Sneaky-Pie - DEFCON: Everybody Dies

DEFCON - What is it?

According to Introversion, the developer of DEFCON, it's "The World's first Genocide 'em up" and "It's Global Thermonuclear War, and nobody wins. But maybe - just maybe - you can lose the least."

To begin, this game has a shockingly close resemblance to the movie War Games, which I'm sure to some degree was the inspiration for this game. The film is worth checking out.

The premise of the game is simple: blow the living hell out of your opponents' cities with nukes without losing too many of your own. Winning is simple and DEFCON uses a point system for deciding on a winner once the world is nothing more than a radiation filled wasteland. You earn points in relation to the amount of millions of people you kill and lose points when you lose millions of your own. The player with the most points at the end wins.

The game is set up on a global scale with each player occupying a continent. Oddly enough, they decided to cut out Australia as a playable location and instead cut Asia in half horizontally allowing for a total of six players. After playing it through several times, I can see why they did, I just wish I had the opportunity to blow those Aussies up.

I'm sorry Russia, but Australia is feeling a little under the weather right now and can't come out and play.

Before you can get to the nuking of your friends, you must first wait for the appropriate defense condition, or DEFCON, to unlock after a certain amount of time. There are five defense conditions that you must sit through total, with DEFCON 5 being the most restrictive and DEFCON 1 being the most awesome. Thankfully, time can be sped up in order to get to the good stuff faster and also so that you don't have to watch your units painfully mosey across the screen.

Once DEFCON 1 rolls around, everyone is free to launch every nuke they got, whether it be from a stealthy submarine, a high altitude bomber, or a good old-fashioned missile silo.

It's recommended to view this image in a new tab.

DEFCON - How does it look and feel?

Despite the premise of the game, DEFCON has a very simple look and feel. I really dig the art style as it reminds me of an older, tactical computer interface, but still maintains to feel modern. Playing the game is surprisingly easy as essentially all you do is move different icons over the map and designate targets to your silos, airfields, and navies.

Introversion has done something remarkable and rarely seen here. They have made an extremely simple game into an extremely fun game. Seriously, I haven't had this much fun playing a real-time strategy game in a long time. DEFCON is pretty friendly to beginners, but you can take forever in mastering your strategy. Be prepared to lose a lot when either playing with the AI or online with your friends. Tables are turned fairly quickly as one of your opponents may appear all but destroyed, but then suddenly appear with a fleet or two of submarines ready to deliver several dozen nukes to your coast lines. Games are relatively quick depending on the amount of players there are and it was common for my games to last about twenty minutes.

A great touch to this game is the music. As much fun as this game is, the premise is, in reality, a pretty depressing thing and the music reminds you of that. It's continually ominous and helps give you a sense that it really is the end of the world. Once the nukes start firing, you hear people crying and an overall tone of just how horrible of a human being you are.

You bastard.

For those of you who really hate micromanaging, this may not be the game for you. While your naval fleets and air fields attack once there are enemies in range, you must individually choose where each and every one of your nukes will go. Every player has roughly around 200 nukes to play with before they run out and you choose each and every target you wish to turn to ash. There were several times where I could select a group of my bombers or subs and just tell them the general area I wish them to bomb.

DEFCON - Final Thoughts

Through and through, DEFCON is certainly an entertaining game and one could easily spend hours destroying the world dozens of times over again in a single sitting. Like I said earlier, you will lose. A lot. But many times it will still be just as entertaining watching your cities being blown off the map. Still nothing is more satisfying than covertly maneuvering your submarines into an enemy's back door and unleashing Armageddon on them. I would certainly recommend giving the demo a go (found on Introversion's website or on Steam) and see how adept you are at destroying the world!

You can find DEFCON on either Introversion's website or on Steam.

Good review. It flows very well and there weren't really any major grammatical errors that jumped out at me. It was a perfect length for the subject matter, but I feel as though there wasn't very much opinion inside some of the paragraphs. Obviously, you were explaining what the game was about early on, but you take to describing the way a match will play out much too often. You say that the music is nice, the game is fun, and the look of the game is nice, however, those points are spread far too thin.

I suppose I'm nitpicking considering that there really can't be terribly much to say about a game like this.

Regardless, good review. I look forward to reading more from you.

I have removed my words from this site.

SniperWolf427:
Good review. It flows very well and there weren't really any major grammatical errors that jumped out at me. It was a perfect length for the subject matter, but I feel as though there wasn't very much opinion inside some of the paragraphs. Obviously, you were explaining what the game was about early on, but you take to describing the way a match will play out much too often. You say that the music is nice, the game is fun, and the look of the game is nice, however, those points are spread far too thin.

I suppose I'm nitpicking considering that there really can't be terribly much to say about a game like this.

Regardless, good review. I look forward to reading more from you.

Valid points. It was troubling to do as the game really is that simple.

Despite that, I'll keep the thoughts in mind for my next one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked