Ultraviolet

Credits:

Director: Kurt Wimmer

Violet: Milla Jovovich
Six: Cameron Bright
Daxus: Nick Chinlund
Garth: William Fichtner
Nerva: Sebastien Andrieu

It seems odd that I liked Ultraviolet at all. Seeing how much negative publicity the film got after its release, I was easily ready to pass it off as a forgettable film, something that had no substance and wouldn't stay with me after watching it. I gave it a shot anyway, somewhat due to me believing I'm more professional than I actually am, but also because I don't trust the opinions of other people. So, in my quest to prove other people wrong, I decided to give Ultraviolet its fair shot. I was pleasantly surprised.

It was an okay film. There's nothing to write home about, but also nothing to really hate. It's a film that had some exciting action sequences, an attractive visual aesthetic, and an interesting plot, but also some unlikable characters and some lackluster acting and writing. It's by no means a terrible film, and it is entertaining for the most part, but its problems are likely to make some people dislike it.

Jovovich's hair color changes constantly

Said issues are primarily in its characters. Milla Jovovich's Violet is the main problem. Forced to carry the majority of the film by herself, Violet is an emotionless character. She doesn't show any emotion, or act like a relatable character. We learn that Violet has 36 hours to live, due to her being a "hemophrage", or, as the media calls them, vampire. This disease heightens the senses, increases strength, but also decreases lifespan to approximately 12 years. Violet's time is almost up, and instead of dying quietly, she decides it would be fun to go and kill some humans. She hates humans, as she tells us, and would like to see them all die.

After stealing a package from some humans, she ends up protecting a boy whose blood supposedly has an antigen with it. We are told that this antigen could potentially be reverse-engineered to cure the disease that Violet has been inflicted with. The child was originally to be delivered to other hemophrages, but Violet takes him and ends up on the run from both the hemophrages, but also the humans she stole him from. All the while, showing absolutely no emotional attachment to the world she will soon leave.

Even though Violet isn't a great character, the main thing that you want to see in this film is the action scenes. In this case, the film achieves its goal. Violet has to shoot, hack, or otherwise get past hundreds of enemies throughout the course of the film. These scenes are fun to watch, and they don't get boring. Violet can seemingly spawn guns or swords at will, so she always has a way to overcome her obstacles.

Another thing speaking to the film's quality is the vision of the future director Kurt Wimmer gives us. It's a futuristic dystopia, and if nothing else, it looks great. The visual aesthetic is superb, and it means that when there isn't a fight scene going on, you still have something to look at. As a matter of fact, a large part of the second act is like this. There isn't much action in this portion of the film, and instead, we are given the only attempt at realistic characters and drama.

This is Jovovich trying to show emotion...

This is where the film falls flat. It's sad, but with characters this flat, there isn't much to see during these segments. Sure, this is where most of the plot is explained to the audience as well, but when Ultraviolet tries to act like a drama, it fails. It needs to stick to the action, and when more than 20 minutes occurs between large-scale fight scenes, it gets boring.

There is a problem with the action scenes, and that problem is with the enemies standing in Violet's way. They don't pose any threat, and end up being gunned or cut down with relative ease. She doesn't seem to have any challenge taking them all out, and there isn't any time in which you need to worry about her losing. The only enemy that seems to have any effect against her is time, something that she is quickly running out of.

Thankfully, Ultraviolet doesn't stick around very long. You can't dwell on the plot that long, because the film ends before you get that chance. It lasts just around 90 minutes, and its quick pacing is helpful in making you overlook its flaws. There aren't many times where it does try to develop its characters or story, and this is a good thing, because they are the weak point of the film.

Ultraviolet's action scenes are definitely what carry it. The visual style surrounding these scenes are interesting themselves, and make a great backdrop for some of the exciting fights that occur throughout the film. It's weak in its plot and characters, but doesn't give you time to think about them due to its quick pacing. Ultraviolet is a fun little film. It plays like a B-movie, but takes itself a slight bit too seriously at times to keep that tone up. Don't expect a great film, but it is a good, entertaining piece.

If you are a fan of my reviews, and you want to boost my ego receive notifications when new reviews are posted, please join this user group.

The picture in the credits ain't appearing, and your notification message should have said 's'il vous plait' :P

It's a well written review, and as for the format, my only nibble would be to place the credits thing to the left and 1st picture to the right, but that's just me :P

Keep it up Marter! ^_^

Sinclose:
The picture in the credits ain't appearing, and your notification message should have said 's'il vous plait' :P

Does the picture appear now? And I will go change that, I was just waking up, apparently I can't do French at the early hours. >_<

This movie's a lot like a glass of soda pop. It's fizzy, tasty and gets you pumped but it's not memorable. You don't spend a lot of time thinking or talking about it. "Wow, man, that glass of Mountain Dew was banging!" You drink it and use its momentum to move on to something more interesting.

I like Ultraviolet. I don't love it and I certainly, definitely do not hate it. I'd watch it again. Your review perfectly captures why I feel this way about it, and why I don't watch it all that often.

Nice work!

It saddens me to no end that this was Kurt Wimmers follow-up to Equilibrium. :(

I'm going to be honest and say I don't really like the new format thing. It's kinda distracting and it's not really necessary information. Most of the time you're talking about the lead actors and director in the review anyway, unless there's nothing interesting to say about them, so the little block thing just gets in the way. That's just my opinion though. Sorry :/

So, it's a sci-fi thriller by the director of Equilibrium with bad characters and acting a weak plot? I think I'll pass on this one.

It was a good review. I may have liked it better but that's probably me being influenced by memories coming back to me on how much I hated this movie. Not only was the plot bad, it was just boring. This was the only movie that I have seen with Milla Jovovich in it, and I won't feel disappointed if this is the last one. Very rarely do I care about mediocre acting, but the overall acting in this film made me cringe.

The changing hair color was cool.

I would have to say that I like this layout of the review. I find it a little bit easier to read.

Nice review by the way!

Scde2:
It was a good review. I may have liked it better but that's probably me being influenced by memories coming back to me on how much I hated this movie. Not only was the plot bad, it was just boring. This was the only movie that I have seen with Milla Jovovich in it, and I won't feel disappointed if this is the last one. Very rarely do I care about mediocre acting, but the overall acting in this film made me cringe.

Your new avatar is incredibly cute.

What does this have to do with the review, you ask? Absolutely nothing.

I'm totally thrown off, both Fargo and Scde2 changed their avatars. :o

Thankfully, Ultraviolet doesn't stick around very that long.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel towards the credits inclusion. I think it makes the top half of your review feel crowded. Also, most of the information isn't very relevant to the review, or important to many readers.

As for the movie, I... honestly don't remember it. I'm sure I didn't like it though, I mean, otherwise I probably would have remembered it at least a little more.

And another great review! Great and solid go hand in hand. ;)

zombiesinc:

*giggles uncontrollably due to immaturity*

I'm sorry. I'm going to stop being incredibly off-topic now. <.<

FargoDog:

zombiesinc:

*giggles uncontrollably due to immaturity*

I'm sorry. I'm going to stop being incredibly off-topic now. <.<

Ugh... I didn't even realize I did... that... wow. >.<
Thanks for pointing it out, poopy head!

Marter! You know what I mean though, right? >.>

FargoDog:

Scde2:

Your new avatar is incredibly cute.

What does this have to do with the review, you ask? Absolutely nothing.

Uh. Thank you. //_^

And yours is, uh...also cute XP

zombiesinc:
I'm totally thrown off, both Fargo and Scde2 changed their avatars. :o

Excellent! Stage 1 of our plan is complete. >:)

Scde2:
Excellent! Stage 1 of our plan is complete. >:)

Yes.. And soon.. The world will be ours! NYHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You got the memo, right?

zombiesinc:
Marter! You know what I mean though, right? >.>

Yes, I got it. ;)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked