Unabletothinkofname's Unable To Shut Up #2

R.I.P Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010

UNABLETOTHINKOFNAME PRESENTS

Unabletothinkofname's Unable To Shut Up #2

This month:

Full Review: Slipknot: Slipknot (10th Anniversary Edition)
How To Buy: Doom/Stoner/Drone
Playlist: (Now changed, instead what I'm listening to this month)
Mini-Review:: Cancer Bats: Mayors, Bears, Scraps And Bones

Review

Slipknot exploded onto the nu-metal scene in 1999, dethroning the reigning monarchs Limp Bizkit from their throne and giving the tired scene a serious jolt up the arse. 11 years on, does the album still have the power it did when it was first released?

I only just picked up the recently (well...late last year) reissued 10th anniversary edition of the album, so I felt it was a good time to revisit this album.

Backstory

The various members of Slipknot:
Top 3: Sid Wilson, Joey Jordinson, Paul Gray
Middle 3: Chris Fehn, Jim Root, Craig Jones
Bottom 3: Shawn Crahan, Mick Thomson, Corey Taylor

Formed originally in the early 90's by core members Shawn "Clown" Crahan (drums) and Paul Gray (bass), Slipknot underwent a number of line-up changes and further additions over the years, the first of which was Joey Jordinson (drums, while Crahan switched to percussion), soon followed by Craig Jones (samples). The band soon began adding these electronic samples to their work, but were unable to reproduce them live-thus Jones moved from guitar to samples. After recruiting remaining members Chris Fehn (percussion), Mick Thomson (guitar), Sid Wilson (DJ/electronics) and snaring vocalist Corey Taylor and second guitarist Jim Root from local band Stone Sour, they entered the studio to record Slipknot-and the rest, as they say, is history. Slipknot have gone on to be the biggest metal band of the decade, selling out arenas and stadiums around the world and selling over 14 million records. Infamous for allegedly inspiring a number of crimes/suicides and their masked, overalled image, the combination of controversy and fucking awesome heavy metal have combined to make Slipknot one of the best-loved metal bands since the genre's 80's heyday.

Review

I did the unfortunate thing of listening this album and the band as a whole far too much until I got entirely tired of them and could barely listen to them-and it's been a good 5 months since I was listening to them regularly. However the squealing intro to 72460000127 still felt very familiar, as well as the voice repeating "The whole thing I think it's sick..." The relative quiet of the album's first 37 seconds then gives way to the pounding chaos of (Sic), and the newly remixed version brings out the electronic squall and clanking percussion out of the original's raw, but muddy mix.

Eyeless comes next, my personal favourite song on the record, showcasing (as with the rest of the record) the almost primally raw vocals-no breathing noises removed, gasps and coughs intact, increasing the psychotic sound of Corey Taylor's already crazed vocal performance (the gasped/shrieked "I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain" is a particularly good example of this). Next is the more restrained Wait And Bleed, the more melodic side of Taylor's voice on display (often cited as his best vocal performance) and it manages to be one of Slipknot's defining melodic/aggressive moments in under 3 minutes.

Then there's the murderous naked misanthropy of Surfacing, the crazed nu-metal satire of Spit It Out, both as furious and crushing as they are danceable, and both great tracks in their own right, and that's one of the most impressive features of this debut, especially considering it's a metal album (ESPECIALLY considering it's a nu-metal album)-each one of the tracks has its own special identity, the electronics and percussion section really setting this band apart from their knuckle-dragging contemporaries- the echoey guitar sound may have been borrowed from Korn, but other than that, Slipknot sound like no-one but themselves.

A number of other great tracks follow-The incredibly creepy horror-atmosphere of Tattered And Torn, the thrashy Me Inside, and the dark, industrial-esque Prosthetics to name a few-before the vast, murderous fury of Scissors unfurls. With Taylor's last agonized roar at the end of the eight long minutes, the album ends.

...at least it would, if not for hidden track Eeyore (preceded by what is essentially a 2girls1cup reaction) and the host of bonus tracks that follow. The original album's 14-track sprawl are bolstered by an additonal 11 bonus tracks, including a largely scream-free remix of Wait And Bleed that somehow sounds even more intense than the original, as well as alternate mixes of Spit It Out (less on the roar and more on the bratty nu-metal spew, especially on the particularly nasal chorus) and (Sic), non-album single Interloper, and demos of Wait And Bleed, Interloper and two non-album tracks Despise and Snap, as well as the long-lost Purity, a groovy, industrial-flecked track about an alleged true story of a girl buried alive.

The TL;DR

To answer my above question, yes, Slipknot is still the vital and furious abdominal blow it was all those years ago. For an album spawned from a now-despised scene, that's pretty darn impressive.

Reccomended Tracks

For Fans Of: Trivium, In Flames.

3 Slipknot Classics

Wait And Bleed (Slipknot, 1999)
Left Behind (Iowa, 2001)
Duality (Vol. 3, 2003)

How To Buy:

Stoner/Doom/Noise

"Whoa.............."

Slow, druggy and bowel-threateningly heavy, doom, stoner and noise are among the most obscure metal genres, rarely listened to by the average metal fan, but those who do are often fanatics (See everyone's favourite Irishman Furburt, for example), and it's produced some gems (as has every metal genre). Here's a brief guide of what to get.

Doom

Massively heavy while retaining filthy groove.

Electric Wizard: Dopethrone(2000)

The world's most weed-addled band hit the paydirt on their 3rd LP: Come My Fanatics from 3 years previous was hailed as a masterpiece, but this cemented their reputation as the heaviest band on earth. From the drugged-up apocalypse of Funeralopolis to We Hate You's dark misanthropy, Dopethrone is a beast of a record, and one you need in your collection.

Sleep: Sleep's Holy Mountain (1992)

Represting the lighter, more Sabbathian side of doom, Sleep's second LP was never bettered by the band (the posthumous Dopesmoker is great...but it's too fucking much!) Of course they were drugged off their faces and they sound exactly like Sabbath, but who cares with songs as great as Dragonaut, The Druid and Nain's Baptism? As Furburt once told me, "any album that unironically includes the line "I believe the signs of the reptile master!" is a classic."

Pentagram: Day Of Reckoning

80's Doom metal was an odd beast, it had almost no publicity, and was pushed aside in favour of thrash and hair metal, but was a vital influence on the stoner metal boom of the 90's. Pentagram and St. Vitus were at the forefront of the scene.
Pentagram was in fact formed in 1971, but didn't release their first album, Relentless, until 1985, an astonishing 14 year wait. Relentless was a good album, but their follow up, Day Of Reckoning, was even better. It had essentially the same sound as Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer, but this was just more of a good thing, especially since Black Sabbath had almost totally stagnated around that time, and the Ozzy/ Iomni doom brilliance of the heyday was gone. Pentagram pounds their way through 7 tracks, the best being Broken Vows, which has a brilliant vocal by Bobby Liebling. While not particularly original, Day Of Reckoning is well made, well played and full of feeling. A must for any Sabbath fan. By Furburt

Stoner

The druggier, more cheerful side of these heavy musics.

Kyuss: Blues For The Red Sun

Yeah, yeah, we all know Josh Homme from QOTSA, but frustratingly few know him from the band that really kick-started (along with Sleep) the stoner metal movement. From the opening bounce of Thumb all the way through drugged-up epics 50 Million Year Trip and Freedom Run, Blues is a classic.

Acrimony: Tumali Shoomaroom (1996)

Hailing from Wales, not traditionally known for its stoner metal heritage, Acrimony eschew the more doom focused end of stoner metal for the lighter, faster, but still heavy groovy licks of bands like Kyuss and Cathedral. Their first album, Hymns To The Stone, was a disappointment, but this album released in 1996, rises above that to become one of the best stoner metal albums of all time. Imbued with intense grooves, layered with effects, and with lyrics telling of mystical eastern experiences, this is one of the essential stoner albums of the mid 90's boom. The songs Million Year Summer, Find The Path and Motherslug especially. By Furburt

Drone

DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN..........

Sunn O))): Monoliths And Dimensions (2009)

Heavy. Heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy. Initially a prank, Sunn O)))'s (pronounced Sunnnnnnnn........) crushing drone reached a zenith on their most recent effort-featuring choirs, horn sections and conch shells, as well as guest spots from Mayhem's Attila Csihar and countless others from many genres,Monolith took 2 years to make and its four tracks clock in at nearly an hour, the epic Hunting And Gathering being the album's most magnificent piece, and recently earning the title of "Heaviest Song Ever".

Boris: Absolutegetgo

In the 90's, doom fractured into many different scenes. Bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard and Acid King became known as Stoner metal, bands like Eyehategod and Crowbar became Sludge, bands like Disembowellment became Death Doom, and so forth. Another development was that of Drone Doom, or simple Drone metal. Favouring extremely tuned down guitars, slow as hell tempos and insane heaviness, this sub-genre was pioneered by the bands Earth and Boris, who drew their inspiration from the music of The Melvins.
Boris' debut was the mammoth album Absolutego. Hardly even an album, it consisted of one song of the same name, that goes on for over an hour. It's probably one of the heaviest songs ever recorded, and in places, it's almost unlistenable due to the crushing feedback. It's most definitely not for the casual listener, it demands to be listened to in one go. It's the album that really set Drone metal off, and despite its length, it's actually a good introduction. Bands such as Sunn O))) would take most of their inspiration from this album.
So, if you have a spare hour, it's most definitely worth a listen.By Furburt

Playlist

What I'm assaulting my ears and everyone's around me with this month.

Early Grave: Architects (Hollow Crown, 2009)
Great bit of juddering, math-flavoured metalcore, abrasive and anthemic at the same time.

Last Drop Falls: Sonata Arctica (Silence, 2001)
Yeah, whatever, it's corny, cheesy, cliche, crap, whatever! I love metal power ballads and they don't come much better than this golden oldie from the Finnish power metallers.

Needled 24-7: Children of Bodom (Hate Crew Deathroll, 2003)
My 3 favourite metal genres are thrash, power and black. Pity there's no-one that-oh, wait, Bodom. Blackened power thrash? Hell yes!

Walk With Me In Hell: Lamb Of God (Sacrament, 2006)
Anthemic without any sort of pop nous or chorus, this is spine-crushingly heavy while retaining its catchiness with its dark, nihilistic riff and call-to-arms lyrics.

Farewell, Mona Lisa and Widower: The Dillinger Escape Plan (Option Paralaysis, 2010)
The most recent release I'm listening to this month, the new album from the mathcore masters is every bit as contorted and abrasive as 2007's Ire Works, these two standout tracks sound like Faith No More colliding with a high-brow Hatebreed on the former, while the latter's 7 piano-led minutes are as mesmerising as they are crushing.

Fear Factory: Zero Signal (Demanufacture, 1995)
Since I got Mechanize early this year these guys have become one of my favourite bands-check out this classic for the perfect mix of atmosphere electronics and speed-death brutality.

Mini-Review

Cancer Bats: Bears, Mayors, Scraps and Bones

First things first: Bears isn't as good a record as 2008's awesome Hail Destroyer, boasting no real anthem like Deathsmarch, but on the whole, it's only a tiny few steps behind. Scared To Death, Dead Wrong and Black Metal Bicycle are usual killer Bats hardcore, but opener Sleep This Away's bong-tastic grooves may be incongrous, but damn if it doesn't work. Their reworking of the Beastie Boys' Sabotage made an awesome tune even better, and while not every track is perfect, who wants that from a hardcore album? Bears is great, and if you feel like a visceral record with a sense of fun, pick it up.

For Fans Of: Gallows, Hatebreed.
Reccomended Tracks: Sabotage, Dead Wrong.

You got yourself a nice writing style there, boy.

Indeed, verr nice review, and I'm glad I could contribute.

Plus, Dopesmoker really needs a certain...something, to be enjoyed to the fullest.

Clue's in the title.

That is a hefty review you ave thar!

Is Pinocchio the fourth member of Slipknot?

Mr.Wiggles:
That is a hefty review you ave thar!

Thanks...? :p It's intended more as a column than a review.

Is Pinocchio the fourth member of Slipknot?

I think it's a bastardization of a plague doctor mask, actually.

I really enjoy these reviews, since they shed some light on a genre I would never (and will never) become involved in. You, Furb, Hub and others make sense out of a loud, clashy murk that I would normally label as "Just Noise"

Also...

UnableToThinkOfName:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FECKING GIYGAS

GIYGAS!

GET IT OFF MY COMPUTER SCREEN!

GrinningManiac:
I really enjoy these reviews, since they shed some light on a genre I would never (and will never) become involved in. You, Furb, Hub and others make sense out of a loud, clashy murk that I would normally label as "Just Noise"

Well, I've done something right, at least. :p Thanks. That Kind Of Blue review shall surface eventually.

Also...

UnableToThinkOfName:

FECKING GIYGAS

GIYGAS!

Who to the what now?

GrinningManiac:

FECKING GIYGAS

GIYGAS!

Actually, Earthbound was released after Blues For The Red Sun.

Goddamn Japanese developers ripping off stoner metal...

It's just too damn common these days.

Furburt:

GrinningManiac:

FECKING GIYGAS

GIYGAS!

Actually, Earthbound was released after Blues For The Red Sun.

Goddamn Japanese developers ripping off stoner metal...

It's just too damn common these days.

That explains so much about the standards of writing, acting and gameplay in the industry today...

GrinningManiac:

That explains so much about the standards of writing, acting and gameplay in the industry today...

Yes.

We must blame Kyuss for everything wrong with the gaming industry! Damn you Josh Homme and John Garcia, damn you all to hell!

UnableToThinkOfName:

The amount of material you can produce I would say within weeks you could fill a library

Ohh yeah! I can see that now.That Giant nose could sure assist during Prostate examination!

Mr.Wiggles:

UnableToThinkOfName:

The amount of material you can produce I would say within weeks you could fill a library

Aww, thanks. That warms my evil furry heart. 8D

Ohh yeah! I can see that now.That Giant nose could sure assist during Prostate examination!

Thank you for that invaluable info. I must now go throw up.

Good good. Great review, as per usual. I've actually found myself looking forward to your reviews, so count that as a positive :P

Ah, Slipknot. I'm in the same "played them to death" category as you with them. I'm not really a fan of their later stuff (Vol. 3 and All Hope is Gone), but I have a much better relationship with their early stuff, Iowa being my favourite album, and People = Shit being my favourite song.

Oh, and thanks to this I actually gave Pentagram a good listen. Very good stuff, reminds me a lot of Dio-era Black Sabbath (which I'm currently in man love with).

UnableToThinkOfName:

Aww, thanks. That warms my evil furry heart.8D

Fine. A small personal library!A libraret?

Thank you for that invaluable info. I must now go throw up.

Ever heard the term "stop sticking your nose in" as in "mind your own 'business'"???

reg42:
Good good. Great review, as per usual. I've actually found myself looking forward to your reviews, so count that as a positive :P

Ah, Slipknot. I'm in the same "played them to death" category as you with them. I'm not really a fan of their later stuff (Vol. 3 and All Hope is Gone), but I have a much better relationship with their early stuff, Iowa being my favourite album, and People = Shit being my favourite song.

Thanks, man. I didn't like All Hope much, but it has some good songs, and I love Vol .3, but not as much as I used to. My favourite 'knot song is Disasterpiece from Iowa

Oh, and thanks to this I actually gave Pentagram a good listen. Very good stuff, reminds me a lot of Dio-era Black Sabbath (which I'm currently in man love with).

Blame Thank Furburt for that.

As usual, you write extremely well, like a music journo!

One note:

The reason Slipknot had a similar sound to Korn was due to both being produced by Ross Robinson, who is kind of a crazy genius who pretty much invented nu-metal! (he produced Korn's first album, Sepultura's 'Roots' and even The Cure!)

MiracleOfSound:

One note:

The reason Slipknot had a similar sound to Korn was due to both being produced by Ross Robinson, who is kind of a crazy genius who pretty much invented nu-metal! (he produced Korn's first album, Sepultura's 'Roots' and even The Cure!)

Ah, well, that explains it. I suppose we have him to thank for Korn and Slipknot, but as I always say, nu-metal is a double edged sword, as it gave us Bizkit too. :/

UnableToThinkOfName:

MiracleOfSound:

One note:

Ah, well, that explains it. I suppose we have him to thank for Korn and Slipknot, but as I always say, nu-metal is a double edged sword, as it gave us Bizkit too. :/

Ew.... Limp Bizkit.... (shudder)

But yeah, it was Ross Robinson who invented that loose, filthy, raw sound with the tinny drums and messy vocals. Awesome sound, it captures so much fuckin energy! (goes away and moshes to Iowa)

reg42:
I have a much better relationship with their early stuff, Iowa being my favourite album,

Same here. I haven't enjoyed thier later stuff that much, it doesn't have the same aggression and rage. Iowa is amazing.

MiracleOfSound:
Same here. I haven't enjoyed thier later stuff that much, it doesn't have the same aggression and rage. Iowa is amazing.

Yeah, they did this whole "emo-metalcore" thing which is sad, because it lacks power and passion.
Anyone who tells me that

is more powerful thanneeds to have their head checked...

reg42:
shnip

Agree completely dude. The cleaner production doesn't suit them as well as the nasty, messy ugly Ross Robinson one did.

They sound like just another Roadrunner band now, as opposed to a bunch of demented psycho-hicks spilling thier souls out.

reg42:

MiracleOfSound:

Yeah, they did this whole "emo-metalcore" thing which is sad, because it lacks power and passion.
Anyone who tells me that

is more powerful thanneeds to have their head checked...

While I agree that this>this>this>this, I still think the two more recent albums are great. Vol. 3 has some slayers.

UnableToThinkOfName:

While I agree that this>this>this>this, I still think the two more recent albums are great. Vol. 3 has some slayers.

I just want to say, that looks absolutely insane when you quote it.

To be honest, I don't enjoy much metal besides the whole Doom, Stoner, Sludge thing. Melvins FTW. There are a few other bands, but for the most part that's the only metal i like.

UnableToThinkOfName:

I stuffed up, I meant to say they weren't all bad. Sure, each of the new albums had their own killers on the tracklist (this and this for example), I just don't enjoy the overall feel on them as much as the first 2.

Furburt:

UnableToThinkOfName:

I just want to say, that looks absolutely insane when you quote it.

Inorite. But why were you watching this thread so closely? :/

Milky_Fresh:
To be honest, I don't enjoy much metal besides the whole Doom, Stoner, Sludge thing. Melvins FTW. There are a few other bands, but for the most part that's the only metal i like.

You'll get on with our boy Furburt, then. I like the Melvins mah'sel', even though I'm a diehard thrasher/power metaller.

UnableToThinkOfName:

I...don't know!

Hmmmmm....

Milky_Fresh:

Geordie, you're my type of guy.

UnableToThinkOfName:

Milky_Fresh:

You'll get on with our boy Furburt, then. I like the Melvins mah'sel', even though I'm a diehard thrasher/power metaller.

Already do, kind lad helped a newbie out when I started here. Yeah, the Melvins seem to transcend genres in that way. Everybody I know who likes them probably wouldn't have a clue what doom metal is.

Furburt:

UnableToThinkOfName:

I...don't know!

Hmmmmm....

Milky_Fresh:

Geordie, you're my type of guy.

Fabian, you're my kinda gal.

Milky_Fresh:

Woah now!

I may have long hair, but I'm all man!

Furburt:

Milky_Fresh:

Woah now!

I may have long hair, but I'm all man!

My apologies, the roles have been reversed.

Milky_Fresh:

What about Progressive Metal? I seem to recall you liked almost all the prog-metal acts I introduced you to a while back.

Gildan Bladeborn:

Milky_Fresh:

What about Progressive Metal? I seem to recall you liked almost all the prog-metal acts I introduced you to a while back.

True, that was a bit of an exception though. I remember that, that stuff was awesome (-:

Milky_Fresh:

Gildan Bladeborn:

Milky_Fresh:

True, that was a bit of an exception though. I remember that, that stuff was awesome (-:

What bands? I am interest. I love prog myself. MASTODON! \m/

Furburt:

UnableToThinkOfName:

I...don't know!

Hmmmmm....

CANSHPIRASHY! *strokes chin*

reg42:

UnableToThinkOfName:

I stuffed up, I meant to say they weren't all bad. Sure, each of the new albums had their own killers on the tracklist (this and this for example), I just don't enjoy the overall feel on them as much as the first 2.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, though Vermilion's the only 'Knot song in my top 10 fave evar songs.

UnableToThinkOfName:

Milky_Fresh:

Gildan Bladeborn:

Milky_Fresh:

What bands? I am interest. I love prog myself. MASTODON! \m/

Let's see... for Prog-Metal I showed him Ascension Theory, Ayreon, Beyond Twilight, Threshold, and Communic, and he liked all but Threshold. When I found out he liked Doom I also showed him Octavia Sperati and Virgin Black, neither of which are actually Doom Metal bands but they incorporate elements of it and hey, he liked them, so that works then.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked