$2.50 Reviews: The Road (2009)

$2.50 Reviews:

The Road

The Road is a 2009 post-apocalyptic film starring Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-Mcphee as characters that do not even have names. Referred to as just "The Man", and "The Boy" respectively, largely due to the fact that names no longer matter, The Road tells a tale of the most basic human instincts; survival. Based off Cormac McCarthy's book of the same name, The Road is, in a sense, a realistic travel log about how the world would look after some sort of disaster that puts an end to things as they are now.

Not knowing what the disaster was is something that really is representative of the entire film. Nothing really is ever explained in great detail, leaving the viewer wondering what really is going on in the world shown on screen. This isn't a bad thing, as it allows the film to continue being incredibly bleak, but it makes me wonder why the film needed to have voice-over work done by "The Man". It seems that a lot of effort went into making the setting ambiguous, so having "The Man" explain a lot of it just seems out of place. This dialogue does allow you to connect with him on a more personal level.

You can really tell the struggle the characters face

The lead characters actually make a good contrast to one another. "The Man" is the one who is most worried about surviving, while "The Boy" is a character who feels responsible for the rest of the world, not just himself. Pretty much every time a character comes across the pair, "The Man" wishes to keep moving, and ignore the other traveler, while his son wishes to help them by offering clothing or food, something they never seem to have enough of.

In fact, the majority of the film is more or less the father-son duo looking around deserted buildings for supplies. Most of the time, they find very little or even nothing at all. The film really makes you feel for what these characters are going though. However, when the characters are put in dangerous situations, the sudden shift in tone really amps up the excitement and tension of the movie. The gravity of these scenes is really felt, as is the world that is built around them.

The Road really isn't a happy film. It's bleak and depressing, for the most part at least. The skies are grey, the sea is grey and the forests are grey. Practically everything shown on screen is grey, apart from a singular Coca-cola can that the two find. The sense of dread, that they are alone in the world is also prominently featured. The pair really only have each other to rely on. Apart from that, they really do have nothing.

Mortensen plays his role really well

This relationship is brought across quite well by the actors. Viggo Mortensen especially plays his part really well. His blinders are set on surviving and protecting his son. That's more or less all there is to his character. He'll stop at nothing to accomplish either task, and Viggo shows that in almost every scene. Kodi Smit-Mcphee's character on the other hand wants to help out the entire world. Unable to do this, he continually questions the nature of life. His acting job wasn't nearly as good as Viggo's, but it fit the character that he was playing. The supporting cast, few as they were, was decent whenever they appeared on screen. Charlize Theron appeared in flashbacks throughout the film, and while she showed little emotion, it fit her character's current state of mind. Robert Duvall also shows up at one point during the film, providing one of the better cameos in recent memory.

Even though not all that much happens for the majority of the film, it stays entertaining to watch. Looking at the struggle that the two lead characters have to go through just to survive really is something to marvel at. The relationship between the two characters drives the film, with "The Man" being a character more or less looking just to survive, while his son is looking for hope in a world that doesn't offer much. A bleak depiction of a post-apocalyptic world is what The Road has to offer, and that might not be something many people want to see. It's a hard film to watch at times. It shows how the world may very well end up some day, and it isn't a place that you wouldn't want to be a part of, let alone raising a child in.

If you are a fan of $2.50 reviews, and you want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join this user group.

I probably won't check this out. I generally dislike films that don't really go anywhere and instead decide to just be a 'travel-log', no matter how good the acting or characterization is. Plus, I hate the colour grey with a burning passion.

As for the review, you used 'really' quite a few times, which was a little distracting. Perhaps one should stop being lazy and proof-read? :P But apart from that, it was very good. Despite being a positive review, it told me enough about the movie and how it worked to help me make the decision it wasn't for me, which is something that's quite hard to pull off.

FargoDog:
I probably won't check this out. I generally dislike films that don't really go anywhere and instead decide to just be a 'travel-log', no matter how good the acting or characterization is. Plus, I hate the colour grey with a burning passion.

As for the review, you used 'really' quite a few times, which was a little distracting. Perhaps one should stop being lazy and proof-read? :P But apart from that, it was very good. Despite being a positive review, it told me enough about the movie and how it worked to help me make the decision it wasn't for me, which is something that's quite hard to pull off.

Hmm...CTRL+F tells me I used 'really' 11 times. You're right, that is too much. I know I should proofread, but you know how lazy I am. We'll see about the review tomorrow. I might proofread it. Maybe.

Marter:

FargoDog:

Hmm...CTRL+F tells me I used 'really' 11 times. You're right, that is too much. I know I should proofread, but you know how lazy I am. We'll see about the review tomorrow. I might proofread it. Maybe.

If you really can't be bothered, I'll proofread it for you beforehand.

FargoDog:
If you really can't be bothered, I'll proofread it for you beforehand.

=D

That's nice of you to offer. I might have to take you up on that. :p

This is a film that you made sound absolutely....unimportant. Don't get me wrong, you did alright (Still not really any negatives there though. Show a few of those!), but from what you say the film is about a guy talking about himself and his son living. That by far is possibly the most boring way to put it, and that is kind of what I draw from this.

Regardless, I'm not much of a movie guy, so this is something I could easily not watch and probably never have to worry about, and your review just solidifies this.

This film has a sense of atmosphere that most movies just can't obtain. I actually felt depressed after watching it. I truly did enjoy it though. One thing I think you should have mentioned is the frequent reference to the boy as a Christ figure. The boy is a symbol for all that is good and innocent in the cannibalistic evil world humans now inhabit.

Good review, Martar.

I agree with most of what you said though you only briefly mentioned the one thing that bugged me most.....

The fucking kid in the movie was awful!!!! I understand his character's actions and his view of the world, but the kid's acting was just horrid. So much so that it took away from the movie itself for me.

I saw this a little while ago, so depressing that I had to watch a comedy afterwards. Excellent film though. And I agree with you, its a difficult film to watch.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked