Let's Play The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall! Round Eighteen

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

DAGGERFALL

Table of Contents:
Introduction and Character Creation: This post.
1. The Emperor's Request
2. Escape From the DunZOMGASKELETONHELPHELP!
3. The Haunting of Daggerfall (With Me Spazzing Out)
4. Failed Thief Runs Errands, Advances Plot
5. I Got Ninety Nine Problems, But A Scorpion Ripping My Lungs Out Ain't One
6. Havoc Is Wreaked, Then Flees With Its Tail Betwixt Its Legs
7. I Desperately Try to Entertain You as Bloody Nothing Happens
8. Bethesda's Random Generation Algorithms Are EVIL.
9. These Clothes... So Heavy... So - Wait! Plot Advancement!
10. It's Noisy Enough to Wake the Dead In This Crypt!
11. The Chance to Summon An Incredibly Dangerous Daedra Costs WHAT?!
12. Gold Farming
13. The Most well-Read Thief in Hammerfell
14. The Long Dangerous Journey to RAWR
15. The Two Most Pointless Quests Ever Taken
16. Simple Girl, Simple Quest, Simple Embodiments of Fleshy Horror
17. Epic Short Update Because I Fail Planning My Schedule
18. Breasts Everywhere!

Wanna get alerts each time the LP is updated? Join this group!

Hello everyone! I'm Knack, and I wanna play a game with you!

Round Zero: I Exist!

Note: This is just character creation. If this post is too wordy and complex, just skip straight to Round One, as the character has already been made.

Daggerfall awaits...

Spellthief

Rob the Blind (an "in joke" for me... just indulge me) failing that just Rob

Mix backstab, pickpocketing, stealth lockpicking etc with destruction magic. Or if you dont feel like using lockpicking just take the spell for unlocking stuff to replace that skill.

Since I am afraid that I'll never get to play it (though I very much want to)

...I like dark elves. I don't know why. Other than that, play with whatever will keep you sane and overpowered.

darth.pixie:
Since I am afraid that I'll never get to play it (though I very much want to)

...I like dark elves. I don't know why. Other than that, play with whatever will keep you sane and overpowered.

Arena and Daggerfall are free downloads from the website. You just need to fiddle with them a little and in arena's case use Dosbox.

Layz92:
Arena and Daggerfall are free downloads from the website. You just need to fiddle with them a little and in arena's case use Dosbox.

Thank you. I was afraid I may have to dig for it.

...Now to find the time for it.

Although I don't want to have anything to do with how your adventure goes out, I'm book marking this thread so I can check back every now and then to see how it pans out.

Hell if i decide the game looks cool, I might actually get daggerfall (I know its freeware now but im still uncertain.)

darth.pixie:

Layz92:

Thank you. I was afraid I may have to dig for it.

...Now to find the time for it.

I included the link to the game and instructions on installing it in the OP. I can see why you'd miss though.

They're a couple paragraphs above the first map picture.

Always take immunity to magic if you want the best advantage; I'm pretty sure taking it means that you become immune to all forms of magic, including stuff like disease and paralysis. I generally take darkness-powered magic as a disadvantage because Daggerfall is all about exploring labyrinthine dungeons anyway. There is nothing on the surface that magic is really good for. Might as well forbid some of the rubbish armor classes too.

As for personality, be the most cynical thief in all of Tamriel. Pickpocket everyone you meet. Even rats. Especially rats.

So, we have a name, a race, some skills, and some advantages suggested. Let's get this show on the road!

Round 1: The Emperor's Request

Our character has been created. Yay!

Thank you Layz92, darth.pixie and Chal for the parameters.

Our character is a Dark Elf, named Rob, of the character class "Blind". A "blind" is a thief with many magical tendencies. His final stats are as shown below:

Here is a portrait of him on the status screen.

And here are his advantages and disadvantages.

If anyone knows of any reason why this character should be undone and made different, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

And so finally, off we go!

Awesome! I am completely and totally pumped for this adventure now! Looks like we'll avoiding the usual Elder Scrolls theme of starting the game in hopeless entrapment -

Well, isn't THAT convenient.

It's my fire. I'm very proud of it.

Also, on my todo list:
Beef up my sneaking skills.
Learn a decent attack spell.
Learn a healing spell.
Learn a lockpicking spell, because normal lockpicking isn't very useful.
Learn a good Invisibility spell.

Seriously, this is all I start with. I'd be best off starting this with a dagger, maybe I can focus on magic when I have some that doesn't make me ashamed.

Anyways, up the tunnel we go.

I can hear a rat squeaking.

Hah! Who's afraid of rats! I think I'll just sneak up on it and -

HOLY CRAP! WHAT KIND OF RAT IS THAAAAAAT?

*face gets bitten off*

Nah, it was an easy fight. But still... FREAKY RAT!

Also: Ewwww. That's kind of extreme for just stabbing a rat in the face.

Coming Up: Will we escape this place? Will the rats be any less terrifying? What else awaits us? Will I stop failing at sneaking up on things? Stay tuned for round two!

That rat will haunt my nightmares...

Gods...

Is the introduction custom by class or race or is it default?

...And am I the only one who thinks Rob looks like Kain from the Legacy of Kain?

Loving the LP so far. You made me laugh a lot and scare my cats.

darth.pixie:
That rat will haunt my nightmares...

Gods...

Is the introduction custom by class or race or is it default?

...And am I the only one who thinks Rob looks like Kain from the Legacy of Kain?

Loving the LP so far. You made me laugh a lot and scare my cats.

Yay! I don't suck! :D

The opening is default, by the way.

Round Two: Escape From The DunZOMGASKELETONHELPHELP!

Having defeated the World's Most Horrifying Rat, I think we should continue exploring the dungeon we're in.

A couple of turns later, I find a door. Obviously, doors inside dungeons always lead to unimaginable treasures, and that sound that sounds like a fly eating a spider must be irrelevant.

OH HELL NO!

I'VE CLEARLY FALLEN INTO RED EYE DUNGEON!

However, because our reader Chal is an exemplar of good reasoning, I am entirely unaffected by some imp's puny bolts of terror and lightning. DIE, IMP!

Are those its brains?! Wow, this is gruesome.

I continue through the hallways further. Here, we encounter a new source of screaming terror: GIANT BATS.

Yep, red eyes. Should have guessed.

Also, I found out that all rats are still horrifying monstrosities from hell, but at least they are less so when not crouched beside, when my face is not shoved into their stinking, matted bloody fur, or when they are getting an ebony dagger betwixt their hellish red eyes.

This is me, stabbing a rat in the face. As usual, it falls into steaks any butcher would be jealous of when it finally curls up and dies.

Anyways, a little more exploring resulted in me locating a pretty woman with a third of a shirt.

Mmmmm... maybe she'll take that hood off, loosen that shirt, and -

...stick a big sword up my bum. How erotic.

Apparently, she doesn't like it either.

Man, this girl has horrifying fetishes.

Or maybe... just MAYBE... she kills people just because she LIKES KILLING? There's no sexual reasons for it at all?!

Oh, of course not. She wouldn't wear a semi-existent tunic bra-less if she wasn't into that sort of thing. Still, what a squicky thought.

Still, I'm in pain now, and will not spare mercy upon anyone I meet. At least they don't have red eyes... NO. NO MERCY WHATSOEVER.

EDIT: Youtube just through a hissy fit, so just imagine me running up to someone, slaughtering him in the face, and stealing his armor.

Yay, I now have a piece of armor! Should I unbalance my armor for attractive results, or balance it for maximum protection? Drop me a comment with your opinion!

Anyways, continuing onwards. There's stairs here, clearly they lead somewhere importanOH MY HEAVENS WHAT IS THAT PANIC PANIC PANIC ZMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG RUNAWAY NOTFASTENOUGH KILLKILLKILLKILLLLLLLL!

Hell is that noise.

Having hopefully thoroughly enjoyed watching me have a panic attack at the sight of a third of a person (I should probably start trying to sneak past things), I can now climb the stairs.

At the top, there is a throne.

I AM NOW KING OF THE RED-EYED WORLD!

...Now I'm done with that.

Look! A lever I wanna pull it -

Naturally, it sends the throne up, and when I look up, I see a route forward. I can't use it, though, because I wasn't sitting in the damn throne.

So, when there's a throne that goes up a sheer rock face when you pull a lever, and it goes up to a place you want to be, how do you proceed?

You climb up yourself, of course.

Like a MAN.

One very loud hallway and two gruesome murders later -

I find the EXIT from this dungeon.

FREEDOM!

Since I was tasked to go to Daggerfall, the capital, I probably should make haste.

Well, this could take a while. That's the price of a massive game map.

But, I trekked it. And eight days later -

Yay! Maybe they have food here, so I can stop eating snow!

Coming Up: READER DECISION! ... What the hell do I do now? Go talk to the royalty? Go do tasks for the villagers? Join a guild? Join a temple order? Go pick pockets? Go to an inn and eat myself fat? Let me know!

Forget about attraction. You're here to kick ass and take names! Maximum protection.

The animals and enemies are more terrifying than in all other Elder Scrolls games. And the blood is ..urgh.

Now, get money, buy great equipment, make some tasks for the peasants to level up and intimidate the royalty. It's not fun unless they are shivering in their little golden-threaded slippers.

I used to love Daggerfall, the game was buggy as hell though, kept falling through the world.

i signed up for the site just to say i bookmarked this.

it's good to see a non-video lets play, and of probably one of my favorite favorite favorite games ever too.

speaking of which, do some petty quests for random people! they're always good fun.

i signed up for the site just to say i bookmarked this.

it's good to see a non-video lets play, and of probably one of my favorite favorite favorite games ever too.

speaking of which, do some petty quests for random people! they're always good fun.

Don't know if mentioned yet, just found this great LP and started reading in thread one.
But for all of you willing to play without meddling with DOSBOX there are pre-configured packs of ElderScrolls Arena and Daggerfall that include DOSBOX

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Arena_:_ArenaSetup_EN

Heh I started playing daggerfall again thanks to this thread.

Anyway: random villager related quests are always fun so let's start there :D.

I would suggest joining a Thieves Guild (or Assassins guild if it exists). Because Most everything else is a simple "go to point B and kill whats there".

So what have you got for your controls, its hard to play with the default.

Layz92:
I would suggest joining a Thieves Guild (or Assassins guild if it exists). Because Most everything else is a simple "go to point B and kill whats there".

That's not my experience.

And I'm not joining the Thieves or Assassins guilds until a later date (you'll understand).

Excuse the gloom.

This was going to be my next review target after Fable, hehe.

Oh wells, awesome LucasArts Adventure games it is then. CHAAAAAAAAARGE! :D

I love the way it says 'X just died' :P

You don't get that in games nowadays...

Anyway, I started Daggerfall, but it annoyed me too much to continue (no, you can't do main quest! You must be level 5!). I may pick it up again...

If only I was born a few years earlier, then I would have picked this up in a heartbeat.

I was born 5 days after this game was released in '96.
I'm so proud.

OT: Good Let's Play. I like the non-video style. I will continue to follow this.

smearyllama:
I was born 5 days after this game was released in '96.
I'm so proud.

OT: Good Let's Play. I like the non-video style. I will continue to follow this.

If you like non video lps check out the ones over at the Something Awful LP archive

Sorry for the gap there - homework is evil.

Round 3: The Haunting of Daggerfall (With Me Spazzing Out)

So, here we are in the Capital of Daggerfall.

Pretty.

Hold on, I just wanna check the map of this place...

OK, I want to get some clothing. There's a general store over here.

I hope they have good stuff -

Oh. How very... sensual.

I now present for your viewing pleasure... MYSELF!

Eh, the Egyptian girl look doesn't fit me. Oh well.

Nothing in the store caught my fancy immediately, and it's all so very darned expensive. I'll have to remember to sell any stolen stuff I have in this guy's shop. He buys well.

Anyways, I'm looking for weapons, armor, and clothes. There's a peasant over there, I bet that if I ask politely, he'll give me directions to the nearest -

I think he'd prefer a less eloquent approach.

I HAVE INFORMATION! I HOLD DOMINANCE OVER THE PUNY PEASANTS! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

There's another on over there.

Wow, people around here like the blunt approach. I'd probably better shove off before someone gets really offended and calls the guards on me.

Anyways, it's getting dark. I'm not sure I want to be out here when the jolly old King comes out screaming for his persecutor's head, I'm not in the mood to fight an army of demons. Time to find an Inn.

This one will do.

FOOD! <om nom nom>

I realize about here that this is the best time to go out and burglarize things - the dead of night.

Maybe the Emperor was exaggerating, and the whole "King Screaming for Vengeance" thing was just metaphorical. I'm gonna go steal junk.

So... the next morning...

I've spent every last penny I had, but now I have a stylish cloak, a second dagger (not dual-wieldable, sadly), as well as usable shoes.

Oh, and a horse.

Anyone got a name for her? She's gonna come in handy when running from guards, because I can't run for dump. I'm gonna need to be stealthy, and ride like the freaking wind if I get caught.

I'm not gonna steal things around this city, though. Not with evil king of terror trying to eat my freaking soul.

Also, because I am, in fact, a Spellthief, I should probably join the Mage's Guild for the spellmaker.

YAY!

OFF TO THE SPELLMAKER

The spellmaker in this game is glorious. I'll use an Open spell to explain how the magic system in this game works.

Each stat is governed by duration, chance of success, and magnitude. That's simple enough, although a bit more complex than, say, Oblivion's spellmaker.

I can raise the spell's chance of working, but this significantly raises the cost of the spell. VERY much so. So much so that it's not really worth it.

I can also raise the power of a spell by assigning a bonus per number of levels I am. This is even more expensive.

Here, we see the true power of the game's spell system. The game doesn't let any one character have a ton of spell points, but as you can see here, a level 20 character will have a fail-proof unlocking spell for a relatively low casting price. I adore this idea, and can't wait to become a high-level caster so I can pull off impossible things.

This is my target spell - a decent invisibility spell that lasts just long enough to sneak in a backstab something to death, but lasts a bit longer at higher levels.

Unfortunately, making spells is expensive. I have no money.

Looks like it's time to do quests and steal things.

Coming Up: I start raising money so that I can run around and steal things. No matter what Chal said, I already regret taking the "Lowered Magery in Light" trait, invisibility would be nice for pickpocketing without drawing guards' attention.

Oh well, at least my horse (whatever you people name it) is nice and fast.

Call the horse Binky (edit: oh wait you said female scratch that then).

Also don't forget to get levitate at some point, that's always a fun spell.

Joe Deadman:
Call the horse Binky (edit: oh wait you said female scratch that then).

Also don't forget to get levitate at some point, that's always a fun spell.

It's necessary if you suck at running/jumping/climbing (which I do). I'll get it, don't worry.

Name: Jeeves Mc Jugooloo
Class: thief
Personality: dickhead.

Should be fun.

imnotparanoid:
Name: Jeeves Mc Jugooloo
Class: thief
Personality: dickhead.

Should be fun.

You're kind of out of it. My character has already leaped into existence, escaped the first dungeon and wandered around the first city.

And I'm making the next update as we speak.

Bleh... it's been a while, but I had to reload over two hours of gameplay because I fell down in a dungeon and couldn't get back out. Sorry. Stupid randomly generating dungeons. Lesson to you people: Either learn to jump and climb right away, or learn levitation right away.

Anywho:

Round 4: Failed Thief Runs Errands, Advances Plot

So: Money. What a pleasant idea and memory. Pickpocketing is all well and good, but I think I'll try it when I'm in less critical areas. For now... [shudder] WORK.

Here we are.

Not much, but it's a start.

I'm willing to work for a living... until I get my mitts on a decent lock breaking spell, than all your goods shall be MINE! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wait... did I say that out loud?

I'd better go before he comments.

I'd run off with the wand he gave me, but it doesn't have any power. It's certainly worth less than forty gold.

Anyways, a little bit of asking around reveals Miss Gwynausa's location... the Fighter's Guild.

Seriously? You were literally a four minute walk away from his shop, and you couldn't be assed to walk over and save your forty gold?

I look forward to breaking into your house at night.

Anyways, I need MOAR MONEY!

Innkeeper. Got it.

Here we go, the "Flying Dragon".

So far, everything has been fairly clustered together. I hope it stays this way.

I'm unsure as to whether he wants to give me a job or murder me in my sleep. I don't want to rest here.

Okay, I can work with that. Maybe there won't be the world's most horrifying ghost stalking me over in Galloford.

Nothing useful in this package, either. Oh well. Off to Galloford.

After a four day trek, I arrive in -

Ooh! Intrigue!

But, task first.

That's a ton better than 40.

Anyways, off to the Feather and Huntsman Hostel... after a bit of thievery.

The experience was emasculating. There were no locks I could break, no walls I could scale, no windows I could crack. I wandered from house to house, growing more and more frantic as I watched the moon cross the sky. My insecurities (now proven) came to a boil, I ran over to the clothing store and smashed the door in.

To my utter surprise and shock, it worked.

Unfortunately, every light in the hamlet came on, and three guards rushed at me. "HALT! HALT!" they shrieked, battering at my wounded soul like a particularly vicious harpy. I fled to the edge of the housing, with the guards rapidly closing in, and scanned back and forth very quickly.

There she was! "HEY! [insert name here]! GET OVER HERE!"

She flew over like lightning in the wind. I jumped on her, and we fled. Across the snowy landscape we flew, cutting trails where they were never meant to be, crushing mushrooms underfoot, listening to the "HALT!"s fading into nothingness.

I burrowed my shamed face into [insert name here]'s hair. "Good girl," I said with incredible heaviness.

That's it, I thought, as [insert name here] sped across the plains.
1. I need a lock breaking spell.
2. Drat, I forgot to take photos.
3. Unless someone bothers to suggest a good name, this horse is going to be very hard to refer to.

Anyways, now that my shame is behind me, off to meet Lady Brisienna.

Lady Brisienna, I presume.

Gee lady, thanks for the warning. Goodness, it appears I got off easily.

Great, I'm now in an espionage crime drama. Let me guess, we both fall in love, she must abandon me in a particularly dramatic scene, then realizes her folly, leaves her abusive husband and comes sprinting back to my arms so we can save the world together. In STYLE.

Oh, I hope not. I'm just here to nick people's stuff... eventually.

COMING UP: Either my grinding attempts for money, or me nicking people's stuff.

AND HORSE NAMES. Unless you WANT her to be named "[insert name here]", that is.

Fetzenfisch:
Don't know if mentioned yet, just found this great LP and started reading in thread one.
But for all of you willing to play without meddling with DOSBOX there are pre-configured packs of ElderScrolls Arena and Daggerfall that include DOSBOX

Because of you I've been spending a possibly unhealthy amount of time playing Daggerfall.

Not sure if I should thank you or smack you. Maybe both.

OT: I say name the horse Sebastian. Because that came to my head first.

Irridium:

Fetzenfisch:

Because of you I've been spending a possibly unhealthy amount of time playing Daggerfall.

Not sure if I should thank you or smack you. Maybe both.

OT: I say name the horse Sebastian. Because that came to my head first.

THANK YOU.

No more creepy misleading fanfic-style bits involving [insert name here].

Also, the point of the LP WAS to entice people to play it, so... mission successful, even if I took some help to make it happen.

lacktheknack:

THANK YOU.

No more creepy misleading fanfic-style bits involving [insert name here].

Also, the point of the LP WAS to entice people to play it, so... mission successful, even if I took some help to make it happen.

Well, [inser name here] is one sultry name...

And yes. Mission very successful. At least concerning me it is.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked