it when I next get the chance. Nice work.

Cheers.

Stranger of Sorts:

Cleril:

Alternate endings ey? I will have to watch them, thanks as well.

darth jacen:

-Keep them coming

Thanks, but dammit! That's my line!

T-Bone24:

Cheers.

Well, just one alternate ending, you can find it on youtube.

Cleril:

I did, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the ending included in the film, it's too sappy.

Stranger of Sorts:

Cleril:

I did, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the ending included in the film, it's too sappy.

Now I'm confused because several comments on youtube said one ending was on their DVD while another was on another DVD.

So...

Cleril:

Stranger of Sorts:

Cleril:

Now I'm confused because several comments on youtube said one ending was on their DVD while another was on another DVD.

So...

Okay that one isn't the one that I saw, my one was the 'stalker' ending.

Stranger of Sorts:

Cleril:

Stranger of Sorts:

So...

Okay that one isn't the one that I saw, my one was the 'stalker' ending.

I never even heard of that one....damn move makers!

Cleril:

Woah, didn't realise you'd posted this, sorry man. It's the one where

Stranger of Sorts:

Cleril:

Woah, didn't realise you'd posted this, sorry man. It's the one where

Yea I looked it up on youtube, still prefer the baby one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked