Removed

I have removed my words from this site.

Sadly this review doesn't seem to have gotten very much attention. I guess the User Reviews section is not very popular itself, and that many of the escapist's users aren't probably that interested in literature, so the target audience isn't very large.

Another reason for this may be that the review looks just huge. It took me time to get into and could lessen some people's interest in it, which is unfortunate, because this is in my opinion one of your best reviews.

After I started reading the review, I found it very interesting. The writing was enjoyable and the quotes nice - except the Atlas Shrugged's quote, which was a bit long and I didn't agree with all it's assumptions and ideas (if they represent the whole book). Though if the quote represents the style and ideas of the book accurately, then I can't really blame you for it.

Now that I got that out of the way, this review made me get Nation much earlier than I would otherwise have acquired it. Terry Pratchett is my favourite author, so I always had an interest in the book, but I was more intrigued by the Discworld novels I hadn't read. However, shortly after reading this I got the book, and at a few dozen pages I was totally drawn in it. I would regard it as my personal favourite Pratchett novel alongside Thud!.

And yes, the ending made me cry too. It was in a way optimistic, yet sad.

But while you made me more interested in Nation, I give you more credit for pretty much introducing me to Kurt Vonnegut's work. The review got me interested initially, but soon I almost forgot about him. However, lately our Finnish teacher assigned us to read "a foreign classic" (with "classic" being a very broad term). When I was searching for a book, my mother randomly picked this from a cabinet and asked if it would be okay. I was ready to dismiss it by a swift glance because I had never heard of it, and - I'm embarrassed to admit - the cover looked very boring (and, as I later found out, misleading) to me, but I just happened to see and remember the author's name from your review.

And that's why I decided to give Galápagos a try, and it was very original, experimental and exciting. The only problem was that I hate reading translations when I could read in the original language, and the school assignment basically forced us to do that.

Regardless, I am now having a great time reading the english version of Cat's Cradle and soon Slaughterhouse-Five, so thanks for this review.

And sorry if my post turned out messy like my posts usually do.

(By the way, does posting here count as necroing? It would be silly to post this on another review and I think reviews don't "get old" like some other threads may, so I decided to post here).

I finished Cat's Cradle before replying and must say that it is one of my favourite books of all time. At first I wasn't that charmed by the short chapters, but soon almost all of them started being fascinating, funny or exciting so that I always wanted to continue. It also had very funny bits and Bokononism is charming and appealing. And yes, the ending is very poignant.

Though I (and possibly you, too?) think the protagonist is quite bland. He seems to be there mostly to channel the information and events to the reader, and doesn't affect things that much. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I don't think he is quite as bland as some other protagonists.

A note to this gap: according to Vonnegut's wikipedia page he ranked Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five the best when comparing his books, so that's why I also borrowed Slaughterhouse. That list doesn't however contain his newer works, like Galapagos and Bluebeard.

And about the Atlas Shrugged quote, I intended to say about the same thing you did, but reading my previous comment now I certainly presented it badly - saying "Though if the quote represents the style and ideas of the book accurately, then I can't really blame you for it" sounds very much like a whiny, disappointed "well, I guess you did your best" style of a comment, and that certainly wasn't my intention. After all, you're reviewing the books, not necessarily advertising them or anything, so you need to give a correct picture of them and that's exactly what you did. Sorry about that.

Vonnegut means a lot to me. I'm always glad to hear of other people enjoying his work. He somehow manages to be fatalistic, cynical, and hopeful all at the same time.

Anyway, it goes without saying that you should read Slaughterhouse Five. Reading it before you read his other work actually gives you a better perspective and context in reading his other books. Reading his collection of essays, A Man Without a Country, will do the same. Mother Night might be his best work overall, though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked