$2.50 Reviews: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

$2.50 Reviews:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

There's a problem that comes with filming two films back to back. The problem comes from the second of the two films. The first film can easily be bad, and if that is the case, chances are these mistakes are not going to be fixed in the sequel. The film will already have been shot, so the only hope of the issues being fixed is in the editing of the already shot footage. In the case of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, it doesn't even seem like the problems present in Dead Man's Chest were even attempted to be rectified.

'Anyone know who all these characters are?'

In the, at the time, final installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, we continue from the storyline of Dead Man's Chest. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) is back, and must lead William Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and the rest of the crew from the previous two movies into Davy Jones' locker to bring Jack Sparrow back to the face of the Earth. After rescue, the crew must get together the pirate lords of the Brethren Court in order to defeat Lord Beckett (Tom Hollander), and Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), who is now sailing under his command.

One of the main problems that Dead Man's Chest had was that the story was unfocused, and that many of the characters had no room for development. This is even more prominent in At World's End. There are even more characters to deal with this time around, as each of the pirate lords need to get a decent amount of screen time. They are interesting, but we don't get to know anything about them, save for the country they originate from. The main cast doesn't get further development from the previous films, and more or less just continue on with whatever motivations they had in the previous installment. This is especially true with Swann and Turner, as their desires and ambitions were all laid out in the last film; now they just have to follow through with them.

That's really what At World's End is. It is a continuation of Dead Man's Chest, and only serves to finish the story that was started previously. Yes, this is something it should do, because leaving a story unfinished would be an incredible letdown, but it would also be nice to have some entertainment to go along with this conclusion. This is something that the third Pirates movie does not have a lot of.

The first two films were, if nothing else, entertaining. The first film was humorous, action-packed and fresh. It stays that way on multiple viewings. The second film, while not as funny, still boasted great action sequences. At World's End doesn't really have either of those. It still does have large-scale action scenes, but they aren't as exciting as ones in the previous entries. They're bigger, but on the whole less memorable. The most memorable scenes from the first two movies were arguably the one-on-one, well choreographed sword fights. They were plentiful, and the most exciting parts. In this film, there is one big sword fight scene, and it only occurs right at the end, meaning there isn't much leading up to it.

Also gone from the previous films is the humor. There aren't all that many times where you'll be laughing. This film is more serious in nature than the rest, and the times where it does try to be funny, you can tell that it is trying too hard. The jokes come off as forced, and make you wonder how much longer the film is going to go on for. That's another problem with the film. It, like Dead Man's Chest, is too long. The story is complex enough that it could fill its runtime, but it isn't engaging enough to keep you interested.

'I'm worried for this franchise...'

If there is one positive to be had, it's that the score of the film hasn't changed all that much from the first two films. It is still nice to listen to, and while there are a number of tracks that are taken from previous installments, they still fit the mood of the film nicely. The composers of the soundtrack need to be commended for creating the sole high-point of the otherwise lackluster final part of the trilogy.

At World's End seemed to be the dividing point of the series for its fans. It brought an unnecessary back-story to a film that didn't need any more complexity to the story. It also managed to get stale with its attempted humor, as well as having some scenes that were more boring than the previous installments in the series. At World's End is the low-point in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. There isn't much freshness left, so it will be a surprise if the fourth film ends up being any better. Although, the series has had some time off, so unlike this film, maybe the next one will fix the numerous problems.

If you are a fan of my reviews, and you want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join this user group.

Ugh. I really dislike At Worlds End. I actually thought technically it was a very narrative on the side of the sense and it just completely fell apart. Seriously, I have no idea what went on in most of this movie.

Marter:
This is even truer in At World's End.

That's.. Pretty bad grammar. Apart from that, you're stupid and I don't like you. /trollpost.

In all seriousness, twas good. And I'm putting off Snow Angels for a bit, as I simply can't write at the moment.

FargoDog:
Snip

Huh. Word actually auto-corrected what I had originally wrote and put in that. Meh, it's changed now.

Also...NO SNOW ANGELS? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marter:

Huh. Word actually auto-corrected what I had originally wrote and put in that. Meh, it's changed now.

Also...NO SNOW ANGELS? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah-ha! You're precious notepad has failed you!

There will be Snow Angels soon. I'm blaming the fact I've had about three hours of sleep since Sunday <.<

FargoDog:
Ah-ha! You're precious notepad has failed you!

There will be Snow Angels soon. I'm blaming the fact I've had about three hours of sleep since Sunday <.<

Notepad didn't do it. It's when I was spell checking in Word. That's what messed me up.

And that's fine then. Don't want a sub-par review. Now...SLEEP!!!

Marter:

Notepad didn't do it. It's when I was spell checking in Word. That's what messed me up.

And that's fine then. Don't want a sub-par review. Now...SLEEP!!!

To be honest, I didn't even know truer was actually a word. It just sounds off.

And yes. Maybe. Perhaps.

FargoDog:
To be honest, I didn't even know truer was actually a word. It just sounds off.

I thought so too, but I trusted Word!

Wait, there is going to be a fourth one?

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Anyway, I agree with you on this one Marter. Despite having a great battle between The Flying Dutchmen and the Black Pearl and the swordfights at the end; it didn't have much going for it. The multiple Johnny Sparrow stuff at the beginning was only a bit funny, not nearly as funny as the first or even the second film.

It was kind of long and slightly below average on the replayability scale. It could have been much better.

Redlin5:

4th, and since it will inevitably do well at the box office, probably a 5th and 6th as well. Looks like we've got a second trilogy on our hands...

Marter:

Redlin5:

4th, and since it will inevitably do well at the box office, probably a 5th and 6th as well. Looks like we've got a second trilogy on our hands...

First Starwars, now this... I hope this doesn't become a new trend in Hollywood.

Redlin5:

First Starwars, now this... I hope this doesn't become a new trend in Hollywood.

If something makes money, it gets sequels.

I mean, they made 4 FREAKING ANACONDA MOVIES. 4 OF THEM!!!

If that doesn't scream "cash-in", nothing does.

Great review Marter. Very assertive and to the point.

As I already said, I can't really remember these installments as separate movies, so I can't really say if I agree. I'm also a little bias, I love Depp, and Jack Sparrow. >.>

I'm of some minority that actually liked all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I thought the 3rd was plenty funny and interesting, if yes, a bit, unfocused in narrative. I've watched it at least half a dozen times now.

zombiesinc:
Great review Marter.

Is Great > Solid, or is it the other way around? :p

As I already said, I can't really remember these installments as separate movies, so I can't really say if I agree. I'm also a little bias, I love Depp, and Jack Sparrow. >.>

I really like Depp, and Spaarrow is one of my favourite movie characters...but I still didn't really like this film.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked