Cleril Reviews: Ocean Quest

Ocean Quest is a freeware game and is best described as Zuma in 3D and in the ocean instead of land. For those that don't know what Zuma is then the genre is a Match 3 type of game in which you shoot balls into other balls to make them pop. It's a more action oriented bust-a-move (if you own a N64) with some interesting twists thanks to both it's 3D game design and ocean oriented setting. Best of all, it's free! I mentions that already....oh well.

The story of the game revolves around you being a volunteer environmentalist choosing to assist to reducing ocean pollution by popping it up instead of burning it underwater. It doesn't quite make sense with the whole "being under water" setting of things but the writing is okay considering the story is nil in these sort of games. You play Ocean Quest for a much better experience than Zuma can offer, at the price of nothing.

The level design is superb in most cases save for a few levels that can be considered gimped because while you are in a 3D world you can only shoot your balls in a 2D plane so you can only hit parts of the track that are on the same level as you. I never found this to be a frustrating design choice though it is kind of hindering and odd since you are in a 3D world but can't aim up and down. Then again if you could you might miss more so it's a debatable choice on the designers part.

Then there's the little quirks within just about each level. Some levels have the track go underground while others have the robots carrying the balls go beserk so you must protect for example, a turtle. The real gimmicky levels were nice diversions from the main ones but proved to be perhaps a bit too easy and repetitive but luckily the ideas only go for one level so you won't experience the same gimmicks twice. Controls are nice and simple, using the mouse you can move left and right and you can either shoot with a left click or switch with the next ball in your position via right click. It's straight up Zuma controls basically.

There are powerups you can earn by freeing fish (represented by bigger pollution balls) and they range from bombs, whirlpools, joker balls, slow down, stop, and reverse the track. They are all useful and none are over powered as to not make the game somewhat hard. The real problem with any difficult though in this game is that if you lose the level you must start from the beginning which can lead to a lot of rage quits. Oh, another nice little touch is that the fish can block your view and you can move them by placing your cursor over them and this gameplay idea adds to the tension and fun instead of being annoying.

Ocean Quest is half pick up and play game and half addicting action puzzle game. All in all it's a great package for the price of free. There's more than 20 levels so you won't beat this in an afternoon and the graphics are pretty damn good and the sound design is decent as well. For a free game you really can't go wrong with the quality given in this title.

You can download the game here: http://www.gametop.com/download-free-games/ocean-quest/

It's virus free too! :D

Cleril sees the educational potential in games like this so start popping balls kids! Save the environment and reduce the world population!

I have removed my words from this site.

joethekoeller:
snip

Thanks for responding and I'll admit it's been quite a few months probably since my last review so I should be rusty. You make a lot of valid points and I think perhaps I just rushed to write a review rather than write a great review. It's the first day of summer for me so my brain must be soggy....or maybe less soggy? In any case thanks for bringing up the points about punctuation and flow, will up the anti on that next time.

Also, thanks for featuring it :D

Now if only more people joined that group...

I have removed my words from this site.

joethekoeller:

Cleril:

Now if only more people joined that group...

I agree, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about the name. It's not supposed to be an obscure group about games but a group about obscure games.

Maybe at one point make a topic containing obscure games and information on the group?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked