IT CAME FROM NETFLIX! Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Logo courtesy Netflix.  No logos were harmed in the creation of this banner.

There is a difference, in my mind, between a request and a challenge. A request is somebody asking an artist to do something for a personal reason - they have a particular subject they want exalted, or a pet peeve they're dying to see run into the ground. A challenge, on the other hand, is a sharing of misery. When I did my review of Rise: Blood Hunter, that was a request. What happened last night was the result of a challenge, issued during the Classholes Anonymous podcast a couple weeks ago. If you missed it, I included a clip in today's recoding. If you're not listening to it, it's right above this paragraph. Go ahead and click play. I'll wait.

The gauntlet was clearly thrown. And I, like a moron, took it up, apparently just to repeatedly punch myself in the face.

Courtesy 4Kids Entertainment

I should have taken Black Eagle's advice to find the abridged version. Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie doesn't even get off to a good start. The opening narration, about an ancient 'shadow game' between Anubis, god of the underworld, and some nameless pharoah is redundant, dry and utter nonsense. "Not even eternity lasts forever." Um, yes, it does. That's the definition of eternity. Oh, and isn't it a great sign when a kid's movie begins with a scene of people being horribly buried alive?

Anyway, we cut to this little pipsqueak Yugi trying to solve this unsolvable Millenium Puzzle, an ancient Egyptian artifact that apparently hangs around your neck despite the fact it looks like it weight about five hundred pounds. When he solves it, he apparently becomes or is inhabited by the soul of the pharoah. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is, there. I have the feeling that if I'd suffered through the first few seasons of the horribly dubbed TV series I might have more of a clue, but I only have information from the movie to go on. And the movie doesn't say shit about how this transformation of his actually works. Also, whenever the pharoah takes over Yugi's body, he suddenly transforms from a shrimpy little kid into a tall young man with a much deeper voice and angrier hair. And nobody comments on the strangeness of this whatsoever.

The world has been taken over by this obsession with a collectible card game called Duel Monsters. It's kind of like Magic: The Gathering, except that this game suffers from a problem of having its brain missing. Every single person who plays it doesn't just carry a deck with them, they wear this retarded-looking gizmo on their arm. At all times. Now, if this were Hell's Kitchen and these kids were carrying switchblades, I'd understand that. It's a rough neighborhood. But, come on, you don't have bags to carry this crap in? Are you that paranoid that a duel is going to break out at any moment? And while we're on the subject of the gizmos, which are unnamed, if they project holographic images of the cards' monsters and spells, the only way the images could do physical damage to the players - which apparently they do, judging by Yugi's vocalizations when he is, among other things, brutally backstabbed (in a kid's movie!) - is if they have the old Star Trek problem of the safeties being disabled. Or not having safties. What a great little toy for kids, huh? A card game where you can summon monsters to savagely beat your friends half to death during lunch hour. The PTA's going to love it.

"Prepare to duel! FOR YOUR LUNCH MONEY!"

So the opening of the film and the premise for its battles are utter bullshit. The battles themselves should look cool at least, right? WRONG. Not only do the creatures in these duels look lackluster and almost entirely interchangable, as well as having needlessly complicated and similar names, the duelists make it a point to stop in the middle of their duels to explain what the card is and what it does. And this happens with every card. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Watching people play a CCG is boring enough as it is, but when this sort of crap is done every time a new card is played, complete with overly dramatic gestures and voice acting that is absolutely gut-wrenching in its amateur dramatics elocution, I have to believe the only adolescent audience really chomping at the bit to see this in theaters rode the short bus to school. Back when they had short buses.

When we're not being thrown against the walls of our intelligence by this aggressive assault of stupid, the movie dumps exposition on the screen through the mouths of its characters with such utter blandness that I found myself almost wishing to be back in the middle of a duel. Not only is the exposition stupid, it contains perhaps the worst Egyptology lesson ever. Now, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have super-powerful baddies resolving their conflicts through mundane games. Puzzle Quest proves that. But I couldn't help but feel sorry for poor Anubis. The god of the afterlife who judged the souls of the dead, to my recollection, never set a plot in motion to bring about the utter destruction of the world. And I know this is probably a case of the dub making an already flimsy premise even more stupid, but if those cards Yugi has represent Egyptian gods, I'd love to find the part in the Book fo the Dead that refers to Slifer the Sky Dragon.

So apparently Egyptian gods actually look like this.
Or... like this. I guess.

So far we've got a shitty plot, shitty battles, shitty animation and shitty mythology. Let's see if we can find anything to even partially redeem this. At one point, the character of Kaiba climbs into a vehicle that I can only describe as a robot dragon. I have no idea where Kaiba got the resources to put this thing together, but it looks pretty badass. At first. Then the music comes in. Remember some of the incidental music from Transformers: The Movie? And I'm talking about the 80's version, here, not Michael Bay's somewhat bland explosionfest. The incidental songs were typical 80's fare, but at least they were tolerable to listen to. This little song that plays while Kaiba flies up to see the fabulous Max Pegasus sounds like it was banged out by garage-dwelling wannabes that are trying way too hard to be Nickleback. If their aspirations begin and end with wanting to emulate the most unpleasant form of what can only tentatively be considered rock music, mission accomplished, I guess.

And while we're on the subject of Kaiba, how the hell can he afford to build a highly complicated dome where he can test his deck against a simulations of Yugi's? I know, I know, seasons of television in two countries, dubs suck compared to subs, online wikis, slashfics, derpy derpy doo. I am watching a movie, here, and am judging the movie based solely on what it provides its audience in terms of explanations and clarifications, i.e. none. Like Yugi's inexplicable dual souls or the ways the holograms beat the crap out of the players, Kaiba's fortune and resources go unexplained. We're left with a hell of a lot more questions than answers. Why is Kaiba's coat always billowing? If Kaiba's really this interested in beating Yugi, why isn't he doing it in a tournament setting where Yugi can be publically humiliated, instead of this private setting where he can cheat as much as he wants since there's no oversight? And if Kaiba did win, who'd believe him? Couldn't he at least have televised the event? Is anyone going to bother explaining the rules of this brain-damaged game? Why doesn't Yugi's grandfather have the hairstyle of an adult? And if this is a kid's movie, what's with all the fan service?

"Mommy? Why do my pants feel so tight?"

Just when you think it can't get any worse, the plot goes from nearly non-existent to completely incomprehensible. In the final act, Yugi's soul is sucked into this magical MacGuffin and forced to navigate an MC Escher painting. While the pharoah in Yugi's much more adult body gets its ass kicked by Kaiba's dickish cheating and topdecking, Yugi and his pals have to fight mummies. Apparently they're not going to survive until the girl among them jumps in, saying that as long as they're together, they can prevail. As if a lesson on the Power of Friendship wasn't enough, they apparently drew a symbol while their hands were joined at some point in time before the movie that gives them super-powers. A reference to something incidental from the television series is, in a film, still a deus ex machina, and still sucks.

So the big climax happens when Anubis manages to manifest himself as a retarded-looking pro wrestler guy with super-powerful monsters and the ability to MAKE THE MONSTERS REAL! Wait. If the monsters weren't real before, why did Yugi act like he was getting stabbed for real when he got stabbed by that creepy-ass clown? Anyway, an ass-pull happens, Anubis is destroyed or banished or sent to his room or whatever. Point is, the movie ended. And all of those questions I brought up? Never answered. Not a single one.

I know, Yugi. I know. It hurts me too.

Watching Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie is an experience in cinematic torture. It's bland, stupid, ill-conceieved and shamelessly pandering all at the same time. American children frothing at the mouth for the next obsessive collection of things on which their parents will spend money just to shut them up might have been entertained. But I'm more and more of the opinion that American children, by and large, have yet to unlock their higher brain functions. Maybe the school system is holding them back, maybe they're eating too much fast food, maybe there's too much exposure to things like Twilight and Halo and Justin Beiber, but it's a moot point. I'm not here to discuss those matters, I'm here to review a movie. And this movie sucks. It's atrocious. It was shat out by a studio looking to milk more dollars out of impressionable youths who will stampede to the stores to pick up the awesome cards they saw on-screen. Here's where I pick up my walking stick and shake it at these bunch of brain-dead drooling perpetual disappointments.

Back in MY day, when Magic: the Gathering was the only card game in town, we didn't need a TV series or a shitty movie to get us to buy the cards. You know why? That game is good. There's balance (more or less), clear rules (for the most part), fantastic card art (until anything potentially satanic gets edited out)... okay, it's not a great game, but my point is people picked up the game, played it, and bought more cards to play more on the merits of the game itself. The card game born out of Yu-Gi-Oh is, as far as I can tell, every bit a product of the show and, if this film is any indication, it's completely and utterly worthless. Do not go anywhere near this title. The series, the movie, the game, the other merchandise which includes those retarded things you wear on your arm because tables just aren't cool enough - it's all designed to make you stupid. It feeds on your intelligence. Avoid it at all costs. My deepest hope is that, since little to nothing has been said or heard about this franchise for years, it's finally on its way to the same yawning abyss that has claimed Beyblades and those absolutely craptastic Go-Bots.

As for my "friends" Kona Kona and Chan... well, there's a reason they put friendly fire in Alien Swarm, ya bastards.

Josh Loomis can't always make it to the local megaplex, and thus must turn to alternative forms of cinematic entertainment. There might not be overpriced soda pop & over-buttered popcorn, and it's unclear if this week's film came in the mail or was delivered via the dark & mysterious tubes of the Internet. Only one thing is certain... IT CAME FROM NETFLIX.

but i still like the card game. itss sooo simple but still evokes some strategy

Can I request a review of Spirited Away? Or all of Miyazaki's work? Or any of it?

Yu-Gi-Oh falls into the so bad it's good category... sometimes. The movie was just one ENORMOUS cash in. You were pretty generous considering how bad it is.

Oh and the card game is good. Tournaments and such continue to crop up. The Manga came first, then came the Anime, and finally a Card Game, I think, so I guess the Card Game was cashing in on the show.

Oh, and you appear to have missed one big joke in what you are saying when people get buried alive, fanservice and such. This was dubbed by 4Kids, notorious for editing out anything mature. Think about that. You are watching the watered down version, with what you did see got past standards and practising. If hey let that lot into a PG movie, imagine what they didn't let in!

Now Digimon on the other hand, hahaha... Yes... That Movie was worth it.

Calumon: Except Part 3! Davis is too silly! >: (

Am I'm bad for finding your anger and suffering very amusing?

Yes this movie did suck. I watched it back when I was little and while I knew the back-story to almost everything, I was still confused. And I think the anime continues off the movie, so it make things even more confusing.

But screw it all now. The movie is bad and I found your review to be great.

Man, am I glad I've only watched the Abridged Series version of this. I had the sneaking feeling that the real thing would be a lot less entertaining.

Onyx Oblivion:
Can I request a review of Spirited Away? Or all of Miyazaki's work? Or any of it?

I wouldn't mind a review of his three best movies.

OT: I remember watching this when I was a brainless kid. By hindsight, I think I lost critical amounts of braincells.

AUDIO BAR!

Huzzah!

As for the review, how could you bring yourself to watch 2 hours of this shit?
HOW!?

Jack and Calumon:
This was dubbed by 4Kids, notorious for editing out anything mature. Think about that. You are watching the watered down version, with what you did see got past standards and practising. If hey let that lot into a PG movie, imagine what they didn't let in!

Calumon: snip

I think of this as a kids show, so putting anything mature into it would ruin the anime (whatever) for me, sometimes it's nice to stop watching boobs, swearing, blood, death etc in favor of good fun.

For example I LOVE saw films, with an unnerving passion but I also love the short on wall-e with the rabbit with just as much passion.

Putting all mature stuff in things doesn't make it better, it makes it beige.

Never watched the movie. I used to enjoy the anime, I thought it was quite good. Probably wouldn't enjoy it now, though. I did enjoy the Abridged version though. Search it on youtube.

The cardgame on the other hand, is awesome. The anime doesn't follow the rules at all, but it's really fun. Can't compare it too MTG though.

Onyx Oblivion:

i agree with this, i love miyazaki and would like to hear a review.

I can think of perhaps one or two people who may wish to gut you on reading this, as they are massive yu gi oh fans themselves. Though i'm assuming they too admit how bad this movie seems, I'll find out once I show one of them how they react.

So I apologise in advance if you see someone with only one post call you some sort of combination of swear words. Good review though, and I think it's the general practise for straight to dvd movies (i assume thats the case for this) to just to be a glorified long episode with as much fan service as possible.

chaos order:
but i still like the card game. itss sooo simple but still evokes some strategy

The card game stopped being good around the time the GX stuff was coming out. Most of the new monsters are unbalanced, more powerful than the older ones at 4 stars, the ultra-powerful super monsters were appearing a lot more than they should have been in the packs, and they changed magic cards to spell cards for no real reason.

Demon ID:
I think it's the general practise for straight to dvd movies (i assume thats the case for this) to just to be a glorified long episode with as much fan service as possible.

It wasn't, this was a full cinema release quite a while ago, and it had four cards given away with tickets to go with it. Mind, it was released just before the main show got bad. Really bad.

The Austin:
AUDIO BAR!

Huzzah!

As for the review, how could you bring yourself to watch 2 hours of this shit?
HOW!?

They cheat on the time length, too, actually. It sits at a Grueling 80 minutes, so rounding it out by Half an Hour Intervals, it's actually almost 90 minutes.

BlueInkAlchemist:
snip

Just to nit pick.

Eternity does NOT mean forever. Eternity means time without end. But as we theorise time will eventually stop (and apparently run backward). Thus eternity does not last forever.

Forever is to be ever lasting regardless of what happens. Thus would exist beyond the end (and reversal) of time.

ALSO: Don't knock the game till you try it. If you've played magic and used to the speed they play at you'll get your mind blown at the sheer break neck speed YGO players fly along at. Most turns consist of about a second because thats about all the patience we have since we more than likely have a one turn kill combo to setup. There are countless different ways to win and its not restricted to colors like magic is.

Evil the White:
snip

They changed it from magic to spell cards because the people who made Magic: the gathering objected to its usage. (or so the grapevine tells)

jasoncyrus:

BlueInkAlchemist:
snip

Just to nit pick.

Eternity does NOT mean forever. Eternity means time without end. But as we theorise time will eventually stop (and apparently run backward). Thus eternity does not last forever.

Forever is to be ever lasting regardless of what happens. Thus would exist beyond the end (and reversal) of time.

Fair point. But the timbre of the narration was just too laughable for me to avoid picking on. And it was within the first minute of the movie.

jasoncyrus:
ALSO: Don't knock the game till you try it. If you've played magic and used to the speed they play at you'll get your mind blown at the sheer break neck speed YGO players fly along at. Most turns consist of about a second because thats about all the patience we have since we more than likely have a one turn kill combo to setup. There are countless different ways to win and its not restricted to colors like magic is.)

Right. Because one-turn kill combos are SO exciting. If you've ever been in a tournament setting, my experience has been that it's never the one-turn kill combos that get people's attention, really. Sure, you might get an ooh or aah, but if your deck is that quick, your match is over in two minutes. That means you have at least ten or twenty to spectate other matches. Which ones, you ask? The one at the end of the table, where two guys have spent the entire time desperately hanging on to their last bit of vitality in a marathon no-holds-barred slugfest that has everybody cheering, because they already blew their loads elsewhere in the room.

That could just be my opinion, though.

Ahhh yes, Yu-Gi-Oh. The animé itself was ridiculous enough by itself, but the following movies (several of them) were even worse. It's indeed laughably bad.

Luckily this paved way for one of the most hilarious parody series to date, Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series:

He even re-made one of the movies itself:

By the power of Greyskull!!!

That and 4 seasons of increasingly hilarious episodes, including some songs and various other random stuff. So many delicious pop-culture references.

Yeah the animé and movies sucked, but at least they spawned some awesome stuff. The card game, while being a weak Magic: TG rip-off, was pretty fun when I was a kid though. It actually made me want to play Magic: TG.

BlueInkAlchemist:
It was shat out by a studio looking milk more dollars

Missing a "to" in that sentence there, might want to add that in. Now for the review itself!

You have my deepest condolences for all the brave brain cells that died while watching what I gather from your description was a horrible abomination - as someone who was never in the position to think Yugi-Oh looked anything other than completely stupid, I was happy to just go about blithely assuming it was crap, but you actually watched it to confirm as such. You are a braver man than I.

You really should go look up Yugi-Oh the abridged series though, as that is actually hilarious, precisely because it's taking the piss out of all the stupid crap you quite justifiably complain about and the whole premise of the show in general. And this is coming from somebody who ordinarily won't even watch anime for aesthetic reasons alone, so you know I'm being truthful when I tell you that the abridged version is almost painfully funny.

I loved watching that movie it was just so TERRIBLE! Sometimes I wish I had hair that would naturally grow as fabulous as yugi's.

heh I remember seeing this stinker in the cinema
good times

Cowabungaa:
That and 4 seasons of increasingly hilarious episodes

CORRECTION!

Only 2 seasons so far. He's only just started on the third.

Calumon: Melvin Yes!

Gildan Bladeborn:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Missing a "to" in that sentence there, might want to add that in.

Corrected! Thanks very much.

Cowabungaa:

He didn't just re-make any movie, friend. He remade the very movie I suffered through last night.

Sweet, sweet revenge.

Cowabungaa:
Ahhh yes, Yu-Gi-Oh. The animé itself was ridiculous enough by itself, but the following movies (several of them) were even worse. It's indeed laughably bad.

Luckily this paved way for one of the most hilarious parody series to date, Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series:

That and 4 seasons of increasingly hilarious episodes, including some songs and various other random stuff. So many delicious pop-culture references.

Yeah the animé and movies sucked, but at least they spawned some awesome stuff. The card game, while being a weak Magic: TG rip-off, was pretty fun when I was a kid though. It actually made me want to play Magic: TG.

hehe, I came in to post these, bastard.

Nice review. I remember when I used to play the card game and watch the hell out of the show and movies. Despite 4Kids censoring it to oblivion.

I have never actually seen the movie, but I have watched all 5 series of the original Yu-Gi-Oh and play Yu-Gi-Oh 3 Online Duel Accelerator (free game by the by! - so if anyone else plays it then add me as a friend under Timelord91).

So I understand where you are coming from with your bad points with this review but seeing as I am used to said bad points (the card explaining thing for example) from the TV series, I... don't know where I'm going with this....

BlueInkAlchemist:
...snip...

...In America.

(Sorry, had to do it.)

Yeah...the movie...it's actually worse than you say it is.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Snip

Wow... you sat through that entire thing?

Even the Pokemon films aren't that bad.

They made no sense, paddered to the kids to "BUY OUR STUFF!" but they never dumped "well ______ special ablity is to do (insert extremely convient for the situation they are in special ability)" for ever... single... ONE.

For this, I think you deserve a "get out of crappy movie" card.

Go out and treat yourself to a really good movie.

I don't know...

See a Pixar film, you deserve a film that isn't begging you to buy its tie-in crap.

Having actually read the manga (which was serialized in Shonen Jump Magazine here in the states, I must point out that 1) Yu-gi is the Pharoah re-born (which is how he can solve the Millennium Puzzle thing in the first place). 2) The series didn't start out with the card game. Yami Yugi (Dark Yugi aka Pharoah guy) is a master of all puzzles and games. All of them. I think the first battle in the series was with a gatchapon monsters-type game. (Basically small plastic monster toys you get out of those plastic toy gum machine-like dispensers. and 3) Yami Yugi is a bastard. He kills and maims people. At one point in the manga, he draws a circle of gasoline around these gang members and sets them on fire.

Admittedly, I don't know if that made it into the American version of the manga. But this was not a series for kids, no matter how much they nerfed it.

And if you want a manga to make you laugh, intentionally or unintentionally, watch "Bastard!!", which has most of its names based from bad 80's metal bands. The land is named Meta-ricana, or to translate from Engrish, Metallicana. i.e. Metallica. At one point, a character summons "White Tiger". :P The main character is Dark Schneider, based on a German Heavy Metal guy, Udo Dirkshneider. It only gets more stupid from there. Oh, and the High Priest of Metallicana is Lars Ul Metallicana. Need I mention that the lead guy of Metallica is Lars Ulrich?

BlueInkAlchemist:

jasoncyrus:

BlueInkAlchemist:
snip

Just to nit pick.

Fair point. But the timbre of the narration was just too laughable for me to avoid picking on. And it was within the first minute of the movie.

jasoncyrus:
ALSO: Don't knock the game till you try it. If you've played magic and used to the speed they play at you'll get your mind blown at the sheer break neck speed YGO players fly along at. Most turns consist of about a second because thats about all the patience we have since we more than likely have a one turn kill combo to setup. There are countless different ways to win and its not restricted to colors like magic is.)

Right. Because one-turn kill combos are SO exciting. If you've ever been in a tournament setting, my experience has been that it's never the one-turn kill combos that get people's attention, really. Sure, you might get an ooh or aah, but if your deck is that quick, your match is over in two minutes. That means you have at least ten or twenty to spectate other matches. Which ones, you ask? The one at the end of the table, where two guys have spent the entire time desperately hanging on to their last bit of vitality in a marathon no-holds-barred slugfest that has everybody cheering, because they already blew their loads elsewhere in the room.

That could just be my opinion, though.

Actually in YGO they are quite sought after because usually they mind blowing and quite epic.

I've made it all the way to the nationals in the UK and was a regional champion when i played (i havent played for a few years now, not since the dark deck came out)

An example of this would be getting out 3x Shining flare wingman in one turn and destroying his LP in one battle round. The reason this is good win is because of A) how difficult it is to get out 3 of those in one turn and because they are rather underpowered compared to whats available today.

Most one turn kills in YGO are quite complex to setup (the fun ones anyway)

Example with the above mentioned combo:

To get them out you have to do as follows(assuming you manage it):

Play Polymerisation, and combine sparkman with a fusion substitute monster.
This gives first shining flare wingman
Play fusion recovery recover the polymerisation and sparkman from the Graveyard.
Play Polymerisation again and combine sparkman with a second fusion substitute monster.
This gives second shining flare wingman.
Then Play Graceful Charity, which lets you draw 3 cards but then must discard 2 card from your hand to the Graveyard.
If you are EXTREMELY LUCKY you will get a Miracle fusion, a heavy storm and 1 Elemental Heros
Discard the two elemental heros to the Graveyard
Then play Miracle fusion and remove Sparkman and one of the fusion subs.
This gives you a third Shining flare wingman.
You then play heavy storm to clear all spells and traps on the field and pray like hell it works.
You opponent also needs to either have no monsters on his side of the field, or have them in attack mode with less than 2900 ATK.

This combo needs 9 cards. Which is difficult to go through in one turn. It is a very rare combo to pull off and usually only available at the very start of the game and even then it is EXTREMELY hard to pull off. 9 times out of 10 you'll get the miracle fusion instead of graceful charity and have 3 shinings on the field but only powered to 2600ATK each.

IF you manage to pull off the combo listed above you will have 3 shining flare wingman on the field at 2900 ATK each.

Given that you were allowed only ONE graceful charity and ONE heavy storm per deck and 3 each of the rest, its a damn near impossible combo to pull off. Through all the time I played I never managed it, not even once. Just luck of the draw.

So yeah...pretty epic onw turn kill if you can manage to pull it off.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Gildan Bladeborn:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Missing a "to" in that sentence there, might want to add that in.

Corrected! Thanks very much.

Cowabungaa:

He didn't just re-make any movie, friend. He remade the very movie I suffered through last night.

Sweet, sweet revenge.

..Although I am Yu-Gi-Oh fan myself, that abridged movie was fucking amazing. Thank you.

LadyRhian:
Having actually read the manga (which was serialized in Shonen Jump Magazine here in the states, I must point out that 1) Yu-gi is the Pharoah re-born (which is how he can solve the Millennium Puzzle thing in the first place). 2) The series didn't start out with the card game. Yami Yugi (Dark Yugi aka Pharoah guy) is a master of all puzzles and games. All of them. I think the first battle in the series was with a gatchapon monsters-type game. (Basically small plastic monster toys you get out of those plastic toy gum machine-like dispensers. and 3) Yami Yugi is a bastard. He kills and maims people. At one point in the manga, he draws a circle of gasoline around these gang members and sets them on fire.

Admittedly, I don't know if that made it into the American version of the manga. But this was not a series for kids, no matter how much they nerfed it.

That just makes the whole debacle even more sad, for me. They took something with that much potential and watered it down just to sell more cards for a game? *shakes his head in dismay*

The_root_of_all_evil:

BlueInkAlchemist:
...snip...

...In America.

HEY! NO! That is our word! You can't say that because your not American! In America!

:P

Oh LittleKuribo... how awesome you are...

BlueInkAlchemist:

LadyRhian:

That just makes the whole debacle even more sad, for me. They took something with that much potential and watered it down just to sell more cards for a game? *shakes his head in dismay*

Unfortunately this happens to about every concept that runs through Hollywood that has more than a page of backstory.

I like to call it: "When Hollywood fucks with good material" or The Hollywood Effect.

I understand that Yugioh (the show) sucks, but it's so rooted into my nostalgia center that I secretly love it. And yes, I own the movie. *shame*

But the card game is actually really fun.

I understand that Yugioh (the show) sucks, but it's so rooted into my nostalgia center that I secretly love it. And yes, I own the movie. *shame*

and that duel gizmo thing is called a duel disc.

and where Seto Kaiba got his fortune was when he was a kid, he lived in an orphanage with his little brother Mokuba when a rich CEO of a weapons manufacturing company for some reason decided to go to an orphanage and Seto challenged the CEO to a chess match, and if Seto won, the CEO would aadopt him and Seto won and then when Seto took over the company after his father's death, he renamed it Kaiba Corp, and turned it into a Duel Monsters merchandising machine and made even more millions than he inherited from his father.

Ah, I used to love this film as a kid.

I was one of those "OOHSHINY" kids.

The abridged movie is awesome and almost makes up for the unabridged one's existence.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked