Opinionated Reviews: The Mentalist

This will be the last of my weekly reviews; from now on I'll post them every two weeks.

Comments and questions will be answered on the companion blog, so please leave your thoughts!

Sadly my Youtube has been blocked, so I will have to wait until Wednesday to comment. I will add my thoughts in an edit of this. Also interesting read on your thoughts about subjective reviews. You really think there can be no objective ones?

Also interesting read on your thoughts about subjective reviews. You really think there can be no objective ones?

I wish reviews could be truly objective. It would make things so much simpler.

Sadly though, the more complicated a thing we're referring to, the further from objective it gets. Example: Cars. At it's most basic there are certain quantifiable features of a car: four wheels, internal combustion, mostly metal parts. And you can, to a degree, quantify more abstract features: safety crash test ratings, handling, brakes. But when it comes down to it, what you really want to know is, is it a good car?

Answer: depends on what you want. The most expensive, most nimble, fastest sports car on the market is a terrible car if you need something to get four kids to soccer practice on Teusday.

So yeah. Reviews, not objective.

Now video reviews and reviews of tv series are things that I have no experience in so I can't provide much feedback beyond "I liked it, keep it up."

As far as the objectiveness of reviews go, I agree that it can never happen which is why adding numerical scores to a review is nothing but a ploy to get your review linked on metacritic (talking about pros here, there is actually no point at all in scoring a review on an amateur level). Personally, I like to role with the subjectiveness, I acknowledge that it's there and don't try to go against it. It's good to hint at how subjective you are being though.

Stranger of Sorts:
Now video reviews and reviews of tv series are things that I have no experience in so I can't provide much feedback beyond "I liked it, keep it up."

Well thank you for SAYING that you don't have any criticism this go-round. The issue I tend to have is that I'll get sixty video views and no comments. At all. Kind of frustrating not to know if people liked it or not.

But I enjoy making them, and I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, too.

Very nice review. Your voice is both pleasant and intelligent. The blog is a great touch too.

Quick question: Are you ever going to review Leverage, or Burn Notice? I liked both of them, and it would be interesting to see your take.

Good review. You hit all the key points and were very entertaining. As for the show, I always preferred Psych, myself.

Quick question: Are you ever going to review Leverage, or Burn Notice? I liked both of them, and it would be interesting to see your take.

They're both on my list, actually. I'm watching Stargate: Universe for next time, but since you've expressed an interest, I'll do Burn Notice after that.

Thanks for your input!

I liked it. Also i like your voice lol. Don't know how to describe it though lol.

Savant Crime:

They're both on my list, actually. I'm watching Stargate: Universe for next time, but since you've expressed an interest, I'll do Burn Notice after that.

Thanks for your input!

I met the main casting director for the Stargate series at some workshop recently. However, I don't know how this knowledge will help you... I suspect it won't.

By the by, Tankichi, that's feminine that you're hearing in Savant Crime's voice. Most guys like that.

Good review by the way. I'll think of some criticisms later if you want. :)

Good review by the way. I'll think of some criticisms later if you want. :)

Please do!

Savant Crime:

Stranger of Sorts:

Well thank you for SAYING that you don't have any criticism this go-round. The issue I tend to have is that I'll get sixty video views and no comments. At all. Kind of frustrating not to know if people liked it or not.

But I enjoy making them, and I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, too.

It's good that you enjoy doing them because for some reason people seem hesitant to comment, even though some of them know that just one comment makes a reviewer a lot happier.

I can't really talk about lack of comments though as JoetheKoella (or however he spelt it) ran-up some numbers about other reviewers when he stopped doing it. Apparently I get the most comments :S

Stranger of Sorts:
Apparently I get the most comments :S

Maybe because you post all of your reviews to the same thread?

Just a guess. ;)

Savant Crime:

Stranger of Sorts:

Just a guess. ;)

Nope, used to have a series going called "It's About Time" which was me reviewing old games. I could fish out the box I had of all the links to my reviews, but I'll do that later.

Stranger of Sorts:

Savant Crime:

Stranger of Sorts:

Just a guess. ;)

Nope, used to have a series going called "It's About Time" which was me reviewing old games. I could fish out the box I had of all the links to my reviews, but I'll do that later.

No, no thanks. I believe you.

I think maybe written reviews would get more comments anyway. I'm not sure WHY, but my brain tells that it would make sense. And I agree with it.

Savant Crime:

Stranger of Sorts:

Savant Crime:

Stranger of Sorts:

Just a guess. ;)

No, no thanks. I believe you.

I think maybe written reviews would get more comments anyway. I'm not sure WHY, but my brain tells that it would make sense. And I agree with it.

Hmm yeh there may be an element of that. Anyway, I think I've bumped this thread enough and gotten you enough extra views so I should probably stop now :)

Stranger of Sorts:
I think I've bumped this thread enough and gotten you enough extra views so I should probably stop now :)

Actually only about a quarter of my views come from The Escapist this week, and The Mentalist is doing the best of all my videos so far.

But if you want to keep talking and keep the thread up, I certainly don't mind.

Excellent, simply excellent. Obviously there's some minor technical stuff with the sound and video, but the delivery and content, the core part, is fantastic. After watching this I went back and watched your other videos, all of which are of a very high standard, but I do have two quick questions:

1. With regards to your Sherlock Holmes comment in this video, have you watched the three episode pilot for the new BBC series Sherlock?

2. In the same vein, do you have any plans for review any British TV series (Doctor Who, Skins, Queer as Folk and the like) in the future?

Knoxy:
1. With regards to your Sherlock Holmes comment in this video, have you watched the three episode pilot for the new BBC series Sherlock?

2. In the same vein, do you have any plans for review any British TV series (Doctor Who, Skins, Queer as Folk and the like) in the future?

1. Actually I'm terribly purist about my Sherlock Holmes. I don't watch any adaptations, and I haven't read any of the stories that weren't written by Doyle. I suppose I COULD, but I fear that my personal feelings on the subject matter would interfere with the review too much.

2. I can put more British TV on my list (I'm just not very aware of them, but since you've asked), though Doctor Who is right out. It's right there with Star Trek in that I don't think that I can properly critique it because no matter what I say some rabid fan will find out where I live and burn my house down for daring to look cross-eyed at their beloved Doctor. I'm actually kind of scared of the fans in that regard. If my reviews get to be more popular, so I can worry less about offending people (not that I worry a whole lot as it is) I'll put Doctor Who on the list.

And I'm glad you like my videos! I'm taking this Sunday off, but after that Stargate: Universe will go up if you're interested in taking a look.

Nice review, however, I think you ought to talk a little slower, sometimes it's quite difficult to hear what you're saying, and you end up sounding like you just ran a marathon at times. You might want to consider getting something better in the ways of microphones as well, but that's not really that much of a deal.

Overall nice review though, you bring up good points, and make a fair and balanced impression.

Arachon:
Nice review, however, I think you ought to talk a little slower.

I've toyed a little with slowing down, but I actually physically can not do it. I speak quickly anyway, and my first several reviews weren't at all rushed (from my perspective). The only one that I've tried to rush was the second Heroes video, the others are just me talking.

I think the problem may be more that I don't bother to edit out every single breath. And that, I can definitely start doing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked