$2.50 Reviews: The Village (2004)

$2.50 Reviews:

The Village

The Village is a 2004 horror film directed by M. Night Shyamalan, (The Happening). It tells the story of the inhabitants of an isolated village who stay there because of the creatures that live in the forest surrounding it. It stars Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody and Bryce Dallas Howard as some of the residents of the village. Shortly after the film opens, creatures start breaching the borders and leaving 'warnings' for them. Given the fact that this is a Shyamalan movie, there are bound to be some twists and turns to the story that I don't want to give away. Although, to be honest, the film might have actually been better if there hadn't been any.

If the cape was red, a wolf might have shown up to make things more interesting

The story ends up being incredibly silly after it is all said and done. While there are a couple of big twists, they actually hurt the overall plot of the film. Once you learn what's really going on, pretty much all tension gets taken away from it. There just isn't much else to go off of once the big reveal occurs, and the film has to be propelled about another half hour based on the principle of true love alone.

In fact, the last portion of the film ends up being just a blind girl stumbling through the woods. The whole thing ends up being kind of boring by the end, with no tension moving the story forward. We don't even really get a proper conclusion. There is some resolution, but it is an unsatisfactory one. It's like if someone forced you to watch a drama, where a character is lying on a hospital bed. The film then decides to end before we find out if the character lives or not. While not the same situation that occurs in The Village, that same type of dissatisfaction is what you end up getting.

The only positive thing to be said about the story is the love-story between the characters played by Joaquin Phoenix and Bryce Dallas Howard. Seeing as how this pretty much has to carry the final part of the film, it's good that the actors have chemistry together, and the love between the characters does come through. They do seem to genuinely care for one another, and while the time they actually spend together is relatively short, it still manages to be an integral part of the film. This is good, because the film really ends up lacking when it comes to being a horror film.

Even when there still is something to be afraid of, you rarely feel scared. There isn't really a single moment in the film where you need to feel worried, even when the creatures are attacking the village, you never feel for any of the characters. There is nothing to care for in the village, and even if everyone in it were to die, there is practically no reason to care.

I think the main reason for this is because there is no character development at the beginning of the film. A tragedy occurs right the way, sending everyone into a panic mode. We don't get to learn about any of the characters because they are reacting to outside stimulus right away. They get put in the right mindset before we even get to know them. This leads us to not know about their personalities, and ultimately makes them mean absolutely nothing to the audience.

The film degenerates into a half hour of this

The acting, while not terrible, doesn't really impact the film for better or worse. While none of the actors do a poor job, nobody really stands out either. They're there, and they play their parts just fine, but since you don't care about anyone in the film, the jobs they do don't end up mattering much.

If there is one positive thing to take from the film, it's the fact that it has a nice musical score. It was actually nominated for an Academy Award for Best Musical score. So, if nothing else, if you decide to watch it, you'll have something nice to listen to. It's also shot nicely, with nothing being wrong with the editing. There's always something to look at, and while things do often get boring, things are usually going on.

The Village is a film that opened with a bang, and this ultimately ended up hurting it. None of the characters get to develop right off the bat, meaning that when disasters occur, you don't care for any of them. The twists that the plot goes through end up being silly, and hurt the story. If nothing else, the score of the movie is nice, so at least while you are nodding off from the lack of genuine scares, the music will help you in your quest for sleep.

If you are a fan of my reviews, and you want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join this user group.

I've started to notice that you have a tendency to use certain words like really, pretty much, and kind of; safe words. Although these words may describe how you felt or what you saw/experienced more accurately, sometimes it comes off as if you're either unsure or that you're trying to avoid saying anything definitive. Not that you're wrong for using them, or anything, just thought I'd let you know.

Even so, another good review! The Village is one of those movies that although I was left saying "Wtf...?" at the end, I did enjoy it, even if it was more towards the original premise, and not the actual film.

This movie was alright. The end was kind of surprising, and I found the twist rather interesting. Overall, it was a decent movie. Not memorable, but good if enough if you have to do a project on it.

Another good review, and the guy above me is right about the common words used.

zombiesinc:
I've started to notice that you have a tendency to use certain words like really, pretty much, and kind of; safe words. Although these words may describe how you felt or what you saw/experienced more accurately, sometimes it comes off as if you're either unsure or that you're trying to avoid saying anything definitive. Not that you're wrong for using them, or anything, just thought I'd let you know.

Dang it, she's onto me...

Uh, you basically got what I like to do. I don't really like being all that definite. Although, now that it's been pointed out, you'll probably like the next review more. Maybe. Unless it is absolutely dreadful and you'll never want to speak with me again after reading it.

*goes to cry in corner*

:p

It's a terrible movie, to be sure. It's just so boring.

Never saw this movie, and after reading this, I think I'll give it a miss.

Macgyvercas:
Never saw this movie, and after reading this, I think I'll give it a miss.

Good choice. Not much point in seeing this film.

I saw this in theaters and again a few months afterward when I bought the DVD and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I thought it was a good movie, not great but not terrible. It's about average for a Shamallamalan film, on a scale between The Sixth Sense and The Happening.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that this movie was the one that propelled Adrien Brody to fame before King Kong solidified it.

I remember my teacher talking about this movie, she made it sound like a Psychedelic movie which would make you gasp as every turn and really enjoy for it thought provoking ideas.

But honestly, all it did for me was simply pull a fast card of 'Memento Mori', where once I watched the movie, I could re-watch and say things like "Yeah, this parts now makes sense".

Marter:

zombiesinc:

Dang it, she's onto me...

Uh, you basically got what I like to do. I don't really like being all that definite. Although, now that it's been pointed out, you'll probably like the next review more. Maybe. Unless it is absolutely dreadful and you'll never want to speak with me again after reading it.

*goes to cry in corner*

:p

You must accept your faults in order to move on as the mightiest reviewer this website has ever known, Marter! Go forth and rectify your route! :P

Seriously though, apart from the habit that she mentioned(and that you rectified the very same day) this has been yet another '$2.50' review, with the format and content come to be expected :)

Now go make a movie.

I remember watching this just after it came out on DVD. I didn't like it. It's also probably one of those films that have absolutely no value in watching it again, as once you know the twist the majority of the movie actually comes off as quite pointless.

As for the review, a few things were kind of niggly. The last line of paragraph two could probably be worded better, but apart from that it seemed fine.

Sinclose:
Now go make a movie.

Give me a budget, a good camera, and the programs required, and I will. :p

Actually, that's what I'm hoping to go study after high school *fingers crossed*

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked