$2.50 Reviews: The Departed (2006)

$2.50 Reviews:

The Departed

The Departed is a 2006 crime film directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese. A remake of the 2002 film Internal Affairs, The Departed tells the story of 2 men, both on opposite sides of the law, acting against their true nature in order to help out their superiors. These characters are played by Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio. Supporting those two are Wahlberg, Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and Vera Farmiga.

The two leads, Damon (Left) and DiCaprio (Right)

Set in present day Boston, the film begins with Colin Sullivan (Damon) and Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) graduating from the police academy. Damon is congratulated by Mob boss Frank Costello (Nicholson), and quickly moves his way up in the State Police. Costigan is questioned by the police Captain (Sheen) and his Staff Sergeant (Wahlberg), and is convinced to join up with Costello's crew, in order to be a rat for the police. Sullivan ends up helping Costello by being a mole inside the police force, even while continually improving his position within it, Both men end up facing temptations from either side of the law, all while being as cautious as possible, as being found out would likely lead to severe persecution, or even death.

The Departed is a film that requires you to pay close attention while it runs. It doesn't make it easy on you, having many different characters that are all richly developed. Damon, DiCaprio and Nicholson all play their roles great, and Wahlberg ends up stealing the scene every time he appears. Being the most profanity riddled character in the film, Sergeant Dignam ends up playing a comic relief role, always speaking his mind. This is passed off in the film as him just "acting his own way", and what results is a hilarious performance, which is captivating for the short time he appears on screen. The rest of the supporting cast plays their roles appropriately, although they are greatly overshadowed by the main characters.

The acting isn't the only thing that works in The Departed. In fact, pretty much everything works well. The film is gorgeous, being shot masterfully, and always allowing you to see what is going on. Any mystery that the shots do give is intentional, to allow for the audience to not get bored. The story certainly doesn't allow for times of boredom. Although the story is fairly straight forward, it is told in such a way that it keeps the interest of the viewers. The details really matter in The Departed, and it shows it. After watching the film more than once, (and you will want to watch it again), you will notice details you didn't see the first time. After already finding everything out the first time, you can begin seeing how brilliant the film really is.

One of the more...difficult to watch scenes

One main criticism that I can muster up against The Departed is the fact that while it is a tense film, the two leads never really seem to be in a whole lot of danger. The actors play the roles with a slight bit of fear, as they should, but it doesn't always seem appropriate. Sure, if one gets found out, heads will roll, but for the first two-thirds of the film, this really doesn't come close to happening. The final third is definitely the best part of the film, and will not allow you to turn way in disgust, even though you may want to. The tension rises along with the body count, and the finale ends up being both shocking and exhilarating. The ending does seem to come about fairly quick, but when you think about it, the abrupt finish fits well into the film.

The Departed is a superb film, I can't argue that. It's got great acting, is well paced, expertly shot and never boring to watch. The characters are all interesting and developed, with Mark Wahlberg stealing the show in a more comical role. Morals are questioned, choices are made, and the end result is pure brilliance. It likely could have more tension, as the two main characters seem to avoid truly dangerous situations. Regardless, The Departed is a film that requires watching. It's an intelligent thriller that will leave your heart pounding. You'll end up caring for the well developed characters, despite ending up disliking yourself for doing so.

If you are a fan of $2.50 reviews, and you want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join this user group.

Good review, man!

I still have yet to watch this movie.....ugh. I just keep putting it off.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is one of my favorite movies. Some of the dialogue between Dignam and Alec Baldwin's character(can't remember his name)was just pure gold, especially when some of it was ad-libbed. And, man, Jack Nicholson makes an awesome bad guy. Makes me want to watch it again.

When you've seen Infernal Affairs...The Departed...yeah. It's still a great movie though, gotta love Mark Wahlberg swearing in every line and garnering a nomination for it.

lol watching the movie as we speak type. It is so good

Hmmm, perhaps I should give this movie another shot. I watched it when it came out, and was less than impressed. I do tend to come into movies that have a ton of "star power" (like this one) with tons of skepticism, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Great Review and a little backstory. My dad is a Mass State Cop and so he knows about this. There are still A LOT of people in jail from this whole thing.

Julianking93:
Good review, man!

I put it off for a while too. I'm definitely glad I finally got around to watching it. It's very good.

Marter:

Julianking93:
Good review, man!

I put it off for a while too. I'm definitely glad I finally got around to watching it. It's very good.

Yes, you did indeed put it off for a while. You chose to watch stuff like Hitman before this. *sighs and shakes head sadly*

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to murder you. Very well done review, although I would argue about there being little tension for the two main characters in the first 2/3s of the film. There isn't much tension for Damon's character I'll admit, simply because his job as a mole doesn't really come into play until he rises up the ranks in the police department, but I found DiCaprio's performance to give the tension in his character more gravitas. It wasn't so much whether they would find out, but more wondering if he would snap while undercover, as he was under such mental stress and DiCaprio really portrayed that well without being over the top.

Also,

Marter:
The Departed is a 2006 crime film directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese.

Damn straight!

Great review. Ill have to go check this out.

I agree 100%. Your point about the ending is very true, it seems abrupt but it suits the movie. It's a great film with strong characters. They also used "I'm Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murhpys.

FargoDog:
Yes, you did indeed put it off for a while. You chose to watch stuff like Hitman before this. *sighs and shakes head sadly*

Don't worry, I'm going to try to stay away from bad movies for a while. =p

"CLIMBIN' UP THE TOP SAIL, I LOST MY LEEEEEEEEEEG"

I love this film, though it's ruined slightly by the campy, over the top moment at the very end, just before the credits, when a badly CGI'd rat scurries across the balcony.

Nicholson was excellent, as he always is, insanely creepy and often times darkly hysterical. It ruins it a bit when you watch Batman with him in it before this film though. You find yourself asking "Why doesn't the Joker have red lips anymore?"

We're of a mind on this one. The Departed's a masterpiece.

That was a good review overall. And I fucking love this movie. It surprises me how well Marky Mark can perform when given the right direction. I couldn't believe how horrible he was in The Happening after he was so great in this.

-Zen-:
That was a good review overall. And I fucking love this movie. It surprises me how well Marky Mark can perform when given the right direction. I couldn't believe how horrible he was in The Happening after he was so great in this.

Hey!

I kind of liked The Happening...

But yes, I like Wahlberg. He's one of my favourite actors.

Marter:

-Zen-:

Hey!

I kind of liked The Happening...

But yes, I like Wahlberg. He's one of my favourite actors.

So did I, and not because it was "ridiculously horrible" as many people keep saying. Though, after watching and discussing certain scenes I'm starting to understand why people keep saying that. >.>

Anyways! Yet another review I fully agree on. You did a great job with backstory, and descriptions, I want to watch this soon as well... perhaps tomorrow night will be a movie night!

See, what I really enjoy about your reviews is that when you like a movie, and state why, I really want to watch it. Persuading and informing the reader to either watch or skip a movie is exactly what you want to do. :)

Parallel Streaks:

De Niro was excellent, as he always is, insanely creepy and often times darkly hysterical. It ruins it a bit when you watch Batman with him in it before this film though. You find yourself asking "Why doesn't the Joker have red lips anymore?"

What ... what the hell?

De Niro isn't in this film.

ItsAChiaotzu:

Parallel Streaks:

De Niro was excellent, as he always is, insanely creepy and often times darkly hysterical. It ruins it a bit when you watch Batman with him in it before this film though. You find yourself asking "Why doesn't the Joker have red lips anymore?"

What ... what the hell?

Many apologies, when I wrote that comment I hadn't slept for days, and I somehow managed to confuse Nicholson and De Niro. I honestly don't know how.

Parallel Streaks:

ItsAChiaotzu:

Parallel Streaks:

What ... what the hell?

Many apologies, when I wrote that comment I hadn't slept for days, and I somehow managed to confuse Nicholson and De Niro. I honestly don't know how.

Yeah, and at the time I wrote that I didn't know Nicholson had even played the Joker, so it was doubly confusing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked