Stupid Beyond Relief Reviews: Angel Beats!

SBR Reviews

I'll be frank here: I only began watching Angel Beats! because of the pretty visuals. But as I watched more episodes, I found myself fascinated of the world of Angel Beats!.

In a nutshell, Angel Beats! is about the 'afterlife' of students who refuse to 'move on' to the next life because they still have some business left which has to done in order to make peace with the world and themselves. And so they wake-up in this afterlife high school where they are given the ability to complete their tasks and leave. And since they're already dead, they can't actually die again so even if they get injured, despite them feeling the pain, they'll wake up perfectly fine a few minutes later. So all in all, it's the school-life meet the supernatural. A setting original enough for me to enjoy it. Despite a few hiccups, it delivers its purpose as a good anime well. And when I finished it, I found out why. It was written by Jun Maeda. The writer behind critically acclaimed anime, Clannad[1]. And yet I was surprised... 'cause this anime lacks in the Character department.

The main characters (from left to right) Otonashi, Yuri, and Angel (Kanade).
The main characters (from left to right) Otonashi, Yuri, and Angel (Kanade).

Angel Beats! is centered around Yuzuru Otonashi . A student who wakes up in this Purgatory high-school to find that he has amnesia. The first line uttered to him is: "You are dead". This by Yuri Nakamura, a young girl who at the time is wielding a sniper rifle. Her target? Angel/Kanade Tachibana, the student council president whose job dictates her to make sure that all the lost souls finish their purpose and leave in peace. But it becomes obvious, that Yuri and Angel don't see eye-to-eye with constant battle erupting between them. The goal of Yuri? To rebel against God of that world and be disobedient to Angel. So it's basically high school kids shooting at a indestructible little girl in the knees.

Most of the characters in this anime are introduced at once and while they all seems one-sided, they provide comic relief to a great degree. They are, as described by one of the characters, stupid. They provide the humorous side to the anime and are quite fun to watch. Although there are some scenes which simply come off as annoying.

The characters of Angel Beats! (from left to right): Irie, Sekine, Takamatsu, Matsushita, TK, Naoi, Otonashi, Yuri, Angel (Kanade), Noda, Hinata, Yui, Ōyama, Fujimaki, Iwasawa, Hisako, Takeyama, Shiina, and Yusa.
The characters of Angel Beats! (from left to right): Irie, Sekine, Takamatsu, Matsushita, TK, Naoi, Otonashi, Yuri, Angel (Kanade), Noda, Hinata, Yui, Ōyama, Fujimaki, Iwasawa, Hisako, Takeyama, Shiina, and Yusa.

Angel Beats! has a sense of duality about it. It delivers both comedy and melodrama. Although, unfortunately, unevenly and it seems broken at places. Some gags seem repetitive after a few times and while I was still sceptical about it, two things changed it. Slow motion rewind and rocket chairs. The anime follow the same formula set by Clannad. Lull the viewer into a false sense of security and then drop the tragedy bomb. And these tragedies aren't exactly "my-puppy-died" material either; these are true tragedies which may pull a few heart strings. It makes you feel sympathetic for the characters. And while these do help in the character development, the number of episodes(13 in this case) weren't enough for me to feel any sort of "I-think-I'm-going-to-cry-Manly tears-now" moment. Hopefully, with the recent announcement of a second season, it'll be further explained and this time, hopefully, more clearly.

The anime feels rushed and so fails to convey any actual emotion. It would've been better if the half of the story was told, thus leaving the possibility of a second season open. As a consequence, some characters may have had to be cut but if that means better understanding of the character's goals and purpose then it's a fair sacrifice.

One more thing which has been bugging me from the beginning is in the poster. A gun. What I don't get is how high school students are allowed to carry such weapons. Now I know it's a Purgatory High school that doesn't mean that students can weapons around at their own leisure! Or maybe it's just me. A explanation is never given to why the students are given such radical freedom.

The sound and art direction of Angel Beats! is beautiful. These are the strongest assets this anime has going for. The overall music in the anime is amazing and fantastic to hear. and the style is beautiful and is very smooth. There are quite a few scenes which show-case these aspects very well. Particularly the scenes concerning the school rock band "Girls Dead Monster". The music and the animation styles in these scenes collide together to give a pretty show.

CONCLUSION:

Despite a number of hiccups, it's a great watch. From an artistic stand-point it's quite beautiful and story-wise it may not be the prettiest thing around but it is indeed a pleasure following the characters journey. APPROVED!

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] Still have to finish Clannad to be sure why all the noise about it.

Really great review you got here.. I must say it's impressive and well layed out including nice pictures and links organized altogether.

OT: ..Wow, this Anime seems to forward and to fast for my taste. It seems to be focusing to much on Introduction to the Characters and getting right along the plot. They're not giving insight on the actual story line nor giving us enough time to bond with the Characters (plus to many of them). Only good thing about this - Anime is well drawn. That's all.

This by Yuri Nakamura, a young girl who at the time is weilding a sniper rifle. Her target? Angel/Kanade Tachibana, the student council president whose job dictates her to make sure that all the lost souls finish their purpose and leave in peace.

Lol?? Really now, her target is a student council president.. and these girls get away with carrying weapons like it's natural (well least what I assume). That's.. something.. no offense.

XxRyanxX:
Really great review you got here.. I must say it's impressive and well layed out including nice pictures and links organized altogether.

Only good thing about this - Anime is well drawn. That's all.

Lol?? Really now, her target is a student council president.. and these girls get away with carrying weapons like it's natural (well least what I assume). That's.. something.. no offense.

Thank you! *bows*

The art style is truly lovely and yeah, it's fast paced and kinda confusing. And oddly enough, in one scene, in the cafeteria, a handgun is just lying on the table. And no one's doing anything about it. This is very confusing.

I must add that. :P

Yup, exactly how I feel for that anime. Fast paced and so characters feel almost a bit neglected at times, which is a shame as they are unique, but visuals and sounds are nice. Very nice. there are some spectacular scene that really show this off. If it had more on the characters or possibly if it took the story a bit more seriously at time, I'd get into it more then I am now. But as it is, it's one of those good but not great animes for me.

I guess I'll add it to my long long list of things to check out sooner or later.

Good review.

mParadox:

I must add that. :P

And I took my sweet time doing it.

xmbts:
I guess I'll add it to my long long list of things to check out sooner or later.

Good review.

Thank you! And I will make sure to add more and more things to that list in the future. :3

Best of the 3:
*snip*

True true.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked