Stupid Beyond Relief Reviews: Condemned- Criminal Origins

Scary scary scary scary scary scary....

SBR Reviews

It's a scary game!! *ahem*

-----Lotion Please-----.
-----Lotion Please-----.

Okay. The story starts off smoothly enough. You're a SCU agent (Serial Crime Unit investigator that uses forensic tools) Ethan Thomas who's been called in to search for clues in a horrible murder of a young girl. Of course, to add suspense, you start off in a abandoned building no less. There you are introduced to the many many things your character can do. Being able to jump NOT one of them. Which is a shame. As expected, things go haywire within 10 minutes of the game as your superiors are killed by a murderer*gasp* and you are framed for the murder. The police is now after you and the only help you are granted with is the assistance of Rosa, a forensics investigator at headquarters. Your target? Serial Killer X. A murderer who kills other murderers using their own brutal, grotesque techniques.

Game breaker right there!
Game breaker right there!

The game is a true horror game. It's almost always viewed from a first person perspective and only offers a few cut-scenes in the entire time you are playing this game. Unlike other modern 'horror' games[1], this game relies on the make-or-break system of fighting. Almost all weapons in the game are melee weapons 'cause, frankly, getting the gun breaks the game[2]. The player is also equipped with a tazer gun which is really effective in taking down enemies. It requires a little time to recharge though so I recommend using it wisely. The player is equipped with the instinctual ability to detect whenever forensic evidence is nearby, allowing players to bring up the forensics tools when appropriate. They are helpful in sweeping the area and finding clues which will help you proceed to the next level. As the player is the main protagonist after all, he is subject to superhuman strength as demonstrated by his ability to recover quickly from electrocution, long falls, and blunt trauma to the head, among other life destroying attacks.

Heyyyyy! Scary scary scary.  O.O
Heyyyyy! Scary scary scary. O.O

Which brings us, finally, to the enemies. They are evil, creepy, psychotic and down-right scary. While this game has a flair of supernatural in it, the enemies really shine in this game. They are smart and are hard to beat. If you lose them from your sights, be prepared to be surprised. They will effectively use the surroundings to their advantage such as hiding behind pillars and the likes. Most of the levels take place in darkened areas, so always be vigilant! They are also smart enough to feint. That is, they can pretend to be dead so when the player comes near, they can do their deed. Very clever. And scary.

To make sure that the player are constantly on edge, the enemies are on the same ammo reserve. So whatever you find after the fight, that's what you're getting. This encourages the player to use melee weapons or quickly dispatch enemies. Clever.

The scare factor in this game is definitely present. There's even a supernatural element which just waltzes in without any explanation. Which is fine, 'cause this game is just perfect the way it goes. The dark and creepy locations to the eerie enemies. It all fits in perfectly into one hell of a experience.

CONCLUSION:

I said it already. It all fits in perfectly into one hell of a experience. APPROVED!

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] Save for a few exceptions.
[2] Shotgun FTW!

An awesome review.

An awesome game.

An awesome guy.

'Nuff said really.

LupusDei:
An awesome review.

An awesome game.

An awesome guy.

'Nuff said really.

And your awesome for agreeing with me! *highfive*

I played this for the first time a few weeks ago. Excellent game, I even played it a second time immediately afterward, something I rarely do.

I even had a nightmare about this game a few days after I played it. Scary as hell...

Great review!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked