Gildan's Guide to Good Music: Witchbreed - Heretic Rapture

Gildan's Guide to Good Music

The world of music is a vast ocean of crap - join me on a voyage to the tiny isolated islands of excellence.

As the tagline not so subtly suggests, it's really easy to find terrible music - you have but to turn on your radio, and lo, bad music abounds. The good stuff though, well that's rarely quite so easy to find, and while some popular music actually deserves the accolades it receives[1], most excellent music languishes in comparative obscurity. And that's where I come in!

If it's thought provoking, epic, eccentric, or exceptional (or possibly all of the above), I take it upon myself to write about it in the hope that at least one of the comparative handful of people who actually read my rambling and rampantly egotistical definitely quite humble reviews will find it useful[2] - or if not useful, at least momentarily entertaining; I take what I can get really.

Tonight[3] I'm going to talk about a female-fronted metal band that will challenge what you think you might know about female-fronted metal bands. Whee!

Witchbreed

Heretic Rapture

Musical Genre: Progressive Dark Metal (Yes, that's really a thing.)
Running Time: 49 minutes
# of Tracks: 13
Particularly noteworthy songs: Symphony for the Fallen, Firethrone, Ruby Light of the West

You may recall that I've expressed my appreciation for the world of Metal bands with female lead vocalists in the past - in point of fact I've made several bands that would fall under that broad classification the focus of previous Guide to Good Music articles; based on those examples you probably think you have some idea of what this band is going to sound like (though the odd genre I listed might throw a wrench in the mental works). Well that mental impression is almost certainly dead wrong, for reasons I'm going to ramble on about for a while (yay rambling!).

While the smattering of bands I've presented to my readers so far could hardly be said to encompass every possible style you'll find under the "female-fronted Metal band" umbrella, there are certain points of commonality that most Metal bands featuring female lead vocalists tend to adhere to:

The 4 tendencies of female-fronted Metal bands.

1. She will be the only woman in the band - this is true so often that Metal fans include it on semi-satirical lists of the "Rules of Metal".

2. The band probably has pronounced "Symphonic" elements - if you're the sort of band that is going to bring in choirs, hire a string section, or go with a full-blown orchestra, the odds are pretty good that you also have a female lead vocalist; I am not exaggerating when I tell you that almost every female-fronted Metal band I'm aware of (a lot) is a Symphonic Metal outfit.

3. The vocalist either sings in a clear sweet soprano or an operatic soprano - from time to time you might find a band with a clear sweet alto instead of a soprano, but they are pretty much always clear and sweet (or operatic).

4. The female vocalist is often paired with a male vocalist performing "harsh" vocals - it's a vocal combination frequent enough that there's a name for the style (Beauty and the Beast), generally considered to have been pioneered by Norwegian band Theatre of Tragedy.

Meet a band you've never heard of that breaks rules #2 and 3 (and doesn't conform to #4 much either).

Witchbreed hail from Portugal, and they're what you get when long-time musical collaborators (Dikk, Ares, on guitar and bass respectively) with backgrounds in Progressive and Black Metal who've shared a vision for a band for years encounter a particularly singular vocalist (Ruby Roque) and realize she was perfect for their until that point hypothetical sound; the addition of a second guitarist (Filipe Sousa) and drummer (Tiago Lopes) completed their line-up. Heretic Rapture is their 2009 debut album, and oh what a debut it is! I want to really stress here that when I say that, as far as good first impressions go, Heretic Rapture is damn near perfect, I am in no way exaggerating - the album is really that good.

Something a fellow Metal fan wrote shortly after I showed him Witchbreed:

Rhayn: Went ahead and bought the Witchbreed album.

Fuck yes.

That is all.

It's also hard to describe/classify - I've seen people[4] call them 'Gothic Metal', and while I can see why they would do so it's a designation that doesn't really stick. See, Gothic Metal bands certainly have a tendency towards darker lyrical content and themes, but to say that the word "bombastic" goes hand in hand with "Gothic Metal" is understating things somewhat, and while you definitely get the darker lyrical themes with Witchbreed, you won't find any bombast on Heretic Rapture: there's no Latin chanting, choirs, strings, sweeping orchestral segments (either via keyboards or an actual orchestra), or any of the other usual trappings of a Gothic Metal outfit.

What you do have are instrumentals that merge a highly progressive structure with techniques more common in the 'darker' segments of the Metal spectrum, forming the foundation upon which the vocal contributions of the most aggressively powerful female vocalist I have ever heard in any genre ever (really) are laid down; the result is a gloriously beautiful sonic onslaught that absolutely demands you sit up and pay attention. The dynamism in Ruby's delivery and the sheer power she puts behind it is just ridiculously impressive stuff - to say that 'sweet' is not a good description of her sound is a... slight (massive) understatement; if other female lead vocalists are beautiful angels, she's a ferocious Metal warrior goddess.

Other bands going for this sort of hard-hitting approach with a female lead would almost certainly bolt on a lot of male growling to add the missing aggressive edge, but Ruby more than provides that while singing cleanly from start to finish; there are some growling male vocals on Heretic Rapture (and some clean male backing vocals as well), but those are exceptionally intermittent, with only 3 songs featuring any growls at all - good news if you're the sort who doesn't much care for growling. Further good news for growling haters: even the songs that do have growling barely have any growling, there's maybe one of two lines towards the tail end of the song and that's it, so if the presence of growling is a personal sticking point for you then you should absolutely not let that stop you from giving the tracks I have embedded below a listen, as this is as growl-free as you can get without actually being, you know, growl-free. If you like growling, then think of the few bits where that happens as an added bonus of sorts, and listen to the tracks I've embedded because they're awesome with or without growls.

If all went according to plan, you didn't notice my cut-rate infiltration team's clumsy attempt to hide behind your sofa heartily enjoyed the music I just showed you, and will be subconsciously trained to call me your lord and master by all the hidden transmitters my cut-rate infiltration team planted in your bedroom will now call me your lord and master! Wait, I mean will want to keep reading Guide to Good Music articles. Yes, that's obviously what I meant to say just now but didn't for reasons that are completely mysterious and in no way should be looked into by say... snooping around your bedroom for hidden transmitters that probably don't exist anyways (ha ha!). You can trust me because my subliminal transmitters tell you that over and over while you sleep, really.

At the urgings of my entirely fictitious legal team (something about "self-incrimination is bad"? I wasn't really listening since they're so very fictitious), I'm going to wrap this up now - until next time, I remain your future lord and master the author of a self-proclaimed Guide to Good Music, wishing you eternal subjugation! Or possibly happy listening? It was definitely one of those two things.

Other entries in Gildan's Guide to Good Music

Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR
Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
Ride The Sky - New Protection
Karmakanic - Who's The Boss In The Factory?
The Romanovs - ...And The Moon Was Hungry...
Penumbra - Seclusion
Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything
Octavia Sperati - Grace Submerged
Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte
Allen/Lande - The Battle
Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Todesbonden - Sleep Now, Quiet Forest
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
After Forever - After Forever
The 69 Eyes - Back In Blood
Red Circuit - Homeland
Hurt - Vol. 1
Myrath - Desert Call
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
Arjen A. Lucassen's Star One - Victims Of The Modern Age
Agua de Annique - Pure Air
Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry
Taal - Skymind

Want to be notified whenever I post a new Guide to Good Music article? Well then join the Guide to Good Music notification service group, and you'll receive a notification whenever I post a new Guide to Good Music article! Huzzah for truth in advertising.

[1] In which case it is certainly good music, but you don't really need me to tell you about it, now do you?
[2] Whether that's always the case is debatable, as these articles of mine generally don't receive a great deal of comments or views - but that's okay, since I write mainly to amuse myself. Feedback, while nice, is merely an optional extra.
[3] Or to be more accurate, very early this morning.
[4] One of whom was actually me, prior to a more critical analysis.

Gildan Bladeborn:

It's also hard to describe/classify - I've seen peopleOne of whom was actually me, prior to a more critical analysis. call them 'Gothic Metal', and while I can see why they would do so it's a designation that doesn't really stick.

I agree, and I'm not sure I like the Dark Metal thing... It just doesn't seem to be a definition, more a copout lol. I'm thinking Progressive Doom, or maybe Progressive Gothic... I do like Progressive Doom. Seems to fit pretty well. But then, her vocal style doesn't really fit Doom Metal...
Although, I haven't really heard a lot of there work yet. Maybe I'll get back to you.
Anyway, nice review, I'm not sure how I missed your recommendation in the Metal Group, but I'll certainly get this album at least.
I'll have to go through all your other reviews some day when I get time. I see you reviewed Katatonia, I already know that band is awesome. Have a few songs from The Great Cold Distance. I think they were from Metal Hammer or something, only have four of them...
Devin Townsend Project, and Allen/Lande I've heard a few songs. Like them. But I'm sorry to say the rest I've never heard of, or are unfamiliar. A few names sound familiar, but I can;t bring anything to mind.

brunothepig:

Gildan Bladeborn:

It's also hard to describe/classify - I've seen peopleOne of whom was actually me, prior to a more critical analysis. call them 'Gothic Metal', and while I can see why they would do so it's a designation that doesn't really stick.

I agree, and I'm not sure I like the Dark Metal thing... It just doesn't seem to be a definition, more a copout lol.

Yeah, I don't really think that works as a definition either, but it's what Encyclopaedia Metallum had listed as their genre and there wasn't a great deal of alternate perspectives to consult - Witchbreed is obscure enough that they don't even have a token entry on Wikipedia, heh.

Anyway, nice review, I'm not sure how I missed your recommendation in the Metal Group, but I'll certainly get this album at least.

I definitely like to hear that sort of response to these articles, yay.

I'll have to go through all your other reviews some day when I get time.
I'm sorry to say the rest I've never heard of, or are unfamiliar. A few names sound familiar, but I can't bring anything to mind.

Well in that case you're exactly the audience I aim to reach: someone who would probably appreciate those bands, but currently doesn't because you've never heard from/heard of them. I can only hope you'll find my previous mad ramblings a useful resource!

Ooh neat. This seems like the sort of thing that's right up my alley. There are quite a few characteristics of Thrash/Extreme Metal that I really, really like, but most bands in those subgenres tend to do so much wrong that the bad clouds out the good. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait on getting this album awhile, as stuff you've suggested or mentioned is already going to be eating up enough of my Yuletide Auditory Finances.[1]

[1] I challenge anyone to come up with a sillier way to say "iTunes money for Christmas."

I really like this actually. Good find. Has a lot of elements I appreciate.

WhamBamSam:
Ooh neat. This seems like the sort of thing that's right up my alley. There are quite a few characteristics of Thrash/Extreme Metal that I really, really like, but most bands in those subgenres tend to do so much wrong that the bad clouds out the good. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait on getting this album awhile, as stuff you've suggested or mentioned is already going to be eating up enough of my Yuletide Auditory Finances.[1]

As far as excuses go, being broke from buying a bunch of the other things I've steered you towards is a pretty good one, heh. Also I think you will probably win that challenge.

Tallim:
I really like this actually. Good find. Has a lot of elements I appreciate.

Happy to be of service!

[1] I challenge anyone to come up with a sillier way to say "iTunes money for Christmas."

Sounds like Within Temptation but heavier, guitars tuned lower.

The overall darker sound lends credence to the band's attitude as a metal group. I liked the guitar work in Eternal Exile and the short melo-death spiel in the middle of Eden's End; Flashes of independence from the usual sound of symphonic/progressive female-fronted bands. Breaking the mold is always good, though I found myself wanting more of that than given. If they can build on those cross-genre dabbling songs they could produce some very interesting work in future. Hopefully the band feels the same way and doesn't drop it entirely. Will keep my ears open in hope of that.

I had heard of Witchbreed several months back but it fell from memory when I couldn't find any material. Thanks for the reminder, nice review.

Marq:
Sounds like Within Temptation but heavier, guitars tuned lower.

The overall darker sound lends credence to the band's attitude as a metal group. I liked the guitar work in Eternal Exile and the short melo-death spiel in the middle of Eden's End; Flashes of independence from the usual sound of symphonic/progressive female-fronted bands. Breaking the mold is always good, though I found myself wanting more of that than given. If they can build on those cross-genre dabbling songs they could produce some very interesting work in future. Hopefully the band feels the same way and doesn't drop it entirely. Will keep my ears open in hope of that.

I had heard of Witchbreed several months back but it fell from memory when I couldn't find any material. Thanks for the reminder, nice review.

Glad I could serve as a helpful prod to the ole recollection center. As for the potential future output of Witchbreed, I am likewise curious to see what they'll do in the future; we'll probably have to wait a while though, as I believe their status is currently "on hold" while Ruby deals with the rigors of an apparently risky pregnancy (or so the last message on their Myspace page indicates).

I haven't been very active lately, luckily the notification thing has a list of reviews and I was able to pick up on what I've missed.

So now I can say this!

Went ahead and bought the Witchbreed album.

Not much else to say here, this band went right up my alley of what I like.

Scizophrenic Llama:
Went ahead and bought the Witchbreed album.

Not much else to say here, this band went right up my alley of what I like.

Yay, now I can say that I've convinced at least 3 people to buy this album (and a 4th that he wants to buy it, heh) - a hat trick! Glad I could be your conduit to musical enjoyment.

I doubt you'll find what I'm planning on writing about next quite so revelatory, what with our mutual take on how everything Arjen Lucassen does is awesome - not much chance of me acting as your introduction to an album you originally suggested I should review after all, heh.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked