Cleril Reviews: Passage

Passage is a game made by indie developer Jason Rohrer, an actually well known indie to my knowledge (hah well known indie...as if that was possible). The games concept was to allow the player to experience life in quite literally 5 minutes. To do this the game seems to use pixels in a very unique and interesting way as it lets you see your whole life ahead of you in the beginning of the game yet it's mushed, unclear, and very tiny. However as you move to the right of the screen and as time passes the left side (your past) becomes more convoluted and small, then you die.

The story is told without any words except Passage in the beginning. Everything else is told through graphics. As you head down this hallway of life as it were your character ages, as does your wife (if you even come in contact with her, she is avoidable) until eventually you come to the end of the hall and die. It's actually very shocking when it happens as there's no emphasis or hint. Your character will look like an 8x8 pixelized old man but then pop, he turns into a gravestone.

There is no "winning" to this game and Jason Rohrer is an indie like me, who believes games can be art. Passage to me is art and in fact art I can sink my teeth into with interpretation. There are actually a few "gameplay" concepts in this game as well. The area you can see it just from east to west but down south is a series of mazes with chests of money which you are free to spend time collecting rather than going through the hallway. In fact, if you don't move at all you still die right where you started, leading to a rather uneventful life.

Another point of mention is your possible wife. When you come in contact with her (you can once again avoid her) you are stuck with her for the rest of your life. You might even become attached to her and even become sad when you find out what becomes of her. Another note of mention is that if you have your wife and choose to try to get treasure you'll notice you can't pass through much of the maze below now since you need to carry along your wife. It's a very poetic message if I do say so myself, exemplifying that while you are no longer alone in the world your opportunities may dwindle at the cost of such kindness.

I'm sure many could argue it's more of an experience than a game but you play games for experiences right? Right! Why not give Passage a try then? It's free! It succeeded in enrapturing me and it might do the same to you (hah puns, Rapture anyone?).

This a link to the games page: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

Walk towards the light? What light? All I see is a bunch of pixels! ~Cleril

Hmm....nothing about the game?

I'd figure somebody would be amazed at what you could do with a few pixels and some programming skills. :P

That was extremely good, I especially liked the idea that picking up your wife makes it much harder to maneuver through certain areas and makes some areas impossible, it's probably the best interpreted life simulation I've played, well, at least the most meaningful. What this one would like to know though is what was used to create it as I would like to jump on this pixelated bandwagon! You should review more indie games Cleril, I like being able to get some unexpected epicness in my day, perhaps spring literally a penny (its one of those pay whatever you want things) to get his other game :D? That is, Sleep is Death, click the learn about the story button, it looks very interesting. It seems that you type anything you want, and the game responds, and you can create your own things too, let lets say for example I said, light candle, I would go over and light the candle, plus you can talk to the other players (its two player only) and basically talk to eachother, and whenever someone tells you a story, or vise versa, you get all the objects they used, free to use for yourself, you see, one player is the guinea pig who just types and stuff, and the other player is the one who makes it all happen.

Misaek:
That was extremely good, I especially liked the idea that picking up your wife makes it much harder to maneuver through certain areas and makes some areas impossible, it's probably the best interpreted life simulation I've played, well, at least the most meaningful. What this one would like to know though is what was used to create it as I would like to jump on this pixelated bandwagon! You should review more indie games Cleril, I like being able to get some unexpected epicness in my day, perhaps spring literally a penny (its one of those pay whatever you want things) to get his other game :D? That is, Sleep is Death, click the learn about the story button, it looks very interesting. It seems that you type anything you want, and the game responds, and you can create your own things too, let lets say for example I said, light candle, I would go over and light the candle, plus you can talk to the other players (its two player only) and basically talk to eachother, and whenever someone tells you a story, or vise versa, you get all the objects they used, free to use for yourself, you see, one player is the guinea pig who just types and stuff, and the other player is the one who makes it all happen.

Yes I'm aware of Sleep is Death, can't pay for it (like audiosurf) though.

If you bought it I'd play with you though, every now and then. You know I can make a good story. ;)

I've reviewed plenty of indie games, just check the list. Will do more when I come across them or feel they deserve it.

Thanks for reading and maybe you'll buy Sleep is Death (costs at least 1.75, you can pay anything above that as well, gives you an email with two download links so it's a two for 1 deal).

Cleril:

Misaek:

If you bought it I'd play with you though, every now and then. You know I can make a good story. ;)

I've reviewed plenty of indie games, just check the list. Will do more when I come across them or feel they deserve it.

Thanks for reading and maybe you'll buy Sleep is Death (costs at least 1.75, you can pay anything above that as well, gives you an email with two download links so it's a two for 1 deal).

Oh it gives you two? Definitely then I'll get it, I shall let you know when I have it good sir. Also suggestions for games to review, how about Every Day the Same Dream, very good game which focuses on Existentialism too, and Today I Die, very poetic game.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Oh it gives you two? Definitely then I'll get it, I shall let you know when I have it good sir. Also suggestions for games to review, how about Every Day the Same Dream, very good game which focuses on Existentialism too, and Today I Die, very poetic game.

Yep, you pay at least 1.75 and it sends an email with two downloads (one for you and for the other) since it's two player only.

I'll download it then if you decide to make me the second player. Free gift at the very least :D

I've reviewed Every Day The Same Dream:

Cleril Reviews: Every Day The Same Dream - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.168314

I'll look into that other one you mentioned though.

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Yep, you pay at least 1.75 and it sends an email with two downloads (one for you and for the other) since it's two player only.

I'll download it then if you decide to make me the second player. Free gift at the very least :D

Cleril Reviews: Every Day The Same Dream - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.168314

Yes you shall be my second person, the only other person who I know would like and appreciate this is Madazulu and she is a yuppie so she can pay for it herself :P.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Yes you shall be my second person, the only other person who I know would like and appreciate this is Madazulu and she is a yuppie so she can pay for it herself :P.

At the very least it will be good roleplaying wise. ;)

I played "Today I Die" and while it was nice there's even less to review than in Passage and I can't say I overtly enjoyed it as much as I did Every Day The Same Dream. It was nice but too nice, not realistic enough for me I suppose.

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

I played "Today I Die" and while it was nice there's even less to review than in Passage and I can't say I overtly enjoyed it as much as I did Every Day The Same Dream. It was nice but too nice, not realistic enough for me I suppose.

Yeah I feel the same way, I definitely found it interesting though. As for Sleep is Death, it seems like a really fun way to see how people play roleplaying games. Not just through words or sight, but actually getting a first hand experience of their character. Also I've been getting lucky with your posts, this is the second time I have been doing other things for like a half hour, then randomly decide to check my messages and see I was quoted a second earlier.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Yeah I feel the same way, I definitely found it interesting though. As for Sleep is Death, it seems like a really fun way to see how people play roleplaying games. Not just through words or sight, but actually getting a first hand experience of their character. Also I've been getting lucky with your posts, this is the second time I have been doing other things for like a half hour, then randomly decide to check my messages and see I was quoted a second earlier.

I've played Illarion which is the only game solely dedicated to actual roleplaying.

Sadly it's no MMO and it requires a great deal of patience and the players are mixed both German and English speakers so often times you can say hi to someone and they just walk away because they don't speak English which sort of takes you away.

Also, being a bard (as I used to be, Cleril died from suicide) is rough since it depends on the characters whether they like your poetry and such.

I don't play anymore (Cleril is permanently dead, which I'm sure if I talked to a mod now I could get him revived possibly since the player base typically stays at around 30 players tops online, average is at most 15) though, just got bored with Cleril being dead and too many complex things to worry about.

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

I've played Illarion which is the only game solely dedicated to actual roleplaying.

Sadly it's no MMO and it requires a great deal of patience and the players are mixed both German and English speakers so often times you can say hi to someone and they just walk away because they don't speak English which sort of takes you away.

Also, being a bard (as I used to be, Cleril died from suicide) is rough since it depends on the characters whether they like your poetry and such.

I don't play anymore (Cleril is permanently dead, which I'm sure if I talked to a mod now I could get him revived possibly since the player base typically stays at around 30 players tops online, average is at most 15) though, just got bored with Cleril being dead and too many complex things to worry about.

This Illarion game intrigues me, what exactly can you do in it, obviously quite a bit since you killed yourself.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

This Illarion game intrigues me, what exactly can you do in it, obviously quite a bit since you killed yourself.

Death is permanent (it was done on the forums, not in-game since that's frowned upon) if you make it such.

Anything I suppose....it's not like Sleep is Death.

Think Runescape except isometric and with only dedicated roleplayers as players (OOC chat used too often will get those around you pissed, hell, once a mod even contacted me and another person to essentially "Hey, roleplay!").

The mods are a little rough and the community is kind of crappy in terms of who the real people are behind the characters.

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Death is permanent (it was done on the forums, not in-game since that's frowned upon) if you make it such.

Think Runescape except isometric and with only dedicated roleplayers as players (OOC chat used too often will get those around you pissed, hell, once a mod even contacted me and another person to essentially "Hey, roleplay!").

The mods are a little rough and the community is kind of crappy in terms of who the real people are behind the characters.

Sounds interesting, I shall check it out, also I shall have Sleep is Death in about an hour or two.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Sounds interesting, I shall check it out, also I shall have Sleep is Death in about an hour or two.

Alrighty, I'm watching the videos right now to learn how to control stuffs.

We can do a quick story just to test the game itself out.

Course send me a message when you get the juicy links. :D

Illarion: http://illarion.org/general/us_startpage.php

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Alrighty, I'm watching the videos right now to learn how to control stuffs.

We can do a quick story just to test the game itself out.

Course send me a message when you get the juicy links. :D

Illarion: http://illarion.org/general/us_startpage.php

Wouldn't it be awesome if your story had kind of a True RPG kind of gameplay to it *wink* *wink*!

Misaek:
snip

I suppose but wouldn't that limit you?

Also, we're on a timer of 30 seconds which is slightly daunting

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Wait, what timer? And I don't think it would limit me, it'd be just like the forum game, you put me in a situation, and I go from there. Oh, I see, wait he worded it kind of weird, the storyteller has 30 seconds to respond or the player does?

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Wait, what timer? And I don't think it would limit me, it'd be just like the forum game, you put me in a situation, and I go from there.

Well that's what I planned on doing. :P

There's a timer of 30 seconds for each player to do their actions.

I get 30 seconds to make stuff happen on my end and then you get 30 seconds to do what players can do (talk, move, and act upon objects) and then it goes back and forth like that.

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Wait, what timer? And I don't think it would limit me, it'd be just like the forum game, you put me in a situation, and I go from there.

I get 30 seconds to make stuff happen on my end and then you get 30 seconds to do what players can do (talk, move, and act upon objects) and then it goes back and forth like that.

Is there any limit to the entire game or just each turn?

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

No the game ends when the players decide it ends (or the controller does, not sure) but just each turn is limited to 30 seconds.

You can skip to the next turn if say you do what you wish to do and then the player/controller will see it and then take their turn to respond.

So if you wish to handshake with an NPC and I manage to set that up in 5 seconds I can send my action immediately instead of you having to wait 25 seconds.

You can also test the game to see how that 30 seconds feels.

There is no limit to how long a story can be though. ;)

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

No the game ends when the players decide it ends (or the controller does, not sure) but just each turn is limited to 30 seconds.

You can skip to the next turn if say you do what you wish to do and then the player/controller will see it and then take their turn to respond.

So if you wish to handshake with an NPC and I manage to set that up in 5 seconds I can send my action immediately instead of you having to wait 25 seconds.

Gut, also I will be downloading it in, about 10 minutes, so get cha sexy on because it be happening soon!

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Gut, also I will be downloading it in, about 10 minutes, so get cha sexy on because it be happening soon!

Well I'd need the game too you know....linky link?

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Oh, well by download I meant procure, I be purchasing it right now so get ready for the link!

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Oh, well by download I meant procure, I be purchasing it right now so get ready for the link!

No rush. Just wondering of what the situation entails.

I assume I'll be the controller for our first setup?

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Indeed, I only got up to the second tutorial. Alrighty, expect the link in your messages in about 2 minutes.

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:

Cleril:

Misaek:
snip

Indeed, I only got up to the second tutorial. Alrighty, expect the link in your messages in about 2 minutes.

I've seen them all but I don't know what the default package comes with so I'll end up just working with what it comes with instead of trying to make things on the fly.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked