Unabletothinkofname Reviews: Iron Maiden Live @ the O2 Arena, Dublin, July 30, 2010

SCREAM FOR ME, DUBLIN!

This was my first gig, ever, and this is my first live review, so it might not be great.

I won't bother with a backstory. I mean, it's Iron Maiden.

MAIDEN.

Okay, on we go...

You really have to feel sorry for Sweet Savage [8]-not only are they opening for Iron Maiden, it's also their new drummer's first gig with them, and they're replacing Heaven And Hell. So from the start, they face boos and yells of "DIO" from some of the more hardcore crowd members. However, aforementioned new sticksman Marty McCluskey is a total powerhouse, and their crunching brand of NWOBHM-esque metal and cracking songs like Powdermonkey and Metallica favourite Killing Time, as well as the gurning antics and relentless enthusiasm of bassist/vocalist Ray Haller soon wins the crowd over, and by the time new song Warbird rolls around(which bodes well for their forthcoming new album), they've totally won the crowd over, and when they (somewhat inevitably) sing along to their closing cover of Whiskey In The Jar, it's an absolute triumph.

Though, really, nothing was ever going to compare to the stunning stage show, jaw-dropping musicianship and the sheer legend factor of Iron Maiden [11]. I was right at the front, and as soon as the intro tape of UFO's Doctor Doctor came on, I was nearly crushed in the surge forward. You know when the crowd goes mental for the fucking intro tape and sings every word it's gonna be a good gig. The curtain falls, the lights dim, and to the strains of Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War", drummer Nicko McBrain emerges to massive cheers, and once the music shuts off...well, man.

The only way to describe it is they literally explode onstage to "The Wicker Man", guitarist Adrian Smith and bassist Steve Harris charging on, soon followed by fellow six-stringers Dave Murray and Janick Gers, before vocalist Bruce Dickinson speeds out from behind the stage, leaps over the speakers, right to the front of the stage, without missing a single note.

The legendary Bruce Dickinson.

Any of my doubts that a post-Brave New World set would be a letdown were washed away immediately by the ecstatic roars of "Your time will come!" at the anthemic chorus. From there it's straight into "Ghost Of The Navigator", another underrated anthem-hell, everything they've done since the Bruce/Adrian reunion has been great. It just took seeing it in the live setting to convince me.

A pumelling, groovy "Wrathchild" comes next, and that's when the show really starts to gain momentum, the crowd bellowing every word of the now-30(!) year old song, Bruce leaping around the stage with the voice and energy of a man half his age (he's 53, people!). New song "El Dorado"'s up next, and the crowd already know every word, which has my hopes up for new album "The Final Frontier" being as good as 2006's dark, progressive and stunning "A Matter Of Life And Death".

I'll be honest, the next few songs were a bit of a blur for me. A barrage of songs from Maiden's 2000's albums, particular highlights included a fantastic retelling of "The Reincarnation Of Benjamen Breeg", Dance Of Death's Celtic-influenced title track, and a vast runthrough of Blood Brothers, preceeded by a dedication by Bruce Dickinson to "the sadly absent, greatest little man on Earth", prompting a chant of "DIO!" from the crowd. After heading to the back to get some water so I didn't die, having sweated out what felt like half my body weight, I got back to the front just in time.

From the second the opening chords of "Fear Of The Dark" were struck, the crowd roared along to every note, the anthemic "Whoa-oh-oh-OHHH-oh-oh-oh-oh" singalong providing one of the night's most spine-tingling moments. Followed by perpetual set-closer "Iron Maiden" (complete with guitar-mangling new-look Eddie), the band leave the stage triumphant.

Ed The Motherfucking Great.

...that is, until the immortal "Woe to you, oh Earth and sea..." intro to "The Number Of The Beast" rings out, Bruce's legendary scream before the first verse echoed by the crowd, making an utterly cacophonous din. After that it's time for legendary ballad "Hallowed Be Thy Name", the clap-along intro and Bruce's crowd-baiting routine the icing on the cake of an incredible, incredible gig. A final run through "Running Free" with Dickinson's usual policeman-shtick routine making the crowd laugh and cheer in equal measure. Once they finally depart, the endlessly chirpy strains of "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" blare through the PA, and 14000 sweaty metalheads singing along to that is quite an, um, experience.

The TL;DR

Like I said at the start-this was my first ever gig, and man, did I pick a fucking good one. I was in the pit for every song, I was punched, hugged, ran into, everything. I went down at one point and literally 2 seconds later I was back on my feet-everyone rushed to help me. As Bruce Dickinson said himself in one of his speeches during the gig, there's 3 types of people-music fans, metal fans, and Iron Maiden fans. He went on to say it was like a family, and welcomed anyone whose first Maiden gig it was to that family-and for once, it actually felt like it. Sentimental bollocks it was not.

Really, the defining moment of the gig for me was this person who I'd never met, who I glanced at beside me, and he yelled "It's fucking Steve Harris, man!" and we put our arms around each other's shoulders and roared along to "Wrathchild".

Up the mother fucking Irons.

it was a truly amazing gig. i thorooughly endorse this review. the sound was amazing. the stage show was amazing. and the energy and atmosphere was ridiculous. like a family. and not a troubled family. a wholesome loving family

Makes me feel bad for not listening to much of them; sounds like a really great show. Perhaps I'll fit a new artist into my set lists and hope for a chance to go to one of these gigs.

Sounds fun, gentlemen. I'm still glad I passed on it though, as I still don't like Iron Maiden. But I'm glad you had fun, and it's a good review. Some minor type allignment problems, but other than that, it's all goooooood.

Doctor Pealz:
blurp

Hello Bradan.

Furburt:
Sounds fun, gentlemen. I'm still glad I passed on it though, as I still don't like Iron Maiden.

TASTELESS TASTELESS TASTELESS
Yeah, you wouldn't have liked it at all. You'd probably have gotten crushed. LIKE THE TINY BABY MAN YOU ARE

But I'm glad you had fun, and it's a good review. Some minor type allignment problems, but other than that, it's all goooooood.

Yeah, I can't escape those damn problems. X_X

Thats one of the reason I love this band; even when they march on to 60 years old and 40 years in the business they still have twice the energy and two-hundred times the talent any artist half their age has.

Long live Maiden, and I hope the Final Frontier is as great as most of their other albums were.

I'm SO envious. I'd be seeing them tonight at Sonisphere in a couple of hours, but I got sunstroke and had to be rushed to hospital, and now I'm home, upwards of two hours away, with no available mode of transportation, heavy burns, and no energy left. Thank fuck they're on a tour; I'm getting another shot soon, and by the power of Greyskull, I'm not missing that one.

I'm so very very sad that I missed this gig due to having no money and a mix up with work.

I was looking forward to it for months and at the last minute the job I thought I had didn't materialise...

Saw them about 4 years ago in Dublin, best gig of my life by a longshot.

Consider this a jealous but happy-for-you commendation on your review :)

Wish I was part of the Iron Maiden family...

But I'm not, so my hostility remains!

*pimp-slap*

Only gig I've been to was Linkin Park when I was 12-13 >.>

YA LUCKY BASTARD!

MiracleOfSound:
I'm so very very sad that I missed this gig due to having no money and a mix up with work.

I was looking forward to it for months and at the last minute the job I thought I had didn't materialise...

Think they'll be back next year for the Final Frontier proper, or the second leg, maybe.
We'll go then!

When you saw them was that the one where they played AMOLAD in its entirety?

UnableToThinkOfName:

MiracleOfSound:

Think they'll be back next year for the Final Frontier proper, or the second leg, maybe.
We'll go then!

Nope I saw the tour where they played all the early stuff off Number Off The Beast, Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden, all that good stuff!

I wasn't too keen on AMOLAD to be honest, some amazing moments but I prefer thier other albums, I'd have been pissed if all I got was that one at a gig.

Also, yeah if they come back next year I'm planning it waaay in advance this time.

MiracleOfSound:

UnableToThinkOfName:

MiracleOfSound:

We'll go then!

Nope I saw the tour where they played all the early stuff off Number Off The Beast, Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden, all that good stuff!

I wasn't too keen on AMOLAD to be honest, some amazing moments but I prefer thier other albums, I'd have been pissed if all I got was that one at a gig.

Also, yeah if they come back next year I'm planning it waaay in advance this time.

Ahh, lucky git. :3 The gig was amazing, but nothing off any classic albums except Iron Maiden and Number Of The Beast was a bit of a shame. Still it can't detract from the epicness.

I loved AMOLAD, some of the songs were a little overlong, but The Legacy is absolutely incredible.

And I hope to see you there if they do. :3

Ah, I remember my first gig, what a magical gig it was. It was NOFX in 2007. It was pretty awesome because everytime someone fell the entire mosh would stop and help the guy up. And there were no fists; I hate fist.

Anyway, I like your little review her, it really seems to capture that "You may now kill me, as my life is complete" vibe you get from epic gigs.

Oh and the fact that you saw Fear of the Dark being preformed live makes me so jealous I wanna eat you.

UnableToThinkOfName:

Ahh, lucky git. :3 The gig was amazing, but nothing off any classic albums except Iron Maiden and Number Of The Beast was a bit of a shame. Still it can't detract from the epicness.

I loved AMOLAD, some of the songs were a little overlong, but The Legacy is absolutely incredible.

And I hope to see you there if they do. :3

ha... that's by far my favorite song off that album too :) I love the Pilgrim also.

The older sets are amazing but I'm still totally jealous you got to see Wicker Man and Blood Brothers, those two songs are as good as anything they wrote in the eighties!

In fact, the entire Brave New World album is a masterpiece in my eyes, I think it's the most consistent album they've ever made.

And you got to see Fear of the Dark too man... what a song!

i didnt write that. Gabriel?

UnableToThinkOfName:
Snip

I am so fucking jealous of you - They played at the Sonisphere today but I didn't get to go _

Up the fucking irons, they are so damn awesome. I wish they did more concerts :(

Doctor Pealz:
i didnt write that. Gabriel?

You can change what it says in the quotes. If it's a long post, most people replace it with "snip" or something to that effect.
Fabian is just different.

Henry Rollins once pointed out that the worst place to be in any gig anywhere is opening for Iron Maiden. It could be a band of transcendental awesomeness but half the stadium would try to drown them out with cries of "FUCK THIS CRAP WE WANT MAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

That said, it sounds like it was a kick-ass show.

I saw them open the US-leg of this tour and they played almost the exact same setlist (minus Wrathchild, if I recall). I liked Brave New World but I haven't listened to their latest albums that much, so I thought the second half of the show kicked much more ass than the first. Great show though, you'll always remember your first.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked